PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar rinses help

IvanaGil
June 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hi all!
So I started doing ACV rinses about a month ago and my hair loves it :happydance:
After I ran out, I went to the store and couldn't find ACV so I hesitantly bought wine vinegar and, to my relief, it works just as well.
I also saw that the store had lemon vinegar, so my question is: is lemon vinegar safe to use? I feel like it would dry my hair out. Are all vinegars safe to use or just some?
Also, has anyone noticed color changes due to the acv?

spidermom
June 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Yup; ACV gives red tones in my hair. Or it used to. I haven't used it in a long-long time, preferring white vinegar (when I use vinegar, which is seldom).

louzen
June 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I really wanted to use ACV but I'm worried it will change the colour/tone of my fair hair, so I've been using white wine vinegar instead which seems to work fine. Although I'm aware it's not as good for your scalp as ACV is with the 'mother'. I've never tried lemon vinegar, but I have rinsed with lemon juice before and found that very drying.

swearnsue
June 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Doesn't white wine vingar have tons of salt? Or am I thinking of cooking wine???

Hollyfire3
June 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Doesn't white wine vingar have tons of salt? Or am I thinking of cooking wine???

Its cooking wine your thinking of.:)

louzen
June 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM

Yep, cooking wine :)

swearnsue
June 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM
LOL, Ok, thanks!

winship2
June 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Hi all!
So I started doing ACV rinses about a month ago and my hair loves it :happydance:
After I ran out, I went to the store and couldn't find ACV so I hesitantly bought wine vinegar and, to my relief, it works just as well.
I also saw that the store had lemon vinegar, so my question is: is lemon vinegar safe to use? I feel like it would dry my hair out. Are all vinegars safe to use or just some?
Also, has anyone noticed color changes due to the acv?

Others will know better, but I'm guessing that its effect on your hair has to do with its acidity, which should be noted somewhere on the label. Vinegar is in general about 5% acid. I'm not aware that there's much deviation from this-- next time I go in the kitchen I'll check! Then, of course, there's the question of how much you dilute it.

I use ACV with good results too. My hair is fairly dark brown with reddish tones and I haven't noticed any change from ACV.