PDA

View Full Version : Ever been told you're "too old" for long hair?

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Some 15-year-old total stranger just told me I'm too old for long hair. (I'm 45).

Here's where it was said: http://dailybooth.com/Psychotica/26252040

I disagree, but I wonder, what do you think? And has anyone ever told YOU that you are too old for long hair?

sharonluvscats
June 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Not yet. I'm only 32 though. I would go my hair even longer as a big FU. I think that this whole idea that a woman over 40 is supposed to have short hair is ridiculous.

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I may be weird (okay, I know I am weird), but I've always been impressed by seeing long hair on either gender of any age. I have often complimented total strangers on their long hair, a few of them being much older women with lovely long silver or white hair.

Madora
June 7th, 2012, 04:00 PM
My, my, my, a 15 year old is SO experienced and knows you're "too old" for long hair!

My stars, such a profound statement! NOT!

MintChocChip
June 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM
There's a woman who lives near me (I'm guessing she might be in her sixties) who has the most beautiful silvery hair that's about tailbone length I think. She looks gorgeous with it. I agree with sharonluvscats the idea that women over a certain age can't have long hair is absurd. Also, that girl was completely rude and unnecessary! I don't see why people feel it is their right to be so antagonistic over the internet. :(

kitschy
June 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I'm not sure about the video, but you are awesome!

Amygirl8
June 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I sincerely apologize for my generation.
Well, they're a little older than me, but still.

Anybody at any age can rock long hair.
I don't care who they are.

Me being the age I am have a long way to go before I start receiving those sorts of comments, but that doesn't change the fact that it's inconsiderate and disrespectful (this going with the mentality of 'respect your elders'). Your hair is awesome and who cares what anyone else thinks.

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've been told that my short hair was more "appropriate for adult life":rolleyes:.

OTT I love the hairstyle you have in that picture, it used to be my favourite before I could French plait.:)

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I'm not sure about the video, but you are awesome!

Yeah, it was a very silly video. Thanks for the compliment.

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
If their behaviour is an example of what "the kids" are like, then I definitely wouldn't want to fit in with them. :disgust:

Long hair is awesome at any age. :rockerdud

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM
If their behaviour is an example of what "the kids" are like, then I definitely wouldn't want to fit in with them. :disgust:

I know a lot of kids, because of my own seven kids of varying ages, and none are anywhere near as rude as that girl was.

No doubt - I sure don't want to fit in with that kind of kid, but anyway, her comment doesn't make sense to me. I have no desire to fit in with kids or any other particular age group. I am just being myself. I have friends of varying ages.

spidermom
June 7th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Nope. But I don't put myself into the public eye, either (except here).

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 04:29 PM
ETA: Was anyone else really confused by her hatred of punctuation?

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 04:32 PM

LOL! I noticed that, too. She "chastised" me for using a period followed by a question mark, but I saw that she failed to use an apostrophe in a conjunction, spelled a few words wrong, and had a complete absence of full-stops.

Amygirl8
June 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM

I certainly was :confused:

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
LOL! I noticed that, too. She "chastised" me for using a period followed by a question mark, but I saw that she failed to use an apostrophe in a conjunction, spelled a few words wrong, and had a complete absence of full-stops.

Heavens forfend she should ever meet an interrobang, what would she do!?

BlondieHepburn
June 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM
It is impossible to ever be too old to have long hair. It's like being too old to have lips. Just plain ridiculous. I always thought that the older ladies with long, flowing, grey hair looked much more beautiful and sophisticated than the ones with short, choppy numbers.

Also that kid's comments were extremely rude and displayed nothing but ignorance.

Your hair is lovely.

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Heavens forfend she should ever meet an interrobang, what would she do!?

That made my day! :) I've never heard of the word "forfend" nor of an "interrobang" before. Now, won't it be fun for me to see those very words somewhere soon?! ;)

There - I just interrobanged to forfend the need to wait for it to happen.

~honeyflower~
June 7th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Please don't think about cutting your hair, its very pretty. I think it's sad how there is an "age limit" to most people. But to me long hair is considered to be timeless. Appreciate what you have,its a beautiful gift.
:) ~honeyflower~

Mesmerise
June 7th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Ehh she's just too young to realise that "grown ups" don't always have to act grown up!! You're allowed to have fun at any age (and what a boring life we'd all have if we thought that past 30 we couldn't mess around making silly vids and playing with our hair!!).

I hate to think what that girl's life will be like when she hits 45!!

TazM
June 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I see a lot of women in their 40's and 50's with long hair who look so beautiful, I mean the reason I probably notice them in the first place is their beautiful long hair, I think if they had it all chopped off they would just blend in to the crowd. I don't know why we think women should cut their hair off after a certain age, is it like they're not allowed to look pretty and feminine anymore? Don't get me wrong, some women look beautiful with short hair, but I don't get why people feel the rule applies to everyone. As for teenagers picking on people, teenagers tend to make fun of things that are a bit different, that they don't see all the time, so if it wasn't long hair it would just be something else, if not you then the person who comes along after you, for something their wearing or whatever so you shouldn't really read much into it..

ozzy
June 7th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I find it somehow amusing that she thinks she has the right to decide when it's too old for someone to have long hair.
I personally think that it's never too old for anything. Do whatever you want, whenever you want.
Lovely hair btw!

browneyedsusan
June 7th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Not yet, but I just started growing out. I read the comments in the thread, but could not bring myself to look at the video.

Do not listen to that ignorant child. She is young and inexperienced. :lala:She'll grow out of it.

You have a lovely head of hair. Keep it until you're 100, please.

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Not yet, but I just started growing out. I read the comments in the thread, but could not bring myself to look at the video.

Do not listen to that ignorant child. She is young and inexperienced. :lala:She'll grow out of it.

You have a lovely head of hair. Keep it until you're 100, please.

Thank you. I have no plans to cut my hair. Oh, and the video is just me lip-syncing to a song by Blondie while combing my hair and putting it in a semi-ponytail. Really nothing that should offend anyone.

leslissocool
June 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Wow, I am so sorry you had to deal with that! How rude!

I'm still very young, so we'll see. I am NOT planning to cut my hair short again, ever :).

constructamane
June 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I haven't been told.....YET! I am 58 and I am growing out my highlights and growing my hair. I think your hair is BEAUTIFUL! There is a thread here on Hilary Clinton, and her growing her hair...YOU SHOULD READ WHAT THE WASHINGTON POST said about older woman and long hair!!!
I seems as if once you have reached a certain age, in this "ageless" society, you should just drop off the edge of the earth, because you no longer have the right to wear your hair, clothes, etc the way other younger people do........its like society says you are now sexLESS, old, and should wear pantsuits, short, permed hair, and look like you are ready for a nursing home! SAD, very sad that a 15 year old feels this way!

lunalocks
June 7th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Yes, by my wicked aunt, 15 years ago, when my hair was only BSL.

Yozhik
June 7th, 2012, 05:29 PM
It makes me so angry when I hear something like this -- I think comments similar to the one made by that girl to you is why my mother cut her lovely long hair when she was 55. :(

I remember at that age having a very black and white view of life, though -- she probably doesn't know how to explain things outside her realm of experience or knowledge of what "should" or "shouldn't" be done, and wants to put everyone into neat little boxes . . . (into which no one actually fits)

Also, may I say that this photo (http://dailybooth.com/Psychotica/26080945) is awesome?

browneyedsusan
June 7th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Oh, Hey! The video is of YOU, and it's really cute! I expected to see the ding-dong teenager... :rolleyes:

Rock on!

Ephemeral
June 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM
My ex-MIL was in her 70's and had gorgeous waist length, silver hair. Long hair on anyone, of any age should be admired. The little girl needs to grow up!! Your hair is beautiful and I wish mine were that long.

Amapola
June 7th, 2012, 05:32 PM
And I suppose the Age Police will be along shortly to make me cut my hair? :confused: :D

I think it's hilarious that people will try and decide for someone else how long their hair should be or what kind of clothes they wear. (The old "that shirt is too young for you" sort of silliness.) It is none of their darn business. Obviously the teenager that made the comments needs to get a life. There are far more interesting things to do than try and make someone feel bad for having long hair, and hopefully that person will make an effort to find them.

RitaCeleste
June 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM
The poor thing probably fried hers and had to chop it all off. There is nothing wrong with long hair. I'm 38 myself and I don't see many people in my age group who have decided they need to shop in the old people section of major department stores. I suppose 40 is a day away from the old folks home to some kids. I see more people in the 45 to 30 age groups as on purpose not doing what is socially acceptable as far as styles go. Am I too old for blue hair? Probably, would it stop me if I really wanted it? Not really!:D

constructamane
June 7th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Amapola....age police...love it!!!!

Amapola
June 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Amapola....age police...love it!!!!

Oh yes! :D they will be along any minute to make me wear something more appropriate for my age! But in the meantime I will do whatever I want... :D

rapunzelna
June 7th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I think the tide is turning on this issue. I use to get a fair number of comments about cutting my hair, and that's when it was BSL and I was five years younger. Now it's about tailbone length and I've hit the big 50 and honestly, I get more positive comments about my hair and that it makes me look younger.

Every woman loves a little positive reinforcement - so no plans to succumb to whatever remnants of the "age police" remain.

kurlylox
June 7th, 2012, 07:04 PM
The age police better not want me to cut my hair.. Just because I am 56 !!!!

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM
The age police apparently don't know MaryJane Butters, born May 6, 1953.

http://www.kasshall.com/storage/MJFC.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1338359066276

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/magazine.asp

browneyedsusan
June 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
CanadaSquirrel, that magazine and the women in it are fabulous! --just sayin' :)

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I would've told this person to mind their own business.

Die
June 8th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I'm 31, and I've always thought that long, white hair was beautiful. As is salt and pepper.

I thought that older women cut off their hair because they got sick of dealing with it--at least that's what the ones I've spoken to have told me. I didn't know there would be social pressure to cut my hair because of my age as I got older as well the normal pressure I get.

Now there are some types clothing that only works well on younger people.

For instance, before the age of 25, I got out of my "goth" phase, because I've seen older women who dressed goth, and I decided it would not be flattering on someone who was over-weight like me. I'll occasionally dress that way a little, but I don't do it every day the way that I used to. I don't judge others for wearing it if it makes them happy, but I feel like I'm past that part of my life now. I'm no longer an angsty young woman. Now I'm happy and I wear colors. I tend to wear dark colors, because they look good on me, but I don't wear all black, and my lip-stick is usually pink or coral now. Only occasionally is it bright red, and it's never black anymore.

Belly-showing shirts are okay if you are comfortable in them, but I won't wear them as I've gained weight and gotten stretch-marks. I don't think I look good on them.

And my clothing and make-up is going to get less severe as I get wrinkles.

I *do* still wear t-shirts with cartoon characters on them, though. They make me happy. They are comfortable. I refuse to give them up.

I'm young enough that most of the grief I get with regards to clothing or hair is that I'm not "fashionable." I don't give a flying (*@! about fashion. I wear it if it's comfortable, pretty, and flattering. And I love my long hair. It's easier (for me) to take care of than short hair and it looks pretty. I don't care if this new cut is fashionable. When I am a corpse, you may chop off my hair. Not before.

What really annoys me is the praise I get when something I bought is very fashionable. For the last time I DON'T CARE!!!!!! I only notice fashion in that when something is in style, it's a lot easier to find.

Unzadi
June 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Tell the silly kid that you're old enough to wear your hair however you want it. That's one of the perks of being a grownup.

nobeltonya
June 8th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I guess that's one benefit of it for me, b/c I look like 18.. lol :p Wow, if I cut it, I'd look like 12 or something.. :rolling:

Snippety
June 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I reckon she's just parroting what she's heard on those dreadful make-over shows where they routinely cut women's hair short and dye the hell out of it as part of the "beautifying" process. A lot of people asked if I was going to cut my hair when I was pregnant, and then when I got to 40 there was another flurry of people asking. I'm 45 next birthday so expecting some more :p Sticking two fingers up at mainstream perceptions of beauty is one of the main things that gets me through the periodic urge to cut. I'm just contrary !

Also if you look at her own page there she doesn't seem to be the most cheerful character ever. Maybe she just felt the need to bring someone else down with her :confused:

Aggemam
June 8th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I told one of my best friends I'm going to grow my hair waist length and she said she thought I was too old for that... I'm 29 and so is she..... I obviously just ignored that comment!!

Tota
June 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I'm 28 and I heard this soooo many times it just got old. My mum and grandmum told me this, and my best friend who is 28 too. Something like "when are you going to act like a grown up and cut your hair?" Seriously, wtf?

faellen
June 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
No, but I'm only 25.

I LOVED your reply to that duckfaced idiot on there!:

"And, hey, @DesertMist, when you've had seven children and raise your family by correcting the grammatical errors of doctors, come talk to me about "fitting in" with stereotyped age groups, how long you should wear your hair, and how many punctuation marks are appropriate to use in silly internet sites where people hide behind pseudonyms. "

Pure genius!

hazelscythe
June 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
How rude! It's nobody's business how long you chose your hair to be.
My mom is 43 and her hair is waist lengh. She had it past her hips up until her thirties.

Suze2012
June 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I haven't yet been told I'm too old for long hair...I;m waiting for it though! lol!
I'm 43..and always have been a bit of a rock chick..

The vid was silly..and a laugh...it's obvious! :)
..and i dance around sometimes in front of my living room mirror..with..er..I don't have a hairbrush anymore so I use my tv remote! Haha!

You're not too old for long hair..
Cos if you are then I am..and I'm not damn well having it cut for some little 15 year old!!! Lol!

He was having a bad day for some reason..you got the brunt..others will have as well. Twit!

Signed 'the 43yo who still gets wolf whistles from men young enough to be her son...(which worries me slightly! haha!)

Amber_Maiden
June 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM

I agree completely.

GlennaGirl
June 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM
You know, I've only ever (grammar?) been told this by one person, my sister. And the weird thing is, she mostly said it when I was in my 20s. She would tell me my "long" hair was "silly" on a "grownup." By the way, we're not talking actually long. The very longest it ever was during that period was APL, and usually it was shorter.

I don't hold it against my sister because everything else about her is awesome. We're best friends.

Nobody else has ever made that comment to me, even though I'm much older now.

JuniperBerry
June 8th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Tia2010
June 8th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I don't think anyone has ever outright said, "you're too old for that" They may have and I just blocked that from my mind :p ... but it was kind of implied that I should get it cut.

The sad part is all of my friends over 40 are opting for the typical bob cut. Almost like a rite of passage into 'older age' I refuse to do it just because I reach a number someone else decided was the cut off for sexy, long hair.

Zesty
June 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM
How rude. No one is too old to wear their hair in a way that makes them happy. And YOUR hair is gorgeous at that.

CanadaSquirrel
June 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
So many things in this thread make me want to quote and directly comment back, but I've not got time right now. Maybe later. For now, I want to say a huge thank you to you all who've commented.

I get so many compliments from people in real life, total strangers even, about my hair. I suspect a bit of jealousy on the part of that child making the rude comments. And like someone else mentioned in here getting wolf whistles by young men, well, I don't get that, but on DailyBooth (which is the place where that rude girl commented), Facebook, and another message board where pictures are posted, I've gotten countless private messages from guys who are total strangers, some as young as 20, saying things like, "You're beautiful," so that's kind of the equivalent of a wolf-whistle I guess. LOL!

Most importantly, though, my man thinks I'm the finest thing he ever did see, and for that I am grateful, especially in contrast to the jerk I was with for 18 years who regularly reminded me how ugly he thought I was. HA! And you should see HIM now - baldo ugly-o!

elbow chic
June 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Same people who say "you're too insert X quality for that!" are the ones who complain about how boring older/female/married/whatever people are. :shrug:

It doesn't even matter that she's fifteen-- if she's sixty and limits herself like that she'll probably be boring... and bored.

Alun
June 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Only my mum has ever said that I'm too old for long hair. And she doesn't like long hair atall on anyone of either gender or any age group, so that makes it really persuasive ... not!

onlyforhim
June 9th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Oh my God you have very beautiful hair. please don't cut it.
I always begged my mother to grow hair.. she has (boy cut) hair and seh says short hair makes a woman look more elegant...
:(
I rather have beautiful hair than look elegant...
in fact a beautiful updo is way more elegant than a very short hair...but oh well this society and beauty is in the eye of the beholder
But don't give an ear to a person who will become 20 years old one day and wish from their heart to have half as healthy hair as yours

red-again
June 9th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I like the way she corrects your use of a full stop and a question mark but then further down the comments says you are to old whereas it should be too old!
I am 39 and my hair is APL/ BSL at the moment. I will be over 40 therefore before reaching my goal, bring it on I say! I have never followed the usual/ expected route! And I really don't want the style my mum, my aunt (x3) and seemingly every woman over 55 seems to have, no way!
When that girl gets to your age, she will realise she doesn't feel or want to act that age and will understand finally - or maybe she will grow old and fit the usual boring pattern. Either way you carry on!

Rosetta
June 9th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I seems as if once you have reached a certain age, in this "ageless" society, you should just drop off the edge of the earth, because you no longer have the right to wear your hair, clothes, etc the way other younger people do........its like society says you are now sexLESS, old, and should wear pantsuits, short, permed hair, and look like you are ready for a nursing home!
So true!!
There are constantly articles & comments in the media (for example) ridiculing women who "try to look younger", be it the clothes they use, hairstyle, makeup etc., and how they should know better and dress or wear their hair "age-appropriately"... Jeez, didn't know there was an official age limit on such things! If there is, they should label those clothes (etc) with it :p

Even though I'm not of a very advanced age yet, I'm sure some people think those things of me, too, though I'm not "trying" anything, just being myself.

eicamawa
June 9th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I'm almost 20, and I don't think anyone is to old for long hair as long as you take care of it. Not to young for it either :)

bte
June 9th, 2012, 05:19 AM
My, my, my, a 15 year old is SO experienced and knows you're "too old" for long hair!

My stars, such a profound statement! NOT!

There is the sign for the teenager:
Teenagers, Tired Of Being Harassed By Your Parents? Act Now!! Move Out, Get A Job, Pay Your Own Way While You Still Know Everything!

Lots of 15 year olds are quite convinced that they know everything, and this one seems to belong to that group.

And before any of the many teenage people in this community feel that I might be making fun of them, I'd like to say that for every knowall there are many more who are kind and thoughtful!

Suprisingly, nobody has told me I'm too old for long hair, even though I break that other even more widely held rule that men who have started to lose their hair on top shouldn't grow the rest long. I am obviously far too bad a case for them to bother with.

Mya
June 9th, 2012, 05:46 AM
I think some people (especially young ones) feel the need to be judgemental and all old fashioned moralistic because it makes them feel like they are more "grown up".

I think the no-long-hair moralism itself comes from the old chauvinistic times. Since hair is considered a woman's best ornament, who doesn't keep it short or in a bun is seen as a "show off", opposed to the role model of the modest woman. Beyond a certain (quite young) age or if you have children, they feel you can't be a woman in a sexual way. You are a mom! You are a grown up woman! You are not allowed to be beautiful anymore! How dare you! Lol that's so stupid :rolling:

My cousin has long hair and, years ago, her husband once told her "why so long hair? You are not fifteen anymore!" in front of me, and I replied "you're such a old fart!". He's known as "the old fart" ever since. :D

I don't see why people feel it is their right to be so antagonistic over the internet. :(
I agree!

CanadaSquirrel
June 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Even though I'm not of a very advanced age yet, I'm sure some people think those things of me, too, though I'm not "trying" anything, just being myself.

"I'm not "trying" anything, just being myself."

That is EXACTLY it. I am just being myself. I've always been a bit "weird", and all of my closest friends are like that, too, so to me, weird is normal.

CanadaSquirrel
June 9th, 2012, 09:05 AM
There is the sign for the teenager:
Teenagers, Tired Of Being Harassed By Your Parents? Act Now!! Move Out, Get A Job, Pay Your Own Way While You Still Know Everything!

Lots of 15 year olds are quite convinced that they know everything, and this one seems to belong to that group.

And before any of the many teenage people in this community feel that I might be making fun of them, I'd like to say that for every knowall there are many more who are kind and thoughtful!

Suprisingly, nobody has told me I'm too old for long hair, even though I break that other even more widely held rule that men who have started to lose their hair on top shouldn't grow the rest long. I am obviously far too bad a case for them to bother with.

I love this post! And hey, have you heard of Steve Earle? He's one of my favorite musicians. Just saw him in concert a few days ago here in BC, matter of fact. He's 56 years old and still rockin' with long hair despite baldness on top, and in my opinion, he looks great because of it!

AmericanWoman
June 9th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I'm 55 and no one has ever had the nerve to tell me I'm too old for long hair.. A 15 yo's opinion to the contrary would hardly shatter my world, anyway. Lol

GlennaGirl
June 9th, 2012, 11:57 AM
So true!!
There are constantly articles & comments in the media (for example) ridiculing women who "try to look younger", be it the clothes they use, hairstyle, makeup etc., and how they should know better and dress or wear their hair "age-appropriately"...

Yeah, and then the same article writers will turn around next time and say we daren't look old, that x, y and z hair, makeup or clothing is to be ridiculed for "making us look old," and we're attacked for "giving up" if we don't follow various trends.

I mean I'm confused. Which is it, media? :cool:

Aveyronnaise
June 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I love this post! And hey, have you heard of Steve Earle? He's one of my favorite musicians. Just saw him in concert a few days ago here in BC, matter of fact. He's 56 years old and still rockin' with long hair despite baldness on top, and in my opinion, he looks great because of it!
I have not a lot to add to this but , i love steve earle and his wispy ole' pate :)

CanadaSquirrel
June 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I have not a lot to add to this but , i love steve earle and his wispy ole' pate :)

Well put! "Wispy ole' pate"! :D

AnqeIicDemise
June 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I've been told I'm too old for bangs, but no one's commented on the length. Yet.

Bene
June 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I suppose if I were posting pics and vids of myself romping around with my hair, I'd receive SOME negative feedback as well. When you put yourself in the public eye, you lose your right to friendly comments. And not everyone is going to think you're cute/entertaining/adorably quirky.

It's the nature of the beast.

GlennaGirl
June 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Some 15-year-old total stranger just told me I'm too old for long hair. (I'm 45).

I disagree, but I wonder, what do you think? And has anyone ever told YOU that you are too old for long hair?

Geez, I just watched the vid (couldn't before for some reason) and you were just fooling around and having fun. Some of the catty remarks from teens on the picture page are a little surprising. o_o

I do know my oldest son (he's now 26) HATED when I did or wore or said anything, and I mean anything at all that was current to people under 20 (this while I was still in my 20s, BTW). I think some kids just need to compartmentalize everyone in order to feel secure.

When they grow up a little, these kids will realize fun doesn't die when you hit 21. :p

CanadaSquirrel
June 11th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Geez, I just watched the vid (couldn't before for some reason) and you were just fooling around and having fun.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious I was goofing around. If anyone thought I was serious they have quite simply misunderstood me. :)

Unofficial_Rose
June 11th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I think the no-long-hair moralism itself comes from the old chauvinistic times. Since hair is considered a woman's best ornament, who doesn't keep it short or in a bun is seen as a "show off", opposed to the role model of the modest woman. Beyond a certain (quite young) age or if you have children, they feel you can't be a woman in a sexual way. You are a mom! You are a grown up woman! You are not allowed to be beautiful anymore! How dare you! Lol that's so stupid :rolling:

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head there. And put it so eloquently.

duchesswannabe
June 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM

More seriously is the sense I get that a woman isn't supposed to be anything but useful once she get to be a certain age, and that fun for everyone else comes first, and she last.

Not in my corner of the world.

constructamane
June 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I can tell you that TLHC, and this thread is doing a lot to inform ,educate, and encourage dialog about long hair, aging and self esteem that EVERYONE at ANY AGE can benefit from knowing...because we will all get old(er) at some point.
I have to know that I am worthwhile and even attractive with having my hair any way that I feel makes me look and feel good about myself at ANY age.No one likes to be pigeon holed into a certain way of living/being at any age....and YES, I am also somewhat of a rebel, and I think it is healthier in the long run....I want to be happy at any age!
FYI......I was in chaurch this Sunday and did a visual survey...there was only 1 person of the 40 and over persuasion that had "longer" hair, and her hair was probably APL!!!

jeanniet
June 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM
No, which kind of surprises me, although I wouldn't care if someone did. I'm too old to give a rat's hiney about what other people think. :D

letibear
June 11th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I disagree with the 15 y/o, and she needs to learn "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Too old my foot!

lolot
June 11th, 2012, 10:50 PM
People like her disgust me a lot, i dont care shes a teen, when i was 15 i never told to anyone things like that, she thinks she is so special but she is just a no one and a shallow kid. I feel very sorry for her.

roxee
June 12th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I think you are only become a grown up when you realise you're always gonna be a kid at heart :)

misspurdy06
June 12th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Nope but I've been told I'm too fat for long hair.

CanadaSquirrel
June 12th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Now, that's horrible!!! :mad: :( Whoever said that needs serious help for their psychotic insultiveness to their fellow human being.

Babyfine
June 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Oddly enough no one has ever told me I'm too old for long hair(at 56) but I have had a few close people tell me my hair is too thin to be long(never mentioned age,though)
My 16 year old son has told me he hopes I never cut my hair all short like all the other older ladies-he likes it long!

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Since when does a 45 year old ever even consider listening to a 15 year old. In their eyes, you're ancient and they think they'll never become 45 themselves. Just consider the source, and forget it.

Then carry on.

No, I've never had anyone tell me I'm too old for anything, but I have had the comment starting in my 30s of, "Don't you think it's time to cut your hair?" By a nasty short-haired, dumpy, beatch of a lady. I would never even invite her to dinner at my house. I ain't workin' my arse off for a slob like that. [shudder] I replied while all about the chat circle seated around a fire in the backyard fell silent and stared at me, "No." That's all I said. That was it. End of discussion, cuz I'm not discussing my hair with anyone. It's no one's business how I choose to adorn myself.

I've also had other women tell me that men will find me more attractive if I had shorter hair, and a few other delightful comments.

I just ignore them, and do what the heck I want. This includes my family, too.

heidi w.

Changling
June 12th, 2012, 09:24 AM
PSH! Don't listen to HER, she's just a stupid teenager! (not dissing teens btw, just saying that this one is stupid) I could write a giant, dictionary-sized BOOK of all the stupid and downright WRONG things I've heard teenagers say.

That being said, both of my sisters are teenagers, and they and (some of) their friends are intelligent, thoughtful, polite, and sensitive. So please don't think I have anything against teenagers. They are simply capable of great kindness and wisdom AS WELL AS great cruelty and idiocy.

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Oddly enough no one has ever told me I'm too old for long hair(at 56) but I have had a few close people tell me my hair is too thin to be long(never mentioned age,though)
My 16 year old son has told me he hopes I never cut my hair all short like all the other older ladies-he likes it long!

There's always a guy around who thinks it's cool. Go kid!
heidi w.

longcurlygirl<3
June 12th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Don't listen to her. You have beautiful hair plus your personality :) no one should ever be "too old" for long hair that's ridiculous, but sadly, our society.

Topaz
June 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM
My mother was the only one who ever complained to my face about my long hair and told me I was "too old" to wear it so long --- and my hair was not even quite bra strap length then! She started when I got married at age 21 because as a married woman I should "grow up" and she never stopped until she died when I was 42. And I do mean she NEVER STOPPED! Every single time I saw that woman she'd make some kind of nasty comment about my hair. She was and always had been a very toxic individual.

At work all the "professional" women (in my office anyway) have what I call helmet-heads. You know that hair style that's about earlobe length, smoothed completely by hair spray, and curls under just a bit. My friend was secretary to our Division Director and told me once that the Director told her that if I would just cut my hair and look more professional, I could really 'go places' in the office. Like my entire career depended upon the length of my hair! (It was still shorter than bra strap length then.) And no, I never cut it.

That Director retired a few years ago but came back last year for someone else's retirement luncheon. She saw me and her eyes immediately traced the line of my now almost tailbone length hair and she said, "Oh, are you retired now?" When I said no, that I was still working there, she got a look on her face like she'd just sucked on a lemon and ignored me for the remainder of the luncheon.

As others on LHC have so elegantly put it --- I'm not here to decorate anyone else's world. At age 54 I'm old enough and wise enough to know what I like and what I don't like, and confident enough to not give a flying pickle if I fit into anyone else's world view of what is right and proper, or what is fashionable or not. I make myself happy, and if that bothers someone --- especially some wet-behind-the-ears know-it-all adolescent--- well :patrol:

Angela_Rose
June 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Teenage girls are possibly the cruelest, most ignorant creatures on this earth.

Your hair is gorgeous and I seriously think some kids ought to be put in military school, and then finishing school so they learn some manners.

AutumnLocks
June 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
No one has told me yet that I am too old to have long hair. If they did I would either tell them that they could jolly well mind their own business or ignore them. How I wear my hair is none of anyones business but me and my husbands!

lapushka
June 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Oh well, who is she in the big scheme of things? Nobody really. I think that's how you should treat those kinds of comments. She doesn't know you and thinks it's alright to judge you based on a tiny bit (video) she's seen of you. If she knew more about you, and looked around your profile and blog a bit, I'm sure she'd be a little more reserved with her comments. But then people like that, who comment like that, don't take the time and just spew their hatred around. Don't let it get to you.

Silverbrumby
June 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Teenagers love to push buttons. I think it's in their job description.

cobden 28
June 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I'm 56, have waist-length hair and even my husband of 38+ years tells me he thinks I ought to have my hair cut short, layered and have blonde streaks put in!

I've told him it's my hair and entirely up to me how I choose to wear my hair, and none of his business!

akilina
June 12th, 2012, 11:26 AM
You are SO not too old!!

I don't think anyone is too old for long hair. I think the only point where long hair becomes too much is when there is hardly any hair there and then it just looks bad.
It is very true though in some peoples faces that long hair will drag them down more but this is often not the case. There are many "older" (i dont think anyone is really that old) I guess women on here with lovely tailbone hair and it looks great on them :)

It is funny though, As a teenager and child, it seems like 30 year olds are "OLD" Once they grow up and become an adult for me old has been pushed back to probably 80 :)

Alun
June 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM

I was really saddened when Francis Rossi of Status Quo cut off his ponytail. IMHO short hair never improves baldness.

ETA: Wildly irrelevant, but Status Quo, one of my favourite bands, are from Southend, Essex, England, and so is Rossi's ice cream. There were rumours for years that lead singer Francis Rossi was heir to the ice cream business, but it turned out not to be true, as per Snopes.

Not calling you fat, but honestly short hair is not a good complement to a round face. Don't cut it.

Palla
June 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
My mother. All the time.

The way I see it, you're never too old to be AWESOME. :)

Palla
June 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Not calling you fat, but honestly short hair is not a good complement to a round face. Don't cut it.

TRUTH. I have a round face, and a hair stylist talked me into cutting my hair a few inches above my shoulder back-in-the-day.

SO HORRIBLE. The pictures of me back then make me cringe even today.

Long hair is fantastic when you've got a round face!

MrsJacks
June 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
My grandmother has been telling me since I was twenty-five that I was too old for long hair. In fact, when I was in high school I got it cut and styled at jawbone length. Now every time my grandmother comes across a photo of me with short hair she sighs and says, "and this is when Jennifer's hair looked its best". Ugh!

GlennaGirl
June 13th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! And that person is too stupid to be handing out opinions. :p In fact, such a thing could be dangerous. :D

Keep your hair, stuff the friend!

Elanadi
June 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I have been told many times that I'm too old for long hair. Apparently, somewhere around 25 is the magic age where we are supposed to cut our hair and be matronly. I think that is stupid, and I will have long hair at any age if that's what I want. Besides, I think it's super cool to see really long hair on older women, maybe because it's not as common.

Rini
June 14th, 2012, 04:43 AM
No, I have not been told that I am too old for long hair (yet!).....but I have been told I am too young for silver hair :rolleyes: Can't win can we??

OP's hair is so beautiful btw :inlove:

ariesfairies
June 14th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Rubbish! I've only seen mature women with hair as long as yours, the teen knows nothing!
And thats probably one weird 15 year old commenter to begin with.. all the ones around here never grow past bra-strap length because of I suppose, addictions to getting pampered at the Hairdressers. If a girl wanted long hair now, they're buying hair extensions (yuck and not cool in my opinion!)

She may be thinking more about your pigtails in the the picture though.. I know lots of of people think you're too old to wear pigtails once you hit age 12. Which is sad because I adore pigtails and I'm 18 now and I'd wear them to whatever age finishes my fancy!

Miss Unruh
June 14th, 2012, 07:34 AM
So, I'm 14 and I don't think anybody can be too old for long hair. There are some hairstyles you can be too old for (or too young however you want to see that).
Actually some of my friends said I'm too young for long hair, when I told them how long I want my hair.

misspurdy06
June 14th, 2012, 02:42 PM
TRUTH. I have a round face, and a hair stylist talked me into cutting my hair a few inches above my shoulder back-in-the-day.

SO HORRIBLE. The pictures of me back then make me cringe even today.

Long hair is fantastic when you've got a round face!
My face isn't round. It's diamond shaped. Granted a short diamond but angular none the less.

Not the point I know. Just clarifying.

eresh
June 14th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yes...but mostly by women who just had children.
I'm 36 and loving long hair, I don't care what they think.

Nevermind and just be yourself :)

Sunsailing
June 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I would never worry about what someone online says about you. You don't know them and they don't know you. Why would you care about what someone you don't know says about you?

I have been told in REAL life that I'm too old for long hair. If I cared what they thought, then maybe it would bother me :)

Not Lynn Merely
June 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Too old? Ridiculous. You are just too married or too much a mother! *joking*

Everyone knows this is how it works:
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1990-12-15/

CanadaSquirrel
June 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM

The 15-year-old child does not upset me. I found her comment to be strange, and thought it would be interesting to see if anyone had ever heard anything like "you're too old to have long hair". It has indeed been an interesting discussion and I thank you all for your comments.

Yes, and it could also have been in reference to my ponytail, but either way, she was quite simply rude. I have known a few people like that in my lifetime, of varying ages. I'm not sure rudeness and age are necessarily intertwined.

CanadaSquirrel
June 17th, 2012, 11:44 PM
...Wildly irrelevant, but Status Quo, one of my favourite bands...

How cool! I know very few people who've even heard of them. The ex's dad had a few of their albums and I heard many of their songs. My favorite by them is:

Need Your Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrN8jRihpDI)

Rock on, dude!

Alun
June 18th, 2012, 01:30 PM
How cool! I know very few people who've even heard of them. The ex's dad had a few of their albums and I heard many of their songs. My favorite by them is:

Need Your Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrN8jRihpDI)

Rock on, dude!

I don't think they ever really broke into this side of the pond, but they were very big in the UK in their heyday, and unlike some they are still going strong. Nobody's died from an overdose, they haven't broken up, and they are still touring and recording.

Although I now live in the US, I am from Essex, the same county as Quo.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 21st, 2012, 09:58 PM
It hasn't happened to me - yet. Don't let them get to you. You have gorgeous thick hair. It doesn't take much for a 15 year old to think that someone is "too old".

I find that the older I get, the less I care about what others think. There are rude people everywhere.

froglet
July 21st, 2012, 10:20 PM
Whenever I read posts like these I'm always kind of shocked. Maybe my person puts off a type of "best think twice" energy, but I have never had someone volunteer such rude information. Not that I'm indicating that there is anything wrong with the op or the post, it just blows my mind is all.

My 65yo mother has waist length, silver hair that she wears in two low ponytails. She rocks that look! If anyone dared to comment, they would get the worst verbal butt whoopin' of their life. God help them... :lol:

Demi-Plum
July 21st, 2012, 10:54 PM
I think people who tell you you are too old to do something are either ignorant or just plain stupid. I think your hair looks wonderful and don't you dare cut it because of any age!

ahrph
July 21st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Huh, no one has ever said that to me, that I've noticed anyway. I doubt the length of my hair is the first thing they would notice though, I'm sure I have plenty of other goofy things going on.

And I have a 15 year old. I know how "smart" they are (or think they are).

CanadaSquirrel
July 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
And I have a 15 year old. I know how "smart" they are (or think they are).

I'm going through my third 15-year-old, and she, nor her two older sisters, although all such different personalities, and sometimes pretty darn "smart", too, ;) would never be so rude to an adult.

Going on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like it's not a very common thing for people to be told they are too old for any particular hair style. Just the odd rude and immature person out there seems to want to exert their rudeness and immaturity now and then.

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 12:24 AM
I saw that DailyBooth.

Was it your hairSTYLE, not length that she meant as young?

Or the "young" side ponytail and goofy fun video and facial expression?

With that said, long hair is thought of as a "younger" thing by some of society... whether or not this particular 15 year old was inferring that.

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Also, sites like DailyBooth tend to have a lot of teens.

Add to that being anonymous sites.

I really doubt a 15 year old person would come up to you in real life and say that.

Plenty would say something to their peers, but not some stranger a few times their age.

If you watch many YouTube videos, you'll see a lot of adults who are being goofy or who actually try to dress/act young. Some go with 1970s or 1980s looks. Others who are 30 something do the 'dance' challenge that generally 12 year old girls do. They get plenty of hate. Goofiness online tends to get hate.

The real world of adults tends to at least not outright say their thoughts to strangers... usually. That's something we can be glad about.

If it was 1950, I doubt internet users would act like they do today.

Nor would people be so into posting everything about themselves all the time online. Can you believe how much people feel it's necessary to put online about themselves--- 3833839893 Facebook profile photos, FourSquare check-ins of everywhere they go, Twitter tweets of every useless thing they say, pointless YouTube videos that go on and on, thousands of Pinterest pins. Internet people are pretty into themselves these days, thinking that other people even care.

A few decades ago, society wasn't quite so egotistical as a whole. :/

Diamond.Eyes
July 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
I usually hear it from senior ladies with short perms calling middle-aged, long-haired women things like "hippies" or "unsophisticated" :rolleyes:. I have personally never heard a younger person say that about someone before but I think it is a pretty rude comment no matter who it comes from. My grandmother is 56 and has 100&#37; white hair down to her hips and I think she looks amazing with it. I personally don't think anyone is too old for long hair unless they can no longer take care of it on their own. Do whatever makes you happy, people are much too critical these days... :(

Becky9679
July 22nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't have thought I was old enough to get people telling me I'm 'too old' for long hair but since some people in their late twenties or younger have said they've had it happen then maybe I've just been lucky never to have received these comments!

My great grandmother had very long hair her entire life (I'm told it was somewhere around knee length although she always wore it up) because she was of the Victorian generation and considered it 'proper' for a lady to have long hair. She died in her 80s without ever having cut it.

Just goes to show how notions of 'fashion' and 'acceptability' change over the years.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 22nd, 2012, 01:45 AM
Every time my mother sees me she goes into a great speech about how long hair doesn't suit me and how I would look so much better with it short, i.e. ear length or shorter- and how I'm "too old" to have long hair.

She has been telling me this since I was 20. When I was 20 I did cut my hair short to please her - which it did - but I was oh so miserable with short hair.

Goodness knows what she will say when she sees that I have stopped dying my hair AND I am growing it long as well.
The funny thing is that she herself wore her hair long(ish), APL until well into her 60's.

Why do we feel compelled to make our mothers happy? I guess that's another topic altogether...

So it's usually one of the first things she says whenever she sees me - and she's 88 now...sometimes there's no understanding of parents, lol... love her anyway!

prettykitty
July 22nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
I hate kids like that, little so-and-so! Bugger em all, I do what I want *flips age-inappropriate long hair*

CanadaSquirrel
July 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
I saw that DailyBooth.

Was it your hairSTYLE, not length that she meant as young?

Or the "young" side ponytail and goofy fun video and facial expression?

With that said, long hair is thought of as a "younger" thing by some of society... whether or not this particular 15 year old was inferring that.

I think she was whining about my hair STYLE, yes, but it got me thinking, too, about whether or not many people on here have heard complaints about their hair length in relationship to their age.

FrannyG
July 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Yes, I have been told that I'm too old for long hair since I turned about 30. Most of the people giving me that kindly advice are family members. Not my husband or kids though. They love my hair longer. Now I'm 51. So I figure I'm beyond caring what other people think.

ETA: The family members mean that my hair should be somewhere between chin and shoulder. Long to them means anything longer than that.

AutumnLocks
July 31st, 2012, 10:12 AM
No one has ever told me I am too old to have long hair. It's probably a good thing too...lol I do not suffer fools gladly. I think I'd tell that child that I was free, and over 21 and as soon as she/he was over that age they could do whatever they please as well. Until then I would invite them to shut their fresh mouth and not be talking junk to people they don't even know! But, that's just me....lol

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Pish posh, she knows NOTHING. I love long hair on anyone as long as it is healthy!! Keep rockin your long locks :)

millyaulait
July 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
I'm 22 & my Mum often tells me, 'Your hair is getting long...... You should really think about cutting that...' in a negative tone of voice. I JUST hit APL, crazy woman! :(

long&blonde
July 31st, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'm 57, soon to be 58, with hair to my waist. My hair had been lower "butt crack length", longest ever for me,till a salon trim of damage 5/2012. Honestly, the only comments I've ever had that I should cut my hair, I was too old for such long hair;were salon stylists. Who I definitely felt were just trying to hook me on a cut there that would make me a consistent regular trim customer. Even as the stylists lodly told me I should cut my long hair? The salon full of 70 and 80 year old,short haired ladies all hollered as one "No! Don't cut your hair!" I loved it. The stylist told me "all this hair doesn't make you look any younger,you know." I said "57 is 57, I wasn't hoping for younger, I was going for a more mystical,witch like effect." The stylist said "You don't want to look like a Hag!" I said "You say Hag as if its a bad thing!" The other ladies in the salon were laughing. I've had many a stranger stop me on the street and tell me "never cut your hair." And most of the ladies where I still get my roots dyed blonde, when I'm leaving in a french braid, they all tell me "never cut it." And they are in their 70s,80s,90s.

pseudonym
January 9th, 2024, 02:51 PM
Yes all the time, but only by women with short hair!

Lady Winchester
January 9th, 2024, 04:00 PM
Nope, but I don't look my age anyway, so perhaps that's why. Someone might comment on how long my hair's gotten, but they've never said that I was "too old" for long hair (not that I'd care, since it's my hair, I'll keep it long if I please, thank you very much). Someone in a pre-employment program once commented if it didn't hurt my head to wear my hair in ponytails all of the time (since she thought that this was I sign that I needed to get it cut, but didn't actually say it. She had her hair shoulder length, of course). I said no, since my hair's only medium thickness and not that heavy. I will never get an "old lady" hairstyle, since screw the "age appropriate" hairstyles. There are many older women in my neighborhood with long, curly gray hair (though I won't be one of them, since the minute it turns gray/white, I'm dyeing it with Natural Instincts in Medium Golden Brown, which is the closest to the color I have now, since if the blonde I dyed it in Grade 11 washed me out, so will the gray/white) and they look fine.

Für immer
January 16th, 2024, 03:34 PM
Never. But then again, I'm Swedish, and most people around here mind their own business. Like, you don't talk to strangers unless you have to. :lol:

SandyBottom
January 16th, 2024, 07:03 PM
Never. But then again, I'm Swedish, and most people around here mind their own business. Like, you don't talk to strangers unless you have to. :lol:

Lucky you! Around here (where I live) NOBODY minds their own business:laugh:

Wingspan
January 18th, 2024, 02:26 AM
That is just the weirdest thing to me. And such a modern thing to think because all throughout history women of all ages had long hair!

Nobody has ever said that to me, no. I do get compliments on my hair, however. I'm 48, but people always think I'm much younger. When I was 25 I was mistaken for a 15-year old, so it has always been that way.
It's not that I try to dress "young" either. I dress modestly, wear lots of dresses, skirts and blouses, and people have commented that I have a unique style. I do wear jeans and sneakers too, but who doesn't these days?

I always wanted to have long hair when I'm old, and now that I'm about hip length, I can safely say that I will have that unless something dramatic happens that is out of my control :D

If anyone ever said that to me, how would I reply? "I like my hair long and don't really care how other women prefer to wear their hair. My hair is my business and their hair is their business." With a smile. Or something along those lines.