PDA

View Full Version : New Pillar Box Red Hair, pic heavy!

pink.sara
June 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
So I know there are lots of folks on here that won't appreciate this as obviously there was a metric ton of bleach involved but....

I love it! And I haven't killed it so the growing can continue. :)

For those of you who are interested, I got here from black and purple over the course of 3 weeks during which I used colour B4 3 times to remove as much of the oxidative black dye as possible, vitamin c soaks to remove the Purple and 2 separate bleachings, one which was a soapcap with 6% and one straight 6% to get this final colour. I bleached a week apart, preoiled with coconut oil both times and conditioned like never before inbetween, but this amount of processing is Very harsh so I would recommend a month between at least for anyone wishing to try something similar.

So without further ado here's the pictures.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/Redhair.jpg

And in Natural light.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/rednaturallight.jpg

Three colours Red in a plait.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/RedplaitJune4th.jpg

And finally what I'll be using from now on ;)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/joico.jpg

Hope you like it! And thanks for looking :)

catamonica
June 10th, 2012, 10:50 AM
pink,sara Your hair looks beautiful. But how did you get all the information step by step to treat your hair?

Zesty
June 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
It looks awesome. It's fun to live vicariously through your crazy hair color changes. :)

Ticky
June 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Looks great :redgrin:

DaniVerde
June 10th, 2012, 11:11 AM
It's beautiful, pink.sara!!

pink.sara
June 10th, 2012, 11:14 AM
pink,sara Your hair looks beautiful. But how did you get all the information step by step to treat your hair?

I've been dying my hair for over 17 years now, and we aren't just talking semi permanents, I mean henna, herbs, professional colours and white to black and everything in the spectrum inbetween.

Plus my mother re-trained as a hairdresser and colourist about a decade ago and I nicked all of her training materials and read them so I have a fair amount of chemical and structural knowledge.

It's an accumulation of things really.

battle_angel
June 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Sara, this color looks phenomenal against your skin tone! I think you can pull off with your hair what others only can dream of :)

Your hair seems healthy and shiny, enjoy your new color!
- Laetitia

afu
June 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
wow i love it, I really like how despite bleaching you've still been left with a multi-tonal effect - looks fab in the braid

julierockhead
June 10th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Your color is amazing, I agree it suits you very well, and the color variation is beautiful. It's interesting that you can put your hair through quite a bit, but with timing and preventative care, it survives very well. It looks healthy and shiny. If or when I want to adjust my henna red I know who to consult!

spidermom
June 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ooooooh; pretty! Makes me want to run right out and try that color (but without bleaching).

I love the KPak and am long overdue for a treatment.

patienceneeded
June 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Wow!!!! That looks spectacular!

pepperminttea
June 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
That colour is just amazing! :thud: It looks especially epic in a braid!

Can I ask, are you planning to maintain it, or do you change up the colour when your roots come through, or...? (One of my friends does that and has a different hair colour every three weeks, I'm in envy of her energy!)

lapushka
June 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Very nice! Love the red, and look how shiny your hair is.

woolyleprechaun
June 10th, 2012, 11:43 AM
It looks beautiful on you! I must admit Im a tad jealous....My hair snaps off in protest when I walk down the hair dye aisle ;)

pink.sara
June 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks very much everyone,it's great to get some positive feedback :)

The multi-tonal effect is from deliberately leaving streaks out of the bleaching until 10 minutes in then adding them gradually so they lightened less than the rest.

Plus I've used Crazy Colour in Cyclamen and Fire so there are 2 shades of red and pink through it.

And only K-Pak could keep this hair going after all that Spidermom, I actually have you to thank for recommending it a few years ago, it's a staple now :)

Unofficial_Rose
June 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Wow - looks beautiful and really suits you.

pink.sara
June 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM
That colour is just amazing! :thud: It looks especially epic in a braid!

Can I ask, are you planning to maintain it, or do you change up the colour when your roots come through, or...? (One of my friends does that and has a different hair colour every three weeks, I'm in envy of her energy!)

Thank you :D

When the roots come through I'll bleach those only so I can get away with less damage then use veggie dyes.

I was planning on letting the red fade by itself for a month... or however long it takes to get to a paler pinky shade then using Crazy Colour Violet and Hot Purple to go purple all over. Then probably pink or red again when that fades. :)

Tisiloves
June 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Beautiful colour! I'm so glad to see someone doing dramatic colour change well (I spend too much time on YouTube watching girls who try to onestep from dark brown to blonde, then complain that it goes wrong) :flowers:

Vanilla
June 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
The color looks amazing on you! I love the variations in the color that you were able to achieve.

jillosity
June 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
oooh I love the iridescence in your braid!I had to google "soap cap bleaching" so I learned a new technique ;)

Lissandria
June 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I love it!!! Looks amazing :D and your hair looks to be in such good condition.

insomniac-uk
June 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Wow i love it :) It looks so healthy! I'm bleaching my hair this week too, hopefully mine wont get too damaged.

BrightEyes
June 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I love that color, it looks beautiful on you:)

coastalnicole
June 10th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Looks gorgeous! It's really interesting to read how you managed to get there with your hair still looking so lovely...it just goes to show that there just aren't any shortcuts when it comes to dying your hair the right way.

BlazingHeart
June 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
The dark/black undertones in the red looks so awesome!

RitaCeleste
June 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I love the colors! Its so good to see how long you hair is getting too. I'm always a huge fan of red, but I think you can rock purple too!

bettylibertine
June 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Love it! Makes me want to dye my hair.. :p

Tia2010
June 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I Love it! I agree, it suits you.

I would love to have my hair this color...but alas, I'm too chicken :p But I told dh if I ever decide to go back to a pixie..I'm getting bright pink hair before I cut it all off :D

einna
June 10th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Very cool, I like it!

Unicorn
June 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Absolutely stunning!

Unicorn

long&blonde
June 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
The color is beautiful on you, and your hair looks healthy!

jacqueline101
June 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Looks great.

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM
OHMYGOD YOU'RE STILL HERE! :D I loved your pics, then you disappeared (well...so did I, but whatever). The red looks awesome!

carolinaberry
June 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM
So I know there are lots of folks on here that won't appreciate this as obviously there was a metric ton of bleach involved but....

I love it! And I haven't killed it so the growing can continue. :)

For those of you who are interested, I got here from black and purple over the course of 3 weeks during which I used colour B4 3 times to remove as much of the oxidative black dye as possible, vitamin c soaks to remove the Purple and 2 separate bleachings, one which was a soapcap with 6% and one straight 6% to get this final colour. I bleached a week apart, preoiled with coconut oil both times and conditioned like never before inbetween, but this amount of processing is Very harsh so I would recommend a month between at least for anyone wishing to try something similar.

So without further ado here's the pictures.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/Redhair.jpg

And in Natural light.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/rednaturallight.jpg

Three colours Red in a plait.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/RedplaitJune4th.jpg

And finally what I'll be using from now on ;)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/SaraNadineBrown/joico.jpg

Hope you like it! And thanks for looking :)
That's the color I used to use! It looks STUNNING on you! And who knows what's to come, but your hair looks soft and shiny right now!

door72067
June 10th, 2012, 06:45 PM
fabulous!!

I have color envy now!!

MiamiPineapple
June 10th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Love love love the color!

PixxieStix
June 10th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Oh what fun! I've always wished I had the courage to try some funky colors, seeing your photos makes me dream of it so much again. Just lovely!

xoerincolleen
June 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
It looks so great! I would never be able to pull off a color like that. Gorgeous!!!

HumanBean
June 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I think it's a great color on you!

moralita
June 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
This red is so vibrant and beautiful, and your hair looks so healthy!

Amethyste
June 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Wow, this is AMAZING!!
Truly gorgeous and so Easley looking! I am in awe!

GrowingGlory
June 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Looks fabulous! You have such beautiful natural coloring that I can't help but wonder what it looks like when it is virgin.

lundmir
June 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM
You look fabulous! That color is amazing and really suits you. Your hair looks beautiful, I love it.

pink.sara
June 11th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Thank you so much everyone, it's lovely to wake up to a page of nice feedback :flower:

Looks fabulous! You have such beautiful natural coloring that I can't help but wonder what it looks like when it is virgin.

Thank you so much :)
My virgin hair is Really dark auburn and poker straight, but unfortunately it lightens to ginger very easily as it's so fine which doesn't look so great against what looks like black hair from any distance.
Plus my skin looks much redder against it, I can't wait until it all goes grey actually as I seem to be growing in spots of bright silver which is lovely, so hopefully I can be a renegray with crazy ends in a decade or so.

OHMYGOD YOU'RE STILL HERE! :D I loved your pics, then you disappeared (well...so did I, but whatever). The red looks awesome!

You did disappear didn't you! Thank you for the comment :)

I'm mostly found lurking in the growing threads, was in Shoulder to APL for a year and now APL-BSL since September. I only really post on anniversary threads other than that.

Just lurking around.... quietly growing :)

Oksana
June 11th, 2012, 03:55 AM
AMAZING!! The colour looks brilliant :D

Lucky
June 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I love the color, it really brings out your green eyes!

Loviatar
June 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Pink.sara that looks fabulous. Where do you get your k-pak? I have never found it in London.

Your hair is how I wanted my Majicontrast to look... but it never quite did!

And I love your little pug :)

insomniac-uk
June 11th, 2012, 06:53 PM
@Loviatar you can buy some k-pak products from Amazon UK

based goddess
June 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM
It's freaking BEAUTIFUL. I seriously can't wait to go bright cherry red! It just pops on light skintones.

pink.sara
June 12th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Pink.sara that looks fabulous. Where do you get your k-pak? I have never found it in London.

Your hair is how I wanted my Majicontrast to look... but it never quite did!

And I love your little pug :)

I bought a litre on Amazon for £40, it's a godsend.

And I did try majicontrast but it won't lift enough for this pale a red, the base needs to be pale orange :)

And that's our rescue girl Frankie, she's happiest on a lap being loved!

Thanks again for all the positive feedback folks, it really is appreciated :)

Arya
June 12th, 2012, 01:15 AM
HOW is your hair so shiny?!?! I would do terrible things to achieve such shine! Argh, I want superreflective hairrr!

pink.sara
June 12th, 2012, 01:24 AM
HOW is your hair so shiny?!?! I would do terrible things to achieve such shine! Argh, I want superreflective hairrr!

Ha ha, I actually think it looks a bit dull and frizzy there, mainly from thinning with a razor recently and the dryness from the bleach.

I haven't used silicone serum in a few years so am loathe to use that but have been spraying on a mix of Moroccan oil, argan oil and sweet almond so that helps with shine lots.

Plus I'm a baby oil convert, and use about a teaspoon of it post wash when I run out of the more expensive stuff ;)

kielrain
June 12th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I have to say I just love that colour! It is really amazing.

joflakes
June 12th, 2012, 04:44 AM
:crush::thudpile::heartbeat

That is AMAZING. If you ever get bored of this and have the urge to cut it off, please send it to me! You have the hair I want when/if it gets that long. So jealous! It's lovely!

MintChocChip
June 12th, 2012, 05:04 AM
That looks amazing! That colour really suits you, so pretty!

Amanah
June 12th, 2012, 05:40 AM
georgeous, thanks for sharing the picture :)

RapunzelKat
June 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Wow, that is awesome! :thudpile: And your hair looks super healthy and shiny! Makes me wish I could get away with colors that bright at work, I would love to try fun bright reds and purples :D :D

CurlyCurves
July 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Whoa! The shininess and apparent health of your hair caught my eye. That, and the stunning colour :D

jojo
July 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I love it, you must suit ever colour under the rainbow lucky you

Kerrilynn
July 2nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
The color is absolutely stunning! Mine is currently my virgin color, which is a dark blondish-brown with hints of strawberry blond? Haha. I have chunks of pink at my crown so it's sort of peeks through the rest of my hair. It looks pretty awesome when it's braided. When I had really short hair, I used Manic Panic's Hot Hot Pink over medium auburn that was faded out and it came out this really awesome dark dark raspberry pink. I loved it. I kind of want to go back to that with the lighter hot pink streaks that I already have and add in some more around my face.

MrsGuther
July 2nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Wow! That is a gorgeous color on you! I used to have my hair a similar red, and I loved it!

Lostsoule77
July 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
That is stunning! I love how healthy your hair still looks too!

Mommyof4
July 2nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Gorgeous! I wish my hair would look like that in pink!

coneyisland
July 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Beautiful! What a gorgeous color, and your hair is so shiny and thick! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

AnqeIicDemise
July 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I think I've decided that I'm going to kidnap you and we'll live together and we'll help each other with funky colored long hair goals. -nod-

<3

aspartame gram
July 8th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Absolutely stunning! That color is so much fun! When it does fade, it seems like it will fade to a nice light pink or rose color, which will still look amazing with your complexion.

Your hair is amazingly thick and shiny, too! Most excellent! Congrats! :D

guns1969
July 9th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Wow your hair looks stunning! Always wanted that colour myself but been too scared to go for it.

pink.sara
July 9th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone :)

I think I've decided that I'm going to kidnap you and we'll live together and we'll help each other with funky colored long hair goals. -nod-

<3

I am amenable to this suggestion.
In both that I need a new housemate as my SO and I are going our separate ways, and that my hairs getting longer and I cant do the back so well!!

:laugh:

Absolutely stunning! That color is so much fun! When it does fade, it seems like it will fade to a nice light pink or rose color, which will still look amazing with your complexion.

Your hair is amazingly thick and shiny, too! Most excellent! Congrats! :D

It's faded to a dark pinky rose colour, you are exactly right!

And the streak at the front which was lighter to begin with is now super bright flamingo pink. It's actually very pretty still.