PDA

View Full Version : Weekend discovery: Dunking your head in a bowl to cleanse! Anyone done this?

buttercupmcgee
June 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Over the weekend I was tasked with removing tons of dirt and hairspray from my hair.

Ordinarily I wash the traditional way--scrubbing at the scalp and letting the suds run through the length. This does an okay job of cleansing, but I find sometimes that sections of my hair beneath the canopy are still a bit limp and gunky--even if I try to get them with the shampoo. I have a lot of hair and it becomes heavy and extremely tangled when wet, so it can be hard to ensure even cleansing results.

I had this idea to fill a big bowl with a squirt of shampoo and water from the shower head--like a bubble bath for your head. I then bent over and immersed my entire head in, swishing my hair around with the hand that wasn't holding the bowl. I then stood up, rinsed, and conditioned as usual.

I swear to god my hair has never been cleaner or lighter in its life! It's 2 days later and it still feels airy and clean. I also feel like I used 1/5th of the shampoo that I usually do, trying to get every section equally clean. And, it took about 30 seconds as opposed to 5 minutes.

Has anyone else ever attempted this? I think this will be my preferred clarifying method from now on!! Yay!! :o:o

Amanah
June 11th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm happy that this worked so well for you.
I must confess that is sounds like a bit of a pain in the butt though.

lapushka
June 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Basically it's the same as shampooing your hair and letting the suds run down to cleanse the rest of it. :shrug: I don't see the point of dunking your head. But I'm glad you're happy with the method and got results from it. :flower:

lunalocks
June 11th, 2012, 09:28 AM
This was the way I washed my hair when I lived in India and had no hot water and could not bring myself to get under the shower head. I am going to try this now (with warm water). It is sure to save water as well!

PixxieStix
June 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I can see how that would make it easier to reach all the different areas close to your scalp, especially since the hair isn't wet and plastered to said scalp while you are trying to work shampoo into the roots underneath it. Thanks for the tip!

buttercupmcgee
June 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I'm happy that this worked so well for you.
I must confess that is sounds like a bit of a pain in the butt though.

Actually as I mentioned it took about 30 seconds as opposed to the rigorous chore of trying to get all the sections of my hair with shampoo via my fingers

buttercupmcgee
June 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Basically it's the same as shampooing your hair and letting the suds run down to cleanse the rest of it. :shrug: I don't see the point of dunking your head. But I'm glad you're happy with the method and got results from it. :flower:

Nope, Pixxiestix nailed it--"I can see how that would make it easier to reach all the different areas close to your scalp, especially since the hair isn't wet and plastered to said scalp while you are trying to work shampoo into the roots underneath it."

buttercupmcgee
June 11th, 2012, 09:40 AM
This was the way I washed my hair when I lived in India and had no hot water and could not bring myself to get under the shower head. I am going to try this now (with warm water). It is sure to save water as well!

Awesome! I think this might be a traditional washing method in India, actually-- do you know if that's the case?

shutterpillar
June 11th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I think that this method would really help if you are doing some sort of ACV rinse or are looking to wash your hair with VERY diluted shampoo (which I know a lot of the community around here prefers to do). Otherwise, I can see the shower just being easier. Awesome that you found something different that works for you, though!

One question... does your hair get very tangled from having it upside down in the water? Mine would be a mess!

~honeyflower~
June 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hmmm..... :run:

~honeyflower~
June 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
It works! Wow it is a lot softer and bouncy:D
thanks!

spidermom
June 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Cool; it's always good to find a method that works.
I find applying diluted shampoo to my entire scalp area with a squirt bottle effective and convenient.

~honeyflower~
June 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Hmmm have to give that a try next time

dollyfish
June 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
ooOOoooooh! :D

I keep a bowl in the shower for my ACV rinses. I'm sure I could do this instead of a normal shampoo! I get what you mean about the underside being gunky. I have super thick hair so I'm very prone to that.

Ocelan
June 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Me and my mom used to wash our hair like this when I was little. Or atleast rinse. I don't remember the reason, but it may be that we used rainwater or mixed cold water with the water from the wood-heated boiler. This is also how I wash my hair when I do it in a lake or so. Ive also sometimes washed my hair in the sink.

I believe it's the traditional way of washing everywhere since showers haven't been around for ages. I do see how it can be easier to get around the whole scalp to clean. I haven't done it in ages, maybe I should try again. :)

patienceneeded
June 11th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Interesting method. I would be concerned about my hair tangling up like crazy! I'm glad it worked for you though! I may try it sometime and see what happens.

UpNorth
June 11th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I did this when I washed out my Cassia and yes I know what you mean! Think I will do this in the future too, but I need to get a bigger bowl.

My hair is so heavy when wet, I never manage to get shampoo all over my scalp if it isnt SLS in it, I have tried many shampoos without SLS and I need so much to get the same effect as a tiny amount of SLS-shampoo. And no it doesnt rinse through my whole lengths either. With this method I can use diluted shampoo and my hair feels clean.

winship2
June 11th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Great reminder. I've washed my hair like this in the past when I've been travelling or camping and always enjoy it. I feel like my hair is shinier, maybe because it doesn't have to tolerate the beating of the water all down the length. Definitely going to give this a go and see how it works with longer hair.

Amanah
June 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Actually as I mentioned it took about 30 seconds as opposed to the rigorous chore of trying to get all the sections of my hair with shampoo via my fingers

I see what you mean, it is very time saving and much easier for you. If I was going to try that, I'd probably try it in the sink instead of while I'm taking my shower. :blossom:

jeanniet
June 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Bending my head over to do anything isn't a very good idea, and it's worse wet. Just too easy for my hair to tangle. But the diluted shampoo idea works very well. I just do what spidermom does--dilute the shampoo in a squirt bottle. This really helps to distribute it throughout my hair. I do this with conditioner, too, but I apply some full-strength to my length first and then squirt the diluted conditioner all over.