PDA

View Full Version : Anyone WOing in between shampoo/CWC washes?

henné
June 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Do you? How do you go about it and why did you decide to do so? How long does your hair stay 'clean' after shampoo washing (or CWC) and how long does it stay clean after WO? Is there any special washing technique with WO - any WO secret? :)

I'm wondering about this because my friend with the most gorgeous hair ever told me that that's her beauty secret. She never oils her hair ... she just does shampoo once a week and then WO once a week. I think that could actually do it :) Also, she always wears her hair either down or in a ponytail and she has zero split ends or any sort of visible damage :rant: :D

dollyfish
June 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Most of the time, yes. Though if things just don't "feel right" I might do an ACV rinse but nothing else. My hair LOVES vinegar of any kind.

I wash with shampoo (a bar) and then ACV rinse every 3-5 days or so, though I can get by with less. It just means you have to do lots of BBBrushing/finger combing/scritching/etc to redistribute oil build up. But yes, I recommend this method :)

henné
June 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hey! Thanks for reply! I have a brush that I thought was BBB, but now I'm not sure ... it was quite expensive, but I seriously can't remember whether it is a BBB or not ... plus I'm a bit wary of brushing with BBB anyway. I've never scritched before, I guess I should look into it :)

juicy-glitter
June 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Sometimes, if going hiking/camping, or just staying around home for a long bit of time, I WO for as long as possible, sometimes 3 weeks! My hair seems muchhh shinier and smother when I finally get around to washing it...

lmfbs
June 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I tried WO between CO washes, but I can usually only get 1/2way through day 3 (usually CO wash every 4-5 days, was hoping to stretch to 10 with WO in between, but so far, only to 8) before the limpness drives me mental. It's not so much oil, but rather flat from the ears up, and boofy in the lenght. I think this might be more to do with not using a BBB to distribute the oils, so the ends lose moisture and the scalp gets weighted down.

jackie_brown
June 11th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I do WO between CWC (i shampoo once a week) to wash the sweat out, in fact only during the summer or if i go jogging.

spidermom
June 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I've recently started an experiment of rinsing my scalp but not my length after workouts. I don't know if that counts as a WO, though. I'm not washing, merely rinsing.

caadam
June 11th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I think my biggest secret that got WO working very well for me was Miracle water. I have hard water, and because I don't have a filter system, I mix a bit of citric acid powder and ascorbic acid powder in a 2 liter bottle of water. Mix and then rinse. This does very well to keep my hair free of any mineral deposits, and it does help to keep my hair from staying in a constant very-oily state.

However, I recently did an oil/condition treatment, and now my hair is completely oil free. lol Though with my fresh start, I'm contemplating just stretching washes and going back to COing every few days. :)

Also... BBBing helped a lot, too. I love my BBB. ♥

henné
June 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
My new or now 'normal' routine was CWCing twice per week (I just found out I was doing it all wrong, btw, haha). I tried CO washing only once and I had to wash my hair on the second day after washing it (or more like 1.5 days) later - so about 1-2 days earlier than with CWC and I honestly didn't like the way my hair felt and looked (I used the okayed conditioner).

My biggest problem with stretching time between washes is itchy scalp - I hate the oily look and feel, but the itchiness is the WORST. When my scalp starts getting oily, it starts itching and then I start scratching and then it's time to wash it or I'll scratch the HELL outta my scalp and I know that ain't good. Any advice for that??? At first I thought it was because of lack of oiling my scalp, but it's happening still even month after I started oiling regularly before washes.

ravenheather
June 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I have oily hair, though it's getting better. I cwc (with oil as the first c) 2xs per week. My hair looks good for 2-3 days. Usually on day 3 I wo unless the ends also look dry then I co. Wo buys me another 2 days. Co buys me one more day. Last week I tried a catnip tea rinse left on for 10 min. It was really good. My hair was as clean as wo but with softer ends.

lolot
June 11th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I think is up to your hair.
I have do it and my hair looks flat and dry even with CO :(, my hair boost with shampoo.

Retzel
June 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Just wondering what WO means? (Sorry, I'm new here as of today!)

Moor_tu_lyfe
June 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM
WO means "water only"- washing your hair with water, but not shampoo or conditioner. Sometimes people also use vinegar rinse when doing WO, to combat hard water, and it is still pretty much considered WO. As Cadaam said earlier, her miracle water helps a LOT with trying WO (thanks Cadaam, but still couldn't get it to work long term!:))

CWC means condition-wash-condition, just in case you were wondering.

As to WOing between washes, I'm going to embark on that experiment now. I miss the thickness of WO, although I could never get the oiliness under control...

PolarCathy
June 12th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I WO all the time between washes. In April (?) I started to use Mane 'n Tail, after years of WO, because people were raving about it tht it gives a lot of growth etc. But by now I don't use it more often than once every ten days or so, and even then, diluted and on roots only. I just don't feel like I need to shampoo. But I do WO (or tea something) every 2-3 days.

Henné, there is a looong WO thread, I used to post there too, I don' know if you found that, lots of "secrets" there. :)

Spidermom, IMO that is WO. (Do I recall correctly that I saw you saying WO is something you'd never try, "eeeeek"? I assume you meant WO in the long run?)

Katze
June 12th, 2012, 12:53 AM
My washes ARE WO. :)

CWC is the 'exception' for me.

Since about January, I've been WO washing 2-3x a week, with CWC washes (or WC, or SMT with sulfate shampoos) when needed - maybe twice a month. I can't really go no-poo, but feel that WO is better for my scalp and hair than a lot of CWC. CO makes my hair very shiny, soft, and wavy, but my scalp tends to get unhappy.

WO makes my hair a lot more manageable and less wispy, though also darker in color and with less body, but more wave. I actually went and got highlights, since the months of WO and SMT only have made my hair super, super dark.

WO, at the moment, is the best way to wash my hair. However, I am pregnant, so this might be a random thing, and my hair is notorious for NOT liking something after a while, so I am just waiting for it to reject WO, too. :)

henné
June 12th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone.

I tried my first WO yesterday night and this morning my hair feels good, but my scalp is getting mildly itchy in the back of my head (arrrgh the back of my head :rant:!). The fact is that I have way more wave and even a few loose curls that I haven't seen in forever :eyebrows: So ... I think I'll give this WOing in-between washes a try. I might have to do a regular CWC tomorrow or on thursday - we shall see how well I'll be able to tolerate the dang itch.

I have to have my hair clean and perfect for this Saturday because I'm going to a wedding, so maybe I'll do one more WO before finally shampooing it on Friday eve or Saturday morn.

PolarCathy - what shampoo and cleansing/moisturising conditioners do you use? I use Neutral for my first cleansing conditioner and the purple Elseve for moisturizing length and ends. Shampoo I use is UrteKram's Nordic Birch.

PolarCathy
June 12th, 2012, 01:27 AM
PolarCathy - what shampoo and cleansing/moisturising conditioners do you use? I use Neutral for my first cleansing conditioner and the purple Elseve for moisturizing length and ends. Shampoo I use is UrteKram's Nordic Birch.

Mane 'n Tail original shampoo but very diluted. Maybe like 20% or less. I'm not really into conditioners.... Conditioners in general make my hair more slippery than I like.

Interestingly enough, there is one exception that I can use to make my hair "grippier", the same MnT "original" condish, only from ears down or so, as a leave-in (I'm weird). But I don't wear it down - I don't know if it would make it look heavy... If I need moisture, I use aloe vera gel (watered down a bit, it takes up a lot of water).

What other conditioners... I like to use straight ACV on me sometimes, like once a week, on my roots only, with an applicator bottle. I like what it does to my scalp. Then - and only then - I slather my length in this supercheap Coop X-tra conditioner (like 10 SEK for 500ml) because I don't want the ACV to dry it out if it gets there. But after this my hair is very slippery for a day or two. If I can't stand it, it doesn't even hold in a Dutch braid pinned up, then I rinse it with some tea to give it some grip... or rice water or something.

I tried Urtekram (shampoo), the plain version of it, and DBF has been using it for over a year now. He has superfine, short hair and with UK he can go 3 or 4 days, while with everything else his hair gets greasy in two days or less. I like it too. If I hadn't ordered MnT from the UK only for the promises you know, I would probably use Urtekram on my roots for that once-in-every-ten-days poo session, it's a good shampoo. But I find it very concentrated as it is.

Sorry for the long post.

SnowWhite
June 12th, 2012, 03:28 AM
How do you go about it and why did you decide to do so?
I WO between washes because I have to shower after I've exercised and I want to rinse all the sweat out.

How long does your hair stay 'clean' after shampoo washing (or CWC) and how long does it stay clean after WO?

My old routine was: Shampoo every other day.
My current routine consists of shampooing every four days and WO on the second day in between. That's my way to stretching my shampoo washes.
I have to say that I had a very itchy scalp too and I thought it would be impossible to stretch my shampoo washes but I'm succeeding! The secret for me to get rid of the itchiness was: stretching washes :p .
What doesn't work for me is using (cone free) conditioner on my scalp! Even when prepooing, CWCing or so... It makes my hair greasier in some way... I thought it would help with the itchiness and dandruff but it didn't. Now I only use it on my hair ends. :)

henné
June 12th, 2012, 03:48 AM
How do you go about it and why did you decide to do so?
I WO between washes because I have to shower after I've exercised and I want to rinse all the sweat out.

How long does your hair stay 'clean' after shampoo washing (or CWC) and how long does it stay clean after WO?

My old routine was: Shampoo every other day.
My current routine consists of shampooing every four days and WO on the second day in between. That's my way to stretching my shampoo washes.
I have to say that I had a very itchy scalp too and I thought it would be impossible to stretch my shampoo washes but I'm succeeding! The secret for me to get rid of the itchiness was: stretching washes :p .
What doesn't work for me is using (cone free) conditioner on my scalp! Even when prepooing, CWCing or so... It makes my hair greasier in some way... I thought it would help with the itchiness and dandruff but it didn't. Now I only use it on my hair ends. :)

I think I have the same problem with applying conditioner to my scalp ... If I wash it out with a diluted shampoo afterwards, then it's not a problem, but if I just CO, by the end of the next day, I start feeling like I need to wash again and start getting a little itchy, not to mention the limp flat hair. I actually don't understand how it can work for others by supporting their curls - I get the exact opposite effect. And with shampoo, I only wash my hair twice a week tops. So, CO is an absolute no-go for me :) But then full-strength shampoo makes my scalp too dry and I really don't want to oil my hair before every wash anymore as it also makes my hair greasier sooner ... :justy:

This whole finding the perfect routine thing is sooooo tough!

PolarCathy- I need an advice: Where can I get aloe vera gel in Sweden? I went to a healtfood store and it had some alcohol stuff in it, which can't be good for hair. Do you have a link for the product you use?

PolarCathy
June 12th, 2012, 04:08 AM
PolarCathy- I need an advice: Where can I get aloe vera gel in Sweden? I went to a healtfood store and it had some alcohol stuff in it, which can't be good for hair. Do you have a link for the product you use?

I haven't found quality stuff in Sweden either. I buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251045840326

henné
June 12th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Thanks, Cathy! How much did it cost you with shipping? Is it really worth it? Does it moisturize better than a conditioner? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions ... it's just that I'm really cheap (aka broke) :D

PolarCathy
June 12th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks, Cathy! How much did it cost you with shipping? Is it really worth it? Does it moisturize better than a conditioner? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions ... it's just that I'm really cheap (aka broke) :D

Yo, apparently she just changed the shipping costs these weeks... Last time (in April) I bought 2x500g + 1x1kg and she sent the whole thing for £3 (I didn't even ask for combined shipping, she just sent the invoice). Now it's more expensive, for 1kg she charges £6.49 // 500g £3.99. I assume she still combines though... (--> ask before you buy a hectoliter)

For me, ... IDK how I could live without it for 30+ years. I'm :inlove: I use it for everything, hair, face. The only thing I use on my face. I dilute it down, it's good quality (thick), I can add about 2-3 parts of water to it and it's still a thick lotion.

dollyfish
June 12th, 2012, 05:41 AM
My biggest problem with stretching time between washes is itchy scalp - I hate the oily look and feel, but the itchiness is the WORST. When my scalp starts getting oily, it starts itching and then I start scratching and then it's time to wash it or I'll scratch the HELL outta my scalp and I know that ain't good. Any advice for that??? At first I thought it was because of lack of oiling my scalp, but it's happening still even month after I started oiling regularly before washes.

This happens to me too. A huge part of successful WO washing is to very thoroughly itch the ever living heck out of your scalp in the shower! I usually flip my head upside down to get better access to the scalp and scritch away for a good long while. This is also how I shampoo (bar) when I need to. I have thick hair and a difficult-to-reach scalp :p

henné
June 12th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Yo, apparently she just changed the shipping costs these weeks... Last time (in April) I bought 2x500g + 1x1kg and she sent the whole thing for £3 (I didn't even ask for combined shipping, she just sent the invoice). Now it's more expensive, for 1kg she charges £6.49 // 500g £3.99. I assume she still combines though... (--> ask before you buy a hectoliter)

For me, ... IDK how I could live without it for 30+ years. I'm :inlove: I use it for everything, hair, face. The only thing I use on my face. I dilute it down, it's good quality (thick), I can add about 2-3 parts of water to it and it's still a thick lotion.

I just read on hennaboy that the British Royal Mail changed its prices, hence the shipping price increase :( DANGIT! :justy:

According to what you're saying, the AV gel should be well worth the investment! I'm going to probably get it :) Thank you!

Katze
June 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
This happens to me too. A huge part of successful WO washing is to very thoroughly itch the ever living heck out of your scalp in the shower! I usually flip my head upside down to get better access to the scalp and scritch away for a good long while. This is also how I shampoo (bar) when I need to. I have thick hair and a difficult-to-reach scalp :p

I can't scratch, because it makes my scalp unhappy (crusty, itchy, flaky) but I do agree that massaging your scalp under the water and using your finger pads to move the sebum down the length is really important to WO! I usually start my shower by doing so once, let it rest while doing other shower stuff, then do it 2-3 more times. Sometimes (usually when I know I need to make my next wash one with shampoo) I can really FEEL the sebum - like oily waxy coating on my hair - moving down to about shoulder level.

Interesting that so many people use a WO as an in-between. For me, any time I get my hair wet, I consider it a wash, and it took me a while to find out that most LHCers don't think that way.

henne, we have very similar hair, but yours is long and mine is short (27 would be my goal length which I will probably never have!). Is your hair also quite hard to deal with in terms of varying texture, changing its mind what it wants, etc? I have noticed that a lot of people with fine, wavy hair do seem to do well with WO...

Macaroni
June 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Now that I think of it :thud:, I've changed to CWC and always do WO in my daily shower.

henné
June 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I can't scratch, because it makes my scalp unhappy (crusty, itchy, flaky) but I do agree that massaging your scalp under the water and using your finger pads to move the sebum down the length is really important to WO! I usually start my shower by doing so once, let it rest while doing other shower stuff, then do it 2-3 more times. Sometimes (usually when I know I need to make my next wash one with shampoo) I can really FEEL the sebum - like oily waxy coating on my hair - moving down to about shoulder level.

Interesting that so many people use a WO as an in-between. For me, any time I get my hair wet, I consider it a wash, and it took me a while to find out that most LHCers don't think that way.

henne, we have very similar hair, but yours is long and mine is short (27 would be my goal length which I will probably never have!). Is your hair also quite hard to deal with in terms of varying texture, changing its mind what it wants, etc? I have noticed that a lot of people with fine, wavy hair do seem to do well with WO...

It is possible, but to be honest, I don't really know my hair that well as I've been hennaying it for the past 10 years - always the entire length, never just the roots - so my hair has been weighed down and the texture was/still is absolutely different from what I kinda sorta remember of my hair from pre-henna times. Now that the henna is growing out, I can see my natural hair at my roots is a bit finer in texture and also has the tendency to frizz and is much wavier. But yes, my hair is very temperamental and very sensitive to humidity in air, etc.

My scalp though is insane. It is very very sensitive and when I scratch, it can get red and inflamed. Some years ago, I scratched so much that I got some sort of infection and it was a b**** to get rid off, so never again. I'm scratch-o-phobic. However, I'm willing to give a shot to 'scritching' with a wooden comb. I read up on the technique and I'm planning to try it out soon.

---

Btw, I'm SHOCKED that now, 24 hours after washing my hair with water only (+ adding some conditioner to my ends to keep them moisturized), it still is in a decent shape! It's not oily and while my scalp is not at its happiest, it mostly just tingles without being full on itchy. Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm hoping I can make it to thursday to WO again so that I can wash my hair with a little shampoo on friday even/sat morning.

henné
June 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
PolarCathy! - A question: What do you think of this one? http://www.bodystore.com/3/sv/artiklar/aloe-vera-jelly

or this one: http://www.bodystore.com/3/sv/artiklar/aloe-vera-moisturizing-gel-98-240-ml (I saw this brand in US)

It says it's 99.4% pure :) It has some other stuff in it, but it seems absolutely impossible to get a totally 100% pure aloe vera around here ... never even tried to get it anywhere else though ;)

Red89
June 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I used to have a strict way I did things. But lately I have just been checking out my hair and deciding on what I want to do based on how dirty it is. This includes WO, CO, CWC, OWC. It seems to be going well so far and the WO only washes does seem to be stretching out my CO washes and really stretching out my CWC.

kidari
June 12th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I do several different washes a week. One CO wash, one WO wash, one regular shampoo and condition, and one deep conditioning treatment or heavy oiling every week. I try not to use shampoo more than two times every week. I still don't have the hang of stretching washes but my hair is straight and very oily. I do notice a huge change in my hair by doing a WO wash in between regular washes rather than doing regular shampooing all the time. It has changed my hair since my big chop and this change in routine.

Words
June 12th, 2012, 11:07 PM
PolarCathy! - A question: What do you think of this one? http://www.bodystore.com/3/sv/artiklar/aloe-vera-jelly

or this one: http://www.bodystore.com/3/sv/artiklar/aloe-vera-moisturizing-gel-98-240-ml (I saw this brand in US)

It says it's 99.4% pure :) It has some other stuff in it, but it seems absolutely impossible to get a totally 100% pure aloe vera around here ... never even tried to get it anywhere else though ;)

I have tried the one from Sasco. I can't put it on my face, because it itches. It is wonderful for my hair though.

PolarCathy
June 13th, 2012, 01:40 AM

I don't know those. I was excluding them in Round 1 simply because 1) 100ml is a very small amount (I use it for everything really) and 2) it's not pure. I wanted pure stuff. I send you a PM about something...

4C4rly4
June 13th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I actually tried this for a month last year. But instead of only water, I used baking soda, and then I used apple cider vinegar at the end. My hair turned out a bit oilier than usual (although I heard it's supposed to be like that for the first few weeks). But then I stopped doing the baking soda wash, so I don't know how it would have differed after those few weeks.

However, after reading this thread, I might start doing WO once a week and see how it goes.

Suguru
June 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Yes, I do this! I have ever since I started going for a run three times a week. I decided that I didn't want to have to wash my hair every time I exercised because it takes a very long time to dry and I tend to use boatloads of conditioner, but at the same time I didn't want the sweat to dry on my scalp and leave it feeling all stick and itchy.

I SC wash after one of my three workouts and after the other two I do a WO scalp wash. My "method" is to wrap my single english braid around one of my hands and hold it out of the way while I give my scalp a good rinse and scrub with the other hand. Admittedly, this method really doesn't properly get rid of sebum the way a SC wash would but it does help me feel fresher and it cuts down drying time significantly.

henné
June 13th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Some 40 hours after the WO and my hair is still fine. I'm like :bigeyes: I did NOT expect that. But also ... I'm hardly handling my hair throughout the day - I brush it once with my (not really sure if 100% pure) BBB, once with my wide-toothed wooden comb, french braided it and then later stuck it in a very messy bun and that's it. Yesterday night I tried scritching and that felt good. My bangs are starting to get a hint of greasiness (thanks to my forehead - gets greasy in summer), but I just bobby pinned it to the top of my head and that way it looks fine. The itchiness isn't any worse from yesterday ... barely there. I'm discussing whether to WO tonight or tomorrow. If I work out today, I'll WO tonight, if I remain lazy, I'll do it tomorrow ... or thereabouts.

Color me very very surprised that it's working so well (the WO that is)!

henné
June 14th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Nearly 3 full days after WO (I WO'ed on Monday evening), and my hair still feels decent. Actually, it feels thicker than usual. One thing that is 'strange' is the way my scalp feels. It doesn't feel as itchy as it did before and it feels as if my hairs were standing up a bit more (my scalp feels a little 'tighter', but in a good way). I wouldn't go out like this or to a wedding, but I'm totally comfortable going to the store and walking around in public. My hair actually looks better down than up because when it's up, it looks a little greasier.

I'm probably going to wash my hair today, but I could totally go until tomorrow ... we'll see ...

Color me shocked, ladies (and the few sparse gents), I would of never expect this from WO. :bigeyes::bounce:

louzen
August 10th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I've started to WO inbetween CO washings. My hair feels so soft, volumous and thicker. It also looks a lot brighter. Not to mention I'm saving on conditioner. The only downside is that it feels a little sticky, but nothing too troublesome. I'm going to keep this up :)

henné
August 10th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I now do 2 WO's between shampooings. So I go a little over a week between shampooing my hair. It feels great, I absolutely love that routine. My hair has gotten so much better in the past couple of months!

louzen
August 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Do you add anything to your water such as ACV, or lemon juice when you WO? I'm thinking of doing this since my water is hard

MonikaHa
August 10th, 2012, 07:34 AM
WO does not work for me, I tried dry shampoo and i can go extra two days between washings. Too bad, I really wanted WO. :(

sloth
August 10th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I WO every day that I'm not CWC (which I do every four days). I run 3x a week and weight train 3x a week, so I get gross and sweaty pretty much every day. NOT washing my hair is simply not an option.

My hair tends to look/feel just as clean when I WO than when I CWC, and the cleanness lasts until the next morning at least. Unfortunately I don't know if it lasts longer than that because then I go lift heavy things and mess it all up.

battles
August 10th, 2012, 09:36 PM
My hair does not like WO at all. It looks oily and stringy immediately after drying. :(

I'd love to switch to WO, but if it looks that bad after trying it once.. I don't think I can deal with it.

TheMechaGinger
August 10th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I sometimes do WO in between s&c but only if my hair got sweaty or a little dirty or something like that. If my hair is particularly greasy then I'll just shampoo it. When I do WO I just get my hair completely soaked in the shower and massage my scalp really really well while the water runs over it and that's about it. Sometimes a vinegar rinse to combat hard water
That usually only keeps it clean for another day (maybe two at the most) after the fact, but that's okay with me because I really hate the way my hair feels if I shampoo it and it's not dirty.

patienceneeded
August 11th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I am trying out doing WO during the week and then a (very) diluted shampoo once a week. I've recently been having issues with conditioner of any kind touching my scalp or neck - it's been causing painful sores (eek!). Straight WO got rid of all the sores, but the transitional oily-hair look was too much, so now I'm WO 2-3 times a week and a diluted shampoo once a week (usually Sunday). I used conditioner 2 days ago and the sores came back, so I guess I'm done with conditioner. I'll have to use oil on my ends if they feel dry.

My hair felt SUPER SOFT during the strict WO washing time I had. I actually really liked the feel of my hair, just not the oily look. I'm hoping the transition will be less noticeable if I use shampoo once a week on a very diluted basis.

I'm rambling...

henné
August 14th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I have to say I'm super happy about my WO-in-between-S&C routine (WOIBS&C) :D

My scalp feels absolutely great and my hair is showing some marked signs of improvement - it is so much shinier and softer.

When I'm WOing, however, my hair feels far from soft - I think it's the sebum. I guess if I left the sebum on and spread it towards my ends as well as possible, it would feel differently, but I don't give enough time to my hair/scalp to do this. I wash at the first signs of greasiness or itches that are not relieved with scritching. Sometimes I wish I had a little hut in the mountains and could just WO in the forest stream for a month just to see how it goes. I'd LOVE that. But living in a very populous city like i do, it's just not gonna happen. :(

But I do love my routine these days and I keep suggesting to my friends to try a WO in between shampoo washes. One of my friends said she'll do it, so I'm curious if it's going to work for her as well as it does for me. I also think WO is beyond perfect for folks that work out/run a lot.

KwaveT
August 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM
If I did not shed so much I would probably wet my hair every day. It helps to keep my curls clumped together.

kidari
August 14th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I'm so happy to find this thread! I've been experimenting with this and what has worked out the best for me thus far is shampoo once a week and every other day or everyday WO with cool water and put conditioner only on the ends. I also use a coney leave-in conditioner or oil or cream or serum afterwards. When I shampoo about once a week I will either do a heavy oiling prior to washing and only shampoo then use a leave-in OR if it's very oily and looks like it has build up or my scalp feels gross then I will clarify and then follow up with an SMT. I'm not on a strict schedule. I try my best to stretch it as long as possible but some days or some weeks it just needs to be rinsed more often. I've found that my straight hair has more volume and holds curls so much better. With the rinsing and condition method I need to do less things to it, I need less things for my hair, and it looks and behaves a lot better.

blondie9912
August 15th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I've tried WOing between shampoos, and it just makes my hair feel awful, I can't comb through it when wet if it doesn't have conditioner in it. Also, it looks unusually frizzy when it dries.

henné
August 16th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I've tried WOing between shampoos, and it just makes my hair feel awful, I can't comb through it when wet if it doesn't have conditioner in it. Also, it looks unusually frizzy when it dries.

You can use some conditioner when you WO, I sometimes do that.