PDA

View Full Version : How to give it up?

tweetylonghair
June 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I was sitting her thinking ...So how do we give up coloring our hair? When we color it for other reasons than grey..just do it for a change or something different.....Then how do we convince and stick with not doing it.. I had some friends over and since they wanted me to do there hair then of course I had to do mine too right :) so I added ....you ready for this.....I added black to bang front and side areas :confused: I had 3 inches of virging hair :( not no more...Well I definetly see how it is true ..in growing long hair is patience and just time.

P.S. at least it doesnt look horrible..BUT. The black does cover up the faded out bleachy hair from funky colors.

LaFlor
June 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
It all depends on the reasons you are giving up dye. If you hate your natural color it would be harder, because the temptation is always going to be there. I tried to give up highlighting my hair, but I wasn't happy with my natural color, so I went back to highlighting. Having virgin hair isn't a requirement for long hair.

If you like your virgin har, then you probably need to be strict about the 2 week (or more) rule when making changes :) Maybe next time just use a semi permanent when you are feeling the need to change. You will get it out of your system and it will wash out in a few washes. I always do this when I get the desire to go darker or to try red hair. I usually feel happy to have the blonde back after the week is over!

onlyforhim
June 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM
just take a pic of your hair when it starts growing you will notice that nothing suits your skin color...eyebrow color...eye color as much as your own hair color (God knows what's best for us :) ). What you really need to do is be patient till the hair that surrounds your face is all natural color ...it might take a year.. but then you will realize how beautiful your natural color is
Plus ..virigin hair will have better shine... better texture..better everything
dyed hair will be brittle..it will change color all the time too..

I used to dye my hair it looked cute etc. but it was never better than my own hair color on me...especially that i have black eyebrows that are darker than my own hair color

good luck and you have nice hair

pink.sara
June 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
just take a pic of your hair when it starts growing you will notice that nothing suits your skin color...eyebrow color...eye color as much as your own hair color (God knows what's best for us :) ). What you really need to do is be patient till the hair that surrounds your face is all natural color ...it might take a year.. but then you will realize how beautiful your natural color is
Plus ..virigin hair will have better shine... better texture..better everything
dyed hair will be brittle..it will change color all the time too..

I used to dye my hair it looked cute etc. but it was never better than my own hair color on me...especially that i have black eyebrows that are darker than my own hair color

good luck and you have nice hair

I actually dont agree with this, some people have a natural colour that just isn't flattering at all.

My natural colour is a super dark auburn with a ton of red... sounds great doesn't it? And it looks awesome if I manage to tan... However the rest of the year my wierd yellow toned skin with extremely high pink in my cheeks clashes with it something fierce.

Even worse is if it gets to see the sun... instant ginger streaks in what from any distance over 5 feet looks black. Seriously, it skips red and goes straight for the ginger tiger stripe look.

SO thats yellowy skin with pink cheeked hotspots and black/ginger striped hair. And black eyebrows.

Horrid.

Also my best friend has super pale porcelain skin with superpale blue eyes and that shade of blonde that's like... is it blonde, is it grey, no it's colourless hair. She looks ghostly without some highlights (she uses sun in) or some darker colour added.

Plus I love to dye my hair fun colours, so I'm afraid for me it will never stop. Perhaps it will soften to just highlights or henna from my current extremes but it will never stop being fun to experiment. :)

Amapola
June 6th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Do what makes you happy. It is your hair, you are the one who looks at it every day, so do what pleases you and it will be good.

pepperminttea
June 6th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I think if you want to stick with growing it out, you have to really love - or learn to love - your natural colour as it is, whatever it may be. Think of growing it out as the longest dye job you'll ever get. ;)

Can I ask what your natural colour is, OP? :)

AspenSong
June 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I can relate - It took me four years to grow out my blonde hair, and let my hair grow into it's natural color - now 4 years later, I've finally got hip length, natural hair. And I tell ya, the first couple years were the worst! Having spent SO much time dyeing it, it was hard to stop.
I mean obviously, it's your hair and you live with it - do what you like, you can always look into less damaging ways of coloring it, etc.
But if you want to stop....it's just going to take extreme patience and willpower and you simply have to want natural hair more than the alternative! :) It's do-able, but hard.

From my experience, it was hard but like anything else, it got easier with time. And the way my hair feels now and not having to worry about touching it up, etc...was totally worth it. :)

RitaCeleste
June 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I grew my hair out all natural to my waist. I hate my natural color and my natural texture is nothing to write home about either. It was coarse and had waves. I dutifully finger combed and used a leave in. Never brushed to avoid the frizz etc. I wore it up for work. I hated it! I was ripped. I did not have hair commercial hair. There it was, virgin hair to my waist and I hated it. Maybe it would have grown longer, but I didn't even care. The last thing I wanted was more of the same. I cut it, I colored it and was happy. It actually feels so much softer after coloring. Go figure. I'll keep my color damaged hair on my head. I wouldn't even mind more of it. It can grow as long as it can because I shall leave it on my head. If it comes down to wearing it up all the time or cutting it, I'm cutting it back. I don't like to wear it up, it always pulls. I can live with it like this. There are some things I don't want to live with.

faellen
June 6th, 2012, 02:33 PM
My main reason for giving up on the dye is laziness, cost, and to avoid further damage. I'd been dyeing my hair since my early teens. In March this year I had an accident and suffered a hand injury - I was unable to use my hand for 2 months, therefore no hair dyeing (I didn't like others doing it for me). I couldn't help but notice that the condition of my hair vastly improved during this time - it was much softer, shinier, and less prone to tangling. Also, I didn't have to worry about buying dyes, which saved some money, and I hated how time consuming hair dyeing was. So! Natural colour, here I come.

It all depends on the reasons you are giving up dye. If you hate your natural color it would be harder, because the temptation is always going to be there.

Oh god tell me about it, lol! When I first saw my natural colour coming through, my first thought was - "Yuck!"
But luckily now more is appearing, it seems a bit lighter and I am growing more accustomed to it. Thankfully!

tweetylonghair
June 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I think if you want to stick with growing it out, you have to really love - or learn to love - your natural colour as it is, whatever it may be. Think of growing it out as the longest dye job you'll ever get. ;)

Can I ask what your natural colour is, OP? :)

My natural color is some shade of brown...just brown.

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Giving up dye revolves around realizing *why* you needed to dye.

As someone who dyed my hair non stop from the age at which I was allowed to start, (14) I was totally addicted. If I got bored of a color, I would dye and dye and dye over already fresh dye because I was just simply naive about damage.

The reason I dyed my hair was the same reason I kept cutting my hair to bobs/pixies/etc: I got bored easily with my appearance and wanted to make a change.

Replacements: Hats, scarves, NAIL POLISH!!!, new hair styles (a plus with long hair vs a pixie), etc.

Learning to love your natural color definitely helps if you want to stop dying, but its been over a year now and I'm getting a tad bored with my natural brown so I just bought some henna. You can still alter your color without damaging your hair! :)

Mesmerise
June 6th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I actually dont agree with this, some people have a natural colour that just isn't flattering at all.

My natural colour is a super dark auburn with a ton of red... sounds great doesn't it? And it looks awesome if I manage to tan... However the rest of the year my wierd yellow toned skin with extremely high pink in my cheeks clashes with it something fierce.

Even worse is if it gets to see the sun... instant ginger streaks in what from any distance over 5 feet looks black. Seriously, it skips red and goes straight for the ginger tiger stripe look.

SO thats yellowy skin with pink cheeked hotspots and black/ginger striped hair. And black eyebrows.

Horrid.

Also my best friend has super pale porcelain skin with superpale blue eyes and that shade of blonde that's like... is it blonde, is it grey, no it's colourless hair. She looks ghostly without some highlights (she uses sun in) or some darker colour added.

Plus I love to dye my hair fun colours, so I'm afraid for me it will never stop. Perhaps it will soften to just highlights or henna from my current extremes but it will never stop being fun to experiment. :)

Yeah, I find it interesting that people think your natural colour HAS to suit you... as if your genes get together and think "well we're giving her this complexion, so we'd better match it with the right shade of hair!" it just doesn't happen like that!! Genetics are a big old mix of stuff... lots of people have features that don't suit, why should hair be different? My nose would look better on my face if it were smaller, my chin would look better if it were more prominent! If your genetics matched your hair and skin, then surely your genetics would make you hot in general :D.