PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Shampoo made hair gross

Darkhorse1
June 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Ugh---I got a VO5 shampoo---refreshing and shine---water lily and Vitaimin E--I was looking for a shampoo to add moisture to my scalp as I've been using dandruff shampoo probably too much.

The results for my scalp were fine. My hair? OMG!! It's like sand was in it!! That feeling after you swim and don't wash your hair kind of grit. The length is dry enough, even though I never wash my length, and this made it feel dreadful.

I waited until it dried and found a patch in the back was gummy--this is common for me when my hair rejects a shampoo.

My first thought was to let it be, but the grit was just driving me crazy. So, I soaked it and used the smallest dab of herbal essence degunkify clarifying shampoo (milder than pantene), and then slathered John Freida's frizz ease conditioner (it's high in cones which my hair loves). I then rinsed in cool water for a long time.

hair feels MUCH better, but now I'm trying to figure out what else to do. My sense is to oil it (length) before my next wash, but would require me to use a clarifying shampoo again, which is drying. I'm looking into balancing shampoos and am thinking I'll just leave my hair until after I ride on Tuesday, and let it get good and oily naturally.

Any other suggestions? My hair hates proteins, coconut oil and keratin. Olive oil is what I use when oiling, but since my hair is naturally oily, I'm leaning towards letting my body naturally correct this--scalp is good--it's the hair length that's the issue now.

battles
June 9th, 2012, 11:11 PM
An SMT usually fixes my dry hair woes. Perhaps that would help?

And on the bright side, it was only cheap VO5 so you didn't waste a ton of money on shampoo that didn't work. :)

Darkhorse1
June 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM
SMT never worked for me :(
I hear you--and I thought it would help moisturize. I'm hoping to find a Redken balancing shampoo tomorrow or the next day. I may oil tomorrow during the day, just the length, and clarify, but I'll see how it is. the Frizz ease is wonderful for my length. Also good since we are supposed to have temps well over 100F with humidex. Ugh.

HintOfMint
June 10th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Oh dear, V05 on the length has only been disaster for me--not so much gunk but horrific tangles and dryness. I once skipped the first C in CWC and boy did I regret it. I have no problems with the shampoo if my length is protected with conditioner, but otherwise... sheesh.

I'm not sure if clarifying would be necessary, I would just follow up with your normal wash routine and maybe a shot of honey to your conditioner. Eventually the gunk comes off with washings and your hair should settle down by then. After my disaster, all it took was some normal CWC washings and my routine of light oiling and damp bunning to return it to normal.

BlazingHeart
June 10th, 2012, 01:48 AM
What about just straight aloe instead of oil? I don't think you'd need to clarify to get that out, and it should help with moisture.

jacqueline101
June 10th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I'd clarify it see what happens.

door72067
June 10th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I've never been able to use VO5, Suave, White Rain, etc

always made a HUGE dry mess of my hair

if you don't dislike 'cones, Pantene is affordable and quite nice and since you are also using a dandruff shampoo, you'll be technically clarifying every few washes so build-up shouldn't be an issue for you

good luck making your hair happy again

dollyfish
June 10th, 2012, 08:37 AM
And on the bright side, it was only cheap VO5 so you didn't waste a ton of money on shampoo that didn't work. :)

This is why I originally tried out VO5; I can buy it at the dollar store! Lucky for me it's the only shampoo (besides certain shampoo bars) that doesn't dry my hair like mad, though I still only use the teensiest bit if I do use it.

Most people I know (even non-LHCers) absolutely hate VO5 though, and report similar problems. It's really hit and miss I think.

afu
June 10th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I would oil anyway - even without re-clarifying it should still give some benefit. It will also make your hair feel better on the surface which may help to stop you faffing about with it trying to fix it but making it worse! What I would do it stick a load of oil on and then CO it out when you wash

spidermom
June 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Conditioner to your length should remove oil from your length. I pre-oil, then CWC with diluted shampoo, and the oil always comes out.

heidi w.
June 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
You may end up having to clarify, but first try simply washing the hair again -- with another shampoo. Generally long hair officionados do not recommend two-in-one-products, and VO5 has long been on my watch list because I know the product can cause a lot of hair woes. Shampoo the hair and THEN moisture to the hair with a conditioner. That's generally all anyone needs to do. Maybe a leave-in. And then oiling...that's it. Chances are that simply re-washing the hair will be sufficient to rectify the current issue. I've long said that if you have to choose what to spend your money on, shampoo or conditioner, I'd choose conditioner every time.

It'll be alright. Don't fret.
heidi w.

patienceneeded
June 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I have problems with VO5 (and Suave, and White Rain) also. They never really do anything to my hair, but they don't do anything good either. It just always seems kind of blah after using those products. A little "gunky" feeling but it goes away after my next wash (CWC) as long as I don't use the problem brand again. Try just washing and conditioning as you normally do, see if that helps. If not, then clarify.

mendy
June 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I sound like a broken record or a spokesperson for the glycerin industry...But have you tried glycerin? I just put it directly on wet hair like a gel. You could also mix it with water in a spray bottle...Really helps with my dryness.

catamonica
June 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I put two capfuls of olive oil in my shampoo. And five capfuls of aloe Vera gel in the conditioner.
That way you get soft hair, and your hair shouldnt be oily. The aloe makes it extra soft. Hope this helps.

Darkhorse1
June 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks SO much gang! We've never had V05 in my area, so I figured why not? Ugh--won't be doing THAT again.

I plan to get some balancing shampoo tomorrow (Redken) or a higher end shampoo and I'm going to leave my hair until after I ride Tuesday morning to wash.

I have naturally oily hair and very often, anything like glycerin, conditioner, honey--makes it very goopy and kicks in the dandruff. My tried, tested and true routine is shampoo and condition every other day. I love cones so that's no issue, but I was finding the dandruff shampoo is drying out my length. So, I spoke to my hair dresser Friday after a trim, and she said I don't have dandruff, it's dry scalp. She suggested getting tea tree oil and put it in a mild shampoo (to extend my color--mild shampoo) but I don't have a place where I can buy that easily.

I did a search on shampoos and found that if your scalp isn't having issues (oily or dandruff r dry) to use a balancing shampoo, so I'm going to go in search of that perfect product tomorrow! :)

Thanks again--I did do a light clarify last night--it was just so gross and disgusting, followed by a heavy conditioning and it's not too bad. Tuesday, I plan to oil the length and wash/clarify--it will have been 3 days by Tuesday I won't have washed, so I should have sufficient scalp oil :D

LadyHazel
June 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I do not recommend clarifying again because dry lengths do not require to be stripped any further and from my experience shampoo really flares up my scalp when it is a clarifying brand so since your scalp is happy it would be advisable to steer clear of irritants such as those found in clarifying shampoos ,
CO-wash, I know it sounds crazy but use your John Friedan conditioner and achieve an even layer on your hair from root to tip, leave it in for 15 minutes and then rinse out whilst massaging your scalp almost as if you were shampooing but without the shampoo, there is a whole thread about this and whenever my hair feels like how you have described I always use conditioner only wash method (that's no poo) and it has never ever let me down