PDA

View Full Version : Chapstick on Hair?

evieisocoolike
June 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM
So now that I've got your attention, I would like to tell you how I came across this.

I was just about to wash my hair, but my lips were kind of chapped. So I reach for my Bead for Life shea butter peppermint lip balm, which I absolutely love. I check the ingredients (beeswax, shea butter, baobab oil, jojoba oil, peppermint oil, and tocopherol), and decide to put about a finger nail amount on one side on my hair. I figured 'What the heck, I'm washing soon anyway'. The result? Happy, well moisturized, shiny, tangle free, smooth and defined waves and curls :inlove: . Plus it is fair trade and smells beautifully of mint :cloud9:

My question is, what is tocopherol and what effect would it have on hair? Other than that mysterious ingredient, I would DEFINITELY recommend this to anyone. :D

joflakes
June 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Tocepherol is a form of vitamin E used in skincare products. I have no idea what it would do to your hair..but if it isn't hurting it it can't be all that bad?!

amberpotamus
June 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM
It's vitamin e--no worries there. I was under the impression that bees wax tends to build up on hair pretty quickly though.

evieisocoolike
June 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Tocepherol is a form of vitamin E used in skincare products. I have no idea what it would do to your hair..but if it isn't hurting it it can't be all that bad?!

Thanks for your quick reply! I figured it would be something along those lines, but I was just making sure. After all it has -ol so it's an alcohol. Right?

@amberpotamus , I'll look into that, but I guess if I use it pretty sparingly (only after co-washes, every 2-4 days), it would have a positive effect. Let's hope! It's awesome though! :crush:

joflakes
June 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I honestly have no idea further than that! Look here for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocopherol

meeliah
June 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I one time used chapstick as an emergency sunscreen. It worked great everywhere I applied it...just make sure to apply evenly. I had weird sun burns where I didn't apply.

evieisocoolike
June 7th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I one time used chapstick as an emergency sunscreen. It worked great everywhere I applied it...just make sure to apply evenly. I had weird sun burns where I didn't apply.

Do you think it might work similarly with hair? Hmmm. :ponder:

Amygirl8
June 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Sounds interesting =)
When I read the ingredients list, I'm surprised it wasn't also advertised as a hair-care product- all those wonderful oils and shea butter! :D
I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

evieisocoolike
June 7th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Sounds interesting =)
When I read the ingredients list, I'm surprised it wasn't also advertised as a hair-care product- all those wonderful oils and shea butter! :D
I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

My grandmother bought some for my mom and I, so I'm not sure where she got it. But since it's fair trade, I doubt it would be in stores. :shrug: You can get it here though: http://www.beadforlife.org/shea-products.html The website is acting up now, at least for me! ;)

jacqueline101
June 8th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Sounds interesting.

XcaliburGirl
June 8th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Cool idea, but it seems like it would get expensive to use every day. I wonder if you could find a skin or hair product with many of the same ingredients but a bigger container.

It's vitamin e--no worries there. I was under the impression that bees wax tends to build up on hair pretty quickly though.
That also occurred to me.

Carissamarie08
June 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Wouldn't it make your hair sticky-ish?

evieisocoolike
June 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
It doesn't seem to make it very sticky, and I probably wouldn't use it that often. You could make a variation of this in a big tub for yourself! I may make this for myself soon, but I would probably put beeswax as one of the last ingredients! :D Don't know where I could purchase the Baobab oil though, except Amazon. Pretty expensive, if I do say so myself. :ponder:

evieisocoolike
June 9th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I would need to find out the parts for each ingredient, or simply test it out myself.

prettyhairisred
June 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Wow, I kind of want to try that! Anything that helps I guess XD

White Sides
June 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM
It would be cool to see what brands would work best, like Chapstick, Burt's bees, or Eos, but if someone sees you putting chapstick in your hair they might think you're a loony

Hollyfire3
June 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
It would be cool to see what brands would work best, like Chapstick, Burt's bees, or Eos, but if someone sees you putting chapstick in your hair they might think you're a loony

There are many other things we LHCs do for our hair that make people question our sanity:D just saying...lol.

meteor
June 12th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Yep, I did that a couple times with a lip balm (containing coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter and other good stuff), and it worked beautifully except for it took a bit long to warm up in my palms, since it was pretty thick.

Dreamers91
June 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Sometimes while at school my ends are dry so swipe them inbetween my lips with chapstick on them and it tames my ends. :-)

Lady Neeva
June 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I once put Cetaphil cream on the ends. Same effect.

Natalia
June 12th, 2012, 08:15 PM
i do this kind of thing all the time. lip balm, face cream, salve, lotion if the ingredients are hair friendly on my head they go lol. i use near exclusivly 100% natural stuff so there isnt much i have that cant go in my hair.

Shepherdess
June 12th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Sounds nice! I started using shea butter conditioner a few months ago and I love it! I also create my own type of conditioning oil with almond/jojoba/vit. E and olive oil, then put essential oils in it like lavender, spearmint etc. to make it smell nice. I love my hair after I use them :crush: I should try bees wax mixed in :)

prettykitty
June 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Lush makes an all-purpose balm (Ultrabalm?) that I've put on the ends of my braid before, that worked all right. Also Burt's Bees make a balm with pumpkin oil in it that is pretty epic applied to hair. I used to keep a tin in my bag for wiping down flyaways, it was wonderful. Hmm, I wonder where I could buy it now...

HintOfMint
June 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Lush makes an all-purpose balm (Ultrabalm?) that I've put on the ends of my braid before, that worked all right. Also Burt's Bees make a balm with pumpkin oil in it that is pretty epic applied to hair. I used to keep a tin in my bag for wiping down flyaways, it was wonderful. Hmm, I wonder where I could buy it now...

Good god, pumpkin oil? I can imagine that smells heavenly! I'm a sucker for all things pumpkin though.

evieisocoolike
June 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Sounds nice! I started using shea butter conditioner a few months ago and I love it! I also create my own type of conditioning oil with almond/jojoba/vit. E and olive oil, then put essential oils in it like lavender, spearmint etc. to make it smell nice. I love my hair after I use them :crush: I should try bees wax mixed in :)

I would slowly add it in though, it built up pretty tremendously after a week or so. It does thicken it up and give it a nice texture. Your conditioning oil sounds heavenly! :cloud9: Would you mind giving me the parts? ;)

evieisocoolike
June 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Oooh, I'm on the pumpkin oil bandwagon, just imagine it mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg! Mmmm, off to check the interwebs for pumpkin oil! :D

Natalia
June 19th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Oooh, I'm on the pumpkin oil bandwagon, just imagine it mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg! Mmmm, off to check the interwebs for pumpkin oil! :D

hate to burst the bubble but pumkin oil smells nothing like the flesh of pumpkins sorry. i was bummed too.

blond_betty
June 19th, 2012, 10:57 PM
This sounds like something I will definitely have to keep in mind... My hair tends to get extremely dry and break a lot, but since I started oiling (when I remember) it seems to have improved.

This sounds like a good idea for a long hair who likes to do a lot of outdoor activities (gardening, camping, hiking, etc.) I think I will give it a try! :) Anyone know if the Burt's Bees variety would work as well? I know I've seen that brand at the store.

blond_betty
June 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Never mind, someone already answered my question, ha ha. Oh well, at least I know it won't ruin my hair in a pinch.