PDA

View Full Version : How to make selfmade waves stay longer?

Phalaenopsis
June 7th, 2012, 10:14 AM
So I've been googling and it seems the trick is to use mousse before you make your braids and then when you have your waves to bomb them with hairspray.

I was wondering if anyone did something else? I can't seem to work with gel, since I have to touch my heatless waves too much, probably ruining them. I also found some defining curl cream, how do you use that?

Ofcourse I don't want crispy hair :s

Anyway, some other ideas? Tips, tricks? I was thinking about buying the Giovanni hairspray and mousse.

lapushka
June 7th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone did something else? I can't seem to work with gel, since I have to touch my heatless waves too much, probably ruining them. I also found some defining curl cream, how do you use that?

My curl cream is applied just like a leave-in, actually. As for defining your waves goes, I'd either go with mousse or with gel, but I reckon mousse is going to be easier if you're a straighty wanting to preserve a set of waves. Much easier to put in on straight hair. I use gel, but I have a bit of a natural wave going on and it's basically just scrunched in. There are mousses around especially for curls or for setting your hair in curls (waves). I have one by L'Oréal, I believe.

LaFlor
June 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM
In the ethnic part of the beauty store you can find a product called "setting lotion". I've used that before to "set" my curls when I use rollers and it worked really well. I imagine it would work well with braids too.

akilina
June 7th, 2012, 11:55 AM
If you were going to go the route of buying mousse I would buy Biolage mousse :).
Biolage is my absolute favorite everrrr. The mousse smells wonderful and isnt drying and doesn't leave you crunchy and you have to use hardly any at all.

white.chocolate
June 7th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I've never used mousse. I've never used gel. I realized that applying a bit more oil than usual to the length makes them stay on longer. And
of course, don't comb the hair.

ladylowtide
June 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM
My braid waves stay longer if I do them on damp hair that is pretty oiled on the ends. I just do them about 5pm one day sleep on them and them out immediately before I leave the house the next day.

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM
AVG and water sprayed on intially seems to hold my pin curls pretty well :)

catamonica
June 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I just wet my braid. When I wear it down my hair stays wavy.

kemacr5
June 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Wow, Phaleanopsis, your hair is just gorgeous. I think your hair is what my hair wants to be when it grows up.:)