PDA

View Full Version : Best way to s&d?

Tawnylioness
June 9th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Im sorry if there is already an answer somewhere here, If you can point me to it? Otherwise, how do you s&d those nasty split ends?

snowcloud
June 9th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Wow i finally get what that means..

Search and Destroy.. :boxer:

How clever.. Well I have never actually done this before to be perfectly honest. Isn't it just better to get a 1/2 trim all around??

Im interested to see what you girls have to say about this..

Zesty
June 9th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I think there have been a lot of threads and articles about this before, but it's hard to search for "S&D" on the forums. ;) There are an infinite number of variations. I like to do mine outside in indirect sunlight (direct and the shine is too blinding) or in front of a computer screen if sunlight isn't available. Sometimes people do it while watching TV or something like that, so that they're not bored out of their minds. You can section it and go section by section or just look at random. Some people like to use braids and snip the splits that stick out of the braids. I occasionally do the braid thing, but I tend to just split my hair in two and pull it over my shoulders, then look at random in each side. Because I have splits in the mid-levels of my hair, a trim wouldn't get them anyway, and I don't want to have to lose so many healthy ends just to get rid of a few splits.

Madora
June 9th, 2012, 07:00 AM
S and Ding can be done in a variety of ways, depending on your patience:

1) Taking a very small section of hair and twisting it down to the ends and then snipping off all the splits/white dots that pop up from the twist

2) Taking a few strands and examining them little by little for damage

Whatever method you choose, be sure your shears are SHARP. Dull scissors will only make MORE split ends.

Also be sure to use the best light source possible.

It is easier to locate the split if you choose a plain, contrasting background..i.e. dark color for light colored hair, light colored background for dark colored hair.

Of course, if you want to get rid of splits, you can just opt for a slight trim of the ends.

Splits are caused by dryness or mechanical damage. To help with moisture, you might want to investigate Ktani's mineral oil (baby oil) article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Her article on catnip rinses for split ends is here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Lastly, mineral oil is a wonderful detangler and helps reduce static.

spidermom
June 9th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I think it's easiest to S&D the splits that stick out of braids.