PDA

View Full Version : Hair texture changing radically?

infinity_girl
June 7th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Anyone's hair texture changed a lot over the course of time?

I think my hair is getting much straighter. The ends are still very curly (especially where there is old peroxide dye) but the new growth is very straight. It looks a bit weird as it is straight on top and about half way down I have a lot of curls. I am wondering if my hair has naturally changed texture or if the curls are likely to be a by-product of having continually dyed my hair (with chemical dyes) in the past? Obviously I have not used any chemical dyes for several years now and have been henna-ing but the bottoms which are curly still have the old dyes and I will only trim the ends slowly.

So, has anyone else had a radical change of texture and if so, do you think this was a natural change or because of something you stopped/started doing to your hair?

Vampyria
June 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, I went from curly to almost straight.
Before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9938&pictureid=128095

Now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10059&pictureid=129590

But it didn't go immediately from curly to that, it was wavy in between.

Mine was due to the hormones, because the curls appeared when puberty started and disappear after. Also when my hair was damaged, it was wavier. And I have also heard that henna can reduce curls.

CoveredByLove
June 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Mine seems to be doing the very same thing! I thought there was something wrong with me or my hair! Or something! I was born with straight hair that turned super curling during puberty. Now at 25 it seems to be flattening out. At first I thought it was heat damage but now since I have stopped using heat for almost a year my curls are not returning. Some days they seem to...but then it's followed my days of completely flat roots...even if I try to scrunch it, it just fizzes. Glad to find out this is not an odd occurrence.

barely.there
June 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM
As your hair grows longer, the weight of the hair itself makes the top parts straight(er) as the ends stay their usual curliness. gravity baby!

CoveredByLove
June 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM
As your hair grows longer, the weight of the hair itself makes the top parts straight(er) as the ends stay their usual curliness. gravity baby!

Very true...however...mine was 3a/3b BSL before it broke off. I wish I was at my comp I could post a pick of it... but I'm talking 80s hair from root to tip!...doesn't seem to be growing back.

SerinaDaith
June 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM
After each pregnancy my hair seems to be getting curlier, it started straight when I was little and now three babies later I have ringlets. I'm loving the body actually.

HintOfMint
June 8th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I have more wiry, rough, crinkly hairs growing in. They're starting to take over my canopy. I'm not exactly thrilled about this, but what can I do?

Tisiloves
June 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I was multi-textured as a kid (1a on top, 2a in the middle, 3b at the nape), now it's pretty much all 1a (apart from my transitional hairs which are still 3b-ish).