PDA

View Full Version : Curling hair on the go?

Dreamxys
June 6th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Hi all!

So, onto the question I'm in a LDR and my boyfriend is in Paris. After about a month or so after my finals i'll go and visit him. The thing is, i'm with a very straight hair that's hard to keep curl (curling irons just don't work). So i'm always searching for ways to have a curly hair without heat and possibly without rollers, since i don't want my boyfriend to see me with a head full of pins, rollers etc... Do you have any suggestions on what hairstyle can be nice to wear during the day and will give me a good set of curls/waves? I searched for thread like this, but i couldn't find one, so if there is already one i apologise.

P.S. I looked into curling hair with tin foil ( i know it's with heat, but it seems less damaging, and long-lasting, i'll see about that), i have a month to try everything you suggest haha

Thank you!

HintOfMint
June 6th, 2012, 03:06 AM
A bun placed high on the head routinely gives me great bun waves/curls. They're loose but they look very deliberate. You could also try pin curls, just arranged in a "hairstyle" of sorts.

If you're not shy about travelling in rollers, you could always give that a go. Just remember to take them out before you see him! I was waiting for a plane not too long ago, and the gate next to mine was departing to Santiago, Chile and so many of the women were setting their hair at the gate, or having it ready in curlers so that it would be ready by the time they get off the plane. I'm guessing it's a cultural thing, but it's another option if you're not shy. Of course you could hide the curlers under a scarf in a Audrey Hepburn/Grace Kelly sort of way.

Good luck and have fun meeting your boyfriend!

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 03:30 AM
You could try a sock bun or headband curls, they make a pretty nice hairstyle/curl transition.

Kiwiwi
June 6th, 2012, 04:54 AM
I suggest reading this topic (and watching the video).
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=94485

She has very straight hair and look at the curls/waves she gets from this! Beautiful! :)

anime_length
June 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM
twin french rope braids might do it. plus, they look really cute when they're in.

Asma
June 6th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Sock bun curls!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3CryIfIyK8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y
:)

lunalocks
June 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I get the best waves from a seashell bun on top of my head, after rubbing g 2 drops of baby oil in my hands and running them through the ends and lower 2/3s of my hair.

Amygirl8
June 6th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Various buns ought to do it, such as sock buns or the popular beebut bun (I've yet to try the beebut, I can't seem to find the instructions for it :P)
There was this one nice bun that incorporated pin curls nicely. It was basically a ponytail, and you take strands, curl them around your fingers and pin them around the ponytail. It looks really pretty and looks like it would give great curls :nod:
There was also this four stranded bun I saw on youtube, that involved twisting the separate strands around the ponytail to make spirals, that would probably give some form of waves or curls.
You could always try cocoon curls too, they might suffice. Everyone has given great suggestions!

afu
June 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM
My favourite method for this is a french rope braid, it looks very pretty and when taken down gives very natural looking waves and spirals

LizTheLyre
June 6th, 2012, 11:11 PM
if your hair is short enough, you could do kind of a Grecian/retro look with elevated pin curls below you ears around the back of your hair. there's a bunch of tutorials on youtube for headband curls, but they don't work super great on hair longer then bsl and if you don't have bangs, i don't think the hairstyle as a hairstyle itself looks polished.

Dreamxys
June 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Thank you all so much!

I tried the sock bun curls, and i think i have to give it a few more tries. It turned out in medium to big curls all around, but i guess i tied the elastic too tight because i had a weird bump.

I'll try all the other suggestions and get back to you, i'm searching for how to do the double french rope braids.

P.S. I also tried the tin foil curls, it took me about an hour and a half (thinking i could send DBF for that amount of time somewhere). And from my layered, long straight hair i got really tight curls. It's nice especially to see what you can do with your hair (never seen myself with a big close to a fro hair.)
Ah, no more procrastination, have to get back to those books!

Thank you guys again, you're all so sweet, have a great day/ peaceful night.

Siaraven
June 7th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I do a variation on headband curls as a hairstyle to work and then when iv finished work Iv got lovely curls for when i go out afterwards.

Instead of a headband i wear a red or navy paisly scarf/hankerchief and wear higher up on my head rather than on my forehead. With red lipstick/gloss and black eyeliner, it looks very retro. Maybe you could give this a go? If I use a gel spray the curls last forever too :)