PDA

View Full Version : BSL....sort of. Curly frustrations!

coastalnicole
June 10th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Perhaps some other curlies can share my frustration!

One of my favorite ways to de-stress is to condition-shampoo-condition my hair...this is the only time I get to experience it at its real length, too. Yesterday I noticed that my hair is almost certainly down to bsl when dripping wet...unfortunately, it's still shoulder length when it dries! I love my curls, but they eat up so much length!

At what point will gravity take over and provide me with a little length when my hair is dry? Does curly hair ever get really long?

PolarCathy
June 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM

One of my favorite ways to de-stress is to condition-shampoo-condition my hair...this is the only time I get to experience it at its real length, too. Yesterday I noticed that my hair is almost certainly down to bsl when dripping wet...unfortunately, it's still shoulder length when it dries! I love my curls, but they eat up so much length!

At what point will gravity take over and provide me with a little length when my hair is dry? Does curly hair ever get really long?

Hang in there! Check for instance dfotw's profile for inspiration. (She has the most perfect hair IMO. And curly :crush: :crush:)

longcurlygirl<3
June 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM

I feel your pain, and haha curly hair DOES grow bc you can check my albums just for some encourage! You may need a heavy conditioner try shea butter to weigh your hair down

tohavelongcurls
June 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
God, I feel your pain! I'm a curly too, and my hair is at BSL curly, but down to my wast in the shower. It feels so short to me! I can't wait till it's waist length curly, but I'm kind of afraid that will never happen, because I've never been able to grow it bast BSL curly.

jeanniet
June 10th, 2012, 03:29 PM
The difference in length with curls is why I only take pictures when my hair is pretty heavily oiled just before washing. Otherwise, there's too much variation in length and I can't tell how much growth there's been. My curls do seem to have relaxed somewhat at waist and beyond, but still, some days I look and it seems so long, and then the next day it doesn't seem to have grown at all!

PrincessIdril
June 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Urgh I know your pain. My hair hovers around BSL-MBL in it's natural state (though I managed to get it to curl enough to get to about APL a couple of days ago!). However it's actually closer to waist length!

Very annoying as most people don't believe me when I tell them how long my hair actually is. But hang in there, usually I find it's a pleasant supurise when I get my hair wet and see how long it really is!

jacqueline101
June 10th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hang in mine did that at one point then it made bra strap.

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
You can adjust to it, or you can do what I did--get "I have no patience" extensions. xD I honestly wear clip-ins whenever my hair is in its natural state these days. If you're still growing your hair out, it's not so much cheating as it is "Screw you shrinkage".

That said, I've stopped growing my hair at APL. We share a similar hairtype, and it took me about 3 years before it would rest past my shoulder blades curly. This is, of course, with product. I, however, rarely if ever wear my hair in its natural state anymore--I chose to stop growing at MBL (straightened) for the purposes of wearing it straightened.

Kittyxx
June 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
it's so annoying :(
plus it mean my hair feels like it's growing at a quarter of the speed of everyone elses

afu
June 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I have this problem too, especially because my curls always vary so I can never get a reliable measurement. My hair is just past bsl when dry but just a bit short of waist when wet

ByGrace90
June 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Yes! I'm not the only one Lol I have hair like Jennifer Freemen from the TV show My Wife and Kids. My hair when stretched it at BSL but when its curly and dried its at my shoulders! It is so annoying. I would embrace my curls more if they didn't take away the length I worked hard for. I am hoping to grow my hair to waist to see if it might weigh down my hair so it will decrease the shrinkage. Maybe it will work?

Lissandria
June 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I hear you! Brushed out/straightened/wet I am a few inches from BSL- curly I am just past shoulder.

CurlyCap
June 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
It's the curly girl blues, chica. You are not alone.

I'm between APL and BSL straight and just barely made it over shoulder dry. My friends and family (all straight haired) keep shaking their heads and saying, "It grows so slowly." Bah on them. It's fine!

When my hair was long, it would frequently curl to BSL even though it was MBL or longer. So yeah, you'll always look a lot shorter than it actually is. It's worse the curlier your hair is.

I say just enjoy your hair and eventually it will reach a length that satisfies other people's definition of "long hair". As far as I'm concerned I'll just wait, because all the insanity of straightening it and such to "show off the length" just isn't worth it.

It'll get there. :D

::hugs::