PDA

View Full Version : 4 months later...thinner hair?

quintanion
June 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM
In the last 4 months, I've made several changes in my hair care routine based on info from here. I've started oiling (experimenting with both coconut and jojoba), have been wearing my hair up a lot more, stretching washes and using SLS and cone free S/C (though I still occasionally use anti-frizz products with cones). Towards the beginning, I had about a month long period of ridiculous shedding - I'd run my fingers through my hair and come out with a palmful of shed strands. At the time, I wasn't sure if it really was increased shedding or if it was just that I was paying more attention, but it did seem to subside significantly after that month.

I took some comparison photos recently and feel that although my hair looks healthier, it also seems thinner from the shoulders downward. I also get major "scalp cleavage" when my hair is in need of a wash. I wanted to get some LHC opinions on whether it really does look thinned out (or if this forum is just making me paranoid, heh), and if there's anything I can do if I start having a major shed again in the future. I have no earthly idea what caused it in February... My goal is to get to waist, then maintain and try to grow out old face framing layers and thicken the hemline.

The first two pics are hair typing photos (post-clarifying, air dried with no products or manipulation), last is showing the awful bald-spot-looking hair cleavage just before a wash

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/DSC_0026.jpg Jan 31, 2012 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/DSC_0039.jpg Jun 7, 2012

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Tiraka/DSC_0001-1.jpg Jun 2012, oiled hair pre-wash

honeybunnie8
June 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I dont think it looks thinner, just looks like your curls are tighter and less frizzy. Its looks nice.

Five of Five
June 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I agree with honeybunny - I think it looks a bit less voluminous, but not thinner. The same thing happened to me when I started taking care of my hair. Moisture can weigh it down quite a bit.

About the palmfuls of hair - could it have been because you were manipulating your hair less often by stretching washes, etc, and thus you were shedding all those hairs you otherwise would have lost at once? If not, and it was an unusual amount of hairloss for you, it may be beneficial to get it checked out by a Doctor.

Also, your curls look beautiful :flower:.

HintOfMint
June 7th, 2012, 11:19 PM
It's hard to say, because it just looks like the curls are more defined. A better way of telling is whether the base of your ponytail feels thinner in your hand.

Also, I had some of the worst shedding on my life on an SLS free shampoo. I alternate now with an SLS shampoo and an SLS free one.

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Your curls look more defined. Your hair is still beautiful.

Amanah
June 8th, 2012, 09:14 AM
It looks like it may just be weighed down with too much oil or conditioner.
Maybe clarify it and take a picture of it to compare with the first two pics that are of clarified hair?

quintanion
June 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Ok, thanks for helping to relieve my silly fears :) The last photo (taken a few days ago) kinda freaked me out and prompted this post, but it probably was always like that and I just never noticed it b/c I washed daily and didn't have pictures of the back of my head. I'm really glad I clarified and took another pic to see that I have made progress in length and appearance by using all the awesome advice here

Anapeli
June 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I think you should take a picture of your hair in the exact same condition your hair is in on the 2nd pic. It does look thinner. How is your health? Any dietary changes , changes in medications (started new, stopped, increase or decrease) stresses or récente illnesses? It's possible that maybe hormonal changes are occurring? I'm sure there is a simple explanation an solution

henné
June 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
The reasons why in the second picture the hair looks "thinner" are:

1. On the second picture you have a brighter shirt on and the color shines through more than on the first picture, hence making it look as if you had 'less' hair, which you don't.
2. Also, on the first picture, your hair looks waaaaay frizzier and it also is shorter.
3. You have a bit of tapering of the ends in the second picture, but pretty much everyone has that ... With time and trimming you can get a fuller hemline.
4. What else ... each picture was taken in a different scale - the first picture is taken a bit closer up, that makes it look bigger optically.

When it comes to the third picture ... well ... it's the oil that clumps hair together and makes one's hair look thinner. My hair does the same thing when deep oiling.

I'd say you have nothing to worry about. ;)

Tota
June 8th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I also think it's not thinner, just more healthy, shiny and defined.

Anapeli
June 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Definitely your hair looks good in the 2nd pic. Take another picture of your hair with the same shirt as the second , same distance and in the same condition (washed, oiled, whatever it was) and compare. It's the third pic that looks like possible thinning (note the crown of the head on the 3rd).

quintanion
June 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Just to clarify, the second picture was taken yesterday - the photos/text didn't line up quite right when I posted. The last two pics were only taken a few days apart, only the third was with a lot of coconut oil just before a wash (hence all the separation/visible scalp), while the second was after washing with a clarifying shampoo.

Anapeli
June 9th, 2012, 05:58 AM
The second pic shows healthy hair, in my opinion.

Mesmerise
June 9th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Well you had a bit of a shed, so it may be fractionally thinner in the second pic. BUT also as others have said, the hair looks more defined and less poofy, which I think makes a huge difference! When my hair is poofy it can look quite thick, when in reality it's the opposite. Because your hair is looking healthier in the second, it seems more silky and soft, I think it's just clumping together more and not poofing out.

The only real way to work out whether your hair has thinned is to do a circumference measurement, and if you think it's thinned out, do it again (so you've got a benchmark).

I must admit the third does show quite a bit of scalp cleavage, but it's possibly just normal and because your hair hadn't been recently washed. I have taken pics of the back of my head and seen dreadful scalp cleavage and freaked out, but often it's just the way the hair is sitting, and is forming a part!

Silverbrumby
June 9th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I did the same. I think it was the stretched washes causing more hair to come out when I washed. Not brushing it (no hair falling out in the brush) only combing. More updos so less hair falling out when it was out.

Put the SMT on your hair for 2 hours when wash. It clarifies without stripping.

I think your hair has grown a lot and looks lovely. Thinning is a concern but clarify to see what's happening. Try wet bunning.