PDA

View Full Version : As my hair gets longer, my roots get shorter?!

Bunnysaur
June 7th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I dyed my hair about a month ago, and as of a week ago I had 3/4" of roots showing. Now, I have about 1/2" showing, although my hair is 1" longer than it was when I dyed it.
This happened the last time I dyed my hair too.
Has anyone else experienced something like this?

henné
June 7th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Are you sure you are measuring correctly and always the same hair in the same spot? It just sounds absolutely illogical to me ...

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 02:22 AM
That sounds nuts!! I have no idea how thats happening.....mabe an odd tape measure anomaly? ;)

MaryMarx
June 7th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Could it be that the colour near the roots blends in to your roots after a while so that it's hard to find the demarcation line, and it appears shorter when measuring?
(if anyone understands that :p)

XcaliburGirl
June 7th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Could it be that the colour near the roots blends in to your roots after a while so that it's hard to find the demarcation line, and it appears shorter when measuring?
Actually,I think that makes perfect sense and seems likely. Individual hairs are not all growing at the same time and same rate.

Also, you could have just make a mistake when measuring. Your hair could be lying differently, or the lighting could affect where the line seems to be.

Bunnysaur
June 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Are you sure you are measuring correctly and always the same hair in the same spot? It just sounds absolutely illogical to me ...

That sounds nuts!! I have no idea how thats happening.....mabe an odd tape measure anomaly? ;)

Actually,I think that makes perfect sense and seems likely. Individual hairs are not all growing at the same time and same rate.

Also, you could have just make a mistake when measuring. Your hair could be lying differently, or the lighting could affect where the line seems to be.

I don't really measure with a tape measure, I just sort of eyeball it. And my roots are noticeably shorter, even DF has noticed. It's like they're receding!

I was thinking that it might just be the colour fading, but that's an awful lot for a colour to fade...

Amber_Maiden
June 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I think measuring your roots probably gives you the best amount grown calculation.

PrairieRose
June 7th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Make sure your measuring tape is good. I once had one that got stretched out so it kept giving me crazy inconsistent measurements.

Bunnysaur
June 7th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I was trying to use my roots to figure out how fast my hair was growing, but now it seems to be receding :p
My measuring tape is fine, I just checked it against another and they're both the same...

Rocket22
June 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I totally know what you mean. I took pictures every month for almost a year and even though I was gaining in length (and lots too) my roots never seemed to be as far along as the length would measure? go figure, I just gave up trying to figure it out :)

Anje
June 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Sounds like you don't need to do as much coloring upkeep as most folks!

Bunnysaur
June 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Sounds like you don't need to do as much coloring upkeep as most folks!

That would be perfect, if I weren't trying to grow out my natural color... :p