PDA

View Full Version : if ONE more person comments on how LITTLE hair I have...

jenni0416
June 10th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I am going to LOSE it if one more person has to comment on my thinning hair in that oh NOT so supportive way. :rant::rant::rant:

*SIGH*

I've had thin hair for the last two years or so...I think it was mostly the family related stress that contributed to the amount of thinning that became noticeable...because I've always had fine hair that wasn't ever considered thick, but it began to lessen and be noticed mostly by my boyfriend and his mother as well as my mother. NOW, everybody in my family as well as Indian family friends just HAVE to say something in a way that irks me. :lala:Sometimes it's mean, with the intent to make me feel bad or to make fun of me, sometimes it's just a very random observation. :mad:

I'm sure it has to do with me starting to use Rogaine which is causing me to shed a hell of a lot more than I did (which wasn't much). Also because I'm paying more attention to my hair so it's more public when my oiled hair looks so sparse or when I'm putting a parandi in my hair and have more parandi than hair -_-

I have little hair on my crown and temples, you can see my scalp often times. I know I'm predisposed to thinning because both my parents have thinned hair so it's in my genes. Otherwise I've begun using a daily multivitamin plus iron plus hair vitamins. Also, I'm a vegetarian but been eating a balanced diet to incorporate all the amino acids. I oil my hair about once a week and wash my air every two days. I've cut off a lot of the damaged split-ended hair recently. I don't place too much tension on my hair roots. I don't know what else to do to get my hair to thicken on my scalp!!

HELP ME.:pray:

Arya
June 11th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I am going to LOSE it if one more person has to comment on my thinning hair in that oh NOT so supportive way. :rant::rant::rant:

*SIGH*

I've had thin hair for the last two years or so...I think it was mostly the family related stress that contributed to the amount of thinning that became noticeable...because I've always had fine hair that wasn't ever considered thick, but it began to lessen and be noticed mostly by my boyfriend and his mother as well as my mother. NOW, everybody in my family as well as Indian family friends just HAVE to say something in a way that irks me. :lala:Sometimes it's mean, with the intent to make me feel bad or to make fun of me, sometimes it's just a very random observation. :mad:

I'm sure it has to do with me starting to use Rogaine which is causing me to shed a hell of a lot more than I did (which wasn't much). Also because I'm paying more attention to my hair so it's more public when my oiled hair looks so sparse or when I'm putting a parandi in my hair and have more parandi than hair -_-

I have little hair on my crown and temples, you can see my scalp often times. I know I'm predisposed to thinning because both my parents have thinned hair so it's in my genes. Otherwise I've begun using a daily multivitamin plus iron plus hair vitamins. Also, I'm a vegetarian but been eating a balanced diet to incorporate all the amino acids. I oil my hair about once a week and wash my air every two days. I've cut off a lot of the damaged split-ended hair recently. I don't place too much tension on my hair roots. I don't know what else to do to get my hair to thicken on my scalp!!

You could always try the monistat route.

Honestly though, stressing about your hair is probably causing you to stress more, which is probably causing you to lose more hair. My sister's hair thins when she's stressed, too. The solution for her is always to work on the stress, not the hair. If she focuses on being outside, doing yoga, playing with dogs or kids, making time for herself, cuts down on internet time, and tackles issues that are causing the stress, it helps her hair come in thicker.

There's not much you can do about your family...I suppose you could tell them it's something you're working on, and you're happy to hear their support, but to not tease you about it? But sometimes that can cause the opposite effect. Only you know your family.

In the meantime, have you thought about perhaps wearing a topper/wig/hairpiece while around your family? Just so they don't bother you? Celebrities all do it, and I have friends who have very subtle ones, that match quite well. It depends on your own feelings and perceptions though, some people aren't happy 'hiding' under a wig, while some feel fabulous and say 'yeah, it's all my hair!! I bought it, so it's all mine, isn't it?'.

Either way, lots of luck in your journey. There are lots of people here who struggle with thinning hair as well. :blossom:

xnibn
June 11th, 2012, 12:39 AM
just give it time, rogaine take about 6 month to work , keep doing what your are doing , keep your scalp clean , and inflammation free , and trust me it works , just don't give up

auburntressed
June 11th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Sadly, there is no way to help you out with people being dicks - because some people are just that way. Whether your hair is as thick as your wrist or as thin as a pin, people are going to make some kind of comment about SOMETHING. Especially if they have it in their heads to pick on you, they will find something to pick at.

As for the problem of your hair thinning - it sounds like you are taking some good steps already. Once the issue is solved, it still takes a few months for your growth to return to normal, I think.

Maybe you could see a doctor about it? They might have some kind of test or something that could help figure out a way to combat thinning.

IvanaGil
June 11th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I tried monistat for about a month and didn't really notice much except that I was shedding less (I barely shed at all as it is though). I'm sorry everyone has been so rude about it. My sister has very thin hair because she used to pluck it whenever she got bored or nervous, but I don't ever make her feel bad about it. Aside from monistat, I would give castor oil a try. My hair grew a lot after using it for about two months but I stopped because I was too lazy.
I know my mom used rogaine with great results. Anything with hair requires tons of patience, so hang in there! :)

letibear
June 11th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hello friend,
I'm sorry that people are being cruel and making rude remarks about your hair.

Have you had the chance to speak with a doctor? You said that you have been using a "daily multivitamin plus iron plus hair vitamins" is it possible that you may be taking a bit too much of supplements?

Less stress, plenty of sleep, a healthy diet and exercise, and plenty of water should help you while your hair recovers. But I am not a doctor, please see one when you can, there may be some other cause for your hair loss.

We are here for you! :hug:

onlyforhim
June 11th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I am sorryy *hugs*

People..I mean all of us unfortunately always have something to say about others so just ignore it and remember that your hair with enough care can become as thick as ever. For a while I had this small spot where i part my hair that looked pretty normal in reality but in pictures seemed like a bald spot. My man used to tease me about it so just joke with them about it specially family if they say anything tell them " thanks to your genes!!"

What is your hair routine?
and good luck

henné
June 11th, 2012, 02:27 AM
People can be such as*es ... I'm sorry you're going through this. :grouphug:

Elph
June 11th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Hi, couple of things - first talk to a doctor and get a full blood work up.

While what you are doing sounds fine, the fact that you are a vego (no offence) is ringing huge alarm bells to me.

I would suggest that your deficiant in something very necessary.

good luck

Ticky
June 11th, 2012, 04:45 AM
People can be... Yeah.

Maybe try explaining to them that it makes you feel bad when they do it. I know that it is frustrating, especially if people constantly comment on something you already feel bad about. I agree with others, you could also get some blood tests done just to be on the safe side.

Good luck :grouphug:

jacqueline101
June 11th, 2012, 07:13 AM
People can be rude.

krisbb
June 11th, 2012, 07:32 AM

*SIGH*

Briefly read through your post, have you had your thyroid checked recently? and I don't mean the typical test the more in-depth one. My daughter had thin and then thinner and thinner hair nearly all her life until two years ago she was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease. She started on a natural remedy regime to correct it and now has healthier hair than I've ever seen her have.

swearnsue
June 11th, 2012, 09:00 AM
My suggestion is to go to a doctor and make sure your thyroid and iron levels are good. Another suggestion is to see your family a little less and do more things for your own enjoyment. Yoga, walks, gardening, reading, something that would give you an excuse to get out of family things every once in a while to give yourself a break, especially from boyfriend's family.

Cleopatra18
June 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hey there, I'm sorry to hear about your problem it sounds like they're being very inconsiderate..
but anyhow I highly recommend neelibhringadi oil it's worth every penny. It reduces the amount of shed hair greatly almost instantly and helps with regrowth...
Another option is castor oil mixed with rosemary oil..It works great for thickness but it may take abit longer than the above..
These two have been working great for me and other members as well..
You can check the "castor oil for hair growth" thread and neelibhringadi hair oil thread for more info on both.
best of luck!

bahoban
June 18th, 2015, 10:37 PM
hi, I know this thread is old, but I want to know, how is your hair now??

have you ever considered Telogene Effluvium ???

this article would be helpful
https://telogeneffluvium01.wordpress.com/

rosance
June 18th, 2015, 11:06 PM
I used to take Saw Palmetto and noticed thicker hair but stopped cause I got lazy. I will definitely be getting back on that as soon as I stop breastfeeding. What Saw Palmetto does is prevent testosterone from converting to DHT, which is responsible for hair loss. That is why men tend to have more alopecia than women, because of the testosterone. There is proof of improved condition of male pattern baldness. Here (http://www.healthline.com/health/saw-palmetto-hair-loss#TreatmentOptions3)is a nice article.

rosance
June 18th, 2015, 11:08 PM
I know how you feel. I have gone through that too, but not as often as it sounds about you :( I am also planning on purchasing aloe vera gel to massage scalp. it is good for shedding.