PDA

View Full Version : 2c/3a seeks the perfect curl cream or gel...if there is such a thing

lilliemer
June 9th, 2012, 11:29 AM
The list of requirements is short but fairly difficult to find in practice. Hopefully this question is not too repetitive...

-Gel or curl cream with a firm hold that does not make hair crunchy
-No protein
-Preferably no or only small amounts of silicones (I have had problems in the past with silicone heavy serums a la John Frieda, but am currently using a conditioner with amodimethicone which seems to be OK.)
-Not animal tested
-Available in the US, drugstore brands preferred, but I have access to a whole foods and can order online if needed

I really liked Garnier curl cream and their "naturals" firm hold gel, but unfortunately it looks like Garnier does animal testing. So those are out. (Can I add a brief aside about how misleading it is to slap "naturals" on your label but still animal-test?)

I've tried aloe gel but it doesn't have strong enough hold for me and dries my hair out.

Also, I am wondering how others have done with mixing a crunchifying gel with conditioner to make your own curl cream? Does this help to defeat the crunch?

curlymarcia
June 9th, 2012, 12:58 PM
My best hair product are both naturals, I loved aloe vera gel (I extract the aloe vera from the plant). Aloe vera gives a lot of shine with little hold. I also like flax seed "gel" it also gives shine, and you can add more or less water to get the desire hold. You also can mix aloe vera with the flax seed and your fave oil (but I prefer to put the oil directly in my hair). I have a commercial product that I use when I travel or just in case my hair supply expire. I use no frizz living conditioner, it works as well as aloe vera gel (but it's ten times expensier!). And I dont know if living proof does animal testing.

Cheveux en péta
June 9th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The list of requirements is short but fairly difficult to find in practice. Hopefully this question is not too repetitive...

-Gel or curl cream with a firm hold that does not make hair crunchy
-No protein
-Preferably no or only small amounts of silicones (I have had problems in the past with silicone heavy serums a la John Frieda, but am currently using a conditioner with amodimethicone which seems to be OK.)
-Not animal tested
-Available in the US, drugstore brands preferred, but I have access to a whole foods and can order online if needed

I really liked Garnier curl cream and their "naturals" firm hold gel, but unfortunately it looks like Garnier does animal testing. So those are out. (Can I add a brief aside about how misleading it is to slap "naturals" on your label but still animal-test?)

I've tried aloe gel but it doesn't have strong enough hold for me and dries my hair out.

Also, I am wondering how others have done with mixing a crunchifying gel with conditioner to make your own curl cream? Does this help to defeat the crunch?

Great post. I'm a 3c and my hair dries out really bad. Can't wait for more replies.

spidermom
June 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I find that gel gives me a lot less crunch if I rub it between wet hands.

HintOfMint
June 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Aveda Universal Styling Creme is pretty great. It's not specifically a curl cream, but it does work well on a wide variety of hair, including curls. It's moderately coney but I've used it with no ill effects. Aveda does not test on animals. Here are the ingredients:

water purified, chamomile flower extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, camellia oleifera leaf extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, dicaprylyl maleate, glycerin, phenyl trimethicone, cetyl dimethicone, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone, hexyl laurate, hydrogenated castor oil, fragrance, citral, geraniol, linalool, famesol, benzyl benzoate, benzyl salicylate, citronellol, eugenol, limonene, meadowfoam (limanthes alba) seed oil, jojoba (simmondsia chinensis) oil, cetearyl methicone, quaternium-80, sodium chloride, sodium gluconate, propylparaben, diazolidinyl urea

ETA: oh shoot, just saw that you wanted drugstore products or whole foods/online products. Sorry! I'm honestly still on the hunt for a curl cream that I like from a drugstore.

brave
June 9th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I like the Shea Moisture line but sadly I think their leave-ins all contain silk protein.

lapushka
June 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I have 3 gels that I use:

Eco Styler
IC Fantasia
LA Looks

lilliemer
June 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM
thanks everyone...@ spidermom do you think rubbing it in wet hands makes a difference even when the gel is going into soaking wet hair? That is a really simple solution if true. If that doesn't work I will try the aveda cream. I know that the Questing Gel is out there somewhere -- I just have to find it.

afu
June 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM
In the past I have used a mixture of equal parts aloe vera gel, normal conditioner and soft coconut oil (not quite liquid seems to mix better) plus an optional few drops of EO, currently im not having much problem with definition but when I do that really helps

Annibelle
June 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I just started using gel. My hair isn't as wavy/curly as yours, but what's been working GREAT for me is Andalou Naturals's Sunflower and Citrus gel. No cones, no animal testing, light scent, available at Whole Foods. It makes my hair crunchy because I use a ton of it, BUT I crunch all of the gel out once it's dry. It is still perfectly wavy, but not crunchy. :) HTH.

Kiwiwi
June 11th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Like Anibelle says. I scrunch my hair when it's completely dry to get the hard gel cast out (the crunchy feeling). Results in super bouncy, soft, shiny, beautiful curls for me :)
I need gel to really get the best results (I apply in by scrunching it to soaking wet hair. Then with a tshirt I scrunch the excess water and gel out, then air dry)
I think it's more the method that makes a difference vs. what you use (altough that counts too of course). I do the curly girl method :)

door72067
June 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I love this for my curls

http://www.sallybeauty.com/S-Curl-Activator-Moisturizer/LUSTER14,default,pd.html

I've also bought it in Rite-Aid, Walgreens and KMart

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I believe Kinky Curly's line fulfills all that, and is avaliable at Whole Foods.

lilliemer
June 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I just started using gel. My hair isn't as wavy/curly as yours, but what's been working GREAT for me is Andalou Naturals's Sunflower and Citrus gel. No cones, no animal testing, light scent, available at Whole Foods. It makes my hair crunchy because I use a ton of it, BUT I crunch all of the gel out once it's dry. It is still perfectly wavy, but not crunchy. :) HTH.

ooh lots of new products to try! yay! i have had a hard time getting the crunchiness out when my hair is dry, but it is pretty coarse and has a sort of innate level of crunch due to its texture. I wonder if you have an easier time with it because of fine hair?

Like Anibelle says. I scrunch my hair when it's completely dry to get the hard gel cast out (the crunchy feeling). Results in super bouncy, soft, shiny, beautiful curls for me :)
I need gel to really get the best results (I apply in by scrunching it to soaking wet hair. Then with a tshirt I scrunch the excess water and gel out, then air dry)
I think it's more the method that makes a difference vs. what you use (altough that counts too of course). I do the curly girl method :)

ok this has highlighted a potential problem for me. I was adding the gel to soaking wet hair and not scrunching again until it was dry. So i had nice curl definition but lots and lots of crunch that did not go away no matter what I do. Like you could hear my hair rubbing together when I moved my head. :eek: If i don't add any gel, my hair is soft(er) but the curls don't stay. I will try scrunching out the excess gel with a tshirt while my hair is wet. Do you scrunch again when dry?

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
ok this has highlighted a potential problem for me. I was adding the gel to soaking wet hair and not scrunching again until it was dry. So i had nice curl definition but lots and lots of crunch that did not go away no matter what I do. Like you could hear my hair rubbing together when I moved my head. :eek: If i don't add any gel, my hair is soft(er) but the curls don't stay. I will try scrunching out the excess gel with a tshirt while my hair is wet. Do you scrunch again when dry?

People scrunch when wet to make the curls rise up, and then after drying to eliminate the crunch. I myself don't scrunch when my hair is wet (because I prefer my curls elongated), but when the hair is completely dry, and if you've used a gel that agrees with your hair, it should result in softer, well-formed hair. However, my hair with product is never as soft as my product free hair.

brave
June 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I believe Kinky Curly's line fulfills all that, and is avaliable at Whole Foods.

Forgot about this! Bit pricey but great curl definition. Only once have I used too much and ended up with a crunchy mess. It does make your hair stay damp a lot longer. And it smells like cake, so I get hungry.