PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Natural hair-color vs. Henna

henné
June 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone!

I've recently been discussing whether to keep hennaing my hair or let it grow out and go with my natural hair color instead. I've been hennaing my hair for the past 10 years and I honestly don't even remember what I looked like when my entire hair was my natural hair color. I don't even have any pics of me from that time on my computer ...

So, please, help me decide :)

Here is my hair grown out about 5 inches:

Here is me w. hennaed hair:

Here is my grown out natural color:

Here is what it looks like hennaed:

I'm normally quite nervous to put pictures of my face on discussion forums, but I really need an advice. I will probably take the pics down in some time.

I'm sorry I don't have better pics :( These were all taken by my Mac and the lighting varies slightly and I have no 'outside' lighting/inside lighting pics.

Thanks y'all! :heartbeat

Vampyria
June 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I like the red better. It really suits you and it makes you look more lively. Plus it goes nice with your skin tone. :)

LaFlor
June 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I like the henna better!

ladyfey
June 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I like the natural so much more! It'd be easier too!

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Personally I prefer the henna, but whichever you prefer is probably best.

Trivial
June 6th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think you look beautiful in both! Bur hey, you had used henna for a decade, so maybe it can be fun to experience the natural color?

lapushka
June 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I like the natural hair, and honestly... I can't really tell *that* much of a difference between your natural hair color (the first 5 inches, right?) and the rest of the hair.

Zesty
June 6th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I like both, but I second lapushka in saying that the two colors don't seem that different to me. If you hadn't said something, I would have thought your first two pictures were identical other than perhaps the facial expression.

brave
June 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I agree, I can only barely tell a difference. See how you like it without maybe, and if you decide to change, hey! you tried both.

Siaraven
June 6th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I think you look stunning with your natural colour, it compliments the tone of your skin perfectly. The henna brings out the pinkish tines in your skin in the picture, but I think that natural look suits you better as it balances out the pink tones for a more porcelain look.

You are gorgeous by the way! :)

Yozhik
June 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Beautiful hair, either way!

I think I prefer your natural hair color, but both colors are really great on you. In your roots/tips comparison pics, I honestly can't tell that much of a difference, although with your 5" growth, your natural hair seems to be a bit cooler.

Also, your glasses are great! :thumbsup:

henné
June 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thank you all! And thanks for the compliments too :o

The pics are of really bad quality so I know it's a bit hard to tell, but there is a big difference in reality. I'm going to get on my old computer to see if I can find better ones.

I personally think that my natural hair color makes me look 'softer', younger and I don't have to use as much make-up to look good, but at the same time, I sometimes feel washed out with it.

Henna makes my hair feel thicker, coarser (I prefer that) and it makes my hairline look better (fuller). That said, I haven't really had my hair henna-free in 10 years, so I have no idea how it would feel now. I started hennaing because of hair loss.

Keep 'em opinions coming! :)

jacqueline101
June 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I like both.

Charybdis
June 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM
It looks like you have quite a strong auburn cast to your natural color as well. You look lovely either way, but I think the henna is a bit dark and that your natural color sets off your skin better. HTH!

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I like your natural colour better :)

ravenreed
June 6th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I like both equally. However, if you are using henna to strengthen your hair, it may be worth it to keep doing it. I wish henna was a flattering color for me, but alas, it doesn't work with my skin tone at all. I just look ill.

cmg
June 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Oh boy, really difficult to give some advice here. Your own hair colour is a really stunning rich brown, It really suits you. The dyed version of your hair also looks great and works super for you too. Its up to you really, what you want to do. If you are just after the health benefits, you might try non-colouring things like shikakai, sidr, amla or other washing stuffs, or cassia-treatments, which have a similar effect on the hair like henna. Soapnuts are said to help with various conditions. The ayurvedic traditions or native american stuffs may be worth checking out before you go ahead with the dyestuffs again. Good luck with whatever you choose!

/ CMG

Mesmerise
June 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I think it looks nice either way, but I always have a preference for henna I think :D.

Still...

If I wasn't going gray, I would go virgin myself. Later, when I started graying, I would probably go back to henna.

Given that I'm NOT ready to go gray, it's henna all the way for me!

Maybe you should consider going virgin at least for awhile? I sort of regret that I kept dyeing my hair all those years when it would have looked quite nice as virgin hair! And now, it's too late...

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM
As a previous poster stated, the henna brings out the pink tones, and the natural hair is more balanced. I prefer the natural.

PS, you have such lovely delicate features!

auburntressed
June 6th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I also have a hard time seeing the difference between natural vs. henna, which is the same boat I am in with my hair color. The henna looks just a shade darker and richer.

I started henna for scalp problems. Every time I contemplate letting my hair grow out natural, I get about six weeks in and then get so itchy and flaky that I feel like I could scratch my hairs out of their roots. So I henna again, and it feels better.

As long as you don't have that issue, I'd say go with how you feel. Both colors look lovely.

ladylowtide
June 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I like the henna better, I feel like you look a smidge washed out with the natural hair, but full disclosure I am biased in favor of red most of the time. :)

What I can say as that I henna for the benefits like yourself and other posters in the thread. For me it is probably not the most flattering, but the good things out weight the bad for me. so IDK, what you like best. People are always more attractive when they feel good about themselves.

Five of Five
June 6th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I like your natural colour! You have really pretty, soft features and I think the bright red is so eye-catching on its own that it steals some of the attention away. It depends what role you want your hair to take in your general appearance, I suppose.

I actually think there is quite a big difference between the photos (not so much in colour darkness/value but definitely in terms of coolness/warmth).

If you decide to go the natural route, cassia has some of the strengthening properties of henna with no-minimal colouring.

UltraBella
June 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I think you look stunning with your natural colour, it compliments the tone of your skin perfectly. The henna brings out the pinkish tines in your skin in the picture, but I think that natural look suits you better as it balances out the pink tones for a more porcelain look.

This is exactly what I thought too !!!!

longhairedlady
June 6th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I like your natural color better, and I agree with others, it tones down the pinkness.

HumanBean
June 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I vote natural.

You look positively dreamy in the first photo!

akilina
June 6th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I really do love how the henna looks with your face :)

pepperminttea
June 6th, 2012, 11:39 PM

Agreed. :)

henné
June 7th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I think it looks nice either way, but I always have a preference for henna I think :D.

Still...

If I wasn't going gray, I would go virgin myself. Later, when I started graying, I would probably go back to henna.

Given that I'm NOT ready to go gray, it's henna all the way for me!

Maybe you should consider going virgin at least for awhile? I sort of regret that I kept dyeing my hair all those years when it would have looked quite nice as virgin hair! And now, it's too late...

Graying is actually one of those reasons why I've been considering trying virgin hair ... After I let my hair grow out quite a bit, I found a few strands of white hair and I realized that it's now or never sort of thing ... :)

Rosetta
June 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I'm struggling with the same issue myself as you are, i.e. natural vs. henna :)
And what Mesmerise said (in the post you just quoted above) is one of the strongest reasons for of growing (or trying to grow) out natural for me, too.

I must admit I'm among the many who can't see much difference between your hennaed hair and natural (sorry!) - to me, your natural looks just slightly less warm and less dark; and also imo they both suit you equally.
But if I were you, I'd probably let grow natural for now, until 100% decided (if you aren't already) - it's always easy to go back to henna should one so feel, but way more difficult to go back to natural from henna (trust me, I know!) :)

SnowWhite
June 7th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I think you look better natural! :)

numbernine
June 7th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I like the natural colour better , it gives you a softer look
but the henna is nice too.

woolyleprechaun
June 7th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Henna! Im biased though...I think pretty much everyone should henna ;)

Lissandria
June 7th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Natural colour all the way.

Im growing out my henna, too :)

MonaMayfair
June 7th, 2012, 07:51 AM
On my computer I can't see much difference in the two colors, but I'm growing out my henna personally! (Not to go natural though, I'm blonde but I want brown hair now!)
What I'm intending to do, is to keep using cassia for the thickening/strengthening benefits. After all, if you just do roots with henna, which is what I was doing, you only get those benefits on the roots anyway.

Pierre
June 7th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I don't see much difference. As a lifer, I say keep hennaing.

ApatheticFairy
June 7th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I like the virgin hair better. The henna looks good, but your natural color is so shiny and makes your skin look pretty flawless. Besides, if you decide later on you want to henna and want it 110 percent, you can do that... going back to natural hair is waaaay harder.

henné
June 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM
So ... I've decided to go with my natural hair color :) Thank you all for your input! I really really appreciate it!

I have also gotten an idea to try to lighten my existing henna with honey and then put cassia/senna all over that. Do you think it's a bad idea? I just hate the difference between the new growth and my hennaed hair. I know on those pics it doesn't show as much, but in reality it's actually quite noticeable.

:blossom:

ravenheather
June 7th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Both look good, but I'm leaning towards henna.

Cleopatra18
June 7th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I think the henna looks better. Both colors are very close but the henna seems to intensify the color a little bit/makes it more vibrant which really suits your face and skin tone IMO

GlennaGirl
June 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Oh my goodness. The red really, really suits you.

Rosetta
June 8th, 2012, 01:56 AM
So ... I've decided to go with my natural hair color :) Thank you all for your input! I really really appreciate it!

I have also gotten an idea to try to lighten my existing henna with honey and then put cassia/senna all over that. Do you think it's a bad idea? I just hate the difference between the new growth and my hennaed hair. I know on those pics it doesn't show as much, but in reality it's actually quite noticeable.

Congratulations on your decision! :) (As I'm in the same boat right now :wink:)

I know how annoying the colour difference is (I hate two-tone hair too!), and your plan sounds like a good idea, at least it won't damage your hair.
(I've gone the bleach-dye-Colour B4 route myself, so maybe I'm not the best person to advise though :p)