PDA

View Full Version : The best thing you have ever done for your hair

Mariacus9
June 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
So, the title is pretty self explanatory. What is the best thing you have ever done for your hair. This could be a deep conditioning treatment you have taken up, a new product, or a healthy habit. :)

auburntressed
June 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Henna - best thing for my scalp. What's good for my scalp is good for my hair.

boofles
June 13th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I always feel like the latest thing I've done is the best thing, each new conditioner gives me more shine / softness than the one before.

That said, that makes it the LUSH Henna and Jasmine Defluff :) Never had so much softness and shine as I get from that!

Wayuki
June 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
The best thing I did was to stop wearing backpacks with my hair down.

My backpack was eating away at my hemline without me realizing it. As a result, I was stuck with a false terminal length of APL for some 15 years! :doh:

SerinaDaith
June 13th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joining LHC. I am learning to take care of my antique lace!

longhairedleah
June 13th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I always feel like the latest thing I've done is the best thing

It feels that way for me too!!

Although the first thing I ever did, which eventually led me to LHC, was mayonnaise in my hair, and I still think that was the greatest discovery.

My latest addition though is CO, and I feel so silly for my skepticism all this time! It's been a bit over a month since I started (I think), and I just love it!

kitschy
June 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Wow, so hard to decide. I'm a porous curly, so I need all of these:

Protein
Moisture
Air dry - do NOT touch!

Any of these single things fail without the other

Bianca
June 13th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Stop dying it..... although I am thinking about doing it again sometimes, at the moment im thinking about lightening the ends a little (ombre), or going red (but in a healthy way, no NOT henna) ;) But had my virgin hair for so long. Afraid i'll regret it.

Vampyria
June 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I stopped dyeing and sold my flat iron. :D Plus using natural products and oils.

Alexblue
June 13th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Using a chelating shampoo. We live in an area with very hard water and it never occurred to me the effect it might have on my hair. I was about to cut a good 4-6inches off my ends thinking they were damaged, but I used a chelating shampoo and after one application they were silk!

By the way, I first read about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194). Thank you Gladtobemom! I now plan to use the shampoo once every 2-4 weeks in addition to my normal CO wash.

OrganicJewel
June 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM
sleeping with a silk cap on. It's the only that has helped me to stretch washes and it leaves my hair moisturised and silky-shiny in the morning (I guess since my cotton pillow case isn't sucking the moisture out of my hair at night anymore). I can't imagine not protecting my hair at night now, it's made such a big difference!

hyettf16
June 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Coconut oil.

Thinthondiel
June 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Not using sulphates anymore, except for clarifying. Before, I used sulphate shampoo every time I washed my hair, which made my hair dry and frizzy and made my scalp flake (which made me think I had dandruff).

LaUvas
June 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
For me the best thing was to realise what I was doing wrong and of course, start doing it right, for example:

-Saying goodbye to the blowdryer forever and ever. luckily I did that looong ago, and I've never needed to use flat irons (thank god).
-Stop piling up my hair when washing it. It gets a lot more tangled.
-Stop detangling it with one of those plastic brushes with balls at the ends, when it's still wet. I think that was the WORST thing that I used to do, it hurt like hell as well as causing a LOT of breakage. I just use a wide tooth comb now, and I try to wait until it's dry if possible, and I also bought a boar bristle brush too, which I love, it leaves my hair shiny and clean.
-Wearing it down all the time. I realised that when you reach a certain length wearing it down all the time is not a good idea, it gets tangled a lot more (specially on windy days) and it can break because of friction against bags/bacpacks/chairs/etc. I try to wear it up as much as I can now.

I think those are the best habit changes I made in the past few years. I don't think I can give much advice about haircare products as I'm still experimenting!

dollyfish
June 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Quitting chemical dye cold turkey and ACV rinses! My hair loves ACV like none other and my previously 1c frizzy lion's mane has returned to the 2bish soft texture I had as a toddler. Couldn't be more pleased :)

BrightEyes
June 13th, 2012, 10:21 AM
The best thing for me has been giving up heat styling. I have a crop of new baby hairs growing all over my head as proof of how damaging it was. And the overall condition of my hair has greatly improved since I've put down the blow dryer and flat iron.

Also sleeping on a silk pillowcase and changing to seamless wide tooth combs.

jacqueline101
June 13th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Besides joining here I'd say oiling my hair.

LadyHazel
June 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Accepting my hair texture and colour instead of dying it and using heat to change it, embrace what you've got right!

faellen
June 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I made a difficult decision to stop blowdrying my hair on the high heat setting. This was hard for me as my hair takes so long to air dry, and I'm often so busy I prefer a quick fix. But it's really made a difference to the condition of my hair, so I'll carry on for now, lol.

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Coconut oil and s&ding :)

frodolaughs
June 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Learning to do updo's, and doing them regularly.

~honeyflower~
June 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM
The best thing I did for my hair is using coconut and argan oil, switching from my old shampoo and conditioner to V05 I love the blackberry one! brushing more gently with a boar bristle brush and detangling with my fingers gently, silk sleep cap, no more blowdrying, and no more high lightening or perms. Basically everything I learned was from TLHC and it made my hair so silky and shiny. Overall, finding TLHC was my greatest discovery.

LadyTheta
June 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Getting a chlorine-eliminating water filter shower wand for my hair and skin.

RitaCeleste
June 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Pre-oiling and deep conditioning. I never knew you could do that to hair before coming to this site. Before when my hair got to waist the ends were such a mess and really thin and pointy. Coloring it with chemicals made it softer but I'm gonna be even nicer now, I ordered Henna. I spoil it sometimes now. I hope the hair that doesn't get treated with chemicals will feel okay. Gotta try the henna though. :cheese:

dakota77
June 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM
The main ones for me:
1. getting rid of cones and sulphates
2. only washing once a week
3. oil
4. henna (BIG shine increase!)

RedheadMistress
June 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM
- I stopped straightening my hair and started loving my natural texture . . (as natural as damaged curls are) . .

MissManda
June 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Microtrimming.

I don't like short hair on me, so cutting off all of the damaged length was not an option for me. Microtrims allowed me to maintain a balance of length and increased hair health, plus they feel very empowering since I don't need to rely on someone else to do it and I actually feel like I'm doing something productive. My hemline went from being so thin I couldn't measure the thickness to being 3.25" thick, which makes me very happy.

I don't do monthly microtrims anymore because my hair is still very healthy, but I dust the ends instead to keep my hemline from getting too uneven.

ETA: Now that I think of it, microtrimming is probably tied with quitting putting artificial chemical treatments (demi-dye, bleach, perm solution, and even SLS) on my hair. My hair can withstand mechanical and heat damage, but that other stuff just makes my poor hair crumble.

dwell_in_safety
June 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM
CO-washing, definitely.

KwaveT
June 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I have to say learning to properly detangle and using conditioner. It has allowed my spiraling waves to come alive in my hair as it has grown.

Tisiloves
June 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Proper handling and henna :cheese:

Sewas
June 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Best thing was to stop getting permanents for my short, curly helmet head hairdo, letting my hair grow out, and joining LHC. Wish I would have done it sooner.

JellyBene
June 13th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I would have to say henna

jenni0416
June 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Realizing that wearing my waist+ length hair contained was actually better than wearing it loose, even if I'm thinning.

Also being gentle with brushing and using a smooth wide-toothed comb almost always.

Mommyof4
June 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM
The best thing I did was not using dye or heat.... I'm trying to get back to that now.

rapunzhell13
June 13th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Best thing I ever did for my hair was... leave it alone! Seriously. It does best when I don't tamper with it too much. :)

mallorykay13
June 13th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Bought a jar of coconut oil.

Hollyfire3
June 14th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Best thing I ever did for my hair was... leave it alone! Seriously. It does best when I don't tamper with it too much. :)

Love your saying under your username...cat in disguise as a human, I'm right there with you lol! Love it!:D

palaeoqueen
June 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Stopped bleaching and straightening, it's hard to say which hs had the biggest effect.

MintChocChip
June 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Oiling my ends :) Oh and not putting my hair up in a towel on top of my head and instead just leaving my hair to air dry down my back with a towel underneath.

Henrietta
June 16th, 2012, 01:35 PM
From treatments, SMT.
From products- Hello Hydration by Herbal Essences- mask and condish, Gliss Kur Shea Cashmere mask. It all made immediate difference :)

Nikinka
June 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
absolutely henna ;)

halfbroke
June 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Stopped flat ironing it about 2 years ago. :)

starry
June 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM
wo washing

prettykitty
June 16th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Has to be henna. The shine, thickness and health it gives my hair are more than worth the mess I make doing it ;)

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Staying away from heat styling as much as possible, deep conditioning treatments, massaging my scalp, not brushing it too much (only before I shower and if I still have tangles later I finger comb), lurking and joining LHC, oiling my hair, and using an avocado/olive oil/honey hair repair treatment :D I am on my way to waist length! :cheese:

lauren_n
July 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Only washing my hair once a week- for my whole life I have said that my hair 'just doesn't grow' and everybody in my family would agree, but as soon as I cut down the washing the improvement was amazing. I hear other people complaining about their hair not growing and getting oily despite it being washed every day and nobody believes me when I tell them to leave it alone. More recently, cutting out sulfates, parabens, cones etc. It's already helped so much!

catamonica
July 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Spraying olive oil & water on my hair, before I wash it. And adding oil to my shampoo & conditioner, and Aloe Vera gel. And using conditioner twice on my hair in the shower. It's much softer.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Going natural :)

Arciela
July 4th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Stopped bleaching :)

Alexblue
July 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Ditching my blow dryer and straightener. Sometimes I have bad hair days (that doesn't disappear with LHC) but without the blow dryer to mask them I have learnt overtime what my hair likes and doesn't like.
To work with the natural texture of my hair and identify the oils and products that work best.

Diamond.Eyes
July 4th, 2012, 02:22 PM
No heat or dye, and to be a coconut oil fiend! :D

Ebrox
July 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
probably henna!

NataschaB.
July 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Stopped using my flatiron
Started taking better care of my hair in general (sulfate free shampoo, oiling regularly, only finger combing my hair, stopped using cones etc.)

blaketob
July 4th, 2012, 04:16 PM
stopped using heat on my hair :)

MeowScat
July 6th, 2012, 03:16 AM
That's a great question and I've been mulling it over for a while now.

I'd have to say the best thing I've done is going back to using Biolage Conditioning Balm and also the Sally Generic Brand of it.

I used it for about a decade when I was dying my hair, blowfrying and ripping a brush through it and it still felt soft. Then I heard you shouldn't use the same conditioner for that long so I started experimenting with others for the past few years. I wish I had stuck with Biolage.

Now I'm back to using it and my hair has never felt or looked this good. I hope they never stop making it, I'd be lost.

nowheregirl
July 6th, 2012, 03:45 AM
using olive oil.

minxe
July 6th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Organic shampoos and regular oilings!

XcaliburGirl
July 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM
For my scalp, the best thing I ever did was avoid silicones.

Frankly, my hair is basically the same as it's always been.

velvetvenus
July 9th, 2012, 10:53 AM
No heat/Giovanni products (love them) using a wide tooth wooden comb and olive oil! I have been using coconut oil since May and thought it was good but have just started with Olive oil and it is AMAZING, my hair is in love:p

RachieBaby
July 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
-Stopping using my hair straighteners everyday, I only use them once or twice a month now, if that.
-Putting my hair up 90% of the time
- Coconut oil, got to love that stuff!

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Stopped heat styling.

RiotPrrl
July 13th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Definitely henna. It makes my hair so thick and skiny! :D

ManeSqueeze
July 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Using the time that I was at swim practice in high school as deep treatment time for my hair. I would hop in the shower before practice, wet my hair thoroughly, then put in a bit of conditioner or oil depending on what I had. Then I'd put my hair into a high bun, pop on my silicon swim cap (it didn't pull hair, even if you put it on when it was dry!), and go through the 2 hour practice. After practice I used this special shampoo that got rid of chlorine and smelled like oranges. It came in this green translucent bottle, and it was super awesome for swimmer hair.

I managed to keep my hair feeling soft and happy through about 4 years of that sport. Well, save for the little one along the nape of my neck that were eaten away by the chlorine. :violin:

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 09:00 AM
I'd say henna for one it has kept me from using chemical dyes . I tried dying it black with chemical dye over henna years ago and it didn't take lol . Thankyou henna for canceling out my dye happy thoughts lol . Also returning to cones . I know cone free is a god send for many but I ended up with baby dreads , tangles, splits , and breakage :( . Learning my hair doesn't care for much protein and to avoid protein heavy treatments . And last but not least . Dove dry oil serum , it makes me tangle free and super smooth and seals in my moisture .

Begemot
December 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Can't decide which one would be the best so I'll just say that giving up both heat and dye.

Taenarian
December 26th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Ah well the first best thing I've done for my hair is join LHC. All the rest comes from the knowledge shares here.

abauer789
December 26th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Growing out my natural hair color
Stretching washes
Blow drying on cool setting or air drying and scrunching to encourage natural wave
Learning so many great things on LHC!

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Stopped using sulfates. Man, those things can be evil.

Johannah
December 26th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Wearing it up every day!

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 10:39 AM
- Learning to put hair up;
- Stopping all damaging practices (bleach);
- Becoming gentler with hair (no more rough brushing hair when wet).

FallingDarkness
December 26th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Definitely joining LHC. I've learned so much.
But other than that, wearing my hair up so often has massively increased my hair's growth, just because my ends are no longer being constantly damaged! Also, wearing my hair up has also led to me stretching my washes to once every 7-9 days, which has worked wonders for the overall texture of my hair.

Arete
December 26th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Getting rid of cones. My hair and scalp hate them!

MINAKO
December 26th, 2014, 01:34 PM
CO and keratin smoothing. heavy oiling too, but i wouldnt consider the effect of all that oil i slap on my head as dramatic in comparison.

Cinnamonagouti
December 27th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Probably stop brushing it when dry... Or stop using 'cones and sulfates.

MagicalCurls
December 27th, 2014, 04:25 AM
The best thing I do to my hair is leave it alone. When I hassle it and manipulate it, its unhappy and starts to appear damaged and tangled. Now I just leave it braided up and it has grown 1&1/2" in a month.
Second thing is doing the inversion method. That's helped my scalp feel better.
Third would be my hair diary which may seem a bit extreme/unnecessary to some but it has helped me find products that actually work really well so I don't make the same mistake and buy things that react badly with my hair.
Still a long way to go.

jsmine
December 27th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Stop using heat on it and started with coconut oil!

askan
December 27th, 2014, 04:42 AM
Probably to stop dyeing it. Still struggeling with my bleached ends but I'm slowly trimming the damage off. AND learning how to detangle without destroing my hair!

AmethystLily
December 27th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Micro-trims and sealing my ends. I find I retain length and softness when I add oil to my ends while my hair's still damp from a fresh wash.

prankdemon
December 27th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Taking vit D (I found out I have a deficiency) and buying a tangle teezer.