View Full Version : favorite online photo storage?

patienceneeded
June 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I have been wondering what online photo storage system y'all use? I'm mainly interested in a secure online place to store hair pics that will link easily to this site for photosharing. I DO have an online photostorage (Snapfish) but that doesn't link easily to this site. At least, I have never managed to get it to work.

So, what sites do you all use and how easy is it to link here? I'm pretty much only going to use it for hair shots that will be shared here. I'll keep Snapfish for everything else.

The reason I'm asking is due to the LHC album system being a bit moody.

EdG
June 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I use www.2mhost.com. For $2.75/month, one gets actual web hosting, not just photo storage or advertising-laden web pages.
Ed

juicy-glitter
June 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I will be keeping an eye on this...

longhairedwolf
June 11th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Is the photo uploader at this site down? I can't seem to load any pics to my album.

dollyfish
June 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM
imgur.com

Free, and very fast and simple! And you can make accounts, though I never have.

darklyndsea
June 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Imageshack. It's free, and when I was on a previous forum it was the only one we could use because there were enough people there that images on e.g. photobucket ended up as a "this picture's bandwidth has been exceeded" placeholders too soon. Copy the direct link, push the picture button on here, voila! picture! (there's also a "for forums" code to copy, although I don't usually do it that way. Just remember, the one with square brackets.)

EdG
June 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Is the photo uploader at this site down? I can't seem to load any pics to my album.Yes, the LHC albums are down. There is a thread about it under site support.
Ed

RapunzelKat
June 12th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Oh, I will also be watching this thread, I would definitely like to be able to share photos again :thumbsup:

I have another question along the same lines... If you post a picture from another photo hosting site, is it possible to have the same privacy settings you would have if you posted from an LHC album, so they are visible to LHC members only?

PolarCathy
June 12th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I like flickr. Have been using it for ... four years? Five?

darklyndsea
June 12th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Oh, I will also be watching this thread, I would definitely like to be able to share photos again :thumbsup:

I have another question along the same lines... If you post a picture from another photo hosting site, is it possible to have the same privacy settings you would have if you posted from an LHC album, so they are visible to LHC members only?
No, because other sites don't know who's a member here. The closest you can get is if you only link to your pictures, and have them password-protected. And then, how are you getting the password to people? It's a good solution if you only want to show a few people, though, as you can PM them or put the password in a blog post that non-members can't read (possibly you'd be able to use a passworded photo as usual in a blog post that only members can read, but I'm not sure). Oh, or if you only link to/give the password out in the sub-forums that are only accessible to members.

RapunzelKat
June 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM
No, because other sites don't know who's a member here. The closest you can get is if you only link to your pictures, and have them password-protected. And then, how are you getting the password to people? It's a good solution if you only want to show a few people, though, as you can PM them or put the password in a blog post that non-members can't read (possibly you'd be able to use a passworded photo as usual in a blog post that only members can read, but I'm not sure). Oh, or if you only link to/give the password out in the sub-forums that are only accessible to members.

Thank you! I thought this was probably the case but I figured I'd ask. Good to know before I decide whether to use another photo sharing site ;)

pepperminttea
June 12th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I use Imgur with an account. :) (You don't need one, but it's free to sign up and I prefer it so I can delete things more easily if I need to; you can delete without an account, but you need to save the deletion URL they give you when you upload).

I also use Photobucket, but not as much; it's not as simple or user-friendly, but it is also free.

I have used Flickr for non-hair things in the past, but I've never felt comfortable uploading hair shots there; there's a whole lot of creepers lurking, and some of the comments I've seen on hair shots have made my skin crawl. shudder: Flickr's has a limit on free accounts for how much you can upload each month, but unless you're uploading large amounts a free account works fine.

There's also TinyPic.com - I wouldn't recommend them. There's no sign up, and it's free, but they do recycle image URLs, so you might post a photo of a bun in a thread which then a few months later becomes a photo of, say, a toaster. (Or something more 'adult'... that's the risk.)

longhairedwolf
June 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the info, Ed!

Wildcat Diva
June 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I have just tried image shack and it seems ok so far. Just got started.

Chromis
June 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I use Flickr. I have a pro account because I take lots of pictures. I set most of them to friends/family only. I can also direct link them (and do fast re-sizing) or make a guest pass for people see an album or the whole stream who don't have an account.

Zindell
June 15th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I use www.photobucket.com and have done for years. It suits my needs and I'm too lazy to go out and compare it with other sites. :D
Easy to link to pictures and nice easy editing tools.

DarkCurls
June 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I use tinypic. :p No real reason except fast, and imageshack went down at some point so I turned to tinypic then and kind of forgot to go back. I think the layout is much clearer, anyway.

browneyedsusan
June 15th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'll be watching this thread.
I'm not fond of the whole world seeing my pictures--creepers are creepy!-- but want a secure way to share progress with all of you.

lapushka
June 15th, 2012, 03:43 PM

With Imageshack, I know you can password protect your pictures, so they won't show up in searches or Google or anything and no one can access them as a whole, but that won't stop you from being able to link to the pictures and include them into threads. If, however, you post that certain picture here on the mane forum, the picture will be visible to the www.