PDA

View Full Version : Oh, sock bun waves...

winship2
June 13th, 2012, 10:26 AM
...how you give me Buffy Season 7 hair. Won't you stay with me forever??:love::love:

Hollyfire3
June 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Lol! If you put some aloe gel (the clear kind) or other styling product on damp hair then do the sock curls, they will last longer.

einna
June 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
They do?!? Oh, I am so going to try that! Just need to grow a few more inches of hair!

ETA: pics please! :D

fridgee
June 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yay! :cheese: BUT.... Pics or it didn't happen! :p

winship2
June 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Pics of the waves?? I thought this happened to everyone and was so well-known as to be hardly pic-worthy. But OK, I'll try to wear my hair in a sock bun tonight and take pictures of it tomorrow morning. My hair is quite straight and I've always wanted lovely, loose, big waves. Unfortunately with my smooth, slippery texture they don't last, but I will try the aloe suggestion. Hadn't occurred to me.

dollyfish
June 13th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I can never get proper sock bun waves :( I always leave too much hair through the sock donut and the tucked under ends become bent at right angles.

ETA: Hooray for Buffy. Love that show :cheese:

Mesmerise
June 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Sock bun waves don't work for me :( my hair ends up looking like a silly frizzy mess... no idea why :rolleyes:.

longNred
June 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I miss Buffy. Oh, and yay for great waves!

kidari
June 13th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Oh my gosh... I'm a huge Buffy fan and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about when you say "Buffy Season 7 Hair." Seriously, you need to post some pics, because that is some awesome hair.

winship2
June 13th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Well, I won't put it in a sock bun tonight, because I just washed it ahead of my 6 month trim tomorrow, and I want to go with my hair looking like it usually does since she'll be cutting it dry. But maybe after that, late tomorrow morning I'll dampen it and put it up until the evening. You guys should try it too; we'll see if we can refine our techniques together!

My ends are layered and it can be difficult to get them tucked neatly too. I have wondered about slipping a bit of the end of a sheer stocking over the layered end of my ponytail and wrapping it like that. I don't know if I could get the stocking-covered part covered by the rest of my hair during the day, but it would certainly be extra-protective at night. I could even oil the ends a bit more generously then.

In the meantime, check out the great waves Loepsie gets on her YouTube video. That's where I first heard of this. if anyone has any ideas to add for making the most of these waves I'd love to hear them. I just don't have the patience for other heat-free wave methods, but these are so easy to make, and look quite natural.

braidgirl22
June 14th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I miss that show.

Littlewing13
June 14th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Sock bun waves don't work for me :( my hair ends up looking like a silly frizzy mess... no idea why :rolleyes:.

Me too. Cinnabun waves look heaps better on me :)

MintChocChip
June 14th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I miss that show.

You and me both! I'm still trying to update my old Buffy videos onto dvds. Some day :crush:

Kittyxx
June 14th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I seriously just looked at this thread and went 'oh yeah !' I knew sock bun curls reminded me of someone lol

luxepiggy
June 14th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Eventually they will become sockbun curls (^(oo)^)v
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=86932

bluesnowflake
June 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
OH, jealous (: I've tried sockbunning and it results in a tangled mess that looks nothing like a bun. Cinnabun waves turn out wonderfully for me- I've just given up on sock buns. Congrats on pretty hair!

winship2
June 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
OH, jealous (: I've tried sockbunning and it results in a tangled mess that looks nothing like a bun. Cinnabun waves turn out wonderfully for me- I've just given up on sock buns. Congrats on pretty hair!

Pretty hair for a few minutes, anyway:rolleyes: But I'm getting really excited about this idea of covering the layered section of my "ponytail" (I don't use an elastic when I sock bun) in a cut-off stocking and then bunning. I think this would make the waves way easier to tuck, smoother and more organized. Going to try it tonight!

MychelleC
June 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Buffy Season 7 hair - you are after my heart! It is one of her best hair seasons (I like season 5 hair as well). I watch Buffy all the time on Netflix. :)

MissEarlGrey
June 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I haven't had any luck with sock bun waves in the past but I'm kind of motivated to try again.

winship2
June 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Buffy Season 7 hair - you are after my heart! It is one of her best hair seasons (I like season 5 hair as well). I watch Buffy all the time on Netflix. :)

Yup, 5 is good too. I wonder how much of that is "her" hair, i.e. at all consistent with her hair's natural tendencies? It must be hard on actresses who care about their hair to have constant heat, chemical, and mechanical damage to fit in their roles. They ended up with a lovely color on her-- that rich gold is beautiful.

winship2
June 14th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I haven't had any luck with sock bun waves in the past but I'm kind of motivated to try again.

You should try again and share your results!

Tehillim408
June 18th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I haven't had any luck with sock buns either :( My hair ends up looking frizzy and flat on top.

KylieAnne
June 18th, 2012, 11:07 AM
sock bun waves don't work well for me either... have those of you that have frizzy problems with sock buns tried headband curls? I find this works sooo much better for me. I also do a different type of sock bun... really it's just a big twisty bun I secure with the sock because it holds it there without the damage and gives me similar results to what the sock bun should....

TiffanieJean
June 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I LOVE me some sock buns (see signature pic lol)! :bluebiggr