PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil question

4C4rly4
June 9th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Do you absolutely have to heat the olive oil before applying it to your hair or can you just put it in without heating? I don't have a microwave so I can't really heat it lol. So can I just put it in like this? And why do people suggest heating it?

sparrowswing
June 9th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I've actually never heard of heating olive oil before application. I've been putting it on at room-temperature for two months now with no problems. I use it mainly as deep treatment the night before washing, and it makes my hair very soft and silky. I'd be interested to hear what, if any, differences heating it makes.

MiamiPineapple
June 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM
You do not have to heat it but you can put a blow dryer on your hair for a minute to heat it up under a cap.

Bene
June 9th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The only time I've ever heard of heating it is in articles written by mainstream magazines who write those DIY type of things. Perhaps they're trying to mimic the whole V05 hot oil thing? Even if you have an oil that solidifies at room temperature, you can warm it up in your hands.

I've never heated up any of the oils I've used.

Astraea
June 9th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I've done both, I've liked both. IMO the saturation is quicker with heat, like steaming in the shower or with a huetiful hair steamer. Some claim the benefit of HOTs is therapeutic or increases conditioning effect. Instead of heating you can just wrap a warm towel or put a shower cap on top, it's the same greenhouse effect IMO. HTH!

4C4rly4
June 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks y'allz
I just put it in without heating it and it seems to be fine :] I think I put in a bit too much though so washing it out is gonna suck :/ and since I don't have a shower cap, I just put it into a tight bun.

catamonica
June 10th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I just put to capfuls of olive oil in my shampoo & conditioner. It makes my hair soft.