PDA

View Full Version : I want to tease so badly!

BlondieHepburn
June 6th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I am well aware that it is basically the worst thing I can do to my hair, but oh, how I crave hair-do(n't)s like Brigitte Bardot and all those other gloriously sexy '60s hair idols. I neeeeeed poofy '60s hair! (Obviously I don't need it, but let's pretend I do.)

If women in the '60s backcombed their hair all the time, how did it still look so healthy?

Basically, how can I have a happy bouffant without utterly destroying my hair? And will it definitely destroy it, or is there a chance it will be fine?

I am collecting my fallen hairs for a rat (I got over my "ew" phase), but this is a slow business.

Ladies of THLC, are there some amongst you who backcombed through the sixties and have lived to tell about it? Or who still do it now?

:silly:

Miss Catrina
June 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM
There's always bumpits. Artificial "rats" too. Really, for fashion shoots and whatnot, they stuff hair with just about anything. Cotton, toilet paper, pantyhose, etc.

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Get some nude/tan tights/knee highs, they can make great rats for blondies!

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Sometimes people just rolled a bit of their hair like an upright pin curl and then smoothed some hair over that. No teasing required!

The longer my hair gets, the less volume I have at the roots, so I understand the desire for teasing.

A hairdresser once teased my bangs at the roots (not like an 80s thing, more subtle) and it looked so good. I'm wondering if I could get away with it for just my bangs...

As far as how women got away with it in the 60s, I'm not sure they did. Who knows what the hair looked like up close.

torrilin
June 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I didn't. But my high school teachers did do bouffant 60s hair. (I had several really lovely teachers who encouraged us in being interested in "social" history like what clothes people wore and how they did their hair. So they'd talk about how things had changed in their lifetime.)

According to them, the regimen was wash once a week (or less), because you air dried your hair. Then you'd style it each day, and you'd use falls or other hairpieces to get the look if you needed more fullness. There was a strong idea that going about with wet hair was really gauche, and since this was pre-hair dryer in a lot of ways... As an adult, I know that what they meant by "style" is what is now called a "set". Think pin curls or rag curls or hair wraps to get the right texture.

In short, it was pretty LHC friendly. You can use less hair friendly methods, but if you're learning from scratch it seems like it'd be easier to work with the less damaging techniques.

irisheyes
June 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I never teased my hair, but I knew 2 girls who teased their hair every day. Both girls eventually suffered alot of broken hair in the teased area. It looked pretty bad with long hair. I second the rat idea or, as already mentioned, bumpits.

truepeacenik
June 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM
If you tease your hair, it tends to do mean things back.

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM

LOL. Do not provoke the tigers! See Tatiana the Tiger for details.

BlazingHeart
June 6th, 2012, 06:44 PM
If what you want is the volume, why not make a lot of make a lot of small braids on wet hair and once dry, remove them and brush out. You'll have some waviness, but most of what will register is the volume. Totally LHC friendly.

Also, for the bouffant hair styles, be careful what products you use. Most hairspray is not hair-friendly.

~Blaze

Grillz
June 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I can totally relate. There are so many times when I do a braid or a certain updo that would look better with a little extra oomph at the crown. I've tried little cheater ways (hiding a pin curl underneath, bumpits) but haven't found one that's quite the same :/ I like the suggestion about the knee highs or panty hose though! I'll try that next!

akilina
June 6th, 2012, 08:42 PM
When I used to tease my hair everyday+hairspray I didn't even notice that bad of damage...my damage was on the ends from flat ironing really.
I think that you could totally style your hair a few times like this and get away with it. Maybe it will make you happy and feel less hair style deprived.
When I am feeling irritated sometimes I just straighten my hair and make it look really nice.
It helps me feel good about myself in a way...like I look nice and polished and complete.

BrightEyes
June 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I miss the look of my hair teased. I loved the volume. I could get it to look like I had twice as much hair as I really have:D Unfortunately my fine and highlighted hair couldn't take it. I didn't realize how damaging it is when done on a regular basis. And I always had to be careful not to lean my head against anything or let someone touch my hair. My 'do' would deflate like a balloon.:silly:

I have found that I get some volume with steam rollers. Not as much as when I was blow drying with a round brush and teasing. But I get a nice full and pretty look. And I don't have the damage.

Falcore
June 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM

LOL! I love this

Katze
June 7th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Sometimes people just rolled a bit of their hair like an upright pin curl and then smoothed some hair over that. No teasing required!

This works well for me.

I have a lot of volume at the roots (I wake up most mornings looking like Whitesnake) and any updo gets that poofy look really fast. That plus messy hair means if I take the time I can get bouffant-ish dos, but my hair has to be freshly washed (i.e. all dry and unmanageable)

I didn't. But my high school teachers did do bouffant 60s hair. (I had several really lovely teachers who encouraged us in being interested in "social" history like what clothes people wore and how they did their hair. So they'd talk about how things had changed in their lifetime.)

According to them, the regimen was wash once a week (or less), because you air dried your hair. Then you'd style it each day, and you'd use falls or other hairpieces to get the look if you needed more fullness. There was a strong idea that going about with wet hair was really gauche, and since this was pre-hair dryer in a lot of ways... As an adult, I know that what they meant by "style" is what is now called a "set". Think pin curls or rag curls or hair wraps to get the right texture.

In short, it was pretty LHC friendly. You can use less hair friendly methods, but if you're learning from scratch it seems like it'd be easier to work with the less damaging techniques.

My mom wore bouffants in the 60s and reports the exact same thing. Hair was washed less, there was no other heat styling apart from the hood dryers, and most people didn't dye, with the exception of blondes, of course. She also wore falls and rats; I remember finding a fall as a kid and having fun playing with it.

If your hair can take a bit of mistreatment, maybe you can save these dos for special occasions and really enjoy them?

SongofLove
June 7th, 2012, 03:34 AM

Haha...That's the funniest!

But yeah, I fell in love with the big hair from the ballroom scene in the film Labyrinth:
http://i.imgur.com/cB2en.jpg

But when I found out that backcombing is used to create the volume ...:no:

Tota
June 7th, 2012, 04:15 AM
You could try volumizing powder. I use this one (http://www.beautezine.com/10-seconds-2-volume-with-got2b-powderful/) when I want volume. I think it's less damaging than teasing but you need to wash hair to get rid of it.

BlondieHepburn
June 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Aw, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great suggestions. It's so nice to be able to share hair frustrations with folks who understand.

Until my own hair rat is larger, I think I will try the cotton-stuffed-in-pantyhose and the smoothing-hair-over-a-pinned-curl tricks.

Hahaha. Brilliantly true.

I have a lot of volume at the roots (I wake up most mornings looking like Whitesnake) and any updo gets that poofy look really fast. That plus messy hair means if I take the time I can get bouffant-ish dos, but my hair has to be freshly washed (i.e. all dry and unmanageable)

Oh man! If I could wake up looking like Whitesnake (http://api.ning.com/files/WmuO0XZ0*KB*l-a0dQRFWmMZYzfFaFEdzfQ*wVQ9RzunU-AJRqIWBWayFJje*-syy5A5NEQTGX1vCivo2tkRwQ__/15472_whitesnake2.jpg) I'd be so happy! Haha.

When I used to tease my hair everyday+hairspray I didn't even notice that bad of damage...my damage was on the ends from flat ironing really.
I think that you could totally style your hair a few times like this and get away with it. Maybe it will make you happy and feel less hair style deprived.
When I am feeling irritated sometimes I just straighten my hair and make it look really nice.
It helps me feel good about myself in a way...like I look nice and polished and complete.

I did actually try it a tiny bit a couple months ago. While I saw no subsequent damage, it was such an awful pain to detangle. Which was another reason why I was thinking I shouldn't really do it again. *le sigh*

Oh, LHC, you truly are an amazing mélange of wonderful people. :flowers: