PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever crochet/knitted/weave your hair into what you are working on?

misspurdy06
June 7th, 2012, 06:03 AM
By that I mean a fallen hair or two gets caught and before you know it you have incorporated more of yourself into your project than you intended?

Also if this has ever happened to you; Do you pull it out or keep on with your hair permanently in it?

I leave it in.

I like the idea of a part of me (not just my imagination or creativity) is in the blanket, hat or scarf.

I never do it on purpose. It's always on accident. But it's like a happy accident.

Sisgoldenhair65
June 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I don't knit or crochet but I just LOL at the title of this thread! :)

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Ah! A fellow crafter! Yeah, I do it all the time and think its a nice personal touch. I did the hubby an undyed wool scarf, and it had tiny glimmers of henna red in it from the happy accidental hair additions. It looked lovely! Glad Im not the only one ;)

Covet
June 7th, 2012, 06:30 AM
LOL this made me laugh. It used to happen to me back when I had time to knit. I've never left hairs in a project though, every time I'd see one I would pull it out and giggle. I know if I'd left them in the project it would annoy me.

Firefly
June 7th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Yes, this happens all the time! I try to pull it out, but sometimes can't... it's too far knit in. When that happens, like you, I try to think of it as a happy mistake. Sometimes I do leave it on purpose, if it's for DH or my two children. I feel like they have a part of me with them and especially for the kids, that it's a little like a protective talisman of sorts. :)

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Yes, this happens all the time! I try to pull it out, but sometimes can't... it's too far knit in. When that happens, like you, I try to think of it as a happy mistake. Sometimes I do leave it on purpose, if it's for DH or my two children. I feel like they have a part of me with them and especially for the kids, that it's a little like a protective talisman of sorts. :)
Protective talisman. Love it! :cheese:

Nedertane
June 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Well, I sew, so sometimes hair will get shed onto the project or even sewn into it. Rarely do I ever notice, though, and since I only actually MAKE things for myself at the moment (I do some repairs/alterations for others), it's not a big deal for me to have my hairs on my clothes lol.

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Yes! But I've also sewed what I was working on in my lap to the thigh of my trousers. :o

gossamer
June 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Yes, all the time, but never on purpose!

My best friend in college was given a knitted wool cap by his gf's mom. "I knit seven of her hairs into it," she said, "so you'll be bound to her as long as you wear it!" and then cackled at him.

They're still together, 8+ years later. :p

silverpiper
June 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM
yes, this has happened to me. sometimes they are just too hard to pull out!

jillosity
June 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I crochet not only my hair but sometimes my kitty's hair too, but I always pull it out. I do mostly lace crochet (Romanian Point, Irish, beaded, etc) so I don't want it to show in the finished piece.

spidermom
June 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I've tied a few hairs into my shoe laces, and no - I didn't leave them like that. It's too hard to walk bent over like that.

dwell_in_safety
June 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I've never done this because I don't craft, but I do love the idea of it! I would likely just leave them in there, if they were shed. My friends would get little pieces of me with them all the time!

I've tied a few hairs into my shoe laces, and no - I didn't leave them like that. It's too hard to walk bent over like that.

Heehee :D

door72067
June 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM
all. the. time.

I do try to take it out if possible

Shorty89
June 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
yes, this has happened to me. sometimes they are just too hard to pull out!

I'm trying very hard not to make a dirty joke about this. :eyebrows:

lundmir
June 7th, 2012, 11:23 PM
All the time, I try to take them out but sometimes they are just stuck.

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I haven't had a long enough chunk of time in the past decade or so to enjoy any needlework, but I imagine if I did, I'd probably knit some strands into my project accidentally.

I do, however, strum my hair into my guitar on occasion.

CanadaSquirrel
June 7th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I'm trying very hard not to make a dirty joke about this. :eyebrows:

Bahahahahaaaaaaa! ;)

Ocelan
June 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Yep, probably about every thing I knit has atleast one hair or one piece of hair in it. I try to pull the hairs out usually, but they usually are too long or too much knitted in already. I've never thought about them though, about something me being in the items, but since mentioned, I kinda like the idea. :)

Arrow
June 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I was doing a side braid just now and somehow got my ipod earbuds plaited in!

Denebi
June 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I was doing a side braid just now and somehow got my ipod earbuds plaited in!

:lol:

Yes, I knit/crochet hairs into everything. Always. I try to pull them out, but of course I don't get all of them. I think I can read my shedding rate from my self-knitted socks... :roll:

henné
June 9th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Yes, it happens to me all the time. So far, I've only crocheted for my little daughter, so it almost feel like weaving in a part of me into her little hats, blankets, etc. ... it's like a protection charm :o I'm not doing it on purpose, but it happens :)

White Sides
June 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Reminds me of the Family Guy episode when Meg bakes some of her hair into a cake and gives it to Brian.
"Do you feel me Brian? Part of me is inside you." :D

Falcore
June 12th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Reminds me of the Family Guy episode when Meg bakes some of her hair into a cake and gives it to Brian.
"Do you feel me Brian? Part of me is inside you." :D

Bwhahaha I love that episode!

Mrs. K
June 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
There's a fairytale about a lady who knitted a strand of hair into a blanket or something as a love charm. When she gave it to the man he would fall in love with her. Don't remember which fairytale it is, but I always thought that was romantic.

Thenolegirl
June 12th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I crochet, and yes I crochet my hair right into whatever I'm making =) Right now I'm working on an afghan for my boyfriend. My hair is crocheted right in throughout the blanket as I've worked on it for hours at a time. It's not on purpose...and most of the items I make are for family or myself. I would try very hard NOT to get my hair in it if I'm giving or selling my crochet to people outside of the family lol

EndlessSunshine
June 13th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Never my hair but I once was doing a little cross stitching and I sewed my project onto my pant leg. Had to cut all my work out to free the darn pants.

Wayuki
June 13th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I have crocheted shed hairs into my amigurumi at times. I always remove them, because IMHO it doesn't look good in the final project, at least not with my black hair, LOL!

Removing the hairs can be pretty hard, since I crochet my amigurumi really tightly, and then stuff them until it starts spilling over into the fourth dimension. :D

So these days I pay close attention to it, and generally I've been able to avoid it now.

SpinDance
June 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Oh yes, certainly. In my knitting I try to take it out, mostly because my hair is thicker fiber than the yarn I tend to use, so it could be a bit itchy if it rubs the skin. The worst though is spinning your hair into yarn you're making on a spinning wheel. This can be quite a shock when you get yanked!! And must be taken out.

I've also sewn something onto the end of my finger, if I have enough callus that I don't notice I've caught it. My eyes don't work well enough to hold something on my lap and stitch it to me.

spidermom, I about fell out of my chair lauging thinking about tying hair into shoes then trying to walk!!

redeyedtreefr0g
June 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Not yet!

My knitting is on hold for now until I get settled again after moving. I'll need to find another yarn shop. The two I've visited here in Oregon are really awesome, though, and I can't wait to visit some in Colorado. The lady at the first shop is the one who taught me how to knit, so I've literally JUST learned how.

I was supposed to knit a scarf for my first project, but I decided that knitting some useless thing for the sake of practice wasn't for me. I found a youtube video, bought some double-pointed needles, and started making a sock. I was doing great too until I lost some stitches off the needle as I started the toe (it was a cuff-down sock, so I was almost done!). The sock is too big too- I thought it would make a neat slipper. But that first yarn store closed, and I've no idea how to recover the damage and keep going with it. With the move, I may just give it up as practice and start fresh when I'm ready to put some time into it.

:D

Spacescape
June 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I've actually never worked my hair into a craft project, which is surprising now that I think about it! My hair does however like to swish over my shoulders and mute my ukulele if I play it with my hair down. That drives me nuts :mad:

Bagginslover
June 14th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I have accidentally rooted my hair into dolls and My Little Ponies before. They have pretty fantasy coloured hair though, and so my dark browns show up horribly an I have to remove them. I did add a few of my ownhairs to a custom pony I made of myself once though, she has synthetic hair in thesame colour as my natural colour, so I thought I'd add a few to make her more 'me' as it wouldn't show :)

bluesnowflake
June 14th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Oh, I've definitely accidentally ended up with hairs in my crochet projects. Usually I try and get them out if I notice, but if I don't it doesn't bother me. Hazards of having long hair (:

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 14th, 2012, 03:55 PM
HAHA!! Not yet, or at least, not with my hair. I have accidently worked in a few strands of my sister hair :p

And I like to leave it in...... knitting/crocheting is like telling a story, each sticth gets you a little further to the end and tells you something about the journy. :D

dawnrader
June 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hehe, i'm another crocheter who finds her hair crocheted into a piece of work, i pull out the ones i see but i know there are those that will be in the fabric forever.

sumidha
June 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I added a strand of my hair to an embroidered patch I did on purpose. >.>

piffyanne
June 15th, 2012, 12:00 AM
:knit:In the Victorian period, women sometimes would embroider a handkerchief with their own hair as a verrrry personalized and sentimental gift to a sweetheart. I want to make a few for my husband, if I ever can get one.

Others think it's gross, I think it's romantic.:crush:

(OT, but I've always wanted to use this emoticon, and this seems like a cute place to put one: ) :wethree:

truepeacenik
June 15th, 2012, 01:55 AM
My ex husband is a dye artist. He uses a technique where patterns for resist are sewn into fabric before dyeing, dyes are direct applied and cured, the pieces are washed, then stitches removed before drying.
I remember the first time he called me over to some shirts he was unstitching. One of my hairs had gotten around his threads and while the thread broke from a seam ripper, the hairs held fast!

For the record, Procion analine dye doesn't dye red hair.

Heatherzilla
June 15th, 2012, 04:49 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who ends up with hair in craft projects. I pull them out if it's visible, but otherwise I leave it alone. I think a few of my projects have cat fur worked in as well. Since most of my projects are for me, it's not really a big deal.