PDA

View Full Version : heavy ponytail advice?

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I have fine/thick hair and as my hair gets longer, my ponytails are starting to get so heavy that I feel the weight pulling on my front hairline, even if it's a loose ponytail. Does anyone else experience this? If so, is there anything I can do to help it? I feel that my hairline will recede if I continue to wear ponytails, which I love doing :p

prettyhairisred
June 9th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Layers!! XD I had the same problem. Go to a proffessional salon; I went to Aveda, and the stylist will be able to keep you at the same length with half the weight! People with normal hair shouldn't do this if trying to grow long, but, if like me you have a lot of extra hair junk in your trunk it's a perfect solution! My hair just flows better, and because there's so much less of it, it's easier to style, takes less time to dry... And is lighter of course! :L

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Layers!! XD I had the same problem. Go to a proffessional salon; I went to Aveda, and the stylist will be able to keep you at the same length with half the weight! People with normal hair shouldn't do this if trying to grow long, but, if like me you have a lot of extra hair junk in your trunk it's a perfect solution! My hair just flows better, and because there's so much less of it, it's easier to style, takes less time to dry... And is lighter of course! :L

Ah, if only that were an option lol I'm trying to grow it to mid-thigh with a thick hemline, so layers would be the complete opposite direction. But thank you! :D
I actually just finished growing my layers out lol

Roscata
June 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Have you tried lower ponytails, like at the base of the neck? What about braids?

prettyhairisred
June 9th, 2012, 02:57 PM
True they can be hard to grow out :P well good luck I hope you find something that works!!

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Have you tried lower ponytails, like at the base of the neck? What about braids?

Yeah, I wear braids a lot, but every now and then I like to wear a high ponytail and it doesn't last more than 5 minutes before I feel the pulling at my hairline, so I end up taking it down. :rolleyes:

Ocelan
June 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm starting to get the same problem. Even though I have layers (which I hate and am trying to grow out) and even though my hair isn't iii but ii my ponytails weigh and pull a lot when I have them high. Lower ponytails do help but higher ones look better for me, especially since my DBF says he really likes a high pony on me so I like to try to please him sometimes too. :) Otherwise I don't really wear ponytails a lot nowadays since I wore that style almost constantly in the past and got a lot of breakage from that.

The only thing that I can come up with to help is sectioning. So part your hair from ear to ear and comb the top of the hair section of it into a ponytail near the part and secure. Then comb the nape section up near the part aswell and either secure that on its own making 2 ponies near each other or secure the hairs hanging from the higher pony along with the nape hairs with another hairtie, if my explanation makes any sense.

goldnymph
June 9th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have fine/thick hair and as my hair gets longer, my ponytails are starting to get so heavy that I feel the weight pulling on my front hairline, even if it's a loose ponytail. Does anyone else experience this? If so, is there anything I can do to help it? I feel that my hairline will recede if I continue to wear ponytails, which I love doing :p

I used have this problem when I put my wet hair in to a single braid. The weight of it was fairly painful until my hair began to dry. I am able to avoid this by first putting my hair half up, then braiding it in to the rest of my hair. Perhaps something similar could work for you? Ie. putting half of your hair up and securing it, then bringing the rest of your hair up to meet it and resecuring it.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to, as my explanation sounds confusing to me.
:rolleyes:

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/01/03/1/498/4981324/874add7b9f985665_Untitled-1.jpg

MissManda
June 9th, 2012, 03:11 PM
How about wearing your hair in a Comet Knot (http://1000daysofhair.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-28-comet-knot.html)? Maybe the bun at the base will distribute the weight of your hair better?

ETA: Or what about this pretty Flippy Updo (http://wahsegavalleyfarm.typepad.com/wahsega_valley_farm/flippy-updo.html)?

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I'm starting to get the same problem. Even though I have layers (which I hate and am trying to grow out) and even though my hair isn't iii but ii my ponytails weigh and pull a lot when I have them high. Lower ponytails do help but higher ones look better for me, especially since my DBF says he really likes a high pony on me so I like to try to please him sometimes too. :) Otherwise I don't really wear ponytails a lot nowadays since I wore that style almost constantly in the past and got a lot of breakage from that.

The only thing that I can come up with to help is sectioning. So part your hair from ear to ear and comb the top of the hair section of it into a ponytail near the part and secure. Then comb the nape section up near the part aswell and either secure that on its own making 2 ponies near each other or secure the hairs hanging from the higher pony along with the nape hairs with another hairtie, if my explanation makes any sense.

It makes sense. I believe a hair guru on youtube did this once, but I can't remember who..maybe Torrin Paige? I'll give that a try! Thanks!

I used have this problem when I put my wet hair in to a single braid. The weight of it was fairly painful until my hair began to dry. I am able to avoid this by first putting my hair half up, then braiding it in to the rest of my hair. Perhaps something similar could work for you? Ie. putting half of your hair up and securing it, then bringing the rest of your hair up to meet it and resecuring it.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to, as my explanation sounds confusing to me.
:rolleyes:

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/01/03/1/498/4981324/874add7b9f985665_Untitled-1.jpg

That might work :D I'll try it out. Thanks!

How about wearing your hair in a Comet Knot (http://1000daysofhair.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-28-comet-knot.html)? Maybe the bun at the base will distribute the weight of your hair better?

ETA: Or what about this pretty Flippy Updo (http://wahsegavalleyfarm.typepad.com/wahsega_valley_farm/flippy-updo.html)?

Ooh, i like the comet knot. I think my hair might be too long and heavy for the second one though. It would probably end up pulling my hairline also. Thanks for the tips :rolling:

lapushka
June 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
What about a knot bun. You can leave some of the ponytail out, but at least it won't tug on the hairline that much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE

spidermom
June 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I had to give up wearing ponytails quite a long time ago. It does help if I insert a slide over the ponytail holder, but it still gets uncomfortable after awhile. There are a few disadvantages to extra-long hair, unfortunately.

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM
What about a knot bun. You can leave some of the ponytail out, but at least it won't tug on the hairline that much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE

That might work, although the pony wouldn't be as high :(

I had to give up wearing ponytails quite a long time ago. It does help if I insert a slide over the ponytail holder, but it still gets uncomfortable after awhile. There are a few disadvantages to extra-long hair, unfortunately.

Yes, but completely worth it!

darklyndsea
June 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I've never managed to put my hair into a high ponytail without it immediately falling, so I have no real idea if these will really work, but maybe they're worth a try?

Accent braids, especially french accent braids, starting at your hairline.

Is there any way for you to make a ponytail without pulling your hair straight back? That helps me on buns that pull on my hairline.

lapushka
June 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM
That might work, although the pony wouldn't be as high :(

You can do a knot bun wherever you want on your head, doesn't have to be in the middle or low, you can do this high, even right up top if you want.

Unicorn
June 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Maybe a high pony with a section of hair wrapped around the base? If it's a good sized section, that would eat up some of the weight.

Unicorn

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I've never managed to put my hair into a high ponytail without it immediately falling, so I have no real idea if these will really work, but maybe they're worth a try?

Accent braids, especially french accent braids, starting at your hairline.

Is there any way for you to make a ponytail without pulling your hair straight back? That helps me on buns that pull on my hairline.

Hmm, I can't imagine doing a ponytail without pulling my hair straight back? But I never have this problem with buns because I secure my buns with four clips and that manages to take the pressure off

heidi w.
June 9th, 2012, 05:12 PM

If aiming for yet longer hair, I do not recommend layers.

In the world of purists, and long hair, it's no dye, no thinning/razoring/layering of hair. The goal is all one length hair, overall, by the purists way of seeing it. Plus most layering doesn't look as good as people hope for. This is a look for only certain hair types, for example, if curly/wavy, I would never recommend layers. You end up with a bush of hair.

Try drawing the hair from a center or side part in to the ponytail by curving hair on the sides, rather than drawing the hair over the top of the head into a ponytail. The reason it hurts is because the weight is pulling on the forehead front hairline and various other points of hair about the head. This situation can aggravate capillaries which are just under the scalp skin, and cause them to engorge, which can, in fact, lead to headaches even, of various sorts. You can also divide the hair into pigtails, or when down draw half of the hair up and wear hair half up half down. This helps to distribute the weight about the head.

And when you're done puting the ponytail in, take the palms of your hands and press on the sides of hair, approximately at the temples, and press inwardly and forward to somewhat loosen hair that's drawn back. This may help, but I must confess that overall a ponytail is not the best haircare for hair that's getting longer. The hair is still loose, susceptible to tangling and being caught in something such as under an armpit, in a car window, that kind of thing, and often one is leaning back and this ponytail can rub against surfaces that are not the best for hair, such as couch backs and other pieces of furniture backs, and on it goes. I recommend for best hair care to wear it in an updo, but with heavier hair, you're going to have to be a bit more creative than the rest of us to distribute that heavy hair about the head, such as two buns, one on either side of the hair part. OR you can have a diagonal hair part and still have two hair buns on either side of the part, perhaps set non-symmetrically, which is a fun summer hairstyle on weekends, and depending on where one works and the position they hold, can work in the workplace as well.

I wish you all the best,
heidi w.

Madora
June 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Ponytails are not the most hair friendly style because over time, they can lead to traction alopecia, plus plenty of breakage/thinning at the ponytail site. Added into the mix, all the tangles involved when hair is left unconfined.

If you haven't already, learn how to section your hair and wear it up to protect it. Sectioning also makes your hair easier to wear as it distributes the weight more comfortably.

If I were you, I'd learn various braids which adapt well to several hairstyles. Here's a link to a simple lace twisted crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You could also try simple Heidi braids.

The important thing to remember is not to have a lot of weight hanging from one spot. Not good for your hair or your scalp either.

heidi w.
June 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Ivanagil, anyway, just curious what the English translation is by the quote you have from Frida Kahlo. Ms. Kahlo is one of my favorite, all-time artists. I know a fair amount about her. Is it the quote she put on one of her famous paintings, such as the painting of Dorothy, was it, committing suicide by jumping out of a tall building, if I recall correctly? I strongly identify with her work on an emotional level, and a factual level of her form of documentation of all the surgeries she went through. Maybe I don't have it so bad, then?

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I second that!!
heidi w.

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Ivanagil, anyway, just curious what the English translation is by the quote you have from Frida Kahlo. Ms. Kahlo is one of my favorite, all-time artists. I know a fair amount about her. Is it the quote she put on one of her famous paintings, such as the painting of Dorothy, was it, committing suicide by jumping out of a tall building, if I recall correctly? I strongly identify with her work on an emotional level, and a factual level of her form of documentation of all the surgeries she went through. Maybe I don't have it so bad, then?

heidi w.

This is the quote she had on the painting after she chopped off her hair. I speak Spanish, so I'll give you the literal translation: "Look, if I loved you, it was for your hair, now that you're bald, I don't love you anymore."
I believe it was originally from a song, but she gave the quote it's fame by using it in one of her portraits.

BlazingHeart
June 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I wear braids a lot, but every now and then I like to wear a high ponytail and it doesn't last more than 5 minutes before I feel the pulling at my hairline, so I end up taking it down. :rolleyes:

There really isn't anything you can do about that. Simple mechanics - as your hair gets heavier, unless you shift the placement lower on your head so that more roots are supporting it, it will pull harder on your hairline. The only solutions are doing things like using a bun or braid that distributes weight or a lower ponytail.

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
There really isn't anything you can do about that. Simple mechanics - as your hair gets heavier, unless you shift the placement lower on your head so that more roots are supporting it, it will pull harder on your hairline. The only solutions are doing things like using a bun or braid that distributes weight or a lower ponytail.

It sounds like wearing a high ponytail is just something I'll have to give up. Oh, but the length is worth it :happydance:

Tawnylioness
June 9th, 2012, 07:01 PM
im sorry i have no advice, but i just wanted to say i wish i had that problem, my hair is too thin to have any weight :D

good luck to you though, hope you find a solution, if not ill take some of your hair and weight for you :D

IvanaGil
June 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM
im sorry i have no advice, but i just wanted to say i wish i had that problem, my hair is too thin to have any weight :D

good luck to you though, hope you find a solution, if not ill take some of your hair and weight for you :D

Lol I never thought I would have this problem since I have fine hair, but I have a whole lot of fine hair! I wish I could give you a slice of my hair :cake: :p

Tia2010
June 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM
My SIL has extremely thick hair (color me jealous :)) and she has yet to find a comfortable pony spot. She can get a few hours if she wraps her hair around her pony to distribute the weight some, but still... it's not to long before she takes it down.

'Thick hair problems' (said in my best PaulyD- Jersey Shore accent ;))

When she had her arm in a cast I put her hair up for her and I could actually feel the weight of her hair in my hand. I'm not surprised she gets a headache when its up!

One the plus side there are many cute styles aside from the pony you can do and you have thick hair- double plus :D