PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk brushes and combs!! ;)

SurferB
June 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
What's your fave kind, and why? I'm thinking of getting a soft bristle wooden one from a health food store near by that uses recycled wood. I use a wide tooth comb mostly b/c it's gentle.

ohmygackt
June 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I only use wide tooth wood combs. I find that wood combs spread your natural oils more evenly on your hair. But I want to try a boar bristle brush soon.

Tawnylioness
June 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
since joining this site i have discovered that my hair doesnt like brushes, so i only use a horn comb and my tangle teezer

Lady Neeva
June 7th, 2012, 09:31 PM
My body shop comb serve as convenient-as brushes tend to tangle in my F/M iii hair.

Hollyfire3
June 7th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I use a wide tooth comb mostly. They are the only way to get tangles out of my mess of hair....i use a brush before braiding or if my hair is behaving and will loosen its waves a bit.

myHairGrowth
June 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I use a wide wooden comb for detangling and normal combing. I use a bbb brush which helps my hair to be smooth and soft.

BrightEyes
June 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I have a Mason Pearson wide tooth comb. I love it, it glides right through my hair. I have a BBB, but don't really use it. Maybe when my hair is longer, we'll see.

IvanaGil
June 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I use a semi-wide toothed bamboo comb from Whole Foods, and occasionally my Tangle Teezer. I don't like the TT as much because it tends to flatten and straighten my curls.

Ndayeni
June 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I stopped using brushes on my hair years ago and have a couple wide tooth combs that are my mainstays. My Goody Pick Comb is the main thing I've used to comb my hair for years now and more recently I got a Conair Shower Comb that has slightly wider teeth. I've tried it in the shower a few times, but mostly I use it to detangle after a shower as the first thing I use. I bought a Tangle Teezer a few months ago and use that some as well now, and just bought a BBB a few weeks ago that I've only tried a few times.

Tizzles
June 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I have a plastic drugstore comb that I use sometimes when I can't find my wooden body shop comb. I've went over it meticulously to make sure there's nothing to snag my hair, but I absolutely love my wooden comb from The Body Shop :)

Tia2010
June 7th, 2012, 11:18 PM
My favorite brushes/combs come from 'The Body Shop'

I use a wooden wide tooth comb for detangling and a bamboo brush with thick bamboo bristles for brushing... My hair and scalp love it!

I also have a BBB which I use at night (when I remember :p)- after my hair is detangled.

betsb
June 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I use a cushioned brush with nylon tipped bristles. It doesn't pull the hair and helps detangle when wet. I found brushes frizzed my hair.

SnowWhite
June 8th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Wide tooth comb! But I want to try a BBB some day...

freckles
June 8th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I'm tangle teezer (and fingers) only :) I don't get along with other brushes/combs but I love my TT! :)

Tota
June 8th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Just TT, wide-tooth comb and my fingers can touch my hair :)

SilverDoe
June 8th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I use a wide toothed comb, and a Kent Woodyhog which is the best brush I've ever had.
It has wide flexible wooden quills that gives an amazing scalp massage, without ball ends & the handle is so ergonomical. :crush:

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=8

UpNorth
June 8th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I have a wide tooth comb, its plastic but have a antistatic layer and its seemless. I like it, since I got that from my mum two years ago my hair hasn´t tangled as much, I think it helped the condition of my hair a lot. I also have a BBB, but I only use that maybe two times between washes. When I need to distribute my sebum before shower and at my mid-wash oiling of the lengths. I can use it when i notice shed hair just hanging there too, my comb doesn´t get rid of those. The reason why I don't use it more often is that it makes my hair too flat and oily on the scalp.

PolarCathy
June 8th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Another vote for the Kent Woodyhog. :rolling:

SongofLove
June 8th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I love my Madora comb (I have the wide-toothed pearl one)---it's so pretty, big, and smooth. I also have a Tangle Teezer but I don't use it as much as the comb.

Ticky
June 8th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I use a seamless wide tooth plastic comb or a wooden hairbrush.

PrincessIdril
June 8th, 2012, 04:36 AM
I use a Mason Pearson, nylon and boar bristle brush pretty much everyday. I have a couple of wide-ish toothed combs which I use after washing/oiling my hair but most of the time I brush.

I find that my waves look more defined and are easier to manage if they are brushed, combs just don't do it for me. I think I get more breakage from combs rather than my brush! (That and combs just don't get my shed hairs out!)

afu
June 8th, 2012, 04:44 AM
I use a tangle teezer when my hair is damp (no breakage observed so far) and then just finger comb when dry because of the curls

AnaGeorgette
June 8th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I've been using my bamboo brush from the body shop for over a year now and I absolutely adore it. Apart from the fact that some of the bristles on the sides break off a little too easily it's the best brush I've ever used for shine and easy detangling.

Alva
June 8th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I used a wide tooth comb for some years, but after I purchased a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush with nylon I switched totally. For me that brush works perfect, it was well worth the money and I enjoy using it every day. My hair gets detangled really easy with it. With combs I at times had the problem of damaging individual strands, with the brush that doesnt happen.

joflakes
June 8th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I have a Matador comb:

http://www.capitalhairandbeauty.co.uk/hairdressing/brushes-combs/combs/matador-comb-49.html

it is lovely. Even DBF noticed and commented on my 'swanky' new comb, haha!

Other than that I do have a TT but I prefer my Matador.

lapushka
June 8th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Wide tooth bone comb and Tangle Teezer.

Zesty
June 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I've mostly been using my fingers for a few weeks, but I also have a seamless plastic wide tooth comb. I like my fingers better. I've been considering getting a BBB to help spread my scalp oils a bit and see if I can't use that to make my scalp a little happier.

Madora
June 8th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I've been using Goody pure bbbs for more than 40 years. I bought 3 in 1970 and each one lasted for many years. I sure wish they still made that particular model, but they don't.

For years I used a comb made especially for George Michael clients but it gave up the ghost after 15 years of wonderful service. Now I'm using a shower comb from Sally's and it has proven to be a quality item for my hair.

meeliah
June 8th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I use my seamless widetoothed plastic comb for mornings and for styling. In the evening if I have any oil buildup on scalp from needing washed or length from oil treatments, I'll comb my hair out and use my BBB on it. Then wrap it up for bed.

My mom just got me a Fuller BBB and I have fallen in love with it. She's a Fuller Brush rep and this was my first go at their products.
http://www.fuller.com/index.php/beech-club.html
I was just using the cheap one from Sallys, but I hated it. This one has much more resilient hairs and doesn't tear as badly as the one from Sallys. It just feels better in the hand and across the hair.

TheMechaGinger
June 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Tangle Teezer all day err' day! It's the only thing I use on my hair any more. I got mine at sally's and it's just magic

Jing
June 8th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I had a wide tooth black horn comb that I loved, and then I dropped it on the floor and it broke. ;_; It is now (after a lot of sawing and sandpapering) a hair stick. I can't find a replacement for it, because there are no designs out right now that I like. Plastic simply isn't the same, and I don't like the colour of most types of wood.

Arianwen
June 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I've been using the same Mason-Pearson rake for years...

jeanniet
June 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I have the extra wide toothed detangling comb from Hairsense. It's the only comb I've found that has teeth widely spaced enough for my hair (1/2"; most wide toothed combs are about 1/4"). Love it! I also have an MP BBB brush that I use a few times a week, and love that as well. I use a TT as needed for detangling, but I tend to use the comb more often for whatever reason.

lunalocks
June 8th, 2012, 03:20 PM
BASS brush with wood teeth. I brush at night, mostly to stimulate my scalp, after combing with my wide, plastic comb. I have wood combs, but they are not completely smooth, so am going back to my plastic (no seams) wide tooth combs.

dollyfish
June 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I use a boar bristle brush. My hair is incredibly thick, so even wide toothed combs tend to snag. I only detangle with my fingers at this point, but I brush my hair before bed every night and again in the morning, and my hair has never been softer! My hair used to be coarse, but now it's soft and smooth :)

ravenheather
June 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I use a tangle teezer and a wood comb from heavenly harvest.

Amber_Maiden
June 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm a Tangle Teezer girl! :)

elbow chic
June 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I have a Madora comb from George Micheal's line of products, which I LOVE. I lost it for a couple days and tried to get by with a cheap drugstore comb. Let me tell you how happy I was to find my good comb again! Worth every bit of the thirty bucks I paid for it and I am a cheapskate about most things.

Also have a Conair metal-bristle cushion brush. Sometimes it's just the thing.

And a BBB from Sally's, which does nothing for me. It's just not stiff enough to accomplish anything.

braidgirl22
June 8th, 2012, 11:25 PM
My favorite is the wooden body shop comb because it don't get stuck in my hair like most brushes and has survived being dropped way longer than the one I used years ago the goody ouch less comb.I have only replace my comb once in like three years.

battles
June 8th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I only use a tangle teezer. Everything else snaps hairs like crazy. :(

palaeoqueen
June 10th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I rarely use a brush, in the shower I use a seamless plastic comb - just a cheap one from Boots. And I've just bought this for use at other times:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Oh6D%2BKaEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm pretty excited about it, I can't wait for it to get here.

Edit: It's ox horn with a sandalwood handle.

Zindell
June 15th, 2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.thebodyshop.se/MediaBinaryLoader.axd?MediaArchive_FileID=090e0a01-8ccd-4587-a71a-f77d9138cb3d&MediaArchive_Max_ImageWidth=250

The Body Shops wooden detangling comb ♥
I have several spread all around my house and one in my purse :D

DarkCurls
June 15th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I have a plastic wide-toothed comb. It's great, but nothing is gentler than... my fingers. So I finger-comb.

I hate brushes of all kinds.

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 15th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I only use wide tooth wood combs. I find that wood combs spread your natural oils more evenly on your hair. But I want to try a boar bristle brush soon.

I recently purchased a boar bristle brush, and I'm very glad I did! It really works great and make my hair super shiny:D

I like to brush it right before I go to bed, and so far I've seen a huge differance in my hair. Ever since I moved to utah my hair has felt dry and scratchy, but now that im brushing it, it has a nice soft feel to it.

SurferB
June 16th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Just got a new boar very soft brissle hair brush!! It works amazing!

meteor
June 17th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I've always loved wide-tooth combs (wood, horn, and even plastic). I recently threw away all my brushes, because I just don't need them. After months of using combs only, I've noticed my hair looks thicker and fuller, and I'm sure it's due to less breakage while combing.
It's purely my opinion, but if your hair is iii+ and/or curly, you should not use brushes much at all. I get serious breakage from using brushes (unless my hair is oiled and not freshly washed). BBB is a great "volumizing" tool for thin hair though.

Ookami
June 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
moved from brushes to tight tooth combs to now plastic wide tooth combs... will probably go for long wide tooth wood comb when I find one I like...

ApatheticFairy
June 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I've been finger-combing and only using a BBB to smooth up my buns.

I just got a horn comb from Quecraft, so I'll start with that as soon as it's in.

Is there any pros/cons for bone/horn versus wood combs?

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Horn combs would be subject to breaking/splintering if dropped.

Wood combs might need to be kept from getting wet.

I think I'd go with wood over horn, provided, of course, that all seams were smooth.

SurferB
June 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
My brush definitely gives a softer look to my hair. Wow, it's only been days. My hair feels happy ^_^

gonzobird
June 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Mason Pearson wide tooth. Best. Comb. Eeeevvvvveeer.

Covet
June 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
My favourite by far is the TT, it really detangles my dry, bleach damaged, curly hair effortlessly! I'm so happy I found it. I use a wide tooth comb after I detangle with the TT for scritching. I know a fine tooth comb is suggested but there is no way I could get that through my thick curls. Let's pray I don't get lice lol.

Humbug454
June 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Used to use a wide toothed wooden comb but switched over to the Tangle Teezer recently, not sure if I'll stay with it though - I still have some damaged ends which are a bit fragile and I'm not sure if the TT is causing breakage, I can't tell!

Tristania
June 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Could anyone recommend a wide tooth comb in either bone or wood? I've looked at a few online, but in the pictures they seem to be quite rough between the teeth. So basically I'm looking for one with really smooth teeth..? :D

Clytemnestra
June 18th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I've been using the seamless comb I purchased at tenderheaded.com and was bummed they are no longer in business as I wanted a spare and it's been a great comb. So I am going to try the Mason Pearson rake as they seem pretty similar and has good reviews.

LaFlor
June 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
I've been using a wide tooth comb since I joined here and I also have a BBB that I never really use.

But I have to wonder what exactly is so bad about the cushioned ball-point brushes? I have avoided them because everyone says to but I'm not sure why? I used one everyday in highschool and had the most amazing hair with very little damage or breakage. I also was watching some youtube videos of longhairs that still use them.
I miss mine dearly and I am tempted to buy one again... please talk me away from it!

JellyBene
June 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
I only ever use my Tangle Teezer and my BBB!

~honeyflower~
June 22nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I use my wooden comb for tangles and bbb for silky soft hair. Great combination!

Inozz
June 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I've been using a ball-point brush but I think I need a wood comb after this thread. I have a BBB I picked up years ago but rarely use it. I'm going to start using it more now.

Rufflebutt
June 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I use a boar bristle brush and a wide tooth comb. I use the comb for de-tangling. And the brush distributes oils and cleans dust from my hair I love it.

Vanille_
June 26th, 2012, 12:20 PM
But I have to wonder what exactly is so bad about the cushioned ball-point brushes? I have avoided them because everyone says to but I'm not sure why? I used one everyday in highschool and had the most amazing hair with very little damage or breakage. I also was watching some youtube videos of longhairs that still use them.
I miss mine dearly and I am tempted to buy one again... please talk me away from it!

I'm with you. I bought a brush a few months ago. I tried it and it was the most amazing thing I've ever used. But according to LHC, it's not good for my hair :( So I gave it to my husband who likes when I scratch his back with it. It was this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00015HBEC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00).