PDA

View Full Version : Cornrows and image (pic heavy)

letibear
June 7th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone!

I am going to have my hair put in cornrows tomorrow. I'll probably keep them in for about a week, maybe two. I really like them, it is a great protective hairstyle - as long as the braids aren't too small or pulled too tightly - and once it's done, you really don't have to do much for care. When I need to wash, I use diluted shampoo (to prevent any from getting clumped in the braids) and condition or ACV rinse as usual. Then I might wrap my hair before sleep to prevent extra frizzing.

Here are a few pictures of ladies in cornrows. Would you ever consider the style for yourself? I have never seen it in very long hair. Unfortunately, people sometimes associate the style with a negative image. For those that do wear cornrows, do you ever worry about that? Does being perceived negatively keep you from wearing them at all?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/cornrows2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/cornrows1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/aliciakeys.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/boderek.jpg

joflakes
June 7th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I've never had them in myself but think they look great! A (male) colleague of mine has BSLish hair and he had them put in yesterday I noted. Don't forget to share pictures!

PolarCathy
June 7th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I would love to have someone around me with the patience and braiding skills to do this for me.

On a sidenote, I think the last one is not protective at all, rather, destructive, especially with those beads on the ends. Also the braids are very very tiny.

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I do like them, but if Im honest, the negative stereotype puts me off a bit. Here in the 90s it was all the rage with, um, agressive teenage girls :(
If you like them, go for it! The pictures all look VERY pretty. I tend to get traction alopicia easily, so any of those styles would render me balding in a couple of days.... Dont let stereotypes put you off! I bet they will look great on you :)

didrash
June 7th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Hm, I have to admit, I do not like the look... So much exposed scalp makes even the thickest hair look thin, and the scalp would burn in the sun I think.... I do not think there is negative stereotype any more, that was a long time ago, but I just don't like the look, and it seems a bit unfeminine to me. Just my opinion, however.

ssjhotau2
June 7th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I love any of those braided hairstyles. I'm always burning to ask my customers when they come in where they get it done- but I'm not sure if that would be insulting or not :?: I especially love when the braids have beads at the end.

hinatako
June 7th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Is that Olga Kurelenko at the 2nd pic? I think it looks great for her.

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2012, 02:15 AM
I really like them, I've worn them on a couple of occasions when I wanted so-low-it's-nearly-nothing-maintenance hair for a week or three when I was going away. It's really wonderful to feel your hair on your back and not worry about tangles. :) But I agree they suffer from an image problem; the first time I had them done my father said I looked like a "little yob." :p I was about fifteen or sixteen at the time.

Arya
June 7th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I find it really sad that cornrows are associated with negative personality traits, while chemically damaging ones are associated with positive ones. Associating cultural practices like hairstyles with personality is one of the clearest forms of racism. The roots of this are clearly rooted in colonial history and the idea that white or whiter traits, and white or whiter expressions of self, such as hairstyle are superior.

Cornrows are a traditional and protective method of styling Type 4 hair. Any negative image associated with it is usually one that relies on negative stereotypes of black people. Not that I am accusing anyone here of harbouring these attitudes, it's just sad to hear how prevalent they still are.

meishkamooshka
June 7th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I love corn rows! The second picture is especially striking to me. My sister used to do them on me all the time! I really like the hair I get after taking them out, though...

My hair was probably nearly hip length when they were done by my mom:
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/MeishkaMooshka/20749_240623370718_620360718_4279278_512576_n-1.jpg
Result after a week of washing them in braids (maybe twice):
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/MeishkaMooshka/20749_245671435718_3754274_n.jpg

My attempt at doing them on my little nephew (a few years back)...boy does this kid have some hair (I love it though, especially the random corkscrew curls):

Before:
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/MeishkaMooshka/66572_487790350718_223970_n.jpg
After:
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/MeishkaMooshka/26454_415872735718_3462745_n.jpg

newbeginning
June 7th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I think cornrows look pretty.

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I find it really sad that cornrows are associated with negative personality traits, while chemically damaging ones are associated with positive ones. Associating cultural practices like hairstyles with personality is one of the clearest forms of racism. The roots of this are clearly rooted in colonial history and the idea that white or whiter traits, and white or whiter expressions of self, such as hairstyle are superior.

Cornrows are a traditional and protective method of styling Type 4 hair. Any negative image associated with it is usually one that relies on negative stereotypes of black people. Not that I am accusing anyone here of harbouring these attitudes, it's just sad to hear how prevalent they still are.

I can honestly say I didnt even think of them being a 'black' hairstyle.....When I think of cornrows in a negative way its more to do with yobs and 'chavs'. I cant speak for everyone though, there may well be people out there that dislike 'black' styles for that reason, but not everyone will think like that. Personaly, I just find them a little severe on most people. Im sure I would look like an agressive egg with them :eyebrows:

jacqueline101
June 7th, 2012, 05:33 AM
The last picture is Bo Derek I've never had them but I like hers.

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 05:37 AM
The last picture is Bo Derek I've never had them but I like hers.
Bo Derek!!!! Thankyou, that would have bugged me if you hadnt have said...:o

CSallaround
June 7th, 2012, 05:54 AM
My boyfriend's friend's wife has offered to braid my hair. I think it looks good on exotic looking women, but I'm not sure how it'll look on pale me. My boyfriend is african and he's very eager for me to have my hair braided like an african woman lol

Thenolegirl
June 7th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Pretty! But not for me =) Hats off to anyone who can sit for the amount of time needed to create those styles!

MoonLover
June 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM
meishkamooshka:agape: wow your hair looks amazing when you take corn rows out. And your nephew is so... beautiful if you don't mind my saying. Does he have gray eyes? I loved mixed kids because of the striking mix of features. My partner and I were talking about how cute it would be if we had a child with hair like mine (light brown, mostly curly but a bit of nappy too) and his Asian features. I would totally do cornrows on my kid if they had hair like mine. Would have made my childhood a lot easier since my hair was usually a rat's nest of tangles.

You can be right but in some places or to some people, chemically damaging processes are associated with negative stereotypes too. When I see a fried blond, I tend to think trashy but cornrows do not elicit a negative response for me. Maybe because I grew up around cornrows and my brother used to get them so I don't see them as something that the scary "other" does.
As for relaxed hair being more acceptable, I thin that used to be true but natural hair finally is having a huge comeback in the US. Even The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/opinion/black-women-and-natural-hair.html?_r=1) is reporting on it!

brave
June 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM
My mom would give me cornrows if we went camping or some such. I could wear them for a week, roughly. But when I took them out I had so much frizz and float it was unbelievable, looked like a witch.

moxamoll
June 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I can honestly say I didnt even think of them being a 'black' hairstyle.....When I think of cornrows in a negative way its more to do with yobs and 'chavs'. I cant speak for everyone though, there may well be people out there that dislike 'black' styles for that reason, but not everyone will think like that. Personaly, I just find them a little severe on most people. Im sure I would look like an agressive egg with them :eyebrows:

I had to google "yob" and "chav"! :lol: I've never heard those ones before! I don't see cornrows around here often, but they do turn up once in a while. I don't know if the people wearing them experience any flack for it or not. I've always wanted to try it, but I think it wouldn't be the same on my poker straight hair.

LaFlor
June 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Although I love the look of cornrows on women of color or exotic women, I've never really been fond of them on white women.
If a white person gets them around here they are assumed to be "ghetto". The other stereotypes I have never heard of!

pepperminttea
June 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Im sure I would look like an agressive egg with them :eyebrows:

The first time I had them so they were braided away from my face, and yeah, I did look a bit egg-like. :p I do have a very pudgy face though, which doesn't help. But if you do lots of little English braids with no French/Dutch, it looks very different. Sort of like Brenda Meeks in Scary Movie; here (http://i.imgur.com/YnmXT.jpg) and here (http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac76/SweetxDreamsxNightmares/brandaandcindy.jpg) (on the left). I wasn't big on that movie, I spent most of the time admiring her braids. :o

On the racial issue though... Here I think many of the white girls that get full on cornrows are trying to emulate (somewhat embarrassingly) the gang culture in parts of the US to look 'hard'. And well, it doesn't really work. :p When I see them on black women though, I don't bat an eyelid, it's just something I'm used to seeing; like a white woman with shoulder length bleached hair, or a man with a short back and sides.

On aesthetics though, perhaps the scalp being less of a harsh contrast to the hair colour helps.

dollyfish
June 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
This thread is really making me examine my biases!

I realize that I absolutely LOVE cornrows in women and men of color, yet somehow when I see them in the hair of white women and men, I associate them with negative traits. I suppose the only people I knew (yes, in the 90s!) with cornrows in thin, white hair were bullies and generally mean people :/

I think clothing really matters here. A white woman with thin blonde hair (for example) in cornrows would look "trashy" (though I hate that term) in an overlarge T-shirt and sweat pants, but the same woman in a nice pantsuit or dress would look stylish to me.

LadyTheta
June 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Many years ago, before going overseas to Thailand, I had my shoulder-length blond wurly hair done in lots of corn rows and braids with beads. It was a great idea/solution to what-to-do with my hair re: lots of swimming, beaching, humidity, and no frizz, no muss, no fuss!

embee
June 7th, 2012, 10:46 AM
The other day I saw a (black) family with two little girls, both of whom had their hair in cornrows with colorful beads. They were *so* cute! :) The mama said she'd done the braiding herself, and we commented on how nice it looked. I would have loved to do DD's hair like that, but with her pale scalp and thin straight hair it would have not been very cool at all. The egg look for sure.

I think hair type and scalp color has a lot to do with the end result..

meeliah
June 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I adore cornrows on just about anybody. I've worn them several times in the past when my friend would do them. (I grew up in a black community)

Sadly, I can't do them on myself, though I do my hair in little english braids a few times a year (Just tried faux dreads with yarn and got tons of compliments). I'd probably do them more often, but I can't stand to leave them in for more than five days. I just can't do the washing the hair with braids in thing, and after 4 or 5 days they start itching me something fierce.

Tabitha
June 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm glad it's not just me who thinks cornrows look somehow "wrong" on white people - you've all articulated good concrete reasons for why I feel that way, that I'd never really thought about.

IMO even Bo Derek didn't carry it off that well. However, I think black women with long, tiny neatly done braids look especially elegant and it looks great when they style the length of the tiny braids in updos.

ApatheticFairy
June 7th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I love the first and last pictures from the OP.

I've done microbraids/microtwists and synthetic dreadlocks before, but not cornrows. I think they're beautiful, but I've had others (In a very "only white people with white collar jobs live here" neighborhood) say very negative things about me when I've worn them, so I don't anymore.

I live in a very ethnically diverse neighborhood now (More than 70-ish percent of my coworkers are black) and I don't know how they would react. x.x

WaterMusic
June 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think cornrows look really severe, and I don't think it is a flattering look for most people.

On the other hand I really like lots of little English braids.

heidi w.
June 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I would look awful in cornrows, I'm sure!!

I wonder that the last picture is woven in? It's a possibility....

I have never seen cornrows that are loose enough, and they usually have some kind of tie off that is overly tight, too.

But what do I know? Nuttin'.

It's not a look for me, of this I am sure.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 7th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Not overly long ago I saw a hairstylist's video on historical hairstyles, and she used the term "cornrows" to refer to basic 3 strand braids. Who knew?

heidi w.

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I had to google "yob" and "chav"! :lol: I've never heard those ones before! I don't see cornrows around here often, but they do turn up once in a while. I don't know if the people wearing them experience any flack for it or not. I've always wanted to try it, but I think it wouldn't be the same on my poker straight hair.
Im sorry, I do forget that some words arent global :o It can be pretty embarrassing. I posted on Facebook earlier that I fancied some ******ts (I know, hardly an interesting status worthy of sharing...) And had half my friends delete me for using a homophobic word. Its only like little burgers in gravy, and I got realy depressed about the whole silly mix up :(
Anyway, didnt mean to hijack! :cheese:

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I love cornrows, I see some fantastic designs where I live. Squiggylies and spirals, and one that was a spider's web. The only problem is it looks like it wouldn't keep your head very warm in winter, I keep wanting to give people hats.

Though tragically not a look for me, my paper white scalp and dark hair make me look bald if there are too many partings.

ladylowtide
June 7th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I love the look of cornrows on others regardless of race or ethnicity. I think I like the bigger ones better.

I had cornrows myself when I was on vacation as child, I will never wear them again because they were braided very, very tightly. It was awful.

I still however love the look of them, maybe this is why dutch braids keep creeping into my hairstyles :D

lunalocks
June 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I love cornrows. I considered this style for my wedding hair, but have always had bangs and it would have looked strange. And my forehead is too high without the bangs.

It is too bad there are such stereotypes on styles of hair. Until I read this thread, I had never considered that cornrows might mean anything other than a cool way to wear hair. If you have the right face shape for a pulled back look, why not?

PrairieRose
June 7th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I think they look very pretty! I would love to see pictures when you have them done. :)

Annibelle
June 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I think cornrows look really severe, and I don't think it is a flattering look for most people.

This is how I feel. I've always thought that Alicia Keys, in particular, looks amazzzing in cornrows, and I think it's because of her face shape. Me? When my hair is pushed severely away from my face (and I've had cornrows before put in by my cousin at a sleepover), I look... weird. I have a round face and a large jaw, and I kind of look like a mixture of Superman and a... toddler? when I have my hair back. It's not at all a flattering look. :laugh: It also makes my eyes look tiny. I think face shape is more important than race or coloring when deciding whether or not cornrows look good, though in general I do think that women of color look better in cornrows. (Though meishkamooshka looks fab in hers! I think it's because she has thick hair.)

lapushka
June 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
So is it typically like a Dutch braid but with hair added to the middle strand? What's the technique?

spidermom
June 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Yes! I love them. Unfortunately, my hair does not. They become unbearably fluffy with escaping hairs after only 1 day, and it takes way too long to do them to only be able to have them look good for a single day.

meishkamooshka
June 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM
meishkamooshka:agape: wow your hair looks amazing when you take corn rows out. And your nephew is so... beautiful if you don't mind my saying. Does he have gray eyes? I loved mixed kids because of the striking mix of features. My partner and I were talking about how cute it would be if we had a child with hair like mine (light brown, mostly curly but a bit of nappy too) and his Asian features. I would totally do cornrows on my kid if they had hair like mine. Would have made my childhood a lot easier since my hair was usually a rat's nest of tangles.

Haha! Thank you! I really love it. Even if I do a bunch of tiny braids, I don't get quite the same result as I do from the cornrows.

Of course I don't mind you saying. He is absolutely gorgeous, and his hair hasn't tamed down one bit since that picture was taken. This picture shows his eye color better, but of course it varies with light. Most times it's greenish gray (if that makes sense):

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/MeishkaMooshka/524672_10150805152920719_1095400342_n.jpg

I love mixed children, too. My whole family is like a rainbow of colors; I just love it!!!

That would be a beautiful combination of features, I think! It reminds me of early pictures of Kimora Lee Simmons.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf2v9nBw431qgrg6jo1_500.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/9gj56q.jpg

Cornrows are a lot of fun, and I love looking at the different styles and shapes that can be accomplished with them. Though, I have witnessed really painful experiences of my niece (in-law?) getting her way-too-tight cornrows taken out. Poor dear. It was quite traumatic.

meishkamooshka
June 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM
(Though meishkamooshka looks fab in hers! I think it's because she has thick hair.)

Aww. Thank you. :o

katsrevenge
June 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I wore them when I had a reverse mullet (long at the front/top, short in the back) but only at the front of my hair.

I'd do it now but I'd need help to put them in. I personally like the look of braids.

Tabitha
June 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Im sorry, I do forget that some words arent global :o It can be pretty embarrassing. I posted on Facebook earlier that I fancied some ******ts (I know, hardly an interesting status worthy of sharing...) And had half my friends delete me for using a homophobic word. Its only like little burgers in gravy, and I got realy depressed about the whole silly mix up :(
*continues hijack* it's the same when you try to type our slang word for cigarette, beginning with F and rhyming with "bag". :eek:

pretty wings
June 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I'm waiting for my hair to grow out more before I wear cornrows out in public. I mostlly wear them when in the house or under wigs. It's a great protective style especially in the hot summer because it exposes the scalp more to air.

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM
*continues hijack* it's the same when you try to type our slang word for cigarette, beginning with F and rhyming with "bag". :eek:
Yes, just like that :) I get upset about it and feel all misunderstood :rolleyes:
Lets just hope the both of us never express a desire to have little burgers in gravy with a cigarette :D

Arya
June 8th, 2012, 12:45 AM
So is it typically like a Dutch braid but with hair added to the middle strand? What's the technique?
Basically, just subtle differences. This technique fluffs the braid up and makes it look thicker faster..here's a diagram

http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/2011/01/difference-between-french-braids-dutch.html

French is on the left, Dutch in the middle, Cornrow on the right.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy306/chvc/all_three.jpg

meishkamooshka
June 8th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Basically, just subtle differences. This technique fluffs the braid up and makes it look thicker faster..here's a diagram

http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/2011/01/difference-between-french-braids-dutch.html

French is on the left, Dutch in the middle, Cornrow on the right.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy306/chvc/all_three.jpg

That was incredibly informative! Thank you for the link and the picture!

Arya
June 8th, 2012, 01:12 AM
That was incredibly informative! Thank you for the link and the picture!
Any time ^_^

Merlin
June 8th, 2012, 02:27 AM
...do with yobs and 'chavs'.

Chavs can't braid - the instruction to divide the hair into three sections exceeds their mathematical abilities...

carolinaberry
June 10th, 2012, 12:57 AM

This sounds like it came out of a textbook. I don't mean that in a snarky way, it just literally sounds like something that would come out of a "multi-cultralism" college course.

Quite honestly in MY experience, ALL of the white people who I've encountered with cornrows usually DO have extremely bad, aggressive attitudes and most of them have looked trashy and presented themselves in an overall ignorant light. Every single one of them.

Since I've met many more African-American and Jamaican people with them, from children to business people, the ratio is different and isn't automatically associated in my mind with a negative stereotype, as there have been more "normal" people with the style and only a few jerks that you will find in any group. My Afghani best friend has had them a couple of times and she's literally the nicest person I've ever met. My daughter has had them twice and they are cute on kids.

On a purely aesthetic level, I don't particularly enjoy the look, mostly because I can "feel" their hairs ripping out of their scalps. I guess if you are looking for low maintenance and protective, I it would depend on how tight they are put in.

carolinaberry
June 10th, 2012, 01:01 AM
This thread is really making me examine my biases!

I realize that I absolutely LOVE cornrows in women and men of color, yet somehow when I see them in the hair of white women and men, I associate them with negative traits. I suppose the only people I knew (yes, in the 90s!) with cornrows in thin, white hair were bullies and generally mean people :/

I think clothing really matters here. A white woman with thin blonde hair (for example) in cornrows would look "trashy" (though I hate that term) in an overlarge T-shirt and sweat pants, but the same woman in a nice pantsuit or dress would look stylish to me.

See, these aren't biases. They are opinions based on YOUR experiences. I've had the same type of experience, only I've encountered numerous white people with cornrows recently, and ALL of them bullies and dirty in aspect.

carolinaberry
June 10th, 2012, 01:05 AM

Some people will assume that when you said "aggressive girls" that you meant "black girls"...that is THEIR racism, not yours.

carolinaberry
June 10th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Another thing with cornrows-to the OP-the pictures you posted look beautiful...but I think any style worn for a while will start to look messy...so it would depend on how well your hair holds braids. If it starts to look stringy, it won't be as awesome. You do have a lovely face though so you could probably pull it off.

MasCat
June 10th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I think cornrows are great. I was thinking about puttung them in when I was in Spain a couple of years ago, but I didn't. Wonder how would I look :)

I did cornrows on my brother back when he totally fried his hair by bleaching them first and them dying them blue - we had SL hair that was fried to about 1,5in in the back of his head. Cornrows were the only thing that looked ok. And then he shaved his head. (And got a baaad sunburn :P)

SwordWomanRiona
June 10th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Yes, I'd love to try them. I've always liked cornrows, I think they look very beautiful. And more than looking severe, I think they stylize a lot...But I think I lack skill and patience at the moment!
I hate that they be viewed in a negative way :mad:.

SwordWomanRiona
June 10th, 2012, 05:11 AM

I agree with you 100%.

Why should hairstyles be associated with bad connotations (having to do with the person's race or character or status or whatever)? I think that's really unfair. All people, be them black or white or whatever, are allowed to do their hair the way they want, I think, and I find it unfair that black people be flamed for it, and that white people be flamed for it, as well (with comments such as 'only worn by aggressive people', 'looking trashy', etc...There may be, of course, trashy-looking or aggressive white people who wear cornrows, but not all those who wear them are aggressive or trashy-looking. Generalizations are always unfair.
I think people should stop adding connotations and unfair (and not always true!) judgements to a hairstyle! A hairstyle is something that you like or that you don't like, IN ITSELF, and not in relation to the stereotypes and connotations it may unjustly have. That's it.

SwordWomanRiona
June 10th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Forgot to add that when I think about cornrows worn by a white person, no negative stereotypes come to my mind, only the kind of multi-braided hairstyles the Celts or Scandinavians could have worn...Like Brynhild in The Ring of the Nibelungs:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3sv03vxI6Qk/TPkmu-igOLI/AAAAAAAAAUU/3z7IaRMB_xk/s1600/Kingdom%2BIn%2BTwilight.jpg

Juanita
June 10th, 2012, 05:36 AM
I like the look of cornrows. See lots of girls and young women getting them whilst on holiday in Bali. I used to do lots of small braids in my hair and my daughters hair when they were younger.

Astraea
June 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM
OP, I like the Ciara one best! Can't wait to see it (pretty please)! I've only recently begun to like cornrow styles and now think they range from whimsical to ravishing but can barely do a single plait and don't know one braid from another. I've had them done as a protective style, some cozy and neat and others that still have me wincing years later.

In my experience, they 'enjoyed' a very negative image up until the 90s in the U.S. and still were primarily stereotyped as 'backward, street, aggressive' and it had everything to do with subliminal and explicit racist connotations. For a long time I despised them because I bought into the same loaded imagery and also because I thought they were ugly - however I'm not sure I would've necessarily thought the latter had it not been for the former.

@Arya - I thought yours was a very thoughtful and bold post.

@hinatako - Yes I believe that is O. Kurylenko, lovely as usual!

@ApatheticFairy - You do microbraids/microtwists yourself? My Gah! I imagine cornrows would be a breeze! Be warned, you may be inundated with requests from your neighbors....

Nae
June 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I think they look edgy and cool especially with nicely put together outfits.

I also think that the right kind of cheekbones help to pull them off so that you look amazing lol.. I don't really have that.

I also associate it with someone who is ready for a tropical vacation and that is really positive.

Now, I do believe it can look aggressive when worn by young men (of any color) but frankly I think that is just that young men (especially in groups) *can* be agressive. Shaved heads, mohawks, crew cuts, long hair; any of it *can* look aggressive if worn by a young kid who is specifically broadcasting that tough guy persona but I am not gonna blame the hairstyle for that.

embee
June 10th, 2012, 07:02 AM
[COLOR=seagreen...Like Brynhild in The Ring of the Nibelungs:[/COLOR]
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3sv03vxI6Qk/TPkmu-igOLI/AAAAAAAAAUU/3z7IaRMB_xk/s1600/Kingdom%2BIn%2BTwilight.jpg

Ouch! Just looking at those little pulled tight braids makes me cringe. I can just imagine my little hairs ripping out! :(

Also I think she looks angry and aggressive, but as Brynhild perhaps that is appropriate. It's not a look I'd want for myself.

I thought the OP's pictures were beautiful.

Mya
June 10th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Hello! I wouldn't like cornrows on me and I don't like this hairstyle in general, but in my experience they look good on girls of any race and colour if they have the right face shape.
I think that the negative image of this hairstyle comes from associating it with a certain culture (the "I like to show myself as poor, to listen to reggae and to smoke herb" culture, in my experience).
So, if you are a "regular" person, you don't have to worry about negativity.
If you stink, do drugs, and hate anyone who isn't poor and/or black, negativity from hairstyle is the last of your problems!

Idjit
June 10th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I really like the way cornrows look but I wouldn't be able to wear them myself. I look much better with a bit of hair in my face. Although, if I knew someone who would be willing to do it for me I would love to have a zillion microbraids all around my head. Or maybe cornrows that go to the sides of my head first instead of straight back from the forehead.

SwordWomanRiona
June 10th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Ouch! Just looking at those little pulled tight braids makes me cringe. I can just imagine my little hairs ripping out! :(

Also I think she looks angry and aggressive, but as Brynhild perhaps that is appropriate. It's not a look I'd want for myself.

I thought the OP's pictures were beautiful.

Well, she's a woman-warrior in the middle of a duel with one who pretends to marry her if he wins!...so I suppose the defiant, impetuous pose is the awaited-for one in this case :shrug:, and that, of course, there's no link between that pose and her hairstyle ;)!
It was just an example of a hairstyle with cornrows worn by a white person without the current negative connotations it has (like imitating "black street attitudes", as Arya puts it, in an excellent way. And let me emphasize that I love the hairstyle on black people as well, with no negative connotations at all!).
I only see that it looks like a handy hairstyle for a warrior (and it has the bonus of looking very beautiful, imo, and if done correctly and not too tightly I don't think it should harm the scalp or the hair). Black people have used cornrows as a protective style, and white cultures like the Celtic and Scandinavian one probably did too, again as a protective style (warriors). No aggressive attitudes added to it.

Thinthondiel
June 10th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I've never had cornrows, but I have had micro braids.

I like the look of cornrows, as long as they aren't pulled too tightly. I've seen women who clearly have traction alopecia because of too tight micro braids/cornrows.

RedheadMistress
June 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
- I used to have my entire head in cornrows when I was younger, my sisters friend is amaazing with hair, does amasting braid extensions (when the braids are so thin so it looks and moves like hair, not big chunky braids) and she puts a lot of time and effort into hair . .

Also I had cornrows on my prom, on the sides of my hair, I have a pic somewhere . .
http://i48.tinypic.com/166f8u1.jpg

door72067
June 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM

my Welsh-decended Poppy (grandfather) used that phrase :) for him, it was a dish like homefries, or fried potatoes

when I heard it used in the ~other~ context, I couldn't imagine why people were calling others *potatoes*

ouseljay
June 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I got cornrows once in high school, my hair was mid-back length at the time. If I remember right it took about two hours and the braiding hurt, I don't know if that's typical though. I really liked the way they looked, but my friends were shocked when I got home from vacation! And I got the worst sunburn between the rows, it hadn't even occured to me to put sunblock there. :doh: When I took them out after two weeks my hair went FOOF.

lapushka
June 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the information on cornrowing, Arya!

Astraea
June 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I got the worst sunburn between the rows, it hadn't even occured to me to put sunblock there. :doh:

:eek: ouch!

Arya
June 10th, 2012, 11:42 PM
This sounds like it came out of a textbook. I don't mean that in a snarky way, it just literally sounds like something that would come out of a "multi-cultralism" college course.

Quite honestly in MY experience, ALL of the white people who I've encountered with cornrows usually DO have extremely bad, aggressive attitudes and most of them have looked trashy and presented themselves in an overall ignorant light. Every single one of them.

Since I've met many more African-American and Jamaican people with them, from children to business people, the ratio is different and isn't automatically associated in my mind with a negative stereotype, as there have been more "normal" people with the style and only a few jerks that you will find in any group. My Afghani best friend has had them a couple of times and she's literally the nicest person I've ever met. My daughter has had them twice and they are cute on kids.

On a purely aesthetic level, I don't particularly enjoy the look, mostly because I can "feel" their hairs ripping out of their scalps. I guess if you are looking for low maintenance and protective, I it would depend on how tight they are put in.

Well, it did come off as sounding pretty snarky, it's interesting that you have so little regard for college education. I hope that as a supportive community we welcome all types of knowledge. True, I have studied race and ethnicity as part of my degree, but I also have practical experience with different ethic groups, having lived in poor, ethnically diverse suburbs on three continents, with families from many different parts of the world, and teaching ESL for a living. Most of what I know about cornrows and African culture is from talking to Nigerian, Sudanese, Congolese and Caribbean friends about their hair, their cultures and their experiences, not just college courses.

Cornrows are an integral part of many African cultures ( see http://csdt.rpi.edu/african/CORNROW_CURVES/culture/african.origins.htm) as well as Caribbean and North American ones. (There are also cornrowing traditions elsewhere, but not so widespread as in Africa).

Cornrows take a long time to do, so someone who has them, especially intricate ones, was thought of as well cared for or rich. They also symbolized fertility and the harvest, resembling rows of vegetables or grain. Done correctly, cornrows moisturize and protect type 4 hair, they should not cause traction alopecia or rip hairs out. Any hairstyle done incorrectly can damage hair, we at LHC know that.

Some people will assume that when you said "aggressive girls" that you meant "black girls"...that is THEIR racism, not yours.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. In a way, it's often the aggressive girls' racism that shows.

Cornrows ARE often thought of as "aggressive" and "lower-class" or "street" on anybody, Black or White or whoever (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13367631 and the many cases just like it over the years in western countries). Those assumptions are most often tied up with racist ideas about poor Blacks (poor Black people are often associated with a criminal identity/being tough/street/loud/aggressive, and so are their hairstyles). I'm not accusing anyone here of feeling this way, but it's a very common attitude. I think there was actually a thread a year or two ago on here where someone came out about how unprofessional they thought cornrows looked, and how they didn't belong in the office. If you think of someone negatively, you often begin to think negatively about aspects that are associated with those people negatively.

So if certain poor, rough, white people want to seem more "tough" or "street", they often adopt or appropriate aspects of Black culture to enhance their tough street image. They're just like St. Gregory's school in the link...instead of associating it with Black culture in a neutral or positive way, they only associated with the criminal/tough element...Employers, schools, and people who see cornrows only in this negative way are really just showing how deeply ingrained their own racism is.

Basically, I just think it's important to fight this negative association wherever it's found, it's something I (clearly) feel very strongly about. I think it's important to be respectful towards traditional aspects of people's cultures whether you're talking about hairstyles or putting them in. I think it's very disrespectful (and racist) of people to put in a traditional hairstyle with the intention of acting a certain way. Those girls who put in cornrows to act tough make me just as angry as the employers/school councils who bar students/employees from wearing those hairstyles. People should be able to wear traditional hairstyles, especially protective ones, without fear of having it associated with negative stereotypes.

Sorry for the novel, I just felt like I had to explain myself. :D

meishkamooshka
June 11th, 2012, 12:49 AM
So I did a half cornrow style on my little sister and mom today. I thought this would be a good place to share the pictures. Unfortunately I don't have access to a computer with net right now (just my phone's), and so I don't have the ability to upload pictures of my little sister's braid. The only ones I have are cellphone ones of my mom's style :) Anyhow, I think it's a good comparison of how the style looks on VERY different hair types.

My mom's style:

http://i.imgur.com/TFBltl.jpg

When I can get on a computer, I'll be sure to upload the better pictures!

letibear
June 11th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Wow! Thank you so much to everyone that responded, for turning this thread into an interesting discussion. And thank you to those of you that share your cornrow pictures! Beautiful!

I haven't had my hair done yet - I had to move it to later this week, as it's quite time consuming - but I promise I'll put some pictures up once it's done! :D

terpentyna
June 11th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I grew up in a major US city, and I have no negative stereotypes. It's a hairstyle. Everyone I know with type 4 hair had them in some point. I had them done when my hair was shorter and it was the most comfortable two weeks of my life hairwise. Had a pic somehwere, but I can't find it.

McFearless
June 11th, 2012, 01:28 AM
The last one looks silly but I love all the others. Beautiful style. I'm sure it'll look great.

McFearless
June 11th, 2012, 01:30 AM

You are amazing and took the words right out of my mouth.

Lucky_Lucy
June 11th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I've always loved this hairstyle and considered having them done for me too:D(unfortunately I don't know anyone who can do them). I've never thought that cornrows would be associated with any negative personality traits.
Just a few days ago, when I was walking to the train station, I saw a girl who had really small ones and her hair was black(probably natural) and I guess it was TBL. It looked gorgeous!<3

SwordWomanRiona
June 11th, 2012, 04:59 AM
So I did a half cornrow style on my little sister and mom today. I thought this would be a good place to share the pictures. Unfortunately I don't have access to a computer with net right now (just my phone's), and so I don't have the ability to upload pictures of my little sister's braid. The only ones I have are cellphone ones of my mom's style :) Anyhow, I think it's a good comparison of how the style looks on VERY different hair types.

My mom's style:

http://i.imgur.com/TFBltl.jpg

When I can get on a computer, I'll be sure to upload the better pictures!

That looks so beautiful!!

SwordWomanRiona
June 11th, 2012, 05:00 AM
You are amazing and took the words right out of my mouth.

Same here :thumbsup:!!

Annibelle
June 11th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Cornrows are an integral part of many African cultures ( see http://csdt.rpi.edu/african/CORNROW_CURVES/culture/african.origins.htm) as well as Caribbean and North American ones. (There are also cornrowing traditions elsewhere, but not so widespread as in Africa).

Cornrows take a long time to do, so someone who has them, especially intricate ones, was thought of as well cared for or rich. They also symbolized fertility and the harvest, resembling rows of vegetables or grain. Done correctly, cornrows moisturize and protect type 4 hair, they should not cause traction alopecia or rip hairs out. Any hairstyle done incorrectly can damage hair, we at LHC know that.

That's all so interesting! Thanks so much for sharing! :D

letibear
June 13th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hello everyone! Here are my pictures, finally. Thanks again to everyone who responded! :)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows5.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows6.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows4.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows.jpg

Tisiloves
June 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Very nice letibear, your paintbrush ends are so cute :redgrin:

Micayla47
June 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM
letibear, you look adorable with your cornrows :) i've always wanted to have my hair cornrowed, but never got around to it. i'm sure people would think i'm too old and too white, but that's ok. one of these days i'll have it done anyway. "appropriateness" is not a top priority for me :)

meishkamooshka
June 14th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Hello everyone! Here are my pictures, finally. Thanks again to everyone who responded! :)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows5.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows6.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows4.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/cryst4l/junecornrows.jpg

I think they look cute on you, and you are BEAUTIFUL!!!

letibear
June 14th, 2012, 10:58 AM
tisiloves, micayla47, meishkamooshka - thank you so much! <3 :D

MidnightMoon
June 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I definitely would try it if I didnt have such fine hair...it would leave tremendous gaps in my scapl and wouldnt really look well
but its def a cool look :)

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 14th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Result after a week of washing them in braids (maybe twice):
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/MeishkaMooshka/20749_245671435718_3754274_n.jpg

:cheese: HOLY COW!!!!!! Your hair is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

and also, I think cornrows look good on some poeple nad bad on others, It really depends on the skill of the braider, and the person wearing them. :cool:

meishkamooshka
June 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
:cheese: HOLY COW!!!!!! Your hair is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

and also, I think cornrows look good on some poeple nad bad on others, It really depends on the skill of the braider, and the person wearing them. :cool:

Thank you! Now only if it was like that ALL the time!

Nae
June 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Letibear, you look great! I love that style on you.

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Thank you! Now only if it was like that ALL the time!

I know what you me :D
My hair always likes to look good on the weekend, and totally crappy during the week :mad:

HazyMoon
June 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Forgot to add that when I think about cornrows worn by a white person, no negative stereotypes come to my mind, only the kind of multi-braided hairstyles the Celts or Scandinavians could have worn...Like Brynhild in The Ring of the Nibelungs:

Thank you for the amazing link. I have not thought about cornrows before. My hair is so thin that I figured it would look strange on me. However, I really do like the complexity of this style.

long&blonde
June 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I've had them several times.
Only since I've been in my 50's, and it seems my experience at least, that lovely "invisibility" a woman gets after age 50? I've found results in way less comments about my appearance. Love that!
But about cornrows: they feel soo awesome, cool, sturdy with no wisps blowing out, I love the feeling of cornrows so much: I wouldn't care. I never attempted washing them tho, so a week, and I took them out.

letibear
June 16th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Letibear, you look great! I love that style on you.

Thank you, you're very kind :D:smile: