PDA

View Full Version : Escape-Artist Hair Support Group

Arya
June 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Does your hair laugh at hairsticks? Slip out of clips? Bypass bobby-pins? Circumvent buns and sneak out the bottom of gibson tucks? This is the place for you! I'm hoping we can share some tips with others with hair that does NOT want to stay put! I'd love to hear from people who share my frustration with standard tips that just don't work for my hair!

My hair hates updos. I can do them just fine while totally still, but the second I move my head, my rolls unroll, buns go kamikaze and fall of the back of my head, and pins work their way out and clatter to the floor. I put it up with a hairstick, and then find the hairstick sitting in my hood an hour later. This doesn't mean I want to use 300 clips and 6 spin pins, though!! There's just more pins to stick out of my buns that way XD.

I know for me, doing updos on very damp hair is the only way I've found to consistently keep them in. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems to work! But that leaves me with two or three days of crappy updos until I wash it again.

So, I was hoping that maybe together we can come up a bunch of workable solutions for each other, or share secrets or successes.

indiana
June 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I have the same issue. I've also found that wet hair stays up while dry hair does not. I actually wash mine each morning before work. It's the only way to get my hair up and insure that it STAYS up all day!

catamonica
June 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well, I use bobby pins, And my hair stays. There is also wide pins, like bobby pins that work. If you have a rite aid where you live, they sell these long black pins, that
hold the hair secure. I sleep with a bun, so sometimes I have to redo my bun to.
Hope this helps.

Tabihito
June 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I call my hair Houdini hair, because it can escape ANYTHING. I've done braids, then later found whole strands outside the braid that were definitely included before. I've mostly just resigned myself to having to redo my hair a few times per day, because otherwise it'll just escape.

Arya
June 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Well, I use bobby pins, And my hair stays. There is also wide pins, like bobby pins that work. If you have a rite aid where you live, they sell these long black pins, that
hold the hair secure. I sleep with a bun, so sometimes I have to redo my bun to.
Hope this helps.
Interesting. We don't have rite aids in australia, could you perhaps find a picture of the pin on the internets, and I can find similar ones here?

I call my hair Houdini hair, because it can escape ANYTHING. I've done braids, then later found whole strands outside the braid that were definitely included before. I've mostly just resigned myself to having to redo my hair a few times per day, because otherwise it'll just escape.

Hahaha, sounds familiar! Does wet styling work better for you?

kme81
June 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM
You made the thread!!! Yay! I will certainly be watching this for extra tips. :)

honeybunnie8
June 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I have the same issue. My hair is just so slick it slides out. I think I have done it all tight and secure and before I know it its slipping out.
I like headbands since they attach to my head and not my hair.

honeybunnie8
June 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Double post

juicy-glitter
June 12th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I love that! Well, my hair only stays up when its damaged (not cool) or I use super damaging hair tyes (also not cool) But other than that its down to wet setting :/ I also have very slippery hair.... so when dry maybe thats why. Should I try less conditioner or less oils etc? Get rid of some of the slip, maybe it would stay easier.........

battles
June 12th, 2012, 09:17 PM
My hair does this. I'm torn between using cones and having silky hair that falls out of everything and going cone free and having hair that has a slight chance of staying put. :p

islandboo
June 12th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Yep, Houdini hair here! It was worse before I joined up here - or more accurately, I have improved my technique and can go for hours now before my updos become too badly undone, provided I do the right updo! My French and Dutch braids start up on my head and slowly slump as the starnds work themselves free. I have to be careful in my chocie of hairtoys because it is not uncommon for the poor things to succumb to the pull of gravity and hurtle to the floor - no glass sticks for me!!

ladylowtide
June 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM
My hair is decently thick, slippery, layered, and not all that long. Yeah.

My twists unfurl
My buns leap from my head
Forks get ejected
Flexi-8s stay in for about 30 seconds
My braids EXPLODE
Ponytails slip down, slide out, chunks of hair seem to escape entirely...

And hairsticks?

Forget it.

PS: see my sigpic. That is my hair beginning to escape from the pinned up perimeter braid... 30 flippin seconds after I put it up. ><

MissManda
June 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have this problem, too.

Switching from CO to using shampoo bars makes my hair a wee bit grippier, but not that much, especially on day 3 or 4 after a wash when my hair starts to get very sleek. I have to use six spin pins to hold certain styles up, and even then it does not feel secure enough. Heck, my hair even spits out spin pins sometimes, which is something I didn't think could happen. :bigeyes:

Like many previous posters, my hair holds the best when it is up wet or damp. I've tried using AVG and/or oil to tame those annoying little endies/flyaways that pop out of buns or braids, but it doesn't work, but I'll keep experimenting.

I often have to make my updos very tight and compact in order to get them to stay properly, so no soft or loose styles for me unless I'm in the mood to pin the living daylights out of them.

I do love how soft, shiny, and silky my hair is, though, and I have never been very fond of products that make my hair look and feel like a plastic sculpture instead of hair. I'm sure there are ways to cope with it, and that's why I am looking forward to watching this thread grow. :)

ETA: My slippery hair is the reason why I have devised the Head Shake Test. :lol: When I finish putting my hair up in an updo, I will shake my head or headbang to see if it will actually stay put once I've left the house. If it budges even a little, that is a sure indicator that it will explode once I'm a block or two away from home.

luxepiggy
June 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I have recently discovered the magic of the extension clip! (^(oo)^)v

Tisiloves
June 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Yesterday my peacock twist, which was perfectly secure when I left the house, had to be redone within 200yards. :justy: Curse you freshly hennaed, and thus perfectly smooth hair, why won't you stay.

amantha
June 12th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I think it's interesting that, with the exception of a few people, everyone who has posted in this thread so far has F or F/M hair.

I always put my buns squarely in the middle of the back of my head. Within 20 minutes they're at the bottom of my hairline and look silly. :( My braids also slip down if I wear one all day. The only thing that has sort of helped me is putting my hair up when it's kind of dirty. But I'd rather wash my hair than wear it out in public when it's dirty. I haven't tried putting it up when it's damp. I'll have to give that a go sometime soon.

Does anyone else has a problem with their buns sliding down the back of their head? I don't mean coming undone, just sliding completely down one's head. Any tips on how to make hair sticks hold them securely enough so that they stop sliding?

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I think it's interesting that, with the exception of a few people, everyone who has posted in this thread so far has F or F/M hair.

I always put my buns squarely in the middle of the back of my head. Within 20 minutes they're at the bottom of my hairline and look silly. :( My braids also slip down if I wear one all day. The only thing that has sort of helped me is putting my hair up when it's kind of dirty. But I'd rather wash my hair than wear it out in public when it's dirty. I haven't tried putting it up when it's damp. I'll have to give that a go sometime soon.

Does anyone else has a problem with their buns sliding down the back of their head? I don't mean coming undone, just sliding completely down one's head. Any tips on how to make hair sticks hold them securely enough so that they stop sliding?

I think F and F/M hair is just slippery? I know my cousin, who has fine blonde hair but quite a bit (higher ii or ii/iii) of hair has a hard time doing styles where as my M or M/C hair that is thicker than hers will stay in most styles with little or no effort, its weird really.

Tisiloves
June 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM

It's because generally the finer and/or straighter someones hair is generally the harder it is to get it to stay put. Finer hair=less friction, straighter hair=less tendancy to clump/catch on itself ie type 4 hair will stick to itself like velco (which is a hair super power), but straight hair won't.

(I hope that makes sense, its very early over here :coffee:)

TheMechaGinger
June 12th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have the same problem, so I just wear my hair down the first day or two after washing and then when it's good and dirty I can usually pull off updoes and all that fancy junk

piffyanne
June 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I'm a hidden Curly (I brush. My hair hates combs, and when I wet-set it into curls they eat each other :(. I'm too scared of the resultant damage that would ensue if I let my swirls and wurls ride swift and free through the glen.) with medium hair with some grab to it. It usually stays up; it just doesn't like English Braids. I put it in a tight braid and by the end of a short while, I've already got significant amounts of wisp making a desperate bid for freedom. I have to tightly braid it (loose braids are not even an option if I don't want my hair to look like a 20's dress covered in swinging fringe, only clearly much less deliberate) and then QUICKLY throw it up into a bun (the Oval Bun works best) before the frizz-machine starts grinding away. Then it looks nice all day.

On the other hand, my hair sometimes decides halfway through the day that it doesn't like bobby pins. It usually takes violent exception to them without my noticing, and suddenly my (fuzzy, naturally) faux-crown braid is falling down.

A couple weeks ago, I got definitive proof. I was sitting quietly, watching a movie with DBF when I heard a soft "ping" maybe four feet away. We were alone in the house, so I looked around to see what had happened. There was a poor, surprised-looking bobby pin lying there, obviously wondering what hit it. My hair not only spits out bobby pins, they're apparently tiny projectiles. If I could catch it on film, I'd be rich. :cheese:

Alvrodul
June 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I'm a hidden Curly (I brush. My hair hates combs, and when I wet-set it into curls they eat each other :(. I'm too scared of the resultant damage that would ensue if I let my swirls and wurls ride swift and free through the glen.) with medium hair with some grab to it. It usually stays up; it just doesn't like English Braids. I put it in a tight braid and by the end of a short while, I've already got significant amounts of wisp making a desperate bid for freedom. I have to tightly braid it (loose braids are not even an option if I don't want my hair to look like a 20's dress covered in swinging fringe, only clearly much less deliberate) and then QUICKLY throw it up into a bun (the Oval Bun works best) before the frizz-machine starts grinding away. Then it looks nice all day.

On the other hand, my hair sometimes decides halfway through the day that it doesn't like bobby pins. It usually takes violent exception to them without my noticing, and suddenly my (fuzzy, naturally) faux-crown braid is falling down.

A couple weeks ago, I got definitive proof. I was sitting quietly, watching a movie with DBF when I heard a soft "ping" maybe four feet away. We were alone in the house, so I looked around to see what had happened. There was a poor, surprised-looking bobby pin lying there, obviously wondering what hit it. My hair not only spits out bobby pins, they're apparently tiny projectiles. If I could catch it on film, I'd be rich. :cheese:
:rollin:

Wonderfully told, piffyanne!

Now, my hair doesn't seem to be as badly behaved as some here. Unless, of course, it is freshly washed.:p
Then again, I have learned a few things about my hair, so that I'll be able to deal with it when it decides to get difficult. :whip:
Braided buns work best for me when I want to be guaranteed that it will stay up. And when I want to get experimental, it is not going to be with day 1 hair!

Zesty
June 13th, 2012, 03:43 AM
My hair is this. I have a few no-fail styles (a cinnamon bun with a hair stick or two prong fork or a braided nautilus with a stick; sometimes a lazy wrap bun, though wispy hairs tend to escape from those) but experimenting is sort of difficult because my hair laughs at pins and I find myself fiddling with my hair all day long, which is not fun. Also, I think because my hair is thick but the strands are mostly fine, my braids get fuzzy in no time flat and look awful, and I also suspect it's damaging. LE SIGH. I'm glad this thread was started, sometimes it's frustrating to feel so limited in terms of styles. :(

pandora114
June 13th, 2012, 04:43 AM
My hair is slipperier than WD40 on a doorknob. Braids? I have to braid my hair or do anything with it when it's wet...I can't style it at all when dry, it refuses to do anything. I have a hard time using a curling wand on it at times as well. Oy...(not like I use it alot.) So slippery...it's almost like an eel. only thing I can do is style it when wet.. *sigh* or pay someone.

newbeginning
June 13th, 2012, 06:18 AM
My hair is somewhat slippery but I have to use cones. I tried not using cones and my hair was so dry and crunchy (I think because it's coarse). Even though it's coarse and thicker I still have a hard time with hair sticks/hair toys staying in my hair and braids coming undone. While my problems aren't as bad as some others have described in this thread I just wanted to pipe up because I don't have fine/straight hair but I still have the slippery hair problem.

wandlimb
June 13th, 2012, 06:48 AM
This is me! Hairslides take on a whole new meaning and braids never stay in. I'm always redoing my hair and need a phenomenal amount of hair pins to make anything stay put. My layers don't help, but my hair has always been like this anyway. And as for wet braiding... I get some nice curls, but loads of bits come out, even when it's still wet!

Jing
June 13th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Here's another one. I've found one style that actually stays up so far, and it's a tight sort of French twist/bun hybrid held in place with a spin pin. But even that one is rather hit and miss, and my front layers always slip out after a while. My only hope is that it'll get better when my hair grows longer. Protein overload made my hair coarser, and thus less prone to slip out of updos, but I'm too fond of my shine and softness to repeat the experience intentionally.

torrilin
June 13th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Interesting. We don't have rite aids in australia, could you perhaps find a picture of the pin on the internets, and I can find similar ones here?

In the US, the pins she's talking about are sold as "roller pins". They're about 3"/7.5cm long, so they're huge and they were the first thing I learned to put my hair up with as a teen so it'd stay.

These days I prefer spin pins or U shaped pins or tiny claw clips, because they tend to be a bit more comfortable and my hair is less inclined to spit them out.

As a teen, most of the advice I'd get on putting hair up was to use small hair toys on fine hair. This is um... wrong. Roller pins are giant. Spin pins work better for me in the regular size than the mini size. For U shaped pins, bigger and heavier tends to be better. I like the big thick plastic ones or 3.5"/8cm metal ones. A lot of my slithering problem has been because my hair needs to be almost sewn onto my head with the hair toy. The only thing where small is good for me is claw clips, and to a lesser extent sticks and forks.

My hair does tend to behave somewhat better in smaller sections, but that doesn't really make smaller hair toys work better. It just means it's easier to trap more hairs!

lapushka
June 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Oh boy, yes. My hair does that. I, unfortunately, don't know how to stop it from doing that. :o

Many thanks to the OP for starting this thread, BTW!

I just stick to a folded peacock twist (my hair's hip length) with a claw clip most days, because that -out of all of the styles- holds best. A lazy wrap bun isn't too bad either, but either the styles and buns are loose and come out, slip a bit, or my hair needs to be pulled so tight I feel like I'm having a face lift. It's as if there's no inbetween.

islandboo
June 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Oh my gosh, yes! you can see from my album that almost all my updos are at my nape. There is just no point in trying to make them higher because they will end at the nape anyway and then I will have a pouf of hair bunched up from where it slipped down. I have just given up and accepted that I need to set them low and that's just how it is.

BlazingHeart
June 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Em, wow, I guess I'm the first person on the coarse end of things to join the party.

If I don't use product, my hair is very, very slippy, and heavy besides. Even with just-past-shoulder hair, I could never get a high pony to stay; it didn't matter how tightly I did it, I'd have a nape-pony and a big ol' pouch of hair under it in less than half an hour.

My hair isn't fond of pins. Snap-clips aren't bad, but can't hold much hair. I have to re-do styles every hour or so. And I can't tell you how often I'll startle my fiance because I'll make some small motion and a then a loud noise as my hair falls down...again! It's very good at poking out of braids, too.

I can't put it up wet - it never gets dry. If I bun slightly damp hair, about 2/3 of it will still be damp when I let it down (actually, that was when I was living in dry so cal. Now that I'm in PA....well, it's hopeless). *sigh* I just kind of accept that my hair is mostly impossible to put up. The best luck I've had is with a plain copper fork from Mairzydozy - something about the shape, size, and texture keeps it in my hair better than most.

~Blaze

oktobergoud
June 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM
LOL when I read the title I thought this was about escape artists and I wondered what that meant. I was thinking about a magician's assistant, that, you know, 'escape/disappear' in boxes and stuff LOL.

(I'm reading a book about a circus so I'm possibly too focused on circuses right now ;))

/random

torrilin
June 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Em, wow, I guess I'm the first person on the coarse end of things to join the party.

If I don't use product, my hair is very, very slippy, and heavy besides. Even with just-past-shoulder hair, I could never get a high pony to stay; it didn't matter how tightly I did it, I'd have a nape-pony and a big ol' pouch of hair under it in less than half an hour.

My hair isn't fond of pins. Snap-clips aren't bad, but can't hold much hair. I have to re-do styles every hour or so. And I can't tell you how often I'll startle my fiance because I'll make some small motion and a then a loud noise as my hair falls down...again! It's very good at poking out of braids, too.

I can't put it up wet - it never gets dry. If I bun slightly damp hair, about 2/3 of it will still be damp when I let it down (actually, that was when I was living in dry so cal. Now that I'm in PA....well, it's hopeless). *sigh* I just kind of accept that my hair is mostly impossible to put up. The best luck I've had is with a plain copper fork from Mairzydozy - something about the shape, size, and texture keeps it in my hair better than most.

~Blaze

You *might* find that Quattro's (http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=quattro%20hair&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ&min=0&max=0&ref=auto3) stuff works too. He often sells sets of 2-4 large U shaped pins and while I don't have any of his (yet!) I've made ones like them out of knitting needles and found them to be pretty handy. A lot of his stuff (like Mairzy Dozy's) straddles that line of is it a u pin or a 2 prong fork and how do I tell whether it's one or the other?

I can get away with 1 hair stick or hairpin on very rare occasions. Most of the time tho, an extra is better. What I've seen from other slippery haired folks is that you spend a lot of time learning what the balance is between enough hair toys and too many... coz as I'm sure you've found, sticking 16 things in your hair can make it fall down faster :).

While I think wooden toys are pretty, I won't bother to spring for them unless they're super cheap. I don't find that they hold as well as metal stuff does.

islandboo
June 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
While I think wooden toys are pretty, I won't bother to spring for them unless they're super cheap. I don't find that they hold as well as metal stuff does.

I find the opposite to be true for my hair: metal is slippery but wood often has a slight grippiness to it that helps it hold, especially if it has a natural finish. I will admit that Quattro's metal toys hold better then most metals because of the microgrooving.

Arya
June 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM
What's the best non-cinna updo, slippy ladies?

Hollyfire3
June 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM

Not a slippery haired person (some days i am, but most days, not) but, I must be reaading WAY too much Hunger Games because non-cinna looked like it was about Cinna, the stylist in the games....lol

LaFlor
June 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM
This describes my hair so well. I found a very strong claw clip that keeps my hair in the same place. It is the only thing that can maintain my hair in a bun or twist. I don't know what I would do without it! My hair stick and fork won't stay and my hair slide only stays when I put it in a LOW pony with a grippy tie first and put the slide over the tie.

Vanilla
June 18th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I almost always have to redo my updo at least 2-3 times a day, as the weight and slipperiness of my hair starts pulling it down, down, down!

Today's Chinese braided bun needed to be rebraided once and re secured 4-5 times.

I find that my curved tine fork seems to hold my hair much better than the straight tine ones, in general. Hair sticks I haven't been able to get to stay in my hair longer than it takes for me to take a bath.

I have stopped using mineral oil in favor of my variation of the pre conditioning treatment that gives me way more grippiness in my hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=95523

English braids are the worst for my hair. They just slide down in like an hour and tangle horribly at the nape. Even to use them as a base for an updo is a fail for my hair.

Five of Five
June 18th, 2012, 08:24 PM

The only bun that holds reliably for me is a four-strand box braid bun, anchored with a hair tie, and held with spin pins or an extra-large flexi.

There is something about the symmetry and compactness of that braid that helps it hold nicely in shorter/slippery hair.

Other than that, I like damp or oiled French braids. The more sections I do, the better it holds.

Vanilla
June 18th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Gibraltar or nautilus bun I really like. The flipping of the coils in the nautilus makes it hold really well for me.

Elithia
June 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM
My hair is quite curly, so you'd think it would stay up pretty well. But it's also fine and thick, so that at nearly hip-length (with shrinkage to mid-back, sadly) any updo that involves twisting or braiding involves 500 bobby pins and falls down in an hour. I don't tend to shed bobby pins ... they just come unstuck and get lost in the depths of my hair, to be discovered in the shower hours later (I also occasionally lose earrings this way). Scrunchies slide, braids fall apart, and twists untwist. I think this is actually partly because of the curl, because while it gives it some "grab", it also wants desperately to resume its natural shape.

Pretty much the only updo that works for me right now is a twist looped under itself with a hairstick woven through. It comes out just like anything else, in about an hour, but I have so much practice that I can redo it in under 10 seconds without a mirror.

Slug Yoga
June 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM
For those of you who seem to have more luck with wet/damp hair, I was wondering if you ever tried getting a little spray-bottle and misting your hair to make it a little damp before putting it up, on days you haven't washed it? Maybe that would be helpful?

MissManda
June 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM

I don't have any super-quick updos that are also very stable at this point. I seem to get the best hold with various braided styles/buns in damp hair. Dutch braids hold more effectively, especially when doing crown braids, but I get more flyaways than if I do a French braid.

The only bun that I've gotten to hold like a rock is the 2-in-1 Lazy Wrap Bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82685). All of the other buns I can do have to be re done over the course of the day, this one is the exception. :lol:

ETA: Yes, I keep a mister bottle in my bathroom for when I put my hair up. I mix in a little oil, Panacea, and whatever conditioners I have on hand to keep my hair from drying out. How could I have forgotten to mention it?

catamonica
June 18th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Arya, I did not realize you were in the UK. But if you type in Rite Aid on the internet, you can see
the stuff they sell online.

Jing
June 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Things have gone from bad to worse. I thought my hair was slippery before, but I had no idea. Slippery is the only word that encompasses just how sleek my hair is right now. If my hair was a different material, it would be glass covered in soapy water. My hand literally slips on my hair when I stroke it. If I was a 1a, I could be in one of those shampoo commercials where the model's hair moves like liquid.

Can you tell my mind is blown by just how slippery my hair has become? I feel the urge to use caps lock. Not even spin pins can hold this stuff in place for more than five minutes, not even when it's Dutch braided. I said before that I wouldn't go for a voluntary protein overload, but I've reached the end of my rope. Tomorrow it's eggs and protein conditioner for as many hours as I can stand. Hopefully I'll get some texture back in my strands without having to repeat the process too many times.

I'm not sure if it's that I started using a sulphate-free shampoo or that I started adding a drop of rosemary oil when I wash my hair. It can't be anything to do with conditioners or DTs, because I haven't switched and I use neither above my ears, while the slip starts right at my scalp.

Arya
June 27th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Things have gone from bad to worse. I thought my hair was slippery before, but I had no idea. Slippery is the only word that encompasses just how sleek my hair is right now. If my hair was a different material, it would be glass covered in soapy water. My hand literally slips on my hair when I stroke it. If I was a 1a, I could be in one of those shampoo commercials where the model's hair moves like liquid.

Can you tell my mind is blown by just how slippery my hair has become? I feel the urge to use caps lock. Not even spin pins can hold this stuff in place for more than five minutes, not even when it's Dutch braided. I said before that I wouldn't go for a voluntary protein overload, but I've reached the end of my rope. Tomorrow it's eggs and protein conditioner for as many hours as I can stand. Hopefully I'll get some texture back in my strands without having to repeat the process too many times.

I'm not sure if it's that I started using a sulphate-free shampoo or that I started adding a drop of rosemary oil when I wash my hair. It can't be anything to do with conditioners or DTs, because I haven't switched and I use neither above my ears, while the slip starts right at my scalp.

Oh my, that sounds difficult! I'm feeling kinda ungrateful right now. Couldn't you just add a bit of product to texture your hair a bit instead of intentionally roughing up the cuticle?

I guess I could do that too...
>_>

Tisiloves
June 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Have you tried the dry shampoo trick?

Jing
June 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Oh my, that sounds difficult! I'm feeling kinda ungrateful right now. Couldn't you just add a bit of product to texture your hair a bit instead of intentionally roughing up the cuticle?

I guess I could do that too...
>_>

I've tried AVG and hair spray, neither did much. Plus product (apart from AVG) always makes my hair look terrible the day after, and I would have to coat pretty much every single strand in it. At least when I had more protein in it, my hair felt stronger as well as less soft.

Have you tried the dry shampoo trick?

I tried dry shampoo once upon a time and could not brush it out of my hair for the life of me. Maybe with this super-slip it'll be easier, though. Is there anything more to the trick than simply using dry shampoo?

rags
June 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I too have Houdini hair (I used to have that in my siggy a couple of years ago). I do the misting thing, as I wash at night. I also, if I absolutely HAVE to have my hair stay up, will wet it the night before, put mousse in it (the only time i ever use product) and sleep on rag rollers. The curl and the mousse together will give it enough texture to hold usually.

What bothers me the most is elastics coming out (ponytails). I mean come on! I can't even keep a ponytail in?? I actually have better luck with hairsticks/forks than with elastics!

Oh, and I usually use a multi-pronged fork to put my hair up. A stick or two pronged fork won't do the best until it gets at least BSL (I'm inbetween APL and BSL now). The more prongs, the better!

elfgirl
June 27th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I stopped using hair sticks because of this issue! My hair has only had luck with a few forks...I'll be watching the thread for tips and ideas :D

Jessibear2854
June 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM
My hair is decently thick, slippery, layered, and not all that long. Yeah.

My twists unfurl
My buns leap from my head
Forks get ejected
Flexi-8s stay in for about 30 seconds
My braids EXPLODE
Ponytails slip down, slide out, chunks of hair seem to escape entirely...

And hairsticks?

Forget it.

(snip) ><

This is my hair, exactly! It's so frustrating to see all these elaborate updos on here that I will probably never be able to do. My hair does ok in a damp lazy wrap bun or figure -8 bun held with claw clips (several), but everything else just ends up looking bedraggled in a few minutes.

Tisiloves
June 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I've tried AVG and hair spray, neither did much. Plus product (apart from AVG) always makes my hair look terrible the day after, and I would have to coat pretty much every single strand in it. At least when I had more protein in it, my hair felt stronger as well as less soft.

I tried dry shampoo once upon a time and could not brush it out of my hair for the life of me. Maybe with this super-slip it'll be easier, though. Is there anything more to the trick than simply using dry shampoo?

I find a tiny bit of coconut oil and then dry shampoo works better, but I guess you wouldn't want to do that on your scalp.

amantha
June 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
My hair ejected itself from my cinnabun no less than 4 times yesterday. :(

Kaelee
June 27th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I have very fine, stick straight (you mean you don't flat iron? straight), very thick layered APL hair with the personality of spring steel. And yea. About the only thing I can successfully do is a ponytail. Forget braiding it (I wish!). I can do half ups with the right clip. I can't wait till it gets long enough for me to do something else with! (I got probly another 4 inches to go before that happens.)

Jing
June 28th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I find a tiny bit of coconut oil and then dry shampoo works better, but I guess you wouldn't want to do that on your scalp.

I might be able to get away with a tiny amount. But I tend to be way too optimistic about what will and won't provoke a major shed.

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I might be able to get away with a tiny amount. But I tend to be way too optimistic about what will and won't provoke a major shed.

Maybe if you only applied it to your ends then the only oil on your scalp would be transfer and hopefully too little to provoke a shed. (Sorry, I would be more helpful, but my scalp appears to be completely unreactive.)

Jing
June 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe if you only applied it to your ends then the only oil on your scalp would be transfer and hopefully too little to provoke a shed. (Sorry, I would be more helpful, but my scalp appears to be completely unreactive.)

Lucky you! I'll give it a try.

My hair is still drying, but the protein treatment doesn't seem to have helped any. It might just be the specific sulphate-free shampoo I'm using; I'll try a different one when I can actually find one. A friend of mine is making me birch leaf shampoo, though, so I might wait for that and see if it makes any difference.

truepeacenik
June 28th, 2012, 09:24 PM
My hair escaped a bun during a Watsu demo (in water), wrapped around the instructors arm and tangled up in his curly shoulder length hair.
And both of our glasses. At once.

He made some joke about the Day of the Triffids.

Tisiloves
July 29th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have found an upside to escape artist hair, I can take down plaits by removing the fastenings and shaking my head a bit. :D

yogagirl
February 5th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Bumping this thread, because of the awesome title :)

And because, HELP please! My slippery hair is driving me nuts! I want to make hair forks and ideally also sticks work, but I don't think my hair will cooperate. I'm hoping against hope that it will get better when my hair is longer and or/less layered. (Longest layer is half and inch from BSL right now.)

As it is, my hair will unwrap itself out of a LWB and disc bun within seconds of putting it up. A little claw lip strategically placed will sometimes, but very rarely help. Freshly washed, not a chance. Dirty hair, same. Sometimes there is a day betwee those two states where I stand a chance. Sometimes it just goes from super slippery because clean, to super slippery because dirty. Sigh.

Somebody please tell me that it will get better with longer hair before I start dousing my hair in salt water!

gwenalyn
February 5th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I have the same problem, so I just wear my hair down the first day or two after washing and then when it's good and dirty I can usually pull off updoes and all that fancy junk

This, I just wear my hair down when it's clean. I figure if it's slippery enough to slither out of updos, it's slippery enough to avoid damage on its own. Once it gets greasy, I have to wear it up in order to look presentable though, so here are the things I've found that help:

a) dry shampoo. I feel like I mention dry shampoo every time I post ... can you tell I love it?
b) coconut oil on the ends. If dirty hair stays better, make it dirtier!
c) *interlocking* spin pins. The instructions say not to interlock, and I'm not sure why, because if they don't interlock, they don't work (for me). Also, stab it with bobby pins.
d) I do something super-damaging to my hair once a year. Bleach or perm. (I know, I know, I can hear y'all going "Nooooooooo!") I'm sure this will be less sustainable at longer lengths, but right now my ends have been permed and bleached three times over and they still slip out of updos, so I'm sticking with what works :shrug:

Five of Five
February 5th, 2015, 03:06 PM
At least your hair is really pretty, despite its lack of cooperation :D

I have to admit that I gave up and wore ponytails for a lot of my time growing out, because they were far less frustrating to redo. However, in my experience, updos become progressively sturdier from APL onwards. Once I got to about hip length, the hair falling out problem started to become a pretty rare occurrence during day-to-day activities. At BCL, buns are now very reliable and for the first time in my life I can pretty much forget about my hair once I've put it up. However, I still have to coil my buns a lot more tightly than most people seem to, and it can unravel if I do heavy exercise.

Where possible, spin pins anchored with a ponytail have worked the best for me throughout every stage. Also, I never get my hair 'done' by a salon or friend for special occasions. It just unravels right in front of them if they try to do anything to it :p

Bumping this thread, because of the awesome title :)

And because, HELP please! My slippery hair is driving me nuts! I want to make hair forks and ideally also sticks work, but I don't think my hair will cooperate. I'm hoping against hope that it will get better when my hair is longer and or/less layered. (Longest layer is half and inch from BSL right now.)

As it is, my hair will unwrap itself out of a LWB and disc bun within seconds of putting it up. A little claw lip strategically placed will sometimes, but very rarely help. Freshly washed, not a chance. Dirty hair, same. Sometimes there is a day betwee those two states where I stand a chance. Sometimes it just goes from super slippery because clean, to super slippery because dirty. Sigh.

Somebody please tell me that it will get better with longer hair before I start dousing my hair in salt water!

yogagirl
February 5th, 2015, 04:08 PM
gwenalyn, so you apply dry shampoo throughout the length...? I have one lying around. I need to remember to try it.
I also wear my hair down a lot though. I like it and at this length it doesn't really get in the way too much. I always have a claw clip (no slip grip) on me for eating and such. More resistance to damage really is a major benefit of having slippery hair.

Five of Five, thank you! :o
And I'm so glad updos are holding better for you now! That gives me hope too. Although I might have to increase my goal length beyond WL it sounds like!

tokugawa.miyako
February 5th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Another escape-artist hair possessor here... I've been having the worst hair week too. My bun came down about four times yesterday. I have figured out a few good hairstick buns that work for me if I secure them with a couple bobby pins, but my hair just hasn't been wanting to stay in place at all lately. It's frustrating because I work daily with a lot of equipment that I do not want to risk getting my hair caught in; buns are the most practical style for me. :justy:

Sorry, just needed to complain for a minute. :)

Seeshami
February 5th, 2015, 08:37 PM
The Naughty Mess says, "Just give up hair monsters are not meant to be updone"

Mess just because I tolerate your self aware nonsense doesn't mean there are any other hair monsters out in the world trying to plot domination.
His highness has trouble slipping sticks that have a half inch to inch extra on each side of the bun. If the normal amount of spin/bobby/Amish/any other pin is 2 make it 4.

The Naughty Mess says, "The unwarranted abuse by your 7 inch sticks and over excessive use of spin pins is cruel and unusual punishment! It's against my constitutional rights!!"

You're a hair monster not a person you don't get to have rights. I don't even know why I let you have opinions!!!

gwenalyn
February 6th, 2015, 01:52 AM
gwenalyn, so you apply dry shampoo throughout the length...? I have one lying around. I need to remember to try it.
I also wear my hair down a lot though. I like it and at this length it doesn't really get in the way too much. I always have a claw clip (no slip grip) on me for eating and such. More resistance to damage really is a major benefit of having slippery hair.

Hm, no, I don't think so. Your question made me think for a moment, haha. I just apply it to the scalp, but then when I massage/rub it, then fingercomb, I think enough of it gets through the length to help it out. Or ... maybe not. Maybe it doesn't help buns hold at all. I might have to take that back. :)

yogagirl
February 6th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Another escape-artist hair possessor here... I've been having the worst hair week too. My bun came down about four times yesterday. I have figured out a few good hairstick buns that work for me if I secure them with a couple bobby pins, but my hair just hasn't been wanting to stay in place at all lately. It's frustrating because I work daily with a lot of equipment that I do not want to risk getting my hair caught in; buns are the most practical style for me. :justy:

Sorry, just needed to complain for a minute. :)
Complain all you want, that's what this thread is here for :)
I also redid my hair a hundred times yesterday and finally just gave up on the fork and put a jaw clip in, siiiigh. Nothing wrong with jaw clips, but I've been using them exclusively for years and I'm getting a bit tired of them!
Do tell which buns work for you with hair sticks please! Do you use two sticks?

The Naughty Mess says, "Just give up hair monsters are not meant to be updone"

Mess just because I tolerate your self aware nonsense doesn't mean there are any other hair monsters out in the world trying to plot domination.
His highness has trouble slipping sticks that have a half inch to inch extra on each side of the bun. If the normal amount of spin/bobby/Amish/any other pin is 2 make it 4.

The Naughty Mess says, "The unwarranted abuse by your 7 inch sticks and over excessive use of spin pins is cruel and unusual punishment! It's against my constitutional rights!!"

You're a hair monster not a person you don't get to have rights. I don't even know why I let you have opinions!!!
I don't think my hair is quite as strong-minded as yours, but I am not afraid to pull out the oversized sticks on it!! Or rather buy some as I don't currently own any. Hmmmm I wonder if I have a better chance with ketylo, ketylo acrylics, or eads...?

Hm, no, I don't think so. Your question made me think for a moment, haha. I just apply it to the scalp, but then when I massage/rub it, then fingercomb, I think enough of it gets through the length to help it out. Or ... maybe not. Maybe it doesn't help buns hold at all. I might have to take that back. :)
I shall try it anyway! I'm desperate! I also considered using a salt water spray like those "beach hair" ones. They're supposed to be damaging though what with all the salt crystals forming on your hair...

Gertrude
February 6th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I have many days where I just re-do the updo and consider 4 hours very, very good. That's with braided bun, end secured, Amish pins. I don't use claw clips as the hair still sags and slides and the clip winds up painfully hanging off the back of my head. Terrible description, terrible feeling. I repeat the mantra of " it is silky and soft" to myself, as that is what my hair is naturally. I have tossed the volumisers etc etc.

Gertrude
February 6th, 2015, 08:15 AM
I have many days where I just re-do the updo and consider 4 hours very, very good. That's with braided bun, end secured, Amish pins. I don't use claw clips as the hair still sags and slides and the clip winds up painfully hanging off the back of my head. Terrible description, terrible feeling. I repeat the mantra of " it is silky and soft" to myself, as that is what my hair does naturally.

browneyedsusan
February 6th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Fantastic thread bump, yogagirl.

My hair is super-slippy, too! (I have troubles with buns staying: either they're too tight and hurt me/give me a headache, or they fall out!)

I wore a couple of English braids for a Super-bowl party, and lost the tie from one sometime during the evening! :justy: It's not like I was even moving around that much! --Up to the chip bowl, and grab a beverage; back to the TV....

Nevb1973
February 6th, 2015, 11:14 AM
My hair does not cooperate with me either. It likes to slide out of everything but a hair elastic. Claw clips too loose, bobby pins slide out. I have no patience for messing with my hairand get mad and give up on it quick. I need more patience to mess with my hair. I hope as my hair gets a little longer, I'm at waist now, and thickens up it will stay better. But my hair is straight and fairly slippery.

Seeshami
February 6th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I don't think my hair is quite as strong-minded as yours, but I am not afraid to pull out the oversized sticks on it!! Or rather buy some as I don't currently own any. Hmmmm I wonder if I have a better chance with ketylo, ketylo acrylics, or eads...?

Ketylo. Acrylics are being discontinued I think or something is so I would go shopping now. The shwoopdy screws in and gets stuck. Mess hates it. I need to get some......

The Naughty Mess says, "To bad you bought all those ficcares to fix. Bet you feel stupid now."

Shut IT MESS. I am going to use all 6 of them in you at once you'll never budge again.

rags
February 6th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Well, my hair isn't quite as slippery as it used to be - but since ya'll can't automatically go silver and get way wavier all of a sudden, that's not a lot of help! LOL. My medication changes which have made it drier have really made a difference too.

I second Seeshami's recommendation of Ketylos. Natural wood ones hold way better for me than dymondwood.

BUT the number one thing that has worked for me, even before the "all my hair is turning silver and wavy!) is -Ficcares. They do not budge. At all.

velorutionista
February 6th, 2015, 03:55 PM
yogagirl, I had similar issues when my hair was around BSL--getting more length (now WL+) and getting rid of a few layers has helped tons! I also have to ask how you're making LWBs--do you wrap around the whole hand, or just a couple fingers? It made a world of difference when I started wrapping my LWBs (and disc buns and similar) around just 2-3 fingers instead of my whole hand--even now, if my hair is having a super slippery day, I'll go back to just two fingers on the LWB loop, and do an extra loop around those same two fingers to eat length. Makes for slightly smaller buns, but they stay put! Also braided LWB holds like a rock for me, especially with a 3-prong fork, no matter how slippery my hair is being.

meteor
February 6th, 2015, 04:18 PM
My hair is not even slippery (unless it's high humidity), but I usually have to redo buns multiple times a day anyway.
Especially anything like cinnabun/bee-butt bun just falls apart quickly.

However, what holds the best for me are:
This modification of the nautilus bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) (I do it braided!)
Braided LWB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXlDzbKQ-uI)
Ellingwoman braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYNoF2H4kw)
Amish braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g)
Woven braided crown (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/)

tokugawa.miyako
February 6th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I've found that a tightly wrapped disk bun holds best for me (if I really want to use a hair stick). Braided versions of other buns (cinnabun, etc.) will also stay up for a bit, but need to be redone ever once in a while. For some reason, I've never been able to get a nautilus to stay in my hair. Even with sticks and clips, it falls right out. My ficcare is a lifesaver though. It almost never fails to keep my buns up as long as a secure the ends with a bobby pin as well. I usually wear a braided cinnabun or a LWB with the ficcare.

EdG
February 6th, 2015, 09:04 PM
My hair isn't an escape artist. I think that the natural taper helps. I tuck my wispy ends under the bun, and they stay put.
Ed

yogagirl
February 7th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I have many days where I just re-do the updo and consider 4 hours very, very good. That's with braided bun, end secured, Amish pins. I don't use claw clips as the hair still sags and slides and the clip winds up painfully hanging off the back of my head. Terrible description, terrible feeling. I repeat the mantra of " it is silky and soft" to myself, as that is what my hair is naturally. I have tossed the volumisers etc etc.
It is silky and soft. It is silky and soft. It is silky and soft. -- I will start using that. And I agree, 4 hours is a pretty good run!

Fantastic thread bump, yogagirl.

My hair is super-slippy, too! (I have troubles with buns staying: either they're too tight and hurt me/give me a headache, or they fall out!)

I wore a couple of English braids for a Super-bowl party, and lost the tie from one sometime during the evening! :justy: It's not like I was even moving around that much! --Up to the chip bowl, and grab a beverage; back to the TV....
Oh wow, losing an elastic out of your hair is slippery hair at a whole 'nother level! :eek: That hasn't happened to me yet. You made me laugh with your activity description though :D That's about how our super bowl went too, esp with all the snow we got that day!

My hair does not cooperate with me either. It likes to slide out of everything but a hair elastic. Claw clips too loose, bobby pins slide out. I have no patience for messing with my hairand get mad and give up on it quick. I need more patience to mess with my hair. I hope as my hair gets a little longer, I'm at waist now, and thickens up it will stay better. But my hair is straight and fairly slippery.
Oh no, you're already at waist and it's still a problem? :( As for the claw clips, have you tried Scunci "no-slip grip"? Those work like a charm for me.

Ketylo. Acrylics are being discontinued I think or something is so I would go shopping now. The shwoopdy screws in and gets stuck. Mess hates it. I need to get some......

The Naughty Mess says, "To bad you bought all those ficcares to fix. Bet you feel stupid now."

Shut IT MESS. I am going to use all 6 of them in you at once you'll never budge again.
Hahaha, take THAT naughty mess!! Thank you for the Ketylo recommendation. I will buy a few sticks once the website loads again.

Well, my hair isn't quite as slippery as it used to be - but since ya'll can't automatically go silver and get way wavier all of a sudden, that's not a lot of help! LOL. My medication changes which have made it drier have really made a difference too.

I second Seeshami's recommendation of Ketylos. Natural wood ones hold way better for me than dymondwood.

BUT the number one thing that has worked for me, even before the "all my hair is turning silver and wavy!) is -Ficcares. They do not budge. At all.
OK, so I think I will buy all Ketylo variants to try then, natural wood, dymondwood, and acrylics. I have a "fakkare", but no Ficcare yet. I'll have to play with it a little more. It does hold well, but I haven't quite figured out styles I love with it.

yogagirl, I had similar issues when my hair was around BSL--getting more length (now WL+) and getting rid of a few layers has helped tons! I also have to ask how you're making LWBs--do you wrap around the whole hand, or just a couple fingers? It made a world of difference when I started wrapping my LWBs (and disc buns and similar) around just 2-3 fingers instead of my whole hand--even now, if my hair is having a super slippery day, I'll go back to just two fingers on the LWB loop, and do an extra loop around those same two fingers to eat length. Makes for slightly smaller buns, but they stay put! Also braided LWB holds like a rock for me, especially with a 3-prong fork, no matter how slippery my hair is being.
How exciting that more length and less layers worked well for you! Do you have a specific 3-prong fork that works on extra slippery days? I'm thinking about buying a Jeterfork. The wide prongs look kind of scary, but I'm thinking maybe that's what makes them work so well...?
And yes, I have to make my LWB by wrapping around just one finger. I wouldn't stand a change trying to wrap around my hand. I run out of length way too quickly... I am SO looking forward to being able to wrap a second time and I have big hopes it will help with the hold. I think for now I will have to practice some braided buns.

My hair is not even slippery (unless it's high humidity), but I usually have to redo buns multiple times a day anyway.
Especially anything like cinnabun/bee-butt bun just falls apart quickly.

However, what holds the best for me are:
This modification of the nautilus bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) (I do it braided!)
Braided LWB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXlDzbKQ-uI)
Ellingwoman braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kYNoF2H4kw)
Amish braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g)
Woven braided crown (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/)
Thank you so much for all those links! I will work my way through them and try them all.

My hair isn't an escape artist. I think that the natural taper helps. I tuck my wispy ends under the bun, and they stay put.
Ed
Lucky ducky! When the instructions go "tuck your ends under", my hair just laughs at the notion! Besides your taper, your length probably helps a lot too.

---

Oh and yesterday I actually got a cinnabun to work for a few hours, craziness! It looked like a family of raccoons played in it with layers sticking out everywhere, but it held even through some walking and moving around. It was secured with a wooden 2-prong Ketylo fork and 2 spin pins. It really did look like hell though. Luckily my work environment is pretty lax in terms of dress code.

erizabesu
February 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM
My hair seems to be escaping from its bun much more often lately; I've almost lost my flexi a couple times, and I have lost a couple hair ties off the end of my sleep braid. I don't typically mind much because it only takes a few seconds to redo a nautilus, but it can get frustrating on especially slippery hair days.

I've actually had a lot of trouble getting a Ketylo to stay in my hair; I've gotten it to stay in a cinnabun for a few hours but only once. Most the time it falls out within an hour or so, which makes me sad because my Ketylo was a gift from my brother.

I really love this pair (https://www.etsy.com/listing/185686322/bella-rosa-ivory-pearl-rose-hairsticks?ref=shop_home_active_18) of hairsticks for keeping my hair up. The spiral shape works really well for me.

sophiamermaid
February 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM
The ONLY things that will keep my dry hair in place are hair sticks, and then only if my hair's bra strap length (took a couple years to master). Wet I can get away with more.

BlazingHeart
February 7th, 2015, 03:34 PM
My hair laughs at ketylos. They're one of the fastest things to fall out. I don't do well with sticks generally, though.

If my hair needs to stay up and tidy (for court or whatever), I need a 3-4 prong wood fork and I need to apply a soft waxy pomade to it before it goes up. Part of my problem is sheer thickness - I'm now down to 4" circumference...after losing literally half my hair. I started at about 6.2". Also, a better length to thickness ratio and getting rid of the effectively layered ends helped, too. I say effectively layered because my hair was grown out from short without being cut, so the last 6" or so was all different lengths depending on where on my head it started from.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2015, 09:34 PM
In my experience some people just have this kind of hair. Sometimes it being dirty helps, sometimes not using cones helps, sometimes some dry shampoo helps and some hairtoys are better than others. Things with corkscrew shapes like spin pins or mamacats or ketylos. Sometimes nothing really works though. As someone said, it's very silky, fine hair which tends to have these isues and those two thints are lovely qualities.

As a coarse curly, I never have this problem but having friends who do, I can see why it's annoying especially if your fine silky hair needs to put up to avoid breakage. I wish I had a definitive answer, but all I can say is, there may be something t o help in the old thre s ds.

I do know it was wood ketylos, not Dymondwood or acrylic which helped the most and that the most secure claw c lips are the goody half moon that comes in the package of three with the nine tines

velorutionista
February 8th, 2015, 08:57 AM
How exciting that more length and less layers worked well for you! Do you have a specific 3-prong fork that works on extra slippery days? I'm thinking about buying a Jeterfork. The wide prongs look kind of scary, but I'm thinking maybe that's what makes them work so well...?
And yes, I have to make my LWB by wrapping around just one finger. I wouldn't stand a change trying to wrap around my hand. I run out of length way too quickly... I am SO looking forward to being able to wrap a second time and I have big hopes it will help with the hold. I think for now I will have to practice some braided buns.

I love my jeterforks! The wider prongs hold great, and for braided buns, mean I can braid much more loosely (which is comfier for me) and it'll still stay up!

schweedie
February 8th, 2015, 09:24 AM
That's happened to me, too! So ridiculous. I was wearing a French braid at a wedding, and suddenly during dinner I realised something felt wrong - and yup, the elastic had slipped off and my braid was unravelling.

I'm not velorutionista, but I wanted to throw my two cents in here - my failsafe 3-prong is 60th Street. I've never tried Jeterforks because I can tell from the look of them they won't work for me (I need skinny prongs), but 60th Street is the love of my escape-artist hair's life. They can be tricky to get your hands on, though!

rags
February 8th, 2015, 03:25 PM
That's happened to me, too! So ridiculous. I was wearing a French braid at a wedding, and suddenly during dinner I realised something felt wrong - and yup, the elastic had slipped off and my braid was unravelling.

I'm not velorutionista, but I wanted to throw my two cents in here - my failsafe 3-prong is 60th Street. I've never tried Jeterforks because I can tell from the look of them they won't work for me (I need skinny prongs), but 60th Street is the love of my escape-artist hair's life. They can be tricky to get your hands on, though!

Both of these for me! I've lost elastics off the ends of braids several times, the last just a couple of weeks ago.

I've tried both Jeterforks and 60th Street. Jeterforks will hold, but as my hair is fine and thin - they are just not as comfy for me, and don't hold quite as well. 60th Street, on the other hand - give me a three or four prong fork and nothing is going anywhere! (My hair can still escape the 2 prongs though, especially dymondwood). I was lucky enough to amass a collection back when they had their shop open, but nowadays anything other than a 2 prong is hard to come by.

ravenheather
February 8th, 2015, 07:35 PM
I didn't love my 60th st 2 prong. I wonder if a 3 would be better. Jeters on the other hand are great in a 2 or 3.

slynr
February 8th, 2015, 07:52 PM
I didn't love my 60th st 2 prong. I wonder if a 3 would be better. Jeters on the other hand are great in a 2 or 3.

I prefer 3-4 prong 60th street and highly recommend you try one of those or the same in a gvw. I really love mine but not so much the 2 prong.

browneyedsusan
February 9th, 2015, 08:23 AM
@ Schweedie, Rags: I'm glad I'm not the only one that loses hairties! The first time it happened, I thought; "I'll just leave a longer tassle next time." Note to self: it doesn't help! lol!

Repeats after Gertrude: My hair is silky and soft. My hair is silky and soft. My hair is silky and soft....

yogagirl
February 10th, 2015, 05:21 PM
schweedie, thank you for your 60th street recommendation! I am keeping my eye on their etsy shop, but I know I'm not the only one!

rags, I can see how a 2-prong dymondwood fork would not work for slippery hair. I have a 2-fork, neither dymondwood nor 60th street, but it has a very similar shape and is pretty smooth. Doesn't work for me...

velorutionista, I ordered a 3-prong and a 4-prong Jeter now. I can't wait to try them!

BlazingHeart, I'm also a bit doubtful about Ketylos, but they looks so cool I want to give them a try anyway! Waxy pomade, that sounds like it might work for me too.

So I actually managed to keep a Ketylo fork (2 wavy prongs) in my hair yesterday. It was craziness! I think what helped was:
a) my hair was pretty dirty
b) I poked through the meat of the disc bun instead of under the bun and along the scalp
c) the shiny coat has worn of in places and the exposed wood is less slippery (though I want to get that repaired I think... I'm worried about the wood getting yucky)

Gertrude
February 13th, 2015, 05:38 AM
I have Houdini Hair. Today, and it was not wash day, the day after my hair managed to throw off 5 Amish crinkly hair pins, a Four prong Jeterfork and a fabric hair tie to escape the braided bun I put it into. I retrieved 3 hair pins and fork, the rest blew away. Windy day. Fortunately I couldn't help but see the funny side. Escape artist hair. I don't use cones or else I could never bun.

It IS soft and silky (-:

More seriously I have found the four prong Jeterforks do hold well. Fewer prongs no. I also have handcarved two prong forks, like crinkly hair pins that hold as well.

On the days my hair isn't up to escaping...........when the heavens are willing and the creek doesn't rise !

nikkipeachy
February 14th, 2015, 12:53 PM
I've never tried a hair fork, I'm going to have to try one.
My hair can escape out of nearly anything, so updos are a rarity besides a basic bun.

dancingpoet
February 14th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Today my hair decided to spit my fake ficcare out of it. In the street. As a car was coming. It didn't get run over, but one second it was in my hair, the next it wasn't. For some reason, my hair decides to slide out of things most while I am walking outside. Never mind if it was up the entire time I was at work (walking around). It happens the most with lazy wrap buns held with a stick, followed by the nautilus held by a stick. Lazy infinity buns have a slightly better track record for me, and disc buns usually hold like a rock for me, but for some reason, half the times I do them they don't look right.

My go to when I don't have time and I really need it to hold (for dance) is a rope braided nautilus held by a flexi-8. If I have a little bit more time, then it's usually a rose bun held by four spin pins and a few long bobby pins, and yes, interlocking spin pins with bobby pins going through them is a wonderful thing.

I'm just sad that my normal lazy wrap bun (done with minimal twisting) just won't stay up lately... because that bun looks amazingly huge.

Ambystoma
July 31st, 2016, 04:47 PM
Mine has started to fall out of everything all of a sudden - it's always been slippery textured thanks to cones (which I love and don't intend to give up) but now that I've grown it from hip with deep layers in the last 10", where it stayed reasonably well, to just at tailbone stretched it's become an escape artist overnight!

I'm planning to grow to Classic then trim away the majority of the layering over time, hopefully it will go back to being more obedient then!

Cg
August 1st, 2016, 03:15 PM
The following pertains only to buns, as I never leave my hair down except to dry.

Longer prongs on forks work better than short ones, because it takes longer for the hair to work its way loose around a longer piece. With acrylic forks, I always use 3 prongs; for wood ones, the more the better. Most wood forks do not hold as well for me as acrylics either.

Some styles will never work for slick escape artist hair, alas. Almost any braided bun holds better than its unbraided counterpart. I've given up even trying to keep an elastic or tie in. I dampen, braid, and immediately bun.

I've also found that French braiding the back between the ears and nape gives a more secure hold for forks than no braid, even if you have an unbraided bun. Those couple of inches won't show under the bun but braiding makes it a little harder for hair to spit a fork or stick out right away.

brickworld13
August 1st, 2016, 03:41 PM
Damp braided buns. If you want it to took pretty too? Add oil or cones. It will still fall out in a few hours, but at least it holds for a little while.

TatsuOni
August 2nd, 2016, 05:59 AM
Newly washed hair is imposible to tame. Kitty does as kitty wants! If kitty doesn't want to be in a bun then kitty will slip out bit by bit until I have to redo the bun again... After a week it's more managble and when it's getting a bit oily I can even french braid it. Kitty is a wild spirit...

Pouncequick
July 17th, 2021, 09:09 AM
Bumping this thread since my hair is like this and I recently found a way to wear braids without losing the elastic. I braid ribbons (fabric scraps or string) into the ends of my braids and tie them off like Morgan Donner has popularized. It's most secure if I start braiding in the "ribbon" at least five bumps before the braid ends and if I wrap the ribbon tails a couple times before tying it off. I started this a year or so ago and at first I hid the "ribbons", but eventually I got lazy and no one ever commented if I wore my hair in a braid tied off with fraying pieces of fabric. Someday I will buy nicer ribbon I can do this with or make some intentional fabric scraps that are hemmed properly and look nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpT86z93Ec8

TatsuOni
July 17th, 2021, 10:36 AM
We have a more recent thread for this subject :) https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141358&page=10&highlight=houdini-hair+club+thread

Pouncequick
July 17th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Thank you!