PDA

View Full Version : Losing Hair Stuff

Amapola
June 6th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Am I the only one this happens to? Just this morning I lost yet *another* hair stick.

I've lost enough combs, ties, clips and sticks to start a small shop. :mad: They just slide out while I'm working around the farm. Fortunately I have not lost any of my "good" ones, just the day-to-day stuff but it is still aggravating!

Anyone else have this happen? Or maybe there is some sooper sekrit hair toy that never comes out no matter what? Sometimes I feel like glueing the darn things in!

Tabihito
June 6th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Brushes and ponytail holders, but that's because my little sister takes them and then she loses them. Of course, I do lose a lot of ponytail holders, but not quite as many as can be attributed to her. She uses them more often and usually uses two per ponytail, she swims and therefore has a locker room to lose them in... it makes sense, and at least she acknowledges it and usually buys them.

The brushes also tend to get eaten by the locker room.

However, bobby pins? I buy huge packs of them. I don't know where they all go!

FireFromWithin
June 6th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I can't find my hair fork anywhere! I have given up. Hair ties and bobby pins just seem to gradually vanish. I swear I put them back and then, none.

SnowWhite
June 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Bobby pins and hair elastics... I lose them all the time.
I can't help it! :confused:

gracenotes
June 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Bobby pins are always disappearing. I'll buy a giant pack of them, and months later they'll all be gone. Where do they go?!

Gumball
June 6th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Definitely the hair ties and bobby pins. I think it's because they're used together so often they've fallen in love and eloped. They didn't want me to know, and they didn't want to live at home anymore. :justy:

lapushka
June 6th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hair elastics, definitely, and little claw clips (my mom tends to have them). As far as hairsticks and forks and Ficcare/Flexi8s go, no I don't tend to lose them as they have their own little place in one of my bathroom cupboards.

Amapola
June 6th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I'm imagining an alternate universe with galaxies formed from bobby pins instead of stars and interstellar dust. :p

It is a question: where does it all go? The hair stick I lost today was black, but I am perfectly capable of losing stuff that is shocking pink or neon orange.

longhairedlady
June 6th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I lose hair stuff all the time! I usually find them 6 months later under the couch covered in dust.

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Spin pins. I swear, phantoms take them right from under my nose.

gracenotes
June 8th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Definitely the hair ties and bobby pins. I think it's because they're used together so often they've fallen in love and eloped. They didn't want me to know, and they didn't want to live at home anymore. :justy:

:laugh: Someone needs to write a story about this!

quintanion
June 8th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just bought a new comb today because I managed to lose BOTH of mine (plus my sleep cap and a set of cheap hairsticks) when I moved. Then again, I tend to misplace/lose a lot of things, and have no one else to blame because I live alone!

akilina
June 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I always lose hair ties and bobby pins too! A year ago I had a huge card full of bobby pins...I forget how many there were and now to this day I do not have ONE to speak of! Same with my skinny hair ties. The thick ones are too heavy duty. I bought myself a whole package and now they are all gone. Into a different dimension where all my lighters go to as well. *sigh*

kindacowboy
June 8th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I think bobby pins are the larvae of coat hangers. I always seem to have plenty of those!

GoblinTart
June 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM
2 months ago I bought a bajillion bobby pins. How many do I have.now? None. Grrr...I've also.lost my comb. When we were staying with my parents, it was my sister taking everything. Now It's my kids losing the stuff. She also took my $80 bottle of perfume my husband had given me and used every last drop. Grrrrrr.....I'm still mad about that. She said she thought I put it in my moms cabinet because I didn't want it anymore.

But yeah, all my hair stuff disappears. I have one tie left and I wear it on my wrist anytime It's not in my hair. I can't risk losing it.

jeanniet
June 9th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I never lose things, but recently I was working outside and realized I'd lost one of my Quattro titanium sticks. I was really upset because he doesn't make them anymore, and I looked and looked for it--even my kids looked for it--and couldn't find it. Finally after two days of going over the same areas again and again, it just popped out at me. I was so happy!

Zesty
June 9th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Since being in Spain I've lost two hair sticks, including my acrylic one, which is the only waterproof one I own! :( I'm hoping it'll show up before I move camp to Germany, because I use it for damp hair and to take showers in.

DaniVerde
June 9th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I think bobby pins are the larvae of coat hangers. I always seem to have plenty of those!

:spitting:Hahaha! Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!

PolarCathy
June 9th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I haven't had hairtoys for long enough yet. But a 10-pack of hair elastics just evaporated, one by one... I can't locate a single one. I always buy a 10-pack every two months or so. Probably not anymore - I haven't missed/needed them since I found the sticks and forks...

jacqueline101
June 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I've lost bobby pins flip clips and hair combs.

heidi w.
June 9th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Bobby pins are always disappearing. I'll buy a giant pack of them, and months later they'll all be gone. Where do they go?!

Where the lost sock went!
heidi w.

heidi w.
June 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
It can be hard to hold on to teensy objects. The OP is indicating that stuff is falling out of her hair on the farm, so something is awry when inserting X, Y or Z, and identify that fault would help tremendously for holding on to little tiny objects.

I have a screw box thing that I found at the hardware store, essentially a rectangular box with 3 rows of draws that are pull-drawers and can hold tiny clips, barettes, and twirl pins of sorts. It holds all my little bits. I have a vintage lipstick holder and pencil holder made out of paper mache (made in the 60s sometime, more than likely)....and they hold all my hairsticks. I built in a little top drawer in one of my cabinets and it holds larger objects such as a hand mirror, a box of pins (ok, not so large...) and my various brushes and combs.

For bobby pins that are not in use, and I'm out and about, I clip all the pins on one of the bobbypins and put them in a purse pocket. Same for hair ties. And I tend to carry at least one hairstick with me most of the time, in case it's needed in an emergency. The way I clip bobbypins together, whether large or small ones, is that I flip the pin to the u end, and push it onto one pin that holds all the pins. It's fairly efficient for not leaving a needed pin behind, and saving all my pins for the next round. Sometimes pockets are all I have, so in a pocket they're set til I get home.

It may not be overly elegant, but it works. And I don't have to spend money on a do-over, at least.

heidi w.

Tisiloves
June 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Where the lost sock went!
heidi w.

Don't be silly, everyone knows that lost socks are taken as tribute by the god of washing-machines.:gift:

annah
June 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I lose combs and brushes. I used to regularly lose my scrunchies, but they always reappeared. It's combs and brushes now. I must have 30 or so around the house somewhere. I am down to one comb, and one brush (probably because I don't use the brush, so it sits in the bathroom untouched). Every year for Christmas, I get a multipack of brushes/combs in my stocking. Every year by march, they are all missing. :/

Amapola
June 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM
It can be hard to hold on to teensy objects. The OP is indicating that stuff is falling out of her hair on the farm, so something is awry when inserting X, Y or Z, and identify that fault would help tremendously for holding on to little tiny objects.

...snip...

heidi w.

Ah. The problem is, I have straight, fine, thin hair that is more slippery than... Something really, really slippery (don't want to be too graphic here). Just when I think I've got that pin, clip or stick really secure, the whole shebang unwinds and dumps out whatever. Elastics even slide right off during the day. Very discouraging.

My hair is now a little longer and seems to hold things better, but it still happens.

I have the other problem too - bobby pins eloping with clothes hangers. Clips going bravely off to a new dimension. All I can say is that at least I haven't lost my comb. Yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time...

Lady Neeva
June 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I haven't lost anything yet. Yet considering that I'm just the opposite of neat (?) Well, all my hair toys are earned by months of penny pinching, no wonder

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Ah. The problem is, I have straight, fine, thin hair that is more slippery than... Something really, really slippery (don't want to be too graphic here). Just when I think I've got that pin, clip or stick really secure, the whole shebang unwinds and dumps out whatever. Elastics even slide right off during the day. Very discouraging.

My hair is now a little longer and seems to hold things better, but it still happens.

I have the other problem too - bobby pins eloping with clothes hangers. Clips going bravely off to a new dimension. All I can say is that at least I haven't lost my comb. Yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time...

I have an album and I have hair quite similar to yours. It gets better as it gets longer, and the more you come to know your hair, and how to do an updo that'll stay. It took me a lot of experimentation to learn how to deal with my fine, stick straight, smooth hair.

I feel your pain.

PS Buy a backup comb if you think you're prone to losing the current comb.

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Don't be silly, everyone knows that lost socks are taken as tribute by the god of washing-machines.:gift:

I was kind of thinking that maybe they got hitched! LOL
heidi w.
(I need to have a chat with that washing machine God.)

Mya
June 12th, 2012, 09:18 AM
However, bobby pins? I buy huge packs of them. I don't know where they all go!
Yeah, does anyone know where they go please? I think it's the same place of rubber erasers.

Amapola
June 12th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah, does anyone know where they go please? I think it's the same place of rubber erasers.

Once physicists come up with a unified theory of everything, no doubt it will all be explained. :p

What I do to counter-act this is to stash things all over the place... I have a stash of hair stuff in my purse, in my overnight bag, next to the bed, next to where I read etc. Places where I expect I might need it. It actually just means more places to lose stuff from.

furnival
June 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM

:thumbsup:Brilliant:)

I lost my favourite hair stick, my favourite gauge earring and four of my teeth all in one fell swoop down a flight of steps in March... I know which I'd like to find again.... :o

prof-annie
June 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
My cats steal my hair toys - from pins to sticks they love them all!
They have various nests around the house where they hide all of their ill gotten treasures.

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
My cats steal my hair toys - from pins to sticks they love them all!
They have various nests around the house where they hide all of their ill gotten treasures.

Either western myth dragon types or Magpie birds....My dog used to eat my hairsticks until she grew up. Now she's a Grand Duchess, and looks down on such behavior. Some things just take time.

Besides, she likes the cookies I give her far better. She loves when the mailman comes cause he always has a a dog bone cookie for her.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Once physicists come up with a unified theory of everything, no doubt it will all be explained. :p

What I do to counter-act this is to stash things all over the place... I have a stash of hair stuff in my purse, in my overnight bag, next to the bed, next to where I read etc. Places where I expect I might need it. It actually just means more places to lose stuff from.

Where's Sheldon when we need him?
heidi w.

RitaPG
June 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I lose ponytail holders all the time, and since they're black, and most of my wardrobe consists of black clothes, and I got stupid vision, I couldn't see them if I lost them in the middle of my stuff. I also lose a lot of bobby pins.

Other things like hairsticks or combs though, I've never lost any. My sister lost a Ketylo once, though :(

MintChocChip
June 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yep, hair grips and hair bands are the bane of my life! I've literally stocked up today. So now I have 100 hair grips and 28 metal free hair bands! We'll see how long that lasts... :rolleyes:

Oooh, and I lost my Body Shop wooden comb a couple of days after I bought it! So annoying!! I've bought a new one now and won't let it out of my sight. :D

XcaliburGirl
June 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Another here that loses bobby pins and elastics at an alarming rate. I know some are in the recesses of the couch and some are in the car under the seat. I used to put them on the bed post at night, and I still ran out of them. My current headboard doesn't have posts though. Instead, I have a messy drawer.

When my hair was longer, I lost my hair sticks surprisingly frequently--when I wasn't breaking them. Those were all cheap plastic, so I'm kind of afraid to buy nice sticks.

Neneka
June 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I never lose things. It's quite a miracle... My stuff is always so disorganized that it's odd that I don't lose anything. Maybe I just have some weird system of my own and it's just working. I have now huge piles of stuff around me on my table but I just know where everything is. :D

Charlottie
June 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I lose stuff all the time. I bought a 12 pack of bobbles a few weeks ago and they're nearly all gone already. I think what happens is I leave them laying around and my sisters take them and don't return them.

JesusFreak88
June 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I am better off when I am at school. There are only so many places things can hide in a dorm room. Home is a different story. If I can lose my fully grown cat (she likes to hide from me) imagine what I can do with my hair stuff. I just found my coconut oil that I lost last summer.

long&blonde
June 12th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hair elastics, claw clips, hair sticks.
Thankfully not my good hair sticks:which I happened to get in a longer size, but the handy short hairsticks that hide in your bun? I can't find any of them,and probably own about 6.

Dorothy
June 12th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I consider bobby pins and hair elastics as fairly disposable items, they die anyway, the hairbands break as I try to triple them around my slippery hair and the ends come off the bobby pins. So that doesn't hurt too much.

My other hair things tend to be expensive, and I don't lose that stuff. Straight slippery hair is interesting - if you twist it tightly, you can barely push anything into it - it's like wood - and I've broken combs and hair forks trying, to my dismay. But once they're in there, they don't move. If I don't twist my hair tightly enough in a twisted style, the object will fall out before I leave the bedroom. Non twisted styles such as the lazy wrap work only when there's an over/under/over action, in other words, when 2 parts of your hair are pushing the device away from your head, and one part is pulling it toward your head. I did lose a stick in the garden once from a lazy wrap - I think a rose pulled it out of my hair and threw it in the mulch, never to be seen again.