PDA

View Full Version : Flat ironing w. oil on hair

AuburnButterfly
June 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'm using argan oil to reduce frizziness and moisturize the ends of my hair. I find it easiest to apply the oil when my hair is still wet. Do you know if it's safe for the hair to flat iron my hair when there is a little bit of oil on it? Thanks for any help.

LadyHazel
June 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oils can act as an effective heat barrier until their boiling points, for example if your flat irons reach four hundred degrees it would boil the oil and your hair
I wouldn't flat iron my hair as I'd be too scared, plus flat irons can cause considerable damage ;(

alyaziaaah
June 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM
no, i wouldnt do that, i think oil is good for frying and you dont want to fry your hair. what i have read so far on the net and i research a lot, silicones are better for ironing. although now some serums have oils in it as well which makes me really confused. better stay on the safe side.

AuburnButterfly
June 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM
That makes sense. Thank you for your help!

lilalong
June 10th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Yes. Don't do that. Oil can heat up much, much, much more than water and you will be effectively frying your hair.

Quixotica
June 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I echo not using oil...use just a regular, silicone-derived heat protectant. I flat iron (about once a week) and I have VERY healthy BSL hair. :)

luxepiggy
June 10th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Why not use a 'coney serum that can minimize frizzies and provide some heat protection at the same time? (^(oo)^)v

Bene
June 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'd stick with the stuff designed for flat ironing. I love oils but, like everyone else says, it's gotta be like frying your hair. Literally frying your hair.

JaneinMarch
June 12th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Richeau on youtube uses crisco to flat iron her hair and it looks fine. Her post flat iron curls appear to be damage free.