PDA

View Full Version : How damaging do you think these are?

HintOfMint
June 12th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I was browsing on Ulta and I came across these rollers. http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2237570&productId=xlsImpprod3820303&navAction=push&navCount=1

A friend of mine used them and her curls turned out amazing and they lasted all day. Seriously, they were curling-iron-perfect, smooth and shiny.

The problem is (besides the price) I'm not sure how damaging they are. They're like little heated ceramic shells covering a curl you make. On one hand it seems to be less direct heat than say a flat iron, or a traditional curling iron. On the other hand, it is still a hot surface that has at least some contact with the hair.

I asked my friend if they damaged her hair and she said no. But her hair is maintained a bit shorter than BSL so her (possibly already resilient) hair may get trimmed before damage shows.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here used them?

snowcloud
June 12th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Considering I am a guy with no experience with these sort of things I guess I not the best to anwser but.. they have a weird design.. and don't leave seem a little difficult to work with.. Hand curling each curl into those little clamps looks like a pain.. :confused:

I wouldn't assume they would be any less damaging than any thing else that would "heat" your hair though..

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I have this! I don't think its very damaging but you need tons to do you whole head! I can't curl all of my hair at once with these...but the curls I get are beautiful. I would say get them, they are easy to use and the curls do last a while. Just be sure to use a settign product before hand so the curls stay better.

Zhennni(:
June 12th, 2012, 11:53 PM
It is probably a bit damaging but I think if you do it once in a while it is ok. And is ceramic so is a little better for your hair.

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Considering I am a guy with no experience with these sort of things I guess I not the best to anwser but.. they have a weird design.. and don't leave seem a little difficult to work with.. Hand curling each curl into those little clamps looks like a pain.. :confused:

I wouldn't assume they would be any less damaging than any thing else that would "heat" your hair though..

Those little shells only get warm enough to put your fingers on for a few seconds, not nearly as hot as most curling irons. I don't think occasional use of this set is damaging and I see it as better for the hair than curling irons.

akilina
June 12th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I really want to get ahold of an old salon dryer and paint it and make it all custom so I can roll my hair into pincurls, set em, then have curly hairs all day. It is just warm air.

TheMechaGinger
June 12th, 2012, 11:57 PM
It seems like mechanically they might be less damaging but heat is heat no matter how you package it, so they're still probably damaging just not as bad as other tools you could use

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I really want to get ahold of an old salon dryer and paint it and make it all custom so I can roll my hair into pincurls, set em, then have curly hairs all day. It is just warm air.

Maybe put the pincurls in at night so they set overnight?