PDA

View Full Version : Sleep braids?

dollyfish
June 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Howdy,

I'm still struggling with how to put my hair up for sleep. I've tried doing two pigtail braids, but the hair ties used to secure sometimes cause breakage, and ALWAYS leave ugly dents in my hair. I suppose a morning shower would take care of that, but I don't like to wet my hair every day...

Is there a way to secure a braid for sleep without using ties? Or in such a way that doesn't dent/damage?

Also, as an aside, I'm wanting to order a special pillow case (or should I get a sleeping cap?). Should I go for satin or silk?

afu
June 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM
If you are already considering getting something silky to sleep on I would recommend getting a sleeping cap because that way you can just bundle your hair into it and you won't have to worry about securing it with ties

spidermom
June 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
At your length, I did a top of head ponytail or scrunchie bun.

Now I do a top of head braid on some nights. Other nights I just put my hair over the top of my pillow so that I'm not laying on it.

dollyfish
June 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
If you are already considering getting something silky to sleep on I would recommend getting a sleeping cap because that way you can just bundle your hair into it and you won't have to worry about securing it with ties

I suppose this is probably my best option for now! I'll look into ordering a good cap lol

Does it matter if the cap is silk or satin? Is one material better than the other?

Anje
June 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I use a satin cap. Silk breathes better, I'm told, but it's more expensive and harder to find silk caps.

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Does it matter if the cap is silk or satin? Is one material better than the other?

Satin is a smooth way of weaving fabric; you can get polyester or silk with a satin weave. Polyester won't breathe as well as silk and static could be an issue, but is a lot, lot cheaper.

PianoPlaye
June 7th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Ask around for real silk no longer loved or needed - a headsquare, an outgrown or "off-trend" silk shirt? Thrift/charity shops may have surprises as reasonable prices & thereafter it's a chop, seam & elastic job for the mob cap & a bit more fuss for a sleep bonnet with ties.

Treat yourself to a bit of silk! (I bought half a metre from a haberdasher - my husband absconded with it to trim a child's tabard & make himself a neckerchief with it. Had he a silk shirt, I'd have taken shears to it...)

Proximity
June 7th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I tie the end of my plait at night with a piece of wool. It doesn't make my ends look funny when I take it out, doesn't break my hair and isn't lumpy to lie on. It does sometimes slip off if I don't knot it tightly enough though. You might consider giving something like that a try though.

SerinaDaith
June 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
When my hair is long enough I just wear it up all the time, day or night and use a satin pillow case since I am a bit crazy about the idea of things on my head at night. If I left my hair down all day (usually with some serious begging from the DH) I will put it into a scrunchy bun on the top of my head which will sometimes if I am lucky give me that soft big curly wavy hair without the heat!

mduggan
June 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
i use a paranda/parandi braid at night...oil the ends a wee bit, and they are good to go! Learned about paranda/parandi braids in an earlier board....but don't remember how to find it....

Aggemam
June 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I've started making a braid while I turn my head kind of upside down and tying it with a scruchie made of satin material. In this way I don't lie on my braids it's kind of at the top of the pillow and makes my hair tangle less. This works really well for me and I've noticed that my hair gets less greasy as well this way.

braidgirl22
June 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I tie off my braid with a sleek feeling scrunchie and get no dents.I use the larger ones sold at wall-mart.I never use regular ponytails because the damage they use to cause plus those creases you were talking about.

irisheyes
June 9th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I never use a tie on my sleep braid. I just braid all the way to the very end. It may loosen a bit at the bottom, but the braid stays intact. I don't know why it works this way - maybe my fairytale ends stick together. Sometimes I just damp the last 3 inches, if I really want it to hold firm.

jacqueline101
June 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I like a scrunchi bun myself.

Tisiloves
June 9th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I tie off with sections of old tights, if you wrap them back onto the plait it will hold without making a weird dent.

Darkessa
June 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM
For the longest time, I just put my hair up in a bun on the tippy top of my head with a scrunchie.

Then I got a satin sleep cap, I LOVE IT. I dont use anything to put my hair up first (Unless im attempting curls or something), and its suuuper comfy.
Highly recommend a sleep cap.

AdaClare
June 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I use a big scrunchie, too. The one I normally use is really soft (feels like t-shirt material) and has been kind to my ends. :)

Astraea
June 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM
When I had this problem *stifles a sob* I'd do a pineapple loosely secured with a piece of fabric, quite a few curlies and wavies do it too. I also prefer unbleached silk or satin pillowcases to anything over my hair, I headache quick.

goldnymph
June 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM
A loosely tied silk ribbon won't leave much of a dent in your hair.

I use a hairband to tie off my wet braids, because the dent blends right in with the irregular kinks from the braid itself, but I have found that looping the end of it up and securing it beneath the hairband looks results in a more curled than kinked look.