PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar Rinse with Herbs

absinthewilde
June 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Has anybody used vinegar that has had herbs steeping in it for a rinse? I usually rinse my hair with 2 tbsp of white vinegar diluted in a pitcher of water. I have been wanting to try out catnip rinses and I am also a big fan of products with rosemary in them. I have catnip and rosemary plants so I was thinking maybe I should just infuse those herbs in the bottle of vinegar. Would that have any benefits?

CountessMommy
June 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I use ACV as my conditioner but I have never tried herb in it. I think that sounds like something fun to explore. Thanks for the idea. : )

jillosity
June 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I've infused ACV with rosemary, lavender, various basils, rose petals, they all worked great and it was a nice change of pace from plain ACV. My best infusing experiment was with orange blossoms! I did several infusions, meaning I infused and strained and added more petals, and the scent really lingered in my hair. I also infused some coconut oil with orange blossoms which was absolute heaven!

edited to add that rosemary is good for dandruff and is said to help darken hair, I think that would be a long haul though. I am not certain if catnip would be especially effective in ACV, but I think since many here use it as a tea for their hair, it would probably have similar beneficial properties infused in ACV.

ravenreed
June 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I do. I tried starting a thread but didn't get much response. I usually add chamomile, rosemary, ginger, mint, and lavender. I leave the herbs in for two weeks, shaking the bottle each day, and then I strain.

Natalia
June 11th, 2012, 08:03 PM
here is a link with more detailed instructions if anyone wants it - http://mountainroseblog.com/herbal-culinary-infusions/

ravenheather
June 11th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I use acv that has nettle, rosemary, sage. I did the two weeks before strainging. I use catnip too but as a tea.

morrigan*
June 12th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I brew tea from herbs and then add ACV, it's really great, but i will try infusing it with blossoms, just don't know which to choose.

Ocelan
June 12th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I make herb tea and add ACV aswell. The herbs I've used so far are nettle and parsley + rooibos tea, but I'm interested in trying sage and rosemary at some point for the possible darkening effects.

morrigan*
June 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I make herb tea and add ACV aswell. The herbs I've used so far are nettle and parsley + rooibos tea, but I'm interested in trying sage and rosemary at some point for the possible darkening effects.

I love sage and rosemary, but i didn't notice any darkening.

Ocelan
June 12th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I love sage and rosemary, but i didn't notice any darkening.

Well I hear they're good for things like shine aswell, and a person can never have enough of that, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. ;)

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
The book Naturally Healthy Hair has loads of hair recipes for shampoo, conditioner, acid vinegar rinses....and some of her recipes include the use of steeping herbs in the vinegar rinses.....

Here's a link to the book so you can see the cover.
http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Healthy-Hair-Treatments-Fabulous/dp/158017129X

The author is Mary Beth Janssen. She approaches hair care from an Ayurvedic point of view. The first couple of chapters are about this. Then she goes into information about all things hair, then come the recipes which are fairly extensive, and the last chapter is devoted to styling hair. It's one of the books I consider as a Hair Bible. One typically has to special order this book as it generally is not on bookstore shelves. Maybe it'll be in a used book store or library....maybe....

heidi w.

morrigan*
June 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Well I hear they're good for things like shine aswell, and a person can never have enough of that, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. ;)
Yes it's true, since i started using avc i have super shiny hair :D, especially virgin part.

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 10:08 AM
The book I reference above, the bulk of that book is recipes, several using herbs.

heidi w.

morrigan*
June 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM
The book I reference above, the bulk of that book is recipes, several using herbs.

heidi w.

Thank you heidi i must look into it :), hope i can get it somewhere here :o

Amber_Maiden
June 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I've been using catnip in ACV for the past 4 months.

prettykitty
June 12th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm currently steeping some Rosemary in white vinegar to use for a herbal rinse. I only had dried Rosemary though, I think fresh would be much better. Damn snails ate all my herbs though :/ If I like it I'll make another lot using ACV and some fresh herbs.

JellyBene
June 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
How exactly is this done? Just toss some herbs into a bottle of vinegar and let it set for a few weeks before straining/using? And do you dilute the vinegar before adding the herbs or after?

absinthewilde
June 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I should worry about the darkening effect with rosemary. I have henna red that I punch up with manic panic but I really want my hair to be brighter. I like rosemary though for it's growth encouragement. I was planning on just putting the herbs straight into the container of vinegar and not even bother straining it and whenever I was ready for a wash I would take a couple of tablespoons from that and add it to water. I never thought about adding flowers to it but I think I will do that to now. I have the hardest time getting nice scents to linger in my hair.

DinaAG
December 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM
so back to that :) was searching for herbal rinses, today i might try boiling dried rosemary and peppermint and let them cool and add them to my citric acid rinse, anyone found the rinses useful?
edited: or shall i boil peppermint, tea, rosemary and add them with some citric acid in a bottle and spray it on the roots in a daily massage instead of oils that i cant use now on my roots?