PDA

View Full Version : What ingredients do you have in your bathroom?

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
So I know a lot of us use food items for our hair. I currently have:

Apple cider vinegar - ACV rinses
Honey - Mix with conditioner
Coconut oil (although I've never used this in the kitchen...) - Moisturizer
Rose water - Just for the lovely smell, I pour it on my hair right before exiting the shower :flower:

What is in your bathroom and what do you use it for?

caadam
June 13th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Bragg's raw, unfiltered ACV
Rose water

And I used to have honey in my bathroom... buuuut I don't use it on my hair anymore. lol It's given me no real benefits, TBH. But ACV really has! For those extra itchy scalp days.

The rose water I use as a perfume for my hair. It lingers for a few days, and it smells so nice on the third day. ♥

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Bragg's raw, unfiltered ACV
Rose water

And I used to have honey in my bathroom... buuuut I don't use it on my hair anymore. lol It's given me no real benefits, TBH. But ACV really has! For those extra itchy scalp days.

The rose water I use as a perfume for my hair. It lingers for a few days, and it smells so nice on the third day. ♥

Yes, I adore rose water :crush: And acv rinses make my hair sooo much easier to comb. I just started trying honey, so we'll see...

TheMechaGinger
June 13th, 2012, 01:14 AM
White vinegar and coconut oil

MintChocChip
June 13th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Honey and coconut oil! Both of which I eat! Yum.

GaJunebug
June 13th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Rose water and coconut oil. (I'm seeing a trend beginning - )

PolarCathy
June 13th, 2012, 02:21 AM
ACV - I use it on my roots every couple of days, not as a hair rinse

besan (chickpea flour) and rice flour -- this is something I used often as "shampoo" (poured in an empty conditioner bottle, added water or tea, shaken up violently)

almond oil

That's about it (castor doesn't count right? That has nothing to do in a kitchen anyways)

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Honey and coconut oil! Both of which I eat! Yum.

I've never actually eaten coconut oil, and I HATE honey with a passion lol but if my hair likes it... :p

Rose water and coconut oil. (I'm seeing a trend beginning - )

Yes! Who doesn't like rose water? (Rose pudding *drool*) :yumm:

ACV - I use it on my roots every couple of days, not as a hair rinse

besan (chickpea flour) and rice flour -- this is something I used often as "shampoo" (poured in an empty conditioner bottle, added water or tea, shaken up violently)

almond oil

That's about it (castor doesn't count right? That has nothing to do in a kitchen anyways)

That chickpea concoction sounds interesting :hmm: What does it do for your hair?

PolarCathy
June 13th, 2012, 02:39 AM
That chickpea concoction sounds interesting :hmm: What does it do for your hair?

I said.. it's shampoo! And a good one. Except for if your hair hates protein. It has a little "nutty" aftersmell that goes away.

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I said.. it's shampoo! And a good one. Except for if your hair hates protein. It has a little "nutty" aftersmell that goes away.

I meant besides the shampoo part :p are there any added benefits?

PolarCathy
June 13th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I meant besides the shampoo part :p are there any added benefits?

Oh! Yes; not only that abut 3 tablespoon on me (soaked for a while and shaken up ) can remove a heavy oiling in about 5 minutes, but it makes my already thick hair look significantly thicker and lush. Must be some kind of (water-soluble) coating.

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Oh! Yes; not only that abut 3 tablespoon on me (soaked for a while and shaken up ) can remove a heavy oiling in about 5 minutes, but it makes my already thick hair look significantly thicker and lush. Must be some kind of (water-soluble) coating.

Ooh I'm going to have to try that since I have fine hair. :D

Dars
June 13th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I only keep coconut oil in the bathroom. I do use other food ingredients but they remain in the kitchen as they are used more regularly there. I am intrigued by the rose water! Sounds heavenly...

PolarCathy
June 13th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Ooh I'm going to have to try that since I have fine hair. :D

Some people find that it makes their hair rough. Not me. If you are one of them next time soak some fenugreek separately and mix the two liquids. FG gives some slip. But then it doesn't thicken as much in my experience. I found that it thickens most if I leave it in my hair for say 15-20 minutes like a henna mud. I recommend that you oil your very ends first because it can be a bit drying. You can Google about it, there is a lot of info available (if you search for besan) and also there was this interesting thread here (basically all kinds of lentil or bean flours are good): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53937

My last post related to this was that I'd stop using it because it strips my indigo. Since then I found that practically everything does, so it may be not the besan's fault. But if your hair is colored then be careful. Who knows.

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I only keep coconut oil in the bathroom. I do use other food ingredients but they remain in the kitchen as they are used more regularly there. I am intrigued by the rose water! Sounds heavenly...

You should definitely give it a try. I usually keep a small bottle of it in my shower. I know some people add it to their shampoo. But I pour some on my hair right before I step out of the shower, and don't rinse it out! It smells glorious :flower:

Some people find that it makes their hair rough. Not me. If you are one of them next time soak some fenugreek separately and mix the two liquids. FG gives some slip. But then it doesn't thicken as much in my experience. I found that it thickens most if I leave it in my hair for say 15-20 minutes like a henna mud. I recommend that you oil your very ends first because it can be a bit drying. You can Google about it, there is a lot of info available (if you search for besan) and also there was this interesting thread here (basically all kinds of lentil or bean flours are good): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53937

My last post related to this was that I'd stop using it because it strips my indigo. Since then I found that practically everything does, so it may be not the besan's fault. But if your hair is colored then be careful. Who knows.

Thank you! This is going on my list of things to do :eyebrows:

Zesty
June 13th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I use honey mixed with my conditioner when it's humid enough, white vinegar as a final rinse in the shower, and olive oil as a leave in. :)

auburntressed
June 13th, 2012, 04:42 AM
The only things that are literally in my bathroom are ACV and honey. The ACV I use to mix with water for a rinse, and the honey I use on my face and neck before stepping into the shower.

But as far as hygiene-related uses of foodstuffs... I also use EVOO for deep oiling treatments, and I use coconut oil as a leave in.

I think that's all I've done so far, but I'm always open to trying new foods on my skin and hair. Better on than in, I say!

Haha, not always, though. EVOO is actually quite good for you, and I've noticed that just about every food that is useful topically is good for you.

dollyfish
June 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I have a box of baking soda on my bathroom floor, and a bottle of ACV (that I refill from a gallon jug) in with my shower things.

My coconut oil is still in the kitchen! It's in a cupboard, but I only use it for my hair...

Then I have honey, EVOO, white vinegar, etc, but I use those for cooking too so they also live in the kitchen.

Kittykins
June 13th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I keep my hair stuff in a plastic box under my bed. Food stuffs I also use for my hair are almond oil, macadamia oil, rose water, molasses (instead of honey for SMT), rooibos tea, cocoa powder, ACV, paprika (in my henna mix) and instant coffee (also in henna mix). I do use coconut oil but my one is infused with lemon and Indian herbs so I don't think it would taste very nice. :p

Jing
June 13th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I only keep a small jar of ACV in the bathroom since I use it on my face as well as my hair. Everything else that doubles as food is in the kitchen (though I hardly ever use ACV for food, actually...).

Bedhead
June 13th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Coconut oil to wash my face. I bring the olive oil in on days I cut my hair, to oil my ends. But that's it! :)

afu
June 13th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I use honey to wash my face and for SMTs, lemon juice as a post wash rinse, coconut oil and sweet almond oil (not sure if SAO is edible) as leave ins and SAO for OCM

EndlessSunshine
June 13th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Honey, olive oil, vinegars, I keep the lemon juice in the fridge, teas, rosemary,...lol
My friends use all this expensive stuff and the men will complain about how much it costs...My husband just is like, "She has a bunch of food she sticks in her hair" Though I did find another person who oils their hair. I love honey for my face. I have been using honey since I was a teenager and it keeps my skin clear along with the baking soda.
A guy at my husbands work has really bad poison Ivy an his doctor has him bathing in a vinegar bath! Hey if it works it works!

juicy-glitter
June 13th, 2012, 08:22 AM
ACV
White Vinegar
Do clarifying shampoos count?
Baking Soda
Aloe Vera
&honeys in the kitchen for hubby to eat;)

IvanaGil
June 13th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I keep my hair stuff in a plastic box under my bed. Food stuffs I also use for my hair are almond oil, macadamia oil, rose water, molasses (instead of honey for SMT), rooibos tea, cocoa powder, ACV, paprika (in my henna mix) and instant coffee (also in henna mix). I do use coconut oil but my one is infused with lemon and Indian herbs so I don't think it would taste very nice. :p

Whoa! That's a whole lotta stuff :p

Coconut oil to wash my face. I bring the olive oil in on days I cut my hair, to oil my ends. But that's it! :)

I've never heard of coconut oil as a face wash :hmm: