PDA

View Full Version : ACV or Lemon Juice?

Manny1826
June 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM
So I was just wondering... is it better to use ACV or lemon juice to rinse hair after shampooing? (I use shampoo bars, so I need to use one or the other)... i wasn't sure what the difference was, or if there was one that was more beneficial than the other?

Manny1826
June 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Also, are you supposed to use ACV or lemon juice every time you use shampoo bars in general, or does that strip the hair too much?

dollyfish
June 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I've never tried lemon juice, but I hear it's very drying and should only be used occasionally.

ACV (white vinegar works too) is quite the opposite. Some people don't like it because it makes their hair too oily/conditioned, but I have very dry thick hair and use ACV every time I shower. My hair LOVES it!

Though everyone is different. Feel free to experiment :)

Amber_Maiden
June 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM
ACV, diluted, is fine to use after you wash your hair- each time. Also, ACV is probably better then lemon juice.

luxepiggy
June 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I'd have to disagree with the previous posters here. If you're using shampoo bars, you're probably going to have problems with hard water residues. Lemon juice is more effective at sequestering hard water ions than ACV.

Manny1826
June 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I do have very hard water where i live... that's why i was concerned that ACV may not be strong enough to truly rinse the shampoo... but then i'm also concerned that lemon juice may be drying as a couple of the folks above mentioned

caadam
June 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
ACV is a good conditioner, thus when the "no 'poo" movement came around, people were raving about using BS and ACV as shampoo and conditioner alternatives.

Lemon juice is very beneficial if you have hard water. I learned this some weeks ago. It'll chelate residue off the hair, including mineral deposits. ACV doesn't do that.

If you're using a shampoo bar... you might deal with residue at one point. Lemon juice will come in handy for that. Just dilute it in water and it'll be fine. You'll have to mess around with ratios in order to find out what works best for you. I actually like lemon juice better than ACV. For me, ACV's only benefit is to help my scalp when it's itchy. Lemon juice helps a lot when I'm dealing with residue and mineral deposits, and it smells better than ACV. lol

caadam
June 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Also, I know some people prefer to use lemon juice over ACV because of the smell, or they might just like lemon juice more. In my experience, lemon juice never left my hair dry. In fact, it left my hair quite moist. I guess it just depends on how much you use and the kind of hair you have. *nods*

Manny1826
June 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
thanks for everyone's input! sounds like ACV might be a good thing to use on a more regular basis with lemon just every couple of weeks or so to take the hard water residue away!

henné
June 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
What about mixing both ACV and lemon juice (with lots of water) as a follow up after a WO in order to alleviate the grease-triggered itchiness and condition the hair at the same time?

Is that a ridiculous idea? :o:couch:

dwell_in_safety
June 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Lemon juice helps me keep scalp buildup at bay, with my ridiculously hard water. ACV doesn't cut it. I use lemon juice (very diluted) on my scalp and ACV (again diluted, of course) on my length. I need lemon juice every wash, or I will have yellow buildup all over my scalp once it's dry. Blech. It's not drying my hair out any, though. :)