PDA

View Full Version : Questions about clarifying shampoo

LaUvas
June 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Hi! I'm a newbie and I have a few questions about clarifiying shampo, I didn't really know what was it or what it's used for before I joined LHC and read many comments about it. I'm guessing it's an important part of hair care routine that I'm missing so I'd like to know more about it.

So I understood its main use is to get rid of buildup and leave your hair clean of any product, but how necessary is this? does it really affect later hair washes or treatments? How do you know if there's any buildup on your hair?

I would also be grateful if you could recommend me any types or brands of good clarifiying shampoo (I only know the one by Pantene, is that one good?) and any further tips about its use.

Thanks in advance! :)

SpinDance
June 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Here is an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=224)on clarifying. And here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194)is an article on how to figure out whether you need to clarify.

Madora
June 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Neutrogena Anti-Residue clarifying shampoo has several positive comments in the Reviews section.

Every time you put something on your hair, it leaves a tiny trace and gradually buildup will occur.

The clarifying shampoo strips your hair of all buildup. Be sure to use some type of moisturizing product after you clarify.

Personally, I would not recommend clarifying too often, unless you use a lot of product on your hair.

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I also recommend not clarifying too often. I only do it when my ends feel rough, dry and crunchy.

Also, always follow a clarifying wash with a moisturizing treatment.

LaUvas
June 14th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks a lot for your advice! The articles were really helpful :)

I'll try to get the one by Neutrogena, I did a search and read a few reviews and seems it's great, so I'll definitely give it a go. I've never clarified before so I'm looking forward to see how it turns out!

Thanks again!

Elanadi
June 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
oooh, I think I need to do this! Thanks for posting the links, SpinDance, that is so helpful!

Dreamers91
June 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I don't personally used a clarifying shampoo to clarify. I just use nondiluted suave naturals shampoo, and it does the trick for me. Plus, it's cheap! :-)