PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is my first self-trim. Help!

~honeyflower~
June 9th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone!

Tomorrow is my first self-trim and I'm a little nervous but thrilled how its going to turn out. Since I graduated from high school last week my mom has been making me be more independant for college. I want to give myself a trim so when I go off to college I'll be a pro at it. Ok, now my hair it's styled like Rapunzel's on Tangled (thats the only I could describe it, I even have the same cowlick on the same side only my hair is brown) so my question is when I use Feye's self trimming instructions do I part it in the middle like the instructions say or part it on the side? I want to cut it U- shaped. I appreciate your help!

Thanks everyone!

Here's the page http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

akilina
June 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I would part down the middle for even-ness then check it where you actually part it to see what else needs to be done. This is what I do when performing a hair cut on a client. It has never failed me. If you are nervous always remember you can cut small amounts at a time if that makes you feel more comfortable. Also I know and I am sorry that this is just pointing out the obvious but you will have to cut more length off in the front sides of your hair to get the U shape. The sight of this sometimes makes people even more nervous because they see even more length being cut off in the front section of the hair...if that makes sense.
Good luck I hope it goes as well as it can! :]

~honeyflower~
June 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Thank you so much! I'm glad that I asked first before I started trimming away, looks good:D

RitaCeleste
June 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I leave the top parted to the side like I wear it in front, and part the back down the middle now. My sides have been growing out from a cut so they aren't even long enough to get much of a trim as they were layered and taper seriously. When I first started it was easier to part it all down the middle so I made sure the u-shape in back was an even U-shape. Holding your head straight makes the U pretty deep, you might want to start off tipping your head back to create a more shallow u shape and keep the sides a little longer. Try the method for the shallower u first and don't take off too much length, you can always hold your head straighter, brush and trim a little more to make the U-deeper but you can't put the sides back on once they are gone.