PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito bites on scalp?

UpNorth
June 11th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I have never thought of this issue before I joined TLHC and learned about a healthy scalp, but today when I was out at my daily walk there were hundreds of mosquitos (summer is finally here;)) and off course I got a few bites on my scalp that itches and swell like crazy. I try not to scratch, and they feel better now, but can their bites cause shedding or something by itself? I mean I maybe got 10 bites on my scalp and some parts feels sore and swollen without me touching them.

BlazingHeart
June 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Unless you're allergic (which would be pretty obvious - very very swollen, possibly painful without being touched, etc), it's not likely to cause hair shedding unless you scratch hard and damage your scalp and roots that way.

~Blaze

dollyfish
June 11th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Just wanna say that EVERYONE is allergic, and that's why bites swell, but some are more allergic than others.

But yeah, you should be fine. The bite in-and-of itself won't cause any hair problems. Only indirect things, like damage from itching. I recommend spot-treating with a tiny bit of aloe. That usually helps me at least.

Wavelength
June 11th, 2012, 02:34 PM
My husband's a longhair, and he's quite allergic to mosquitoes (poor guy). He gets a lot of nasty swollen bites every summer which I treat with herb robert, (a.k.a. cranesbill, which fortunately grows wild around here). He gets bites on his scalp as well but so far it's never affected his hair growth.