PDA

View Full Version : Hair doesn't hold styles anymore?

Zhennni(:
June 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hello everybody! I used to flat iron my hair a lot; I usually set the heat pretty low, and I can straighten in one swipe. However, after one year of cutting out heat completely, I find that my hair no longer straigtens easily. Today I tried to flat iron my hair because I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures, but my hair just wouldnt straighten:/ I even went over the hairs twice with higher heat settings and hair sprayed it , but it still got slightly wavy during the day. Is healthy hair harder to manipulate? And also if anyone know a good heat-free way to straighten hair that would be great:) I've tried wrapping but I suck at doing it:(

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Wrapping is the only way I know of to straighten without heat. I know HintOfMint uses huge pincurls to straighten her hair, maybe see if that works? I would say yes that healthy hair is just harder to manipulate than heat styled hair. Also, maybe because it has been so long since you used heat, you overestamated how easy it is? Just a though, Good luck!

HintOfMint
June 12th, 2012, 10:51 PM
As Holly said, I do use large pin curls to knock out some stubborn wave, but that's only after I use a heavy-duty coney conditioner like Pantene Ice Shine to get rid of most of my waves. It's not flat iron straight, but it's close enough for government work.

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 11:13 PM
As Holly said, I do use large pin curls to knock out some stubborn wave, but that's only after I use a heavy-duty coney conditioner like Pantene Ice Shine to get rid of most of my waves. It's not flat iron straight, but it's close enough for government work.

Oh yeah, I forgot, cones are great for getting rid of waves, thanks HintOfMint! My straightening method= comb out waves and wurls with some leave in, smooth with hands, look in mirror and pretend its straight, i'm serious, that's what I do ever since I quite the flat iron...its sad but it works!:D

HintOfMint
June 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM
You're welcome Holly.

As for Zhennni's original question, yes, it is harder for healthy hair to take well to heat. My hair needed some serious help (and several pairs of hands) the last time I tried to straighten it with a flat iron at home. Also, I believe another member here who was growing out heat damaged hair noticed that her damaged ends turned perfect with a flat iron, but her virgin roots looked atrocious. Go figure.

akilina
June 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I know this sounds dumb but are you sectioning your hair out into small sections?
I find that if I just "swipe" my hair with a straightener in big sections it does nothing to the hair on the inside. making it wavy real quick.
It makes me cringe to watch people swipe one section of hair like 4 times! >.<