PDA

View Full Version : Priorities: length or scalp?

woolyleprechaun
June 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ive noticed a bit of thinning around my hairline since wearing my hair up almost constantly. I try to vary my updos, and wear a loose braid or something to bed, but still I have this 'HAVE I GOT TRACTION ALOPECIA?!' feeling :rolleyes:
Im too scared to wear my hair down more, because its pretty fragile. But at the same time, I dont want a receeding hairline! *sobs*
So what would you guys do? Risk damage or risk receeding? Perhaps you've had experience of this yourself? It doesnt matter if you havent, all opinions more than welcome.:o

coneyisland
June 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Have you made your updos tightly drawn from that part of your scalp? If not, have your updo arrangements sagged and consequently pulled on that part of your scalp? Have you had pinching or pulling sensations there with your updos? If yes to any of these questions, give your scalp a break for a long while. There are comfortable other means of protective styling.

Do any women among your relatives have any pattern hair loss?

Madora
June 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Scalp, most definitely.

Traction alopecia is due to pulling back the front hairs tightlty, day after day. In time, those motions will cause the delicate frontal hairs to break and in worse case scenarios, you'll start finding small areas where the hair seems to be receding.

You can still wear your hair down...but for your hair's sake, you need to not pull it back tightly.

Perhaps a Gibson Tuck might help the situation..or trying a Chinese braided bun (or similar style) to keep it up.

I would definitely avoid anything like a ponytail.

Even a loosely done braid would help prevent damage. Just don't pull it tightly when you begin the braid.

Have you tried the lace twisted crown braid? It is a "looser" style of braid (2 strands only) that keeps the hair up and yet doesn't put a lot of stress on the strands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Delila
June 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
My hair's pretty fragile, and it seems that for me, physical damage is my number one problem. Pulling my hair back and putting it up, can be a problem, if I'm not gentle.

For me, I seem to be learning that gently forming an updo and securing it with a three tined, curved hair fork seems to minimize the kind of traction damage that can come from a too-tightly-secured updo.

Much as I love other hairtoys, with my thin/fine hair type, I seem to need to use more tension for those to work well.

Slug Yoga
June 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Just a thought: do you think that maybe part of the impression of receding hairline could be that you are noticing your hairline more, due to wearing your hair up and back instead of down? I know I went through a period where I was worried that those thinner spots at the temples that everyone has were too thin or getting thinner, but they weren't, I was just hyper-aware of them all of a sudden. Maybe it's not as bad as you think? All the same, if you do think it is getting thinner due to updos I'd definitely try to change things up in a way that hopefully put less stress on the scalp. Good luck, your hair is really beautiful! I admire it whenever I see your signature pic.

TiffanieJean
June 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM
The same thing happens to me. I have fine hair that is very slippery. I tried to wear my hair up at night for about 2 months at the beginning of the year to reduce tangles and damage. I lost a lot of hair at each temple because the bun would slip to one side or the other through the night. The opposite side would the have the hair slowly pulled out...

I wear my hair down as much as possible, but with a 2 year old it has to be up more than I would like. I figured out that if I twist my hair into a bun without a hair tie, and then use a couple sectioning clips (for hair styling) to hold it in place I don't have any problems. Even overnight. I use them to secure sock buns or just leave in the twisted bun to get curls too. Added bonus I guess.

Anyways, you are not alone with this! Don't freak out, just try to figure out how to keep your hair up as loose as possible and don't be afraid to wear it down. The only other thing I could recommend is using Castor Oil in hair masks. I started using it about 4 months ago, and my hair is a lot stronger now (at the follicle and through the length). Might be worth a try.

RitaCeleste
June 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
My daughter has fine hair but hers is down more than up. It cost her a little length at her last trim. We had started to add some protein treatments then I went on a neglect binge. I wasn't having her deep condition and do protein treatments for awhile either. Her tangles got out of control and I tried to put a deep conditioner on it and work the tangles out and her hair went stretchy with the conditioner on it. It was a disaster. I went and bought a protein treatment for her hair and detanglers the next day. She can wear her hair down and grow it if she strengthens it and keeps tangles at bay. I also cut her some very thin bangs. She'd been trying grow bangs out but it wasn't working for her. Depending on what is receding maybe having some bangs that aren't getting pulled would be an option? The biggest drawback to my daughters fine hair being down is the fact that it tangles so easily and can break upon her brushing it out. I tried getting her a brush with padded bottom that pops out if she brushes really hard but she insists on not using that one. Grrrr.

hyettf16
June 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Definitely risk damage. I would rather have short hair due to trimming off damage than receding. Maybe every few days wear it down while you sleep or sometimes I do just a braid without securing the end for sleep so it is still free while reducing damage.

Amber_Maiden
June 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'd wear it down. Just be careful when sitting.
I wear my hair down, and as long as I'm aware of what is around me, my hair is fine!

woolyleprechaun
June 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice! I will definately try the braid, Madora, it sounds just right :) I do think I might just be being hyper-aware of the hairline (who knew what hairy demons growing would throw up ;))
Just a thought: do you think that maybe part of the impression of receding hairline could be that you are noticing your hairline more, due to wearing your hair up and back instead of down? I know I went through a period where I was worried that those thinner spots at the temples that everyone has were too thin or getting thinner, but they weren't, I was just hyper-aware of them all of a sudden. Maybe it's not as bad as you think? All the same, if you do think it is getting thinner due to updos I'd definitely try to change things up in a way that hopefully put less stress on the scalp. Good luck, your hair is really beautiful! I admire it whenever I see your signature pic.
And a big thankyou for the compliment :o I dont think Ive ever had one before...Made my day! :D

HintOfMint
June 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Your hair is lovely and I would suggest much looser styles that don't put stress on your hairline, such as braids.

I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it down. We have similar hairtypes and they can withstand some wearing down if you're careful. I wear mine down almost always, and it is fine. Maybe not so much after a night of dancing, but it's fine after a day in class, for instance.

luxepiggy
June 10th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'd definitely be more concerned about the scalp. Better to have damage at the ends than the roots, KWIM?

CurlyCap
June 10th, 2012, 11:51 PM
When my hair was long, it pretty much had to be sitting on top of my head to prevent significant pulling. That, or I'd have to distribute the weight onto my hair toys that would then be evenly spread around my scalp.

I'd play around with more gibson-like styles, top buns, and crown braids to see if that helps. If not, then I say where it down and risk the length. You can always figure out how to protect the length when down, but its a lot harder to coax unhappy follicles into regrowth.

door72067
June 11th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I'd opt for scalp health

a heathy scalp is the key to nice hair

jacqueline101
June 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Got to take care of the scalp then your hair will improve.