PDA

View Full Version : Protein?!

henné
June 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I've read the entire article section and searched the forum for a thread about protein and came up with nada. The only article I found was on the possible dangers of protein (hydrolyzed 'anything') and what a havoc it can wreak on some people's hair.

I did a little strand test on my hair to find out whether it is protein my hair lacks. The hair stretched and broke. It didn't stretch and stretch .... but rather stretched and broke. So I decided that some protein might be in order since I'm already trying out pretty much EVERYTHING on my hair in pursuit of the perfect hair care routine.

But then I have a few problems and issues I'd like you smart folks to answer for me/help me with:

1. What are the best sources of protein? I read that the protein molecule in eggs and other 'natural' protein treatments are too big to bind with the hair molecules (or something like that) which makes it a very ineffective protein source. Supposedly, according to the article, it's better to use 'hydrolyzed protein' as the molecule is smaller and more effective. What do you know about that?

2. Should I risk the possibility to have that insane disastrous reaction to protein and use the conditioner or should I try something else first - perhaps do a test? How would I go about it/what would I use?

Please help an ignorant newb! :flower:

Anje
June 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Go ahead and use a conditioner with protein in it. I'm one of those people whose hair doesn't like protein, and I can tell you that we're in the minority. Most people do just fine with it and even prefer conditioners with some protein content. (For example, Suave Tropical Coconut is a lot of folks' holy grail CO washing conditioner, and it's the only one in their lineup with protein.)

Don't be too worried. You now know what to look for. If you do start getting the rough tangles of protein buildup, just switch to a protein-free conditioner and do some moisturizing treatments to help your hair regain normalcy.

winship2
June 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Just wanted to make a comment about the egg: I do an egg shampoo once a week, followed by a lemon or apple cider vinegar rinse, and it makes my hair beautifully soft and shiny. So, I don't know what exactly might have been intended by the assertion you read that egg protein molecules are too large-- maybe it's true for whatever the writer had in mind-- but it's certain for me that the application of egg is very beneficial for the hair of at least some people.

snowcloud
June 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Just wanted to make a comment about the egg: I do an egg shampoo once a week, followed by a lemon or apple cider vinegar rinse, and it makes my hair beautifully soft and shiny. So, I don't know what exactly might have been intended by the assertion you read that egg protein molecules are too large-- maybe it's true for whatever the writer had in mind-- but it's certain for me that the application of egg is very beneficial for the hair of at least some people.

I would have to second this notion.. Egg proteins get down to business especially when you whip them with something else for instance like.. ACV. That is a perfect mix up for a protein treatment you literally couldn't go wrong with..

In my honest opinion though, I think Coconut and Avocado are the two best protein treatments and just overall nourishment treatments for your head.. Avocado is literally loaded with protein, vitamin E and omega-3's.. Coconut milk or oil is unique in that it doesn't contain MUCH protein but, the protein it does contain is super potent high-quality protein..

Honestly coconut is hands down the way to go for your hair in overall health and protein.. everything.. If your hair is seriously lacking protein though.. you need more in your diet.. The protein you consume is way more influential on your hair than topical application..

Furthermore, I would again prescribe eating coconut.. It is considered to be a nearly perfect diet with almost all the vital nutrients and every amino acid your body needs.. :graduate:

RitaCeleste
June 13th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I like the Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor. Its pretty cheap. My daughter needs it about twice a month. You can pick it up at Sally's or an ethnic hair supply/wig shops usually. Do go straight into their two step treatment just to see if you hair likes protein. Also if you put egg in your hair, rinse with cold water. I cooked egg in my hair once and I haven't forgotten what a disaster that was. My hair was really thick and I was picking bits of egg out of it forever!

henné
June 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'm a little skeptical about egg as I had my own disaster experience with it ... It might have been because I did something wrong or it might have been because my hair/scalp hates it. I'm still not ready to risk it with the egg again :)

What I know of coconut is that the milk contains quite a bit of protein while the oil contains hardly any .... Hmm. I have some coconut oil, but it's past its due date (it was in raw solid form that I refrigerated) and about to throw it out. :(

SpinDance
June 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM
My hair doesn't like much protein, but when I think it needs a bit I just use a conditioner or shampoo that has some in it. Such as V05 Moisture Milk Passion Fruit Smoothie conditioner which has soy milk protein. Once every month or two or three seems to do the trick for me.

LadyHazel
June 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
My hair snapped off BECAUSE of protein, your hair either will really hate it like the vast majority or really love it but that's a risk for you to take protein left my hair looking worse than if I'd just bleached it I was crying for days on end and it's taken a lot of time and money to reverse

spidermom
June 13th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hmm. I have some coconut oil, but it's past its due date (it was in raw solid form that I refrigerated) and about to throw it out. :(

Coconut oil is always solid under about 75 degrees F. If it doesn't have a rancid smell, it's still good.

henné
June 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM
My hair snapped off BECAUSE of protein, your hair either will really hate it like the vast majority or really love it but that's a risk for you to take protein left my hair looking worse than if I'd just bleached it I was crying for days on end and it's taken a lot of time and money to reverse

That's terrible!

I've read of such experiences ... that's just so insane! Was your hair chemically over-processed and damaged at the time? Or can this sort of thing happen to even virgin hair? :(

That's one of those scary things about protein ...

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I think you'll be fine. Some disasters aside, most people don't have the huge disaster of all their hair snapping and breaking off. If your hair disagrees with protein it is likely that the worst you'll get is dry, crunchy ends. If you're still nervous about a disaster, then use a protein-y conditioner instead of a full blown protein treatment. The effects should be more gradual and you can control when to stop.

Mane 'n Tail is a protein heavy conditioner and I loved it until I got protein buildup. It's pretty cheap and comes in a huge bottle, so whenever you want a protein treatment you're likely to have some on hand.