PDA

View Full Version : What is your shampoo:conditioner ratio?

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 08:43 PM
For those of you that use shampoo and conditioner, how many/much of each do you use?
I'm currently in love with Aveeno's sulfate-free line, but for every shampoo bottle that I use, I go through 3 bottles of conditioner (why can't they make their bottles bigger? :mad:).
I only shampoo my scalp and then saturate my length with conditioner hence the 3 bottles.

ravenreed
June 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I only use shampoo every couple months but I go through a bottle of Suave conditioner every week. I haven't bought shampoo in months.

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I only use shampoo every couple months but I go through a bottle of Suave conditioner every week. I haven't bought shampoo in months.

Are you CO? I tried that for about a week and my hair was not happy :eek:

ravenreed
June 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I CO. It took a bit to get it to work for me, but my hair loves it.

Tia2010
June 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM
For every 1 bottle of shampoo I use, I go through 3-4 bottles/jars of conditioner (depending on the brand and size) :D

ETA: I switch between shampoo & conditioner washes and CO washes.

dollyfish
June 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
It's hard to tell for me because the DBF and I use the same shampoo and conditioner (VO5) but if I had to guess I think my ratio is 1:3 as well when I use either.

Lately I've been using a shampoo bar (washing upside down and only suds-ing my scalp a little bit) and (a lot of) ACV instead of the VO5.

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM
For every 1 bottle of shampoo I use, I go through 3-4 bottles/jars of conditioner (depending on the brand and size) :D

ETA: I switch between shampoo & conditioner washes and CO washes.

I'm usually switching around too but I fell in love with Avenoo's conditioner

It's hard to tell for me because the DBF and I use the same shampoo and conditioner (VO5) but if I had to guess I think my ratio is 1:3 as well when I use either.

Lately I've been using a shampoo bar (washing upside down and only suds-ing my scalp a little bit) and (a lot of) ACV instead of the VO5.

Acv is my new best friend! :)

Tisiloves
June 9th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Currently (because I haven't got much hair) it's about 1-2/2-5, from what I can remember of waist length though that was more like 1-4.

darklyndsea
June 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I CWC, so my ratio's different depending on which conditioner I'm talking about. I went through one bottle of shampoo in a semester. One of my conditioners comes in big bottles and seems to spread better through my hair, so I don't have to buy it as often. At least 3X a semester, but it might be a lot higher than that as I haven't kept track. My other conditioner I go through at a rate of one every couple of weeks...good thing I only wash my hair about twice a week, or I'd spend so much on it that it wouldn't be worth it no matter how good the results are.

So...1:3+ and 1:8ish? are my ratios, I think.

Jing
June 10th, 2012, 04:51 AM
1:1 at the moment, actually. Conditioner doubles my shedding, so I only use it from my nape and down, and I haven't started CWCing yet.

jacqueline101
June 10th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I try to use equal parts I use mane n tail still haven't switched yet.

pepperminttea
June 10th, 2012, 06:28 AM
About 1:8? Something like that. At the moment I'm mostly CWC with the odd CO wash thrown in when I have time. :)

Annibelle
June 10th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Wow, I feel like a freak... :p I'd say mine is probably 1:20? I CO, and though I shampoo once per month, I use only a pea-sized amount of shampoo each time.

Alva
June 10th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I wash every other day, with about a teaspoon of shampoo only on scalp area. For the conditioner i'd say I use about 1 tablespoon. So 3 times as much at least, conditioner only on the length though. I guess I can use a bottle of shampoo around 3 to 4 months, conditioner something like 2 months

XcaliburGirl
June 10th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I think I am at about 1:1 right now. My hair is barely should length, though. My scalp is finicky so I have to make sure I get enough shampoo on it. Also I use a small amount of conditioner on the top of my head. I have a feeling once my hair gets longer, the difference in amounts will increase since I will use about the same amount of shampoo I use now, but more conditioner for more length.

IvanaGil
June 10th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Wow, I feel like a freak... :p I'd say mine is probably 1:20? I CO, and though I shampoo once per month, I use only a pea-sized amount of shampoo each time.

Oh, wow! Lol i tried going CO but my hair was a grease pit. Is there something I'm missing? I only tried for a week, so maybe I should give it another go :shrug:

door72067
June 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM
give or take 2:1 (2 x condish to 1 x poo)

I CWC most of the time and just use the same conditioner (I know others use a "cheaper" one for the first C)

but a lot of the time my second C is a *deep* condish (that I rinse out the same as regular condish) so it sort of balances the ratio a bit better

Annibelle
June 10th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Oh, wow! Lol i tried going CO but my hair was a grease pit. Is there something I'm missing? I only tried for a week, so maybe I should give it another go :shrug:

A lot of people have a transition period like that. I'm the only person I've read about who DIDN'T have a transition period whatsoever. You might join the CO washing thread to read other people's experiences. :) I think you might have to stick with it a bit longer to see if it's right for you. :flower:

Phalaenopsis
June 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Hmm, the ratio depends a lot on the kind of shampoo and conditioner.
But on average I would say 1: 3. :) I always use less shampoo than conditioner.

Madora
June 10th, 2012, 08:02 AM
One tablespoon of GM Pink Shampoo diluted in 10 oz of warm water.

A little less than a tablespoon of Tresemme Naturals diluted in 10 oz warm water.

torrilin
June 10th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Nah, I've gone through a 1qt Everyday Shea (so 4ish normal sized), 2-3 Nature's Gate henna, and 5? 6? of the Alba Botanica leave in, and I'm still on the same bottle of shampoo. I fully expect I'll finish at least 2 more of the Alba before the bottle of shampoo is done.

1 bottle of regular shampoo lasts me about a year at this point. And that's *with* using it as bodywash sometimes!

KwaveT
June 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I wash more hair with conditioner rather than shampoo. As my hair gets longer I will be using more conditioner than shampoo. I shampoo only from top of ears up.

patienceneeded
June 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I go through much more conditioner than shampoo. For every bottle of shampoo I use up, I probably have gone through 5 or 6 bottles of conditioner. I CWC and also dilute my shampoo, so the shampoo lasts for a long time. Conditioner I am pretty heavy-handed with, so I go through a lot. I could probably use less, but my hair likes being liberally coated with conditioner. It works for me!

Ligeia_13
June 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I can't really calculate it :P

I've had a 750ml bottle of shampoo for over a year now. And I go through a 500ml bottle of conditioner roughly every two months.

The sad part is, I only wash my hair once a week. :P

evieisocoolike
June 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM
1:50??? I CO and only clarify maybe one every four/five months with diluted Axe (I have 3 brothers, [they gave me a bottle because they don't like the smell] and Axe works great!). I don't really get build-up, even when using -cones. I'm a freak of nature! :D

catamonica
June 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I use both once a week. And do one or two scalp washes.

Rosetta
June 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
For those of you that use shampoo and conditioner, how many/much of each do you use?
I'm currently in love with Aveeno's sulfate-free line, but for every shampoo bottle that I use, I go through 3 bottles of conditioner (why can't they make their bottles bigger? :mad:).
Ahh, this is one of my pet peeves!! :p

Here (and I think most other places too) the standard sized these days are 250 ml for shampoo and 200 ml for conditioner, for almost all of so-called supermarket brands at least... And that's so annoying, it should be just the other way round! Of course I'd still use several conditioners to one shampoo, but at least that would make more sense. But I guess the sizes were designed with short-haired people in mind, what else would explain it... A 200 ml bottle of conditioner only lasts for about 3-4 washes for me, not very cost-effective.

Shesta
June 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Beginning of February I bought my recent bottle of shampoo and I've used half of it (~100 ml) until this point. Conditioner if I count correctly all the bottles that I've used gone through.. must be about ~2500 ml. Yep. I'm using 25 times more conditioner than shampoo.

I alternate CWC and CO

Mayflower
June 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Woooow if I had to buy as much conditioner as some of the folks here I'd be broke! I guess I'm weird? I wash my scalp twice with shampoo because it's sulfate free and I like my hair really clean. I only condition once, from the ears down. My hair can get a little dry but the tiniest amount of conditioner fixes that. I tried using more, like a palm full (I have waistlength hair) and it didn't make much difference besides that it got greasy faster lol. I'd say my ratio is 1:1 or even 2:1.

Annibelle
June 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Woooow if I had to buy as much conditioner as some of the folks here I'd be broke! I guess I'm weird? I wash my scalp twice with shampoo because it's sulfate free and I like my hair really clean. I only condition once, from the ears down. My hair can get a little dry but the tiniest amount of conditioner fixes that. I tried using more, like a palm full (I have waistlength hair) and it didn't make much difference besides that it got greasy faster lol. I'd say my ratio is 1:1 or even 2:1.

It SOUNDS like I use a lot of conditioner (I'm about 1:20+), BUT I go through one small shampoo bottle per year... and I also use the shampoo as my body wash. (Yep, I barely use any at all.)

heidi w.
June 10th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I can tell you that I use a whole lot more conditioner than shampoo. I can't tell you the measurement though, cause I'm not that tedious about use of each.

heidi w.

Mayflower
June 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
It SOUNDS like I use a lot of conditioner (I'm about 1:20+), BUT I go through one small shampoo bottle per year... and I also use the shampoo as my body wash. (Yep, I barely use any at all.)

But doesn't that mean you have to buy 20 bottles of conditioner, looking at your ratio? If so: :bigeyes:!

Annibelle
June 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
But doesn't that mean you have to buy 20 bottles of conditioner, looking at your ratio? If so: :bigeyes:!

That's true. :o It's a bit less than two per month. BUT they come in 11 oz. bottles, so it's really not that much for a COer... I think... :o

Mayflower
June 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
That's true. :o It's a bit less than two per month. BUT they come in 11 oz. bottles, so it's really not that much for a COer... I think... :o

No I guess that's pretty normal for a COer, since you really have to slather it in conditioner to clean it if I'm correct! I just never thought about it, but I guess most use cheap ones anyway (VO5, Suave,..).

Annibelle
June 10th, 2012, 12:09 PM
No I guess that's pretty normal for a COer, since you really have to slather it in conditioner to clean it if I'm correct! I just never thought about it, but I guess most use cheap ones anyway (VO5, Suave,..).

I don't slather it in quite as much as most COers, I think, BUT I also buy more expensive stuff. It's about $10/bottle. I justify this because I buy no other beauty products/cosmetics-- no other soaps, makeup, nail polish, lotion (except the edible stuff in my kitchen ;) ), etc. (Err, except the hair gel I just bought.) So I spend about 200-250 USD per year on all of my cosmetics.

lapushka
June 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I go through quite a bit of shampoo (about a palmful every time). For each palmful of shampoo, I use about two palmfuls of conditioner.

NoRush
June 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I use about 1:4 ratio but then my hair is just past shoulder.

Slug Yoga
June 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I... don't even know. But the ratio is really low. :D

It would be even lower when I COed, but I can't find the cheap VO5 conditioner I usually used now that I live in the UK. (I can order it from amazon for way too much money, considering the amount of it I go through).

Mayflower
June 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I don't slather it in quite as much as most COers, I think, BUT I also buy more expensive stuff. It's about $10/bottle. I justify this because I buy no other beauty products/cosmetics-- no other soaps, makeup, nail polish, lotion (except the edible stuff in my kitchen ;) ), etc. (Err, except the hair gel I just bought.) So I spend about 200-250 USD per year on all of my cosmetics.

Oh I wasn't trying to be nosy about your spendings! :flower: I spend way too much on nail polish and make-up (and clothes :oops: ). But I expect I'll have to buy more conditioner once my hair gets a bit longer!

BlazingHeart
June 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I'm somewhere between 1:2 and 1:4, depending on what kind I'm using. For a long time, I was using Garnier Fructis 2-in-1, so I guess I was using even parts! And I was happy with it, until I developed a SLS sensitivity.

~Blaze

my2cats1
June 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
around 1:12

luckyshot
June 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I probably go through four bottles of conditioner per bottle of shampoo. Maybe a little more. I CWC, so I use lots of conditioner, but I also use two different types of conditioner so I'm not 100% sure of the ratio.