PDA

View Full Version : Is this hair style too old-school/???

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I've taken to wearing my hair in a long, skinny clip with a scrunchie or hair-friendly elastic, as I have shorter layers that call out of a pony and end up in my face (I find this irritating.)

I put the clip nearish to the front, with the front layers in it, then make a pony at the nape...make sense? I'll try to get a photo of it.

I know that people consider scruncies "passe" which I don't actually care about at all, I love scrunchies, personally. I just dunno if using a skinny clip with a pony is too 80s or ???

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/Ariansnow/DSC_0607.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/Ariansnow/DSC_0608.jpg

I included the messed-up photo because I like it, also, it's hard to focus a DSLR when you're not looking through the viewfinder...

longhairedlady
June 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think its pretty! As long as you like it then dont worry about it! :D

woolyleprechaun
June 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ahhhhhh, who cares what anyone else thinks? It looks nice, and you like it. So there! :)

xoxophelia
June 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I think if you are worried about style, pick either the scrunchie or the clip but not both together. Otherwise, yeah, it does look pretty 80s (but if that doesn't bother you, don't worry about it).

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Oh well...I love the 80s and miss it pretty hard. Vive le 80s!

I was never one to care much what is currently fashionable, I do what I like and what works for me. Who knows, maybe it'll come back into vogue sooner or later.

BTW, I find this style very comfortable, easy to fix if the hair gets messy and doesn't pull/give me a headache/etc. :D

spidermom
June 8th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Too old school for what exactly?

LaFlor
June 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
It is definitely not in style... but if you really like it, then that doesn't matter.
Although I think there are a lot more flattering styles out there that might be better, especially with all the pretty updo's on here :)

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Too old school for what exactly?

The masses, I guess...

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
It is definitely not in style... but if you really like it, then that doesn't matter.
Although I think there are a lot more flattering styles out there that might be better, especially with all the pretty updo's on here :)

I have a toddler. 'Nuff said.

Lucky_Lucy
June 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Honestly, I don't think it's old-school at all. It might look just a little bit childish(or maybe that's just the way I see it because sometimes scrunchies seem to give off this "cute" look^ ^), but I think it's really pretty. If you like it, then you shouldn't worry about what others might think.

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thank you, Lucky. :)

henné
June 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Man, that just gave me a flashback :D

If you like it, you like it and it's nobody's business what you like ... :)

door72067
June 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I would caution about using that kind of clip (it looks like the kind with a metal closure) in the same spot on a daily basis as it could cause breakage

but otherwise, who cares what others think?

Wavelength
June 8th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Pfft, don't worry about what's "in fashion". It looks neat, it works, who cares what anyone thinks?

Just call it retro! ;)

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I would caution about using that kind of clip (it looks like the kind with a metal closure) in the same spot on a daily basis as it could cause breakage

but otherwise, who cares what others think?

Thanks. I'm careful not to snag any hairs and I don't wear it like this 24/7, either.

GlennaGirl
June 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I have to say I absolutely love the clip. I just think it adds so much. It is so cute!

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thank you. :)

I have several different ones and lots of different scrunchies (I posted a photo of my stash in the conventional section)

I'm totally wearing my hair like this to Target, later. Muahahha!

LaFlor
June 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I have a toddler. 'Nuff said.

lol. I have 2 toddlers, so I get it... you can catch me with some not so stylish do's sometimes. But I don't think that means you can't be in style if you want to. I'm trying to get away from the mom-do's myself, but I do not condemn them because being a mom is hard enough without all the pressures to be on trend or in style ;)

Zesty
June 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Personally I kind of like the clip and ponytail combo, even if I'm not a huge fan of scrunchies. I didn't think "80s" at all, but then again, I wasn't alive yet in the 80s. :o I'd wear it like that if it's convenient and you like it.

duchesswannabe
June 8th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I like the style. The scrunchie is pretty. I think it would look more old school if the ponytail were way high in the air--I don't know.

akilina
June 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I think if you are worried about style, pick either the scrunchie or the clip but not both together. Otherwise, yeah, it does look pretty 80s (but if that doesn't bother you, don't worry about it).
I agree with the pick either one. Or maybe a different hair tye and clippie. Or just a different scrunchie with that clip, But really...who cares? :) if it works for you then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. And chances are no ones going to walk up to you and point out your hair style to yourself :p
I used to wear my hair like this to bed but with small hair ties

queenofkohl
June 8th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I've taken to wearing my hair in a long, skinny clip with a scrunchie or hair-friendly elastic, as I have shorter layers that call out of a pony and end up in my face (I find this irritating.)

I put the clip nearish to the front, with the front layers in it, then make a pony at the nape...make sense? I'll try to get a photo of it.

I know that people consider scruncies "passe" which I don't actually care about at all, I love scrunchies, personally. I just dunno if using a skinny clip with a pony is too 80s or ???

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/Ariansnow/DSC_0607.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/Ariansnow/DSC_0608.jpg

I included the messed-up photo because I like it, also, it's hard to focus a DSLR when you're not looking through the viewfinder...
Do you ever wear it down? And sure dont worry about it if you like this style, but you wouldnt be asking if you didnt care what other thought or needed a change right?
Looks like you have nice hair texture and color- good length and layers, why not round brush blowdry sometimes and wear it down? I bet it would take you 5 minutes and look pretty:)

MiamiPineapple
June 8th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I think you should wear your hair in whatever style makes you happy :)

Honestwitness
June 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I like it. I love scrunchies, too. You can call it vintage or retro and that makes it instantly stylish.

Katleen
June 8th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Flashback indeed, I used to wear my hair like this all the time in my teens :-)

That said, it shouldn't even be a question, if you like to wear your hair like that, you do it. Nobody's business but your own!

SongofLove
June 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I think the style is totally cute! I like how the clip and the scrunchie match. I love scrunchies and that one is really nice.

White Sides
June 12th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't say so. My mom's classmates' yearbook pictures, THOSE are old school

Honestwitness
June 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM
My mom was in high school in the 1940s and you are right about those yearbook photos. My mom used to wear her hair like Heddy Lamar and Jane Russell. Actually, I think those women had absolutely gorgeous hair. They used pincurls with bobby pins and slept on all that hardware overnight. Sometimes they sat under those huge hair dryers. When I was little, my mom did my hair in pincurls like that for special occassions. *sigh* My mom was such a sweetie...in fact, she still is. She's 82 and still has a part-time job. She gets perms now and uses a curling iron. Her hair is totally white. For someone her age, she still looks beautiful to me.

betsb
June 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM
That's a nice homage to your mom honeywitness.
Arienwen your're hair looks nice the way you have it.
I think we go through phases with our hair. I used to wear mine up in a claw for a while, then w/a band, then in a braid, now I wear it down. Of course the phases depend on the length it is at the time.

Arya
June 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM
It's not currently in fashion, but then, neither are boobs.

jacqueline101
June 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM
If you like it wear it. I wouldn't care what people think I'd wear it how I want.

teela1978
June 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I wore my hair like that every day in junior high school in the early 90s... so it might be a bit dated. Does it matter though?

Sivan
June 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM
You asked, so I'm going to be honest. I think it looks dated.
Just my personal opinion!

catamonica
June 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I think your hair looks great.

Thenolegirl
June 12th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Your hair is very pretty! I love the clip! I will be honest and say I'm not big into scrunchies, but your hair half-up/ half-down would be beautiful with the clip =)

From the point of view of a girl who wore full crinoline under long skirts to class in high school (I looked like I stepped out of the 50s)...do what YOU like in the end and enjoy your hair. =)

heatherdazy
June 13th, 2012, 12:55 AM
You have pretty hair, but that particular style is very dated.

I also like to pull my hair half up then all the way up... one bun stacked on top of another is a quick yet surprisingly complex looking way to do this. You might also consider other quick updos or braided styles, there is no shortage of ideas on pinterest.

KylieAnne
June 13th, 2012, 01:14 AM
first and foremost, if you like it that's all that matters!
but if you're a little worried you could change it up a little bit to update it.

believe it or not, scrunchies are coming back!
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18803973

putting it in a high pony or a side pony (or fool around to find a flattering placement) will help. if you can stand not using the clip a little of a messier look helps update it quite a bit.

I'm actually planning on getting some scrunchies because I know they're more hair friendly.

vintage88
June 13th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I think it looks really nice, don't worry about what others think, it's your hair:) I sometimes wear braided pigtails and have had comments about them being 'childish' but they protect my hair and are quick and easy so I really don't care what others think! It will be worth it when I have long, healthy, undamaged hair anyway!

Wear your hair however you want to!:D

Trivial
June 13th, 2012, 06:45 AM
first and foremost, if you like it that's all that matters!
but if you're a little worried you could change it up a little bit to update it.

believe it or not, scrunchies are coming back!
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18803973

putting it in a high pony or a side pony (or fool around to find a flattering placement) will help. if you can stand not using the clip a little of a messier look helps update it quite a bit.

I'm actually planning on getting some scrunchies because I know they're more hair friendly.

I totally agree with that! :)

Wayuki
June 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I personally like scrunchies. They don't have to look outdated. I like to combine them with a fashionable dress, and make sure the colors of the scrunchie either match or complement the dress. That way, I think it looks stylish.

Maybe you should take what I say with a grain of salt though... I'm an 80's baby afterall. :eyebrows:

longNred
June 13th, 2012, 07:36 AM
of course I fully agree that you should wear it if you like it. that said, yes, yes it is too outdated.

hyettf16
June 13th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I like the scrunchie but not the clip.

palaeoqueen
June 13th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Tell people it's retro and that you're just way ahead of the curve, give it a few months they'll all be wearing it ;)

juicy-glitter
June 13th, 2012, 08:25 AM
It serves a purpose though, and helps make your life easier and more enjoyable, and thats all that matters in the end.

moon2dove
June 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Nothing wrong with it! It looks fine....and I've seen 'young' girls wear it the same way as 'older' women!
Anyway I wouldn't worry about it being fashionable or 80's if you like wearing it that way , I don't see anything wrong. Enjoy!

Avital88
June 13th, 2012, 09:04 AM
im not sure if its in style, but who cares. i would wear it too, it looks nice and it is practical right? it also looks nice on you :)

pepperminttea
June 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM

:rollin: This! The fashion industry doesn't exactly cater to reality. If the style works for you, especially with a toddler to keep up with, then what does it matter? :)

alyanna
June 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM
It's toooootally outdated ;)

But this is coming from Ms. Outdated Hairstyle herself. I like wearing my hair similar to yours but without the ponytail, where you push the clip foreward to get a big bouffant in the front. *I* think I look great like that... :D

KellieKay
June 13th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I think it looks good. I would wear it and not worry what other people think.

frodolaughs
June 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Too outdated for what? It's practical. It's tidy. It's comfortable. I think it's a great 'everyday' style. I don't necessarily wear my hair the same way when I'm going grocery shopping and doing housework as when I'm trying to disguise myself as a professional, and I'll do yet another thing if I'm going to a special occasion. (In my case, none of them are likely to be the height of current style because I've gotten to fingertip! That is just the most popular length for women's hair and I couldn't care less)

Lady Neeva
June 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I find it an oddity to wear both at the same time.

misspurdy06
June 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM
nope

Just old school enough. lol

PrairieRose
June 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I agree, if you like it then that is all that matters. I do think it happens to look very pretty and classic!

Deborah
June 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I would choose EITHER the barrette OR the scrunchie, but not both. You can make a low ponytail with either. Together they do not look good.

truepeacenik
June 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM
With a slightly sleeker scrunchie, or those braided oversize bands sold at variety stores the clip plus band would work in a way that says pulled together.

My kid pulled my scrunchies out, so I abandoned them in 93.

Kristin
June 14th, 2012, 07:37 AM
(Hijack) It's comments like this that make me wish LHC had a "Like" button. (End hijack)

ariesfairies
June 14th, 2012, 08:20 AM
This was EXACTLY what I used to wear in primary school! :D
So with me, all I see is a very youthful hair-do. I don't find it an issue to wear the two, especially if the clip is the same colour as a part of the scrunchie itself.
I don't get why so many people don't find it looks good enough though :( I guess I'm just like you on that one.

Ice Fox
June 14th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I can think of a number of things which are so-called 'stylish' and which look absolutely awful. Your hair style doesn't look awful but seems to me both pretty and practical. Does the job, I'd say!

WaterMusic
June 14th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not necessarily a fan of the accessories you've chosen, but I find that having the upper section of the hair pulled back higher up than the rest of the hair is really flattering. It looks lovely from the front (IME).

Angela_Rose
June 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
It's not "old-school," it's "retro." Tada!

And hey, if you like it, then everyone else can shove off.

feb26
June 14th, 2012, 12:14 PM
if you wanna update it, replace the scrunchie for a regular elastic...or leave space, then insert an elastic, then braid onwards...