PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean about my hair???

Lassie
June 12th, 2012, 12:43 AM
My simply will not hold a curl. At all.
No matter what method i use - the curls drop after about 2 hours and my hair goes back to its normal state, which is predominantly straight.
My hair type is fairly course, its not slippery, i don't use cones.

Its almost waist length - but is not thick, probably medium at best. And it never used to be like this which makes it even more baffling. Between APL to BSL it would hold a curl all day, no product.
Now, even with product, it just doesn't hold. Is it to do with the length?
(i can't even get heat curls to hold, if i curl with an iron, they stay about 3-4 hours, and the drop again)

Today i did some super tight pin curls, and when i took them out they were tight ringlets - after 2 hours, barely even a wave.

I dont 'brush' the curls out, barely even finger brush.
Have tried wet, damp, almost dry - nothing makes a difference.

What does this mean about my hair? Does anyone else have hair like this? How do you make the curl stay?

PorcelainHorror
June 12th, 2012, 12:47 AM
It could mean that your cuticle layer is very thick thus making your hair very resistant to curl.

Shehesitated
June 12th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Now that your hair is significantly longer, it very well may be too heavy to hold a curl for very long. Another thing it could be is that you might have too much product build up on your hair, or you aren't using the right products for your hair. Does your hair seem weak? It could be craving some protein.
My hair is a pain in the butt in general when it comes to curling. What works for me is curling with a flat iron. I don't know what it is about it, but the curls hold for DAYS. No joke. And that's just with a heat protectant but NO hairspray! I would highly recommend trying that!

deltadeliquent
June 12th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I have to chime in too.
I used to live in Oregon where the water is quite soft. I permed my hair once a year since my hair is pretty course and I figured that I would never have sleek shiny hair, so I might as well have wild barbarian hair...My hair would hold the curl until I had it cut off.
When I moved to the UK I had several perms, ouch!, but none of them took. after a month all of them disappeared and I was back to simply naturally frizzy hair without any curl. I could't understand it as aLL. It was a vert sudden change, and happened even when my hairdresser used an American product. It was a mystery to both of us.
Now being on LHC, I think it must be the hardness of the water here in the UK. I now take better care of my hair including using a cheating shampoo every once in a while to get rid of the mineral buildup and a clarifying shampoo every 2-3 months to get rid of product buildup. I tend to use mostly natural things in my hair now but sometimes reach for those cones for the tangles...
I haven't permed since LHC, but I do use curlformers and they make great curls that stay and stay. Usually they get washed out every 3-4 days.
I recommend trying this routine and see what happens. it might be minerals from your water...

Lassie
June 12th, 2012, 01:51 AM
hmmm i hadn't thought of the water...

We have been on tank water for the last 14month (as in just natural rainwater).
Could that be it? Is natural rain water much different from town water? (better or worse for hair?) The timing does kinda coincide.

I try to use mainly natural shampoo's and conditioners, and tons of coconut oil - my hair LOVES the stuff, i do use a clarifying shampoo every other month or if i feel i have buildup...

Thanks for the tip re flat iron curls :) - they do seem to hold longer then any other curl, even a curling iron curl - but even then 'longer' for my hair just means it will last all day, rather then hours. I avoid heat styling as much as possible - and its so annoying because i LOVE the look of sock bun curls, and they work out so nice on my hair, but within an hour or 2 they disappear :(

Zesty
June 12th, 2012, 02:47 AM
It could be the length, or the water, or both working together. I'm not an expert but maybe you could try some gel in damp hair before you use your curling method?

Altariel
June 12th, 2012, 05:48 AM
My hair never held curls they just refuse, I make curls but after 30 min- 1 hour my hair are back as normal.
I think it's the lenght...

White Sides
June 12th, 2012, 05:37 PM
It's probably just getting heavier... A sacrifice for long hair I guess:/
At least your neck muscles are stronger:D

catamonica
June 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
When I wear it down, its wavy from a braided bun. If you braid it at night, wet the braid. It should come out wavy in the morning.