PDA

View Full Version : Help! Scabby, itchy scalp!

Sheora
June 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I've been oil treating my hair for about a month now. I treat it and wash it about twice a week, never washing without a treatment. On Monday, my hair looked awful and had to be washed before we went out for the evening. I didn't have time to treat it, so I just washed it with shampoo without any oil. Ever since, my head has been itchy, scaly and covered in scabs. Is this normal if you wash without a treatment? Has the chemistry on my head changed that quickly?

If the shampoo is really this harsh, I've got to find a chemical free alternative. I tried washing with baking soda and vinegar, but it won't wash out the oil treatment. My hair is ridiculously fine, and if I don't wash out the oil it WILL show. I saw a few natural shampoo recipes, but they all used that natural soap you have to order online (which I wouldn't have a problem with, but they have a minimum order on those things and I'm not comfortable with shelling out 20 bucks to try something I may not even like).

Amanah
June 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Maybe you can try conditioner only washing, or using a shampoo with no sulfates?

CO washing can be very affordable.

Sheora
June 7th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Maybe you can try conditioner only washing, or using a shampoo with no sulfates?

CO washing can be very affordable.

Will that cleanse it? My hair is so fine even the littlest bit of grime shows horribly.

lapushka
June 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I've been oil treating my hair for about a month now. I treat it and wash it about twice a week, never washing without a treatment. On Monday, my hair looked awful and had to be washed before we went out for the evening. I didn't have time to treat it, so I just washed it with shampoo without any oil. Ever since, my head has been itchy, scaly and covered in scabs. Is this normal if you wash without a treatment? Has the chemistry on my head changed that quickly?

So why not go back to the way you were cleansing it, since that went without any kind of problem.

Tabitha
June 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Nightblooming Panacea (http://www.etsy.com/listing/98295274/panaceas-hair-salve-leave-in-conditioner) is very soothing on scabby patches of scalp. I use the Original blend. Bonus, it's also good on itchy patches on my hands, eczema/dermatitis.

Sheora
June 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM
So why not go back to the way you were cleansing it, since that went without any kind of problem.

Well, I want something that I can use without the oil and not have a problem. In case I have to skip a treatment again.

Amanah
June 8th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Will that cleanse it? My hair is so fine even the littlest bit of grime shows horribly.

This will definately cleanse your hair. Google for articles on CO washing for more details. Also, the best oil to message into your scalp is Jojoba as it best matches the naturals oils of your scalp.

There is also a thread on these boards that you can search for which discusses CO washing.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=218

CO wash thread

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2898

AutumnLocks
August 4th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I have discovered that if I do not rinse extremely well that my scalp gets sore, itchy, and scaby. I also find that if I am rough on my scalp with my hair accessories like combs, bun clips or jaw clips I get a sore, itchy, scaby scalp.

DinaAG
August 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
vinegar rinse it plz

mallorykay13
August 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
It sounds like psoriasis, but I doubt a product would do that. Does psoriasis run in your family at all?

louzen
August 7th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hi Sheora

Sounds like you're having some kind of reaction. I would like to ask:

* Are you using SLS shampoo? SLS is quite harsh on the skin, especially if it's sensitive to start with
* What oil are you using, and how long do you leave it on for?
* Has your scalp condition always been like this, or has it recently happened? If it's a recent thing, have you changed shampoos or hair products recently that you could be reacting to?
* Is your scalp also dry?

Arya
August 7th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Perhaps you're sensitive to the oil you're using?

louzen
August 7th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Perhaps you're sensitive to the oil you're using?

My thoughts as well :)