PDA

View Full Version : Protein help please

Suze2012
June 9th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone help with the following questions please?
I'm confused on the subject of proteins and whether I need them and how to recognise them on labels.

I have three questions:
Answers to any or all or even snippets would so help. :)

Do I have the following right?

When wet - check shed hair and find out if it stretches or snaps.
If it stretches you need protein
If it snaps you need moisture
If it does neither your hair is balanced and healthy.

How do you recognise things containing protein on labels so that you can either choose to use or choose to avoid them? Do they have 'protein' showing on a label?

For those in need of protein which natural and easily found products would be a recommendation to use? (I am asking for natural and easily found as I am in the UK and many hair products aren't available over here.)

Thanks in advance.
Signed a confused newbie! :)

Siiri
June 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM
You should do the test on dry hair. Wet hair always stretches a bit, you may not get an accurate result that way.

There's a list of different protein compounds in the third post of this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93274

fridgee
June 9th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Pretty much anything with 'hydrolyzed something' is a protein. Common ones are silk, wheat, and keratin. I don't know about the stretch test sorry! Also don't know any natural protein conditioners either sorry! If I need protein I use (l'oreal ?) Nutrigloss, which you can get in the UK. Hope that helps! :flower:

swearnsue
June 9th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Mane N Tail shampoo and conditioners have proteins and work great for many. I don't need to use them often but I keep them around for when I do. They work good on dogs too.