PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly looking short?

LizTheLyre
June 9th, 2012, 12:23 AM
My hair is at the bottom of my ribcage (about 2 inches from my waist) i wear it down and wavy-ish most days. I occasionally get comments about it being long from friends and rarer from strangers. It's become a joke between my and a few of my frineds about how my hair gets caught on everything. I haven't done anything differently then i have been all this year, but lately i've been getting a lot of "did you cut your hair?" comments. i seriously don't know how, but my hair looks shorter, it's the exact same length as before, but it looks shorter. other people are noticing it so it can't be just in my head, right? :confused:

Avital88
June 9th, 2012, 12:27 AM
maybe you have breakage? you dye or use heat on your hair? did your hair got wavier in any way?
That are the only things i can think of now

SongofLove
June 9th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Did you grow taller perhaps?

darklyndsea
June 9th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Maybe it's wavier now than it used to be?

Another thing I know makes hair look shorter is (apparent) thickness. If your hair is thicker or fluffier now, that might cause the optical illusion of it being shorter.

onlyforhim
June 9th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I agree with Songoflove, maybe you got taller?
but still wehre did the 6 inches go if it has been one year I mean you should have atleast grown another 6 inches..
are you cutting your hair?

freckles
June 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Another thing is, "did you cut your hair?" seems to be a thing people say if they notice ANY change in your hair and can't work out quite what it is, not just if it looks shorter. If you've changed your colour (either dye or just lightened a little in the sun), if you've changed your routine in a way that makes your hair look curlier/straighter, sleeker/floofier, thicker/thinner, if you're styling it in a different way (up/down/more height/less height/whatever). Sometimes people notice a change and just assume a cut :shrug:

In fact, this could plausibly extend to anything about your appearance. Have you maybe, changed your makeup or your glasses, or anything like that? If you look subtly different and people can't place why, they might just assume your hair is different.

luxepiggy
June 9th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I agree with freckles on this one. Often when people feel your appearance has changed, and they can't quite figure out why, a haircut is one of the default guesses.

curlymarcia
June 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM
What about shrinkage due to humidity? If it's been raining a lot this could be a reason why some people believe you cut your hair.

jacqueline101
June 9th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Maybe they assumed since its wavier you got a hair cut.

LizTheLyre
June 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM
it's probably my just being paranoid. i lightened the ends with lemon, but i didn't think it was noticeable, but i think yall are right and they just noticed a change. phew. thank you all.

Jing
June 10th, 2012, 05:04 AM
It might just look different because the season changed. Humidity, temperature. It might look wider now and thus appear shorter in comparison.