PDA

View Full Version : Nape hair oddity

manderly
March 16th, 2008, 01:30 AM
In the last month or two my nape hair has seemed to completely change on me. It's like I got a hair transplant along the base of my skull from a gorilla's arse or something!

It's been super duper knotty, and when I feel it between my fingers it feels coarse, kinky, and dry. It just absolutely doesn't feel like the rest of my hair anymore! I've tried combating it with SMTs, DTs, and oiling, but I can't seem to make it feel like my own hair again.

And the knots I've been getting are so epic that only a pair of scissors and a giant spider-ball of hair can get rid of them.

I like to sleep with my hair over my pillow (off my neck), and I think maybe this is contributing to this, although this is how I've always slept and I've never had my hair feel so weird before. I bought a sleep cap the other day, I'll start wearing it tonight.

But really....what gives? It seemed to just totally change on me overnight.

And all my hair in general has been uber-tangly, I've been S&Ding the spots my comb gets stuck in. My ends are plagued by bends and hooks, but no real splits. The hooks are enough to knot up.

So, what gives?

ktani
March 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Have you changed products recently?

I had that problem too a good while back - the reason - build-up.

I recommend a change of products to what you used before and or clarifying.

I think in general - for me anyway - nape hair tends to be finer in texture - and more subject to build-up.

I no longer have that problem and my nape hair grew back in from breakage and tangling that had resulted in one section not growing past 4 inches or so.

k_hepburn
March 16th, 2008, 02:40 AM
It's like I got a hair transplant along the base of my skull from a gorilla's arse or something!

:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

Thank you, manderly, you just started my day with a really good laugh!

The first thing I thought of from the description of your problems is what kind of pillowcases you are using. If you aren't already using them, it might be worth switching to silk or cotton satin (that's a kind of cotton with a smoothened shiny surface), it might help you preventing tangles.

I second the idea of clarifying one in a while, too. You might want to try an ACV rinse (I use about two tablespoons of cider vinegar to a litre of water, but I like mine strong...), making sure you catch the nape hairs.

Greetings

katharine

FrannyG
March 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I agree with the idea of possibly needing to clarify. If you do, follow up with lots of moisture--another SMT perhaps.

Definitely I'd recommend following with a mild ACV rinse to make sure that you close the cuticle of your hair. Clarifying does open the cuticle, making it great for absorbing moisture, but you want to make sure that you close it up afterward.

I hope that helps. :)

manderly
March 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'll give it a go. I think I've been wary of clarifying since I just chemically dyed my hair and I don't want to fade it.

I bought some SLS poo for my BF, I'll wash well with that and see how that works out for me.

Thanks for the input!

Anje
March 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I was going to echo the "try clarifying" call. Also wanted to say that many of us have nape hairs (and/or temple hairs) that are a different texture from the rest of our hair. While most of mine is roughly 1c, I have 2a-2b temple tufts, and 3aish curlicues at my nape.

Blueglass
March 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Manderly, it sounds hormonal. Do you have a thyroid problem I do and I have hair like that on my crown especially. It is coarse and knots and splits and breaks easily. I've been on thyroid replacement sense last Oct but it's still there. I don't know what to do.

chelles2kids
March 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hi Manderly. Yes, I have the same types of problems at the nape as you are describing. However since buying a satin pillowcase it has helped tremendously.
I too also slept with my hair up over the top of my pillow and I am awful for tossing back and forth and this of course rubs my head on my pillow when I sleep and weakens my nape hair even more.

I think most people have a completely different consistency at the nape, the hair there is just a bit more thin, and doesn't match the hair on the rest of your head.
Since it's underneath it's almost as though it doesn't need to be as strong or resilent as the rest of your hair?
Mine is the same exact way.

I really don't know if clarifying will help, it's never made mine act any differently. It's just one of those things that I've come to learn to live with unfortunately. I'm just so thankful that no one else can see it, 'cause it ain't too purty to look at.
But I would highly recommend a different type of pillowcase to see if that might give you some relief.

Michelle

frizzinator
March 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Necklaces will do that to my nape hair.

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I just posted about this a couple of weeks ago. I had been using a high thread count pillowcase as opposed to a satin one and I got my satin one out again and VOILA, problem MUCH better! I also had been neglecting gently finger detangling every day, misting and oiling over it lightly. Mine is a whole lot better although I think part of it is just that my hair is getting longer. I have never had it this long and am not use to the unique problems of it.

Melisande
March 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I would keep the hair in an updo so that the nape area gets air, and would mist often to keep it moisturized.

Essential oil massages at night may help normalize hair growth and a satin pillowcase avoids major tangling at night. I would put the nape hair to sleep soaked with a of aloe vera gel, shea butter and jojoba oil, and then put it in a gentle bun, maybe covered with a silk cloth.

You may check your nutrition or medication - maybe a change occured that upset your hairgrowth pattern, and the nape area shows it?

Did you try a protein treatment?

Billie
March 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I have the same thing. my hair in my neck is very dry and coarse. Actually, it's a whole different hairtype altogether. It's much thicker and very strangely kinky.
Although it hasn't always been like that, it is like this for several years. There is nothing I can do. My mum has the same thing, so it might be heriditary.

I just read someone making a connection with thyroid issues. I have been tested on that some time ago, but nothing was found. But I was tested because my mum suffers from thyroid health problems. So it might have something to do with that after all.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 07:48 AM
My nape hair is lighter, softer, finer, curlier....i like it :)

Amari
March 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
My nape hair is completely different than anything else on my head. It's the only place I have curls.

heidihug
March 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
When I was pregnant, my nape hairs grew in quite curly, and I have very straight hair. So it could be hormonal - you're not pregnant, are you?:)

Katze
March 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
my nape hair is curlier, coarser, drier, and does not seem to want to grow long. On bad hair days it poofs up along my neck while the rest of my length hangs flat and lank on top of it. Updos don't help because then these "nape pubes" (sorry, but they are like nothing other than body hair!) then fuzz and sproing out all along the back of my head.

Oiling helps, as does misting. I also use a bit of hair gel on my hair when it's freshly washed, and make sure to fingercomb them as straight as they can get.

It's just genetic.

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
yep i got this too and around my temples, its so frizzy like a 3b no kidding!

emeraldjoy
March 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I am so glad for this thread! I have curly, knotted, coarse hair at the nape as well. I have tried everything. I left SMT on for hours and S&D because most of it is severely damaged. At one point I cut it several inches shorter then the rest of my hair.

I am thinking about cutting some of it really short and trying to coax it into spirals that hang down when I do updos. Do you think this would be a mistake?

CopperHead
March 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
My nape hair is lighter, softer, finer, curlier....i like it :)

Same here. :) I actually keep mine trimmed so I won't get the tangles and it curls into little ringlets too. People think I curl my nape hairs to get them that way. ;)