PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for dye?

BrunetteElf
June 11th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Hiya! Are there any tips or any steps I can do to protect/minimize damage to my hair before dying it a darker color? Thanks ahead of time for any replies!

natural_shine
June 11th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Try some heavy conditioner, the type for dameged hair and such.

meteor
June 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Definitely cover the hair with some penetrating oil (coconut is good) before dye. It's more important for bleach rather than going darker, but it's still a great practice.

juicy-glitter
June 11th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I can vouch for the coconut oil,, used to highlight, ended up with totally fried hair...... now i coconut oil (yes some hairstylist are disgusted, but who cares you'll never see them again anyway!) leave the salon (shower, w/e) completely slather your hair in coconut oil, to the point its gross,a nd leave that in for at least a couple of days. No shampoo for a week either!

BrunetteElf
June 11th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ladies, now, am I correct in thinking the coconut oil will not effect the dye in any way?

Tisiloves
June 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ladies, now, am I correct in thinking the coconut oil will not effect the dye in any way?

It might depend on the dye, but I used to dye over very oily hair and it took just fine.

CanadaSquirrel
June 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Am I the only one or did anyone else think of this when they saw the title of this thread being "preparing for dye"?

Prepare To Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVGlDblEmA)

(And please post some before and after pictures once you've finished the dye job, BrunetteElf!)

Tisiloves
June 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Am I the only one or did anyone else think of this when they saw the title of this thread being "preparing for dye"?

Prepare To Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVGlDblEmA)

(And please post some before and after pictures once you've finished the dye job, BrunetteElf!)

My name is Inigo Montoya, you terped my henna, prepare to dye.:draw:

Hollyfire3
June 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM
My name is Inigo Montoya, you terped my henna, prepare to dye.:draw:

ROFL!!!!! Only here at LHC....:D

akilina
June 11th, 2012, 11:16 PM
It might depend on the dye, but I used to dye over very oily hair and it took just fine.
This exactly. What kind of dye will you be using? Permanent? Or a demi permanent dye?
I don't think you would have issues using permanent dye on oiled hair but I am not exactly sure how a demi permanent dye would penetrate. Maybe it would be just fine.
Here is an example...when bleaching it is recommended to bleach, shampoo, tone, then condition. It is good to not tone after conditioning because sometimes depending on the conditioner it wont take as well because your hair is already sort of filled in. Or, applying dye on hair that is moist and wet for some reason...the color (in my experience) has definitely not taken as well as it had on dry hair. One time I used color oops then oiled very heavily and dyed the next day and the color turned out really horribly over the oil.
Also...if your hair is pretty healthy and you are just using a deposit only demi or semi permanent dye I wouldn't even worry about slathering oil on before hand. A nice good oil treatment a few days later would benefit you just as well.

BrunetteElf
June 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
@CanadaSquirrel :p Now that you mention it.. I really should rethink the titles of my threads!

@akilina I'm using a permanent color, since I really do not care for my natural color, but I do agree with you, the color seems to take much better when my hair is dry than wet.

pink.sara
June 12th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I use a permanent after coconut oiling to reduce damage caused by the peroxide.

Even dark hair dye if it's a permanent will have a low level peroxide to lift cuticles and oxidise the colour so oiling will benefit you. Also I have never found oiling impaired the uptake of a permanent dye, quite the opposite actually as it makes it easier to distribute the dye evenly.

Post pics :)

afu
June 12th, 2012, 07:33 AM
With permanant dye i would defininitly recommend coconut oil, it shouldn't effect your colour. When I have my bleach highlights done I apply coconut oil at least an hour before going to the salon, When the stylist is done washing I leave the salon with wet hair (bunned), stick a deep conditioner on for an hour or so when I get home, rinse and continue life as usual :)

Changling
June 12th, 2012, 08:03 AM
If you are going darker rather than lighter, it might be suitable for you to use a deposit-only dye and avoid damage altogether. In which case, you will want to be sure NOT to oil first, or it likely won't stick. Downside is that you will have to dye it much more often, I think.

BrunetteElf
June 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM
@pink.sara Thanks for the info and I definitely will! :)

@afu I'll try that this time, really want my hair to be in decent shape afterwards.

@Changling Yeah, once upon a dream I used deposit dye but got tired of the upkeep! I know, I know, lazyness. :(