PDA

View Full Version : Hair stick styles for children?

shutterpillar
June 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM
If this goes in a different section, please feel free to move it there.

I Googled this topic without much success, so if it has been made then please direct me to a previous thread.

Does anyone have any idea for hair stick styles that will stay put in a child's hair? My daughter is 7 and her hair is thick and about mid-back. She ADORES my sticks, and so far the only thing I have gotten to work is a cinnabun, and even then it falls out after about an hour. My pencil buns don't work in her hair for some reason... perhaps because it isnt quite as long as mine?

Does anyone have any ideas? She would love to wear sticks, but we are having a hard time getting anything to stay.

Lady Neeva
June 12th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I knot bun (twist, then tuck the ends into the loop) should work fine. Or a braided bun with the same process. Does she have layers?

carloota
June 13th, 2012, 05:57 AM
How about a braided chinese bun? That style worked on my daughter's hair, which is thick and long, also.

afu
June 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
you could try a gibraltar, always hold really well for me

auburntressed
June 13th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I was close to 10/11 before I started using hairsticks myself. My experience, though, is that anything to do with kids works better when hair has something to anchor it. So I suggest that any kind of bun or style you try to use a hairstick on, you braid it first.

kaydana
June 13th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I've found that styles where the hair is tied into a ponytail before being twisted into a bun hold better than those that aren't, and most buns can be adapted to begin with a ponytail without changing the final look of the bun. When you put the hair stick in push it behind the hair tie and it should hold fairly solidly.

shutterpillar
June 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you for the responses.

Lady Neeva - she has long layers. the are only in the bottom 3 inches of her hair.

I will try braiding her buns, but I guess I was wondering what type of stick buns to do that can be braided.

Cinnamoon
June 13th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Try a nautilus bun. My hair is also very thick, and it holds like a rock with just one hairstick.

luxepiggy
June 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM
How about trying half-ups? That should broaden the options and give a bit more length to work with, relatively.